• Published 18th Nov 2013
  • 4,068 Views, 200 Comments

True Flight - Dasponi



Scootaloo got the two things she wanted most of all; she got a family and she could fly. There's just two problems; She already had a family, and there are lingering doubts about her ability to fly.

  • ...
7
 200
 4,068

Chapter Five; Bruised and Broken

Star Shine continued to speed towards the ground. Rainbow Dash and Scootaloo were too far away for him to see so he had no idea what had happened. If Scootaloo had taken the brace off then that meant right now she couldn't fly. He might have thought that she was just flying with Rainbow Dash but the way that she had screamed for him, the hole in the clouds, that laughing pony...it all pointed to “not good”. Just who was that laughing Pegasus? Star Shine shook his head. It didn't matter right now. What mattered is that something had seemed to happen to Rainbow Dash and Scootaloo. If something happened to Rainbow Dash and Scootaloo wasn't wearing the brace then things could be very very bad indeed. Tears streamed down his face and were lost to the wind as his mind was filled with the memory of his parents.

Not that...please not that. Anything but that. Not again. Star Shine thought to himself. Repeated like a mantra as he continued down.

He saw Rainbow Dash and Scootaloo well before he reached the ground. They were sprawled together on the ground. He couldn't make out much from the distance he was at but it didn't look good for Rainbow Dash. Her legs were at an awkward angle, a sign that they were broken. When Star Shine got closer he saw there was even blood on both Pegasi. He couldn't make out any more injuries than that. He was still struck by how peaceful they looked and he could tell they were unconscious. Or worse. He sped to the ground as fast as his wings would carry him and made sure to slow down in time to land safely. It wouldn't do any of them any good if he injured himself landing now. He ran over to Rainbow Dash and looked her up and down. Scootaloo was tucked into her forelegs so it looked like Rainbow Dash had taken most of the damage. He put his ear against Rainbow Dash's chest and breathed a heavy sigh of relief when he felt her breathing and heard her heartbeat. He looked over at Scootaloo and started crying even harder when he saw what had happened to her. She was breathing like Rainbow Dash but her wings were at odd angles. He'd seen more than enough broken wings to recognise them when he saw them. Scootaloo must have landed awkwardly on her back. Star Shine heard somepony land behind him and heard a familiar laugh.

“Oh I hope they're dead. Don't see why they won't be. Chicken can't fly and the other one looked dead. Bled when I hit her. Got blood on my face for that matter. I'll teach her a lesson.” Grey Feather muttered to himself as he approached Rainbow Dash and Scootaloo to check the damage for himself. He barely paid any attention to Star Shine and barely even noticed he was there.

“You? You did this?” Star Shine asked, almost growling. He lowered himself to the ground and grit his teeth, preparing to charge at any second. Grey Feather stopped in his tracks and finally paid attention to Star Shine. He looked at him dumbfounded.

“S'what if I did? Little Chicken deserved it. Can't fly you know? Putting em down's the kindest thing to do.” Grey Feather replied. Star Shine was about to charge Grey Feather when he heard a light whimper from behind him. He turned around and saw Rainbow Dash slowly open her eyes. She let out a cry of pain when she tried to move one of her legs. Star Shine was quickly down beside her.

“Rainbow! Oh thank Celestia!” he cried, nuzzling up to her. “Don't move your legs, I think at least one might be broken. Careful moving anyway, Scootaloo's hurt. She'll be okay though, promise.” Star Shine said hurriedly, hiding the extent of Scootaloo's injuries. He could hardly tell Rainbow Dash that Scootaloo had broken her wings.

“Wha? Wha's going on?” Rainbow Dash asked quietly. She still hadn't completely come too yet. She understood what the pain in her leg meant though. She looked around and saw Star Shine looking at her. He looked so worried, and like he'd been crying. That was just like Star Shine, she thought to herself. Always so worried about something or another. Usually her or Scootaloo. He had mentioned Scootaloo, said she was injured. Rainbow Dash couldn't help looking. She looked down and saw Scootaloo curled up against her. There was clearly something wrong with her little wings. “Oh no. Not that. Please. Star Shine please tell me she'll be okay. Please.” she pleaded as she recognised the injury. Only one thing could cause a wing to end up like that. “I...I came too when we were falling...I saw what she did...Star Shine she flew! She saved my life! Please! Anything but that! Please tell me her wings aren't broken after that!” Rainbow Dash begged. Star Shine didn't know how to answer her. He was too shocked and trying to process everything Rainbow Dash had said. She had seen Scootaloo fly.

“She...she flew?” Star Shine asked quietly. Rainbow Dash nodded furiously.

“LIES! That stupid chicken could never fly!” Grey Feather called out. He'd had enough of this display. “Can't believe you lived. Musta been an accident. Don' worry though. I'll fix that.” Grey Feather threatened as he approached Rainbow Dash again. Star Shine stood in front of her protectively.

“Who...who is that?” Rainbow Dash asked, looking around Star Shine.

“That drunk colt from the train. Didn't recognise him at first. That's all I know about him though.” Star Shine replied.

“Me? I'm only the Chicken's dad ain't I? Way I see it, I've got a right to put her outta her misery. Who's heard of a Pegasus can't fly? I'll fix that.” Grey Feather explained as he approached. “Now get out my way.” he threatened when he ended up right in front of Star Shine.

“Right? Misery? If she's miserable it's only because of what you did to her!” Star Shine shouted.

“Guess we're doin' this the hard way.” Grey Feather said, disregarding what Star Shine had said.

“I won't let you touch them.” Star Shine replied. He dug his hooves into the ground to steady himself in case Grey Feather tried something. He didn't have to wait long. Grey Feather gave a great gust of his wings and used the force to propel himself into Star Shine. Star Shine was pushed back a little bit but stayed on his hooves. He reared up and pushed Grey Feather away, unfurling and spreading his wings as he did so. Rainbow Dash was a little impressed by the sight. She'd never actually seen Star Shine genuinely angry and violent. He much preferred to use his words or preach inaction. Most ponies would probably see him as weak. Rainbow Dash was beginning to see that wasn't the case; he just cared too much. She watched as Star Shine charged at Grey Feather and tackled him to the ground. The tussle ended with Star Shine's front legs on Grey Feather's wings. “You think flying is a right? That if a Pegasus can't fly they don't deserve to live? Let's see how you like it.” Star Shine threatened. He lifted up a foreleg and prepared to bring it crashing down on one of Grey Feather's wings to crush it. This left him unbalanced and Grey Feather took advantage of the opportunity. He hefted his back legs up and used them to buck Star Shine away. Star Shine coughed as he laid flat on his back. Grey Feather ignored him and turned his attention back to Rainbow Dash and Scootaloo.

“Now, where was I?” Grey Feather asked menacingly, flashing a wicked smile. “Oh yea...s'right, I was gonna put down a chicken.” he added. Rainbow Dash did her best to protect Scootaloo with her wing but without her legs there wasn't much she could do. Grey Feather was knocked to the ground by Star Shine as he flew into him from the side. The pair rolled around on the floor and tried to hit eachother with anything they had. It ended with Star Shine on the ground and Grey Feather in a position of power on top of him, pinning him down. Star Shine tried the same trick Grey Feather had used to buck him off but it didn't work. Grey Feather was too low to the ground, anticipating the attack. “You want me to see what it's like not bein' able to fly? Tell ya what, why don' you go first?” Grey Feather said, grinning. He raised a foreleg and prepared to bring it down on Star Shine's wing. Grey Feather was sent flying again, this time by Rainbow Dash hitting him in the side at speed. Her legs were broken but she could still fly. Rainbow Dash let out another cry of pain as she tumbled to the ground. She wouldn't be trying to do that again in a hurry. Star Shine got up and hurried over to her.

“Dashie? Dashie are you okay? Please be okay. I don't know what I'd do without you. Don't do something like that again.” Star Shine begged, checking Rainbow Dash over.

“Don't think I could anyway.” Rainbow Dash joked weakly. She coughed and a little more blood came out. From the looks of it she had some internal injuries that she'd probably exacerbated with her little stunt.

“Don't move, you'll just make it worse. I don't want to lose you Rainbow. Not after all this. Not like this. Don't leave me Rainbow.” Star Shine pleaded with tears in his eyes.

“You couldn't lose me if you tried, idiot.” Rainbow Dash teased. “Care about you too damn much to go leaving you now.” she added. She arched her body forward to lean towards Star Shine. He lowered himself down to her more. Partly to spare her the effort and partly to try and force her back down.

“That's good. So stay righ-” Star Shine began before he was interrupted by the feeling of something on his lips. When he calmed down he could tell what it was; Rainbow Dash was kissing him. In the middle of everything that was happening, and with all the pain she was in, she had still reached up to kiss him. Star Shine slipped out of reality for a second and enjoyed the kiss as much as he could. Which wasn't much given the circumstances. Rainbow Dash broke the kiss and smiled at him.

“Good, shut you up. Now go help Scootaloo.” Rainbow Dash said quietly. Star Shine looked across to see that Scootaloo was left without anyone to protect her and Grey Feather was back on his hooves and making his way over to her. Star Shine looked back down at Rainbow Dash and saw that she had passed out again. Star Shine put her down gently and stood up.

“Get the hay away from her!” Star Shine called out as he charged at Grey Feather once more. Star Shine dived on Grey Feather and the pair tumbled to the ground again. Star Shine clamped down on Grey Feather's wing and pulled on it, hard. Grey Feather cried out in pain as he felt his wings being teared from their socket. Star Shine wasn't strong enough to tear them right off but he could still do some damage. Star Shine released the wing when he heard and felt it pop and Grey Feather screamed in agony.

“I still...broke the...chicken's wing...she'll never fly...” Grey Feather taunted, defiant to the last.

“She's not like you. She's strong. I'll fix that broken body of hers and she'll fly again. Just like Rainbow fixed her broken mind and got her to fly.” Star Shine replied through gritted teeth. Bodies could be healed. He'd gotten Pegasi with broken wings to fly and he could do it again. “I'll be there for her, for both of them, every step of the way. Not like you...you'll be lucky if you see the light of day again after what you've done.” Star Shine threatened. He sighed and got off of Grey Feather. He'd done enough. The grizzled drunk wasn't a threat anymore. Star Shine made his way over to Scootaloo to give her any help he could and make sure she was still okay.

“You damn coward!” Grey Feather shouted after Star Shine..

“Every single time.” Star Shine replied quietly. Grey Feather got up and started charging after Star Shine again.

“Why won't you stay down?! Do you hate Scootaloo that much?!” Star Shine shouted at him, steadying himself and preparing to move out of the way. Grey Feather didn't have time to reply. Star Shine watched in shock as he was suddenly encased in a large blue ball of magic.

“THAT. IS. ENOUGH!” Star Shine heard a loud and powerful voice cry out. He looked across where it had come from to see Shining Armor glaring at Grey Feather. He had Twilight on one side and Rarity on the other. Both of them were looking pretty scared as they surveyed the damage. Star Shine breathed a sigh of relief. He had no idea how, but help had arrived and Grey Feather had been subdued.

It was over, and now Star Shine could work on making things right with a little help.

Author's Note:

Things you can learn from this chapter? I'm a grade A cunt. I didn't intend to do that to Scootaloo but it was what happened and as the chapter rolled on I realised that it worked. I also had to throw in stuff at the end to make sure people knew that I'm not THAT much of a cunt, I'm sure she'll fly again. A broken wing is nothing compared to what she's been through. Rainbow Dash injured her wing in the show and recovered just fine.

Well anyway, I'd say enjoy the chapter but I'm not sure how much of it will be enjoyed. But, hey, gratuitous violence and somepony actually having physical vengeance exacted upon them! :pinkiecrazy: Damn it's hard to write a fight between two ponies. I've written fight scenes before but this one took a while to write.

Now to disappear until Wednesday and not read any comments about Scootaloo's broken wings.