• Published 18th Nov 2013
  • 4,070 Views, 200 Comments

True Flight - Dasponi



Scootaloo got the two things she wanted most of all; she got a family and she could fly. There's just two problems; She already had a family, and there are lingering doubts about her ability to fly.

  • ...
7
 200
 4,070

Chapter Nine; An Abrupt Ending


When Scootaloo next woke up it was bright and sunny outside. She stretched a little as she came too. Things weren't quite as sore this time and it didn't hurt so much. Just resting some more had helped a fair bit. She moved her legs around a little to see how they felt. They got less and less sore as she moved them around. Part of the problem was that she hadn't moved much at all and her body was getting a bit stiff.

“Mornin' Scoots.” Scootaloo heard someone call cheerfully. She lifted her head up and saw that Rainbow Dash was awake and watching her fidget around to get some feeling back in her body. Star Shine was still asleep on Rainbow Dash. He was just below her chest so that he didn't apply any pressure to her already injured ribs. Somepony had been kind enough to get him something to sit on so he could lean across her comfortably. The bed was just a little too high for him to sit on the floor.

“Mornin' Mom.” Scootaloo replied. She was happy to see Rainbow Dash was fine, or appeared to be. All of her bandages were covered by hospital clothes and bed sheets. Her cheerfulness was always infectious too, much like Pinkie Pie's. “He still asleep then?” Scootaloo asked, motioning towards Star Shine with his head. He shifted a little in his sleep, almost as if he knew he was being talked about. Rainbow Dash smiled down at him and stroked his mane a little.

“He never was one for early mornings was he?” Rainbow Dash joked. Scootaloo giggled a little.

“I kinda woke him up in the night too...” she said, shifting sheepishly.

“You alright? You didn't have a bad dream or something did you?” Rainbow Dash asked, curious as to why Scootaloo was up during the night and a little worried about her. Scootaloo shook her head.

“I woke up and it hurt when I moved my wings. He woke up when I cried out a little is all.” Scootaloo explained. She didn't really want to admit to crying out in pain to Rainbow Dash.

“Oh...right...” Rainbow Dash said simply, looking down. She was aware what was wrong with Scootaloo's wings and from the sounds of it, Scootaloo herself wasn't. This wasn't going to be easy.

“Is...is something wrong with my wings? Star Shine said there was but he wouldn't tell me. He wanted you to do it. What were you going to say before you...fell?” Scootaloo asked. Rainbow Dash sighed.

“Trust that idiot to get me to give bad news...” Rainbow Dash said under her breath.

“It'll hurt less coming from you, tha's all.” Star Shine mumbled quietly in his “sleep”. “So tell her already.” he added, opening an eye to look at Rainbow Dash. His lips curled into a smile at her surprised expression.

“How long have you been awake?” Rainbow Dash asked him. Star Shine lifted himself off of Rainbow Dash and had a good stretch before replying.

“Just a few minutes. If you two are going to talk loudly then I'm gonna wake up.” Star Shine explained. “Now I believe Scootaloo asked you a question.” he added. He gestured to Scootaloo with a foreleg, inviting Rainbow Dash to answer her questions.

“Bad news? What bad news?” Scootaloo asked nervously.

“Don't worry, there's good news too.” Star Shine reassured her. Bad news is still bad news; Scootaloo was hardly reassured.

“The bad news is...I'm afraid your wings are broken. You hurt them when you hit the ground.” Rainbow Dash said sadly. Scootaloo started crying. She'd just started flying and now it was gone, she wouldn't fly again. Her cruel father had succeeded in ruining her life and robbing her of her happiness. Rainbow Dash whispered something in Star Shine's ear and he obliged with a small smile. He very carefully moved Rainbow Dash's bed closer to Scootaloo's until they were close together. Rainbow Dash reached out a foreleg and stroked Scootaloo's mane gently.

“What's...what's the good news?” Scootaloo asked between sobs. She didn't think there was such a thing as good news after being told something like that.

“The good news-” Star Shine began before Rainbow Dash interrupted him. She wasn't going to let him make her say the bad news and be the reason Scootaloo cried.

“The good news is that they're healing, and you'll be flying again in no time.” Rainbow Dash said quickly before Star Shine had a chance to interrupt her. Scootaloo stopped crying and looked up at them both.

“You...you mean it?” Scootaloo asked, the news not quite having settled in yet.

“I wouldn't say it if I didn't mean it Scoots.” Rainbow Dash replied, nodding.

“You won't even need the brace anymore either. You flew on your own and nothing can change that now.” Star Shine added. He could still get some good things in and earn some brownie points with the little filly.

“So what did I really need it for?” Scootaloo asked. “You were gonna tell me something before...it happened.” she added, facing Rainbow Dash as best as she could. She wanted to just get up but wasn't sure if she was able to yet. Better to wait for a doctor or nurse to tell her she could than try it and risk injuring something else. Or worse, injruing her wings even more. Rainbow Dash sighed.

“You had some kinda disease or something. Star Shine can explain it better than me. Basically you couldn't use magic, which you need to fly, and the brace gave you the magic you didn't have. When it ran outta magic, like it did then, you couldn't fly.” Rainbow Dash explained. Scootaloo wasn't really sure how to react.

“A disease? Couldn't use magic? Oh I'm confused...” Scootaloo said, scrunching her face up as she tried to make sense of what Rainbow Dash had said.

“Then this is where it gets technical and boring.” Star Shine said, laughing a little. “You see...” he started before going on to explain Pegasus flight to Scootaloo. How they use magic to fly even if the vast majority of them aren't really aware of it. He then went on to explain how a Pegasus could be born without the ability to call on this magic to fly, or even to stay on clouds. That had confused Scootaloo, as she could stand on clouds just fine. Between all three of them they were able to work everything out. Every question that they had at least. Scootaloo had been able to walk on clouds because she had been determined to fly enough to let some out, but not enough to fly. She was a fully functioning Pegasus, albeit one who wasn't able to fly. The reason her wingpower hadn't grown naturally and was so low despite her age was also because of this disease; Vacuus Medeis Star Shine called it. A Pegasi's wings naturally strengthen over time and because no magic was going to them, hers didn't. That was also why even though she wasn't exercising her wings much around the time of Diamond Tiara's arrest, she was able to fly. Her wings had naturally grown stronger just by being in the brace.

“So why was I able to fly?” Scootaloo asked after a lot of the boring and technical stuff was out of the way.

“That one's easy.” Star Shine replied, puffing out his chest. “You wanted to save Dashie here.” Star Shine explained, patting Rainbow Dash on the head. She didn't care too much for the patronising behaviour. “Your determination to fly, to save her, saved the both of you.”

“What about the Gorge?” Scootaloo asked quietly. She didn't really want to remember that moment but she was curious. Curiosity won out in the end.

“The Gorge? What about it?” Rainbow Dash asked.

“When I...jumped, I thought I really wanted to fly then. But it wasn't enough. I'd have died if Rainbow wasn't there to catch me.” Scootaloo said sadly. Rainbow Dash winced a little at the memory as she realised that's what Scootaloo was referring to.

“I told you, your determination to save Dashie caused it. Your want to save yourself might have been enough too, which is why Pegasi train their young the way they do, but I don't know how much you really wanted to save yourself back then.” Star Shine explained. Scootaloo nervously laughed her agreement. She had been in quite a bad place then. If she wasn't then she wouldn't have done something like that in the first place.

“Why...err...why were you...sleeping like that?” Scootaloo asked the pair of them, nervously shifting her forelegs under her sheets and playing with her hooves. It would have been cuter if either Rainbow Dash or Star Shine could see it.

“Oh...” Rainbow Dash said, her cheeks going a little red.

“That...” Star Shine added, his own cheeks doing the same.

“We kinda had...a moment.” Rainbow Dash said, blushing a little harder as she remembered the kiss she had given Star Shine after she got hurt.

“Or two...” Star Shine added, remembering the second kiss in the hospital. The one he had given Rainbow Dash partly to shut her friends up.

“Oh Celestia.” Rainbow Dash blustered, hiding her face as she remembered that one too. Scootaloo couldn't help but giggle at their embarrassment.

“Awwwwwwwwwww.” Scootaloo teased, laughing louder as Star Shine also did his best to make himself as small as possible. They were almost too easy to laugh at. “So are you guys, like, together or something now?” Scootaloo asked.

“I...guess we are yeah.” Star Shine replied, looking at Rainbow Dash. “I mean, we are aren't we? I think we are. We have to be after that. You don't go kissing random colts like that do you? Oh, I hope not. I'd hate to be with someone who does something like that. Assuming I'm even with them. I'd be way too worried. Unless I'm not with them. I wouldn't have any right to stop them then.” Star Shine blustered. Even the tips of his ears were going red at this point. “Oh dear, I'm rambling aren't I?” he asked when he realised that he was, indeed, rambling. Rainbow Dash laughed at him.

“Only a little. Now come here, I've got something for you.” Rainbow Dash replied. Star Shine leaned down, curious. Rainbow Dash gave him a quick kiss on the cheek and he almost fainted. Scootaloo laughed at his reaction. She'd told Rainbow Dash a while ago that he tends to break when she kissed him.

“I'd like to be...together with you, yes.” Rainbow Dash said, giving Star Shine another kiss on the cheek. He made the most delightfully squeaky noise when she did that. He'd make many more in their time together. Rainbow Dash would make a few of her own too. The main thing was that they would be together. Together with Scootaloo.

A great little family. The one Scootaloo had dreamed of having. The one Star Shine had dreamed of having. Both of them were even with the pony they'd dreamed of being a family with. It's funny how life can work out like that. The people who love you will always love you. The people who will always be there for you will always, always be there for you when you need them. The story may end, as all good stories must, but the world keeps turning and the universe keeps going. New stories come and go. Some are told, and some aren't. Every story is important though, as is every little pony.

They laugh, love, and live. Star Shine, Scootaloo and Rainbow Dash had laughed, loved, and now it was time for all three of them to really live. Time for this story to end, but for their world to keep on going.

Author's Note:

When I was writing this chapter, I actually didn't intend it to be the final chapter. When I was writing it though I noticed that it really felt like an ending. I took the choice to make it an ending, rather than let it keep going after it was naturally done. As I said, this story might end but the universe lives on. There is of course an epilogue dealing with the future of one Grey Feather, as well as Scootaloo flying again. I originally planned to make her flying a seperate story but after some thinking, I realised it was better to make an epilogue that's about the length of a one shot and combine the two ideas.

Thanks for sticking with me through this story, and here's to all the other ones I'll tell. None of any of this would have been possible without any of you guys.

It really does feel weird to end this, but as I've said here and in the comments this is it. There's nothing else left in this story. The bad guy has been dealt with and the boy got the girl. There's not much left after that in any story. Damn this day has been sad for me! First of all I overslept so I didn't get to talk to my girlfriend this morning, and then I got screwed around a lot and I've barely had time to rest (I'm uploading this from my sister's house) and now I'm finishing a story without realising it was going to happen.

...damn.