• Published 18th Nov 2013
  • 4,067 Views, 200 Comments

True Flight - Dasponi



Scootaloo got the two things she wanted most of all; she got a family and she could fly. There's just two problems; She already had a family, and there are lingering doubts about her ability to fly.

  • ...
7
 200
 4,067

Chapter Two; Returns

Today was going to be a pretty awesome day. Of that Scootaloo was sure. Star Shine had sent a letter ahead of himself saying that he had finished his business in Canterlot and would be home the next day. He’d actually finished a bit ahead of schedule too. He was “just that good” in his own words. Rainbow Dash was pretty happy about his return too. She hadn’t really caught his hint a few weeks ago that she could, and should, come up with any and every excuse for him to pop back to Ponyville. As such, it had been a few weeks since either of them had seen him. Scootaloo was still wearing her brace. Star Shine had come up with the pretty smart idea of telling her to keep wearing it so that when he came back, she was quite a speedy flyer. She wasn’t too interested in doing that at first until Rainbow Dash had chimed in. She wanted Scootaloo to keep wearing the brace too, for Star Shine’s sake. She had told Scootaloo that if she had continued to wear it then she would get faster quicker and would be able to keep up with her sooner. Scootaloo had relished at the chance to be able to keep up with Rainbow Dash and kept it on. It was almost drained of power so they’d get their answers about her condition soon. Perhaps even by the end of the day if she did a fair amount of flying. It was a fine Saturday morning when Rainbow Dash and Scootaloo found themselves at the train station and waiting for him to return.

“When’s his train comin’ mom?” Scootaloo asked Rainbow Dash. She was getting pretty used to calling Rainbow Dash “mom” and the magic was wearing off. She still smiled a little every time she said it. She had a mom. The greatest mom in Equestria. Rainbow Dash smiled herself and looked at the clock.

“In just a few more minutes…” she said as she noted the time. A train whistle blew in the distance and Scootaloo jumped up and down as she saw the train approach. Rainbow Dash giggled at the display as the train came into the station and stopped. Ponies unloaded from the train and while there were a lot of ponies, it looked like Star Shine was nowhere to be found. Scootaloo ran across the platform to try and find him but he wasn’t there amongst the crowd. She went back to Rainbow Dash as the crowd dispersed and it looked like he really wasn’t there. Rainbow Dash was looking around herself. Both of them were so busy looking that they didn’t notice the dark blue Pegasus colt that landed next to them.

“So...who are we waiting for?” Star Shine, for it was he, said to Rainbow Dash.

“Star Shine, he’s due back today.” Rainbow Dash replied automatically. She wasn’t really paying attention so she didn’t recognise the voice, and she didn’t bother turning to see who talked to her.

“That handsome devil? He flew out the train. Wanted to surprise you.” Star Shine replied, stifling a laugh. Rainbow Dash turned around and her eyes lit up when she realised it was him. “Surprise!” he called out when it finally clicked in Rainbow Dash’s brain. Scootaloo turned around at that. She jumped onto Rainbow Dash’s back and used her as a stepping stone to jump and wrap her forelegs around Star Shine’s neck in a tight hug.

“You flew out the train? Why’d you do that?” Rainbow Dash asked as she hugged him too. Star Shine smiled and nuzzled against them both.

“There was a drunk guy on there. It got a bit too annoying and so I thought I’d hop out early and surprise you guys. Come on, let’s go home and I’ll tell you all about it.” Star Shine replied. There was still a small crowd around them and Star Shine was looking forward to getting home. He never was very good with crowds. “How’s your flying?” Star Shine asked Scootaloo as they separated. Scootaloo flapped her wings and hovered in the air.

“I’m doing pretty good. I’ll be as fast as you soon.” Scootaloo teased as she went higher into the air.

“You’ve been around Dashie too long.” Star Shine laughed as he took off after her.

“Hey what’s that supposed to mean?!” Rainbow Dash called out as she took off after them both. Star Shine laughed as he played games with both Rainbow Dash and Scootaloo. Scootaloo was having a mock race with him and Rainbow Dash was trying to catch him to attack him. He would catch up to Scootaloo and then have to duck out of the way as Rainbow Dash came at him. All three of them also couldn't help but laugh. Rainbow Dash stopped trying to get Star Shine in the interests of a play fight and it became a matter of her trying to stall him so that Scootaloo would win the race back to the house. When she first started flying she couldn't move very well but a week's worth of lessons with Star Shine in Canterlot and then a few weeks with Rainbow Dash had definitely helped. She was nowhere near Star Shine or Rainbow Dash in terms of speed or ability but she was getting along quite well. Soon she'd be as far along as a filly would be at her age. After that she could move past that and become better than she should be. Not bad for a little pony who never thought she could fly and had only been flying for a few weeks.

Back at the train station the crowd had almost completely dispersed. There were only a few ponies left now. Most of them were waiting either for the next train, or for a loved one that was supposed to meet them. One of them was waiting simply because he had no clue where to go next. Grey Feather was his name. He had been named after his dark grey coat. Now there was also grey strands in his once light green mane and tail. His mane was a little long and dishevelled these days. He'd never really taken care of himself much. He had three feathers arranged like a fan for a cutie mark. In a way the things in his life had come and even gone in threes. There were originally three members of his family and when the fourth one came along, they lost one. He even lost the other two over time. Nowadays he mostly drank in threes and saw three of things. He'd sobered up quite a lot on the journey over to Ponyville. He had drank a lot on the train and eventually they had stopped serving him more cider in the hopes he might be less of a nuisance when sober. He stopped arguing with passengers when they threatened to kick him out of the train if he kept it up. He still saw a blue colt Pegasus fly out of a door after becoming too irritated. This was the pony that Star Shine had mentioned to Rainbow Dash and he was, of course, Scootaloo's dad. Grey Feather looked around to find somepony to ask for directions. He had absolutely no idea who Rainbow Dash was and didn't realise that just about anypony he asked would be able to tell him where Rainbow Dash lived. His eyes found a pure white Unicorn with a purple curled mane and tail. He wasn't sure if she knew where Rainbow Dash was. She just looked very beautiful to him. She even reminded him a little of Scootaloo's mother. If his mind wasn't so focused on Scootaloo he might have tried something with her. As it was, he just casually approached Rarity like he knew exactly what he was doing. In a way, he did.

“'Scuse me miss, but I don't suppose you could tell me where a Rainbow Dash lives could you?” Grey Feather asked Rarity. She turned up her nose at him before she could consider her reaction. He was quite odorous. He was smiling at her too and something about his smile unsettled Rarity. Still, help was needed and she could hardly ignore a pony in need.

“Rainbow Dash? Whatever do you want with her?” Rarity asked. She'd learned a lesson or two about simply telling everything she knew immediately. Plus this was her friend. She was hardly about to send danger to her friend. Grey Feather's smile grew wider and unnerved Rarity even more. It was partly because Rarity obviously knew who Rainbow Dash was and where to find her, and also because she sounded like she was from Canterlot. She reminded Grey Feather of Scootaloo's mother even more. Perhaps after he was done with Scootaloo he could go and celebrate with this fine mare. His mind was still focused on the task. He found he had an odd level of sharpness in his sobriety. It had been just that long since he'd been this sober for this long.

“I got a letter from the orphanage you see. I hear she's adopted my little Scootaloo and until now, I thought she wasn't alive anymore. I just want to see my little girl again, that's all.” Grey Feather explained. Work them with emotion, play with their heartstrings. Having a dead daughter had gotten him out of trouble before. Ponies tended to cut him a little slack when they found out about his past. There was just one tiny problem; Rarity, like most of Ponyville, knew the real truth about his past and missing daughter.

“You're...you're Scootaloo's father?” Rarity asked, her eyes wide. She backed away a little which confused Grey Feather. Why would she react like that? Had the brat told ponies about him? There was no way that could be true or he'd have never gotten that letter in the first place.

“Please, I just want to see my little girl.” Grey Feather pleaded. He almost looked like he was crying. Rarity would have fallen for it if she didn't know all about him.

“Little girl? She's better off well away from you! I'll never tell you where she is! How dare you show your face again after everything you did to her?!” Rarity shouted at him. Grey Feather's face fell as he dropped the charade. They knew. Or at least this Unicorn did. So much for his plans for her later. He sighed and snapped his wings out wide. “What...what are you doing?” Rarity asked nervously as Grey Feather approached her. She didn't like the look in his eyes and the way he had just stopped pretending. If she wouldn't tell him what he wanted to know, then Grey Feather was going to make her talk. He pounced on Rarity and dragged her high up in the air while she screamed. He stopped ascending when he thought that they were high enough.

“I'll ask you again; Where is Rainbow Dash? Tell me now or I'll drop you.” Grey Feather threatened, lifting Rarity up so he could look her in the eyes. She looked positively terrified. Good. She was also crying out of sheer fright and worry. She looked down and gulped. There were barely any ponies below them and it looked like none of them had really noticed what had happened. Even if they did none of them were Pegasi. The main population of Ponyville was Earth Ponies. She was alone. In the sky. With a mad pony. She didn't have a choice.

“She...she must be with Scootaloo and Star Shine. I came to see if I could meet him but I guess I missed him. They'll be on their way home, I guess.” Rarity said quietly.

“And where does she live?!” Grey Feather hissed. His eyes were wide with insanity. Rarity couldn't bear to look at them and she didn't want to look down. She'd had her fair share of bad experiences in the sky and falling. Rainbow Dash wasn't around to catch her this time like the time at the Best Young Fliers competition. She settled for looking off to the side.

“It's a large cloud house, on the outskirts of town. You can't miss it.” Rarity said dejectedly. She'd sold out her friend. It being for her own safety didn't soften the blow much. She hoped he didn't ask her to point it out. Luckily for Rarity he didn't. Instead he flew them back down to the ground and dropped Rarity off. She didn't know it but he'd actually have never been able to hurt her. Other ponies, maybe, but not her. She reminded him too much of Scootaloo's mother. It might have just saved her life. Grey Feather flew off without another word and flew back up high to see out as far as he could. Rarity ran to Twilight's house as fast as she could.

“Oh forgive me Rainbow Dash. I'm so sorry.” she said quietly to herself as she ran, still crying and shaking a little. What she had unleashed on her friend was going to weigh on her mind for a while.

Author's Note:

Look at me, earning that teen rating. I felt things got just a little too rapey here but Rarity got out of it alive. Now to see if Scootaloo and Rainbow Dash can. Don't worry about Star Shine. He's me, and I'm not about to kill myself off. Well, not anymore.

Also to kind of stem any kind of speculation before it begins, NOPE Rarity is NOT Scootaloo's legit mother and they're not related in any way at all, it's just coincidental. Coincidences exist. In stories at least. There's no such thing as a coincidence in real life.