• Published 18th Nov 2013
  • 4,070 Views, 200 Comments

True Flight - Dasponi



Scootaloo got the two things she wanted most of all; she got a family and she could fly. There's just two problems; She already had a family, and there are lingering doubts about her ability to fly.

  • ...
7
 200
 4,070

Chapter Three; Falling Stars

Scootaloo, Rainbow Dash, and Star Shine landed safely outside Rainbow Dash's house. That was also the order they arrived in with Scootaloo winning the mock race. Rainbow Dash had given up trying to stop Star Shine when they got close and it became apparent he'd let Scootaloo win anyway. She had then settled on trying to get second place which was pretty easy for her. It was not zipping past Scootaloo by accident that proved to be the hard part. Scootaloo let out a small cry when Star Shine made an attempt to enter the house.

“Hmmm? Am I not allowed in?” Star Shine asked, turning to face Scootaloo. She shied away a little, thinking she had been chastised. She was also just slightly embarrassed by her reasons for wanting Star Shine to stay outside.

“I...just wanted to fly around a little more.” Scootaloo said, rubbing her foreleg sheepishly. Star Shine laughed and opened the door.

“Oh don't worry. I've been sat in a train for a while and want to stretch my legs, so to speak. I'll be out again in just a second. Why don't you fly around a little bit more with Rainbow Dash?” Star Shine replied.

“I wonder what's up with him.” Scootaloo mused.

“Probably just wants a drink or something. Come on, I'll race you to the other side of the house.” Rainbow Dash replied. She crouched low and shook herself a little, preparing to take off. Scootaloo jumped next to her and crouched down too. She had no way of winning but it sure would be fun to have a race with Rainbow Dash. Just flying with her had already proved to be excellent. Before they took off Rainbow Dash suddenly remembered something. She ran to the door of the house and poked her head inside.”Oh, before I forget, a letter came for you a few days ago. I left it on the table for you.” she called to Star Shine. He was stood by the kitchen door with a wet muzzle as he had indeed wanted a drink. She shut the door before he had a chance to respond and went back to the starting position where Scootaloo was.

“Three...” Scootaloo started.

“Two...” Rainbow Dash continued. They both said “One!” together and quickly took off. Back inside the house Star Shine approached the table in the living room. There was indeed a letter on it, addressed to him too. He had sent a letter from Canterlot to a friend he had in Trottingham (he really does have friends all over Equestria) asking them to send a few more of his personal belongings to Rainbow Dash's house. It seemed he was here for the long run and there were a few things left behind. He opened up the letter and a picture fell out of it. He had told Scootaloo a bit of a half truth. The brace really was the last thing that his parents had given to him, but it wasn't all he had left of them. He also had this single solitary photograph. It was actually taken the day they died. The reminder and the questions he would be asked if it was seen was why he had chosen to leave it at home. Rainbow Dash's house was his home now. In the picture was his mother and father. They had their heads together and he was resting on top of their heads, spread out across both of them. All three of them were smiling, totally oblivious to the disaster that would occur later that day. Star Shine closed his eyes and a tear fell from one as he couldn't help but remember that day.

Things had been going really well that day. There was a huge celebration in Cloudsdale to celebrate the anniversary of the town's founding. Cloudsdale had been founded after Ponyville. Star Shine's mother was a Unicorn but she was allowed to join in the festivities. She had married a Pegasus colt, had a Pegasus child, and could do the Cloud Walking spell. She was more than welcome there. If she needed help getting from one place to another then her faithful husband would have given her a lift. Star Shine's mother was a light pink Unicorn with a blonde and red two tone mane and tail. Both were slightly curved at the end. Star Shine's father had a light ginger coat with a brown and white straight mane and tail. A tiny little Star Shine was ever-present between the two of them, brace and all. He was flying a little at this stage but not very well. A lot of research had gone into making his brace and it had taken a while to make. He and his parents had gone from stall to stall and game to game. They had taken in as many sights and sounds as they could. This was how and why it had happened. They had gotten so caught up in the festivities and fun of the occasion that it had completely slipped their minds that the Cloud Walking spell would wear out. It was made for short journeys and lasted a few hours at best. Star Shine and his parents had been in Cloudsdale for quite a lot longer than a few hours. Star Shine still remembered what happened clear as day. His mother's Cloud Walking spell had failed and she had fallen through the cloud layer. It took his father a second to react. That second cost both of them their lives. His father had dove through the cloud as quickly as he could and sped towards his mother. Star Shine, all care abandoned, had jumped down after them both. He wanted to save his mum and dad. What child wouldn't?

His father had flown as quickly as he could but it wasn't quite fast enough. He was too determined to stop and save himself when it became obvious he wouldn't make it. He didn't pull out of his dive in time and hit the ground shortly after his wife. Both of them died immediately on impact. Star Shine himself was right behind them both. He was flying so hard he actually drained the brace of all of it's power. It had a limited amount of power and so it would last much less time when used by a powerful Pegasus. He had been so determined to reach his parents, to save them, that he had begun to break through and much more of his inner natural Pegasus magic was slipping out. It was almost hitting the ground that had really brought it all out. He saw the ground coming towards him and could also see the mangled bloody mess his parents had become. He didn't want that for himself. He flapped as hard as he could to stay away from the ground. When he was about fifty feet away from the ground, and still going way too fast, he felt something in his body change. His eyes flashed white for just a split second and everything in his body called for him to give one last powerful flap of his wings and then spread them wide. His body had never told him how to fly before. He'd never had that flying instinct as it's loss was a part of Vacuus Medeis. He did what his body told him and managed to come to a screeching halt in the air just above the bodies of his parents. He dropped down to the ground next to them and collapsed to the ground. His energy was spent. He cried to himself and blacked out. He was found a few hours later and taken to the Cloudsdale orphanage. When the authorities investigated the deaths and tried to find out if Star Shine had any relatives he could be left with, the photograph that he was now looking down at in the present was found. They had carried on enjoying everything happening while the photo developed. Star Shine was found wearing the brace and had been allowed to keep it. He was later given the photograph. They were more than just the only mementos he had of his parents; they were the only two things in the world he possessed at that time.

Back in the present, Scootaloo and Rainbow Dash were having their race to the other side of the house. Rainbow Dash was going at a much slower pace to let Scootaloo feel good about herself. They arched over the house and as they were descending towards the cloud layer something went wrong. Scootaloo was heading down to the layer when she felt it. Or rather, stopped feeling it. She felt absolutely nothing from her wings. When she flapped them it was like it was before she was flying. She felt the air move around them, but there was no give to it. Her wings were just moving through the air and not propelling her at all. She let out a small scream as she realised she was about to crash land. Rainbow Dash tried to grab her out of the air when it seemed something was wrong but she missed. Thankfully they were heading for the cloud layer and Scootaloo had a very soft landing. Rainbow Dash was next to her immediately.

“Scoots? What's wrong? What happened up there?” Rainbow Dash asked quickly, panicking and checking Scootaloo for injuries. Scootaloo looked back at her wings and frowned.

“I don't know, something just feels wrong. It's like I can't fly or something.” Scootaloo replied. She slipped out of the brace to get a better look at it. She wasn't entirely sure why she did that. Even if the brace was broken then why would that mean that she couldn't fly? A very, very tiny part of her mind had long since accepted that she could never fly. It was a part of herself that she never listened to. Enough of it was there to feel that maybe the brace had been helping more than Star Shine had let on. Rainbow Dash sighed. This was a conversation that she had wanted to hold off for as long as she possibly could. It was one she also hoped she never had to have. She hoped against hope that Scootaloo would be able to fly. It seemed that maybe she couldn't and some explanations were in order.

“Scoots...there's something I kinda need to tell you.” Rainbow Dash said, fidgeting nervously. Scootaloo liked neither the tone of her voice or the way Rainbow Dash was looking at everything but her. Something was wrong here. “You see...” Rainbow Dash began, moving closer to Scootaloo. She was ready to hug her at a moment's notice. She never did get to explain Vacuus Medeis. Or even hug Scootaloo. Suddenly Rainbow Dash let out a cry of pain and was about ten feet above where she was before. Scootaloo looked up in worry and saw that there was something below Rainbow Dash. All the repression in the world couldn't burn that image out of Scootaloo's head. She recognised those three feathers, arranged into the shape of a fan. She hadn't seen him in years but she'd recognise her real dad anywhere. He had flown up through the cloud layer at speed and taken Rainbow Dash with him.

“Damn, I missed.” Grey Feather commented drily. He'd been aiming for Scootaloo. He'd seen them from a distance but had only seen Scootaloo fall. He hadn't seen her fly at all and thought that Rainbow Dash was just trying to teach her to fly by dropping her. She'd even failed to catch her and done something that Grey Feather had dreamed of doing every flight lesson. He really had just wanted to “accidentally” miss her. Grey Feather threw Rainbow Dash up a little and moved to the side to allow her to drop. She was completely unresponsive; unconscious. Scootaloo watched in horror as Rainbow Dash fell down and continued to fall down through the hole that Grey Feather had made. Down towards the ground.

“NO! RAINBOW DASH! STAR SHINE, HELP!” Scootaloo cried out. She shook her head and jumped through the hole after Rainbow Dash instead of waiting for Star Shine. She'd had her happiness taken away once. She'd lost her mother once. She wasn't going to let that happen again. She had a fear of falling but none of that mattered right now. Rainbow Dash needed her.

“That's right Chicken.” Grey Feather called out, laughing. Scootaloo had done his work for him. “Fall! Fall to your death and end your worthless little life!” Star Shine ran out the back door when he heard Scootaloo call but he'd still missed her. He looked around when he couldn't see either Scootaloo or Rainbow Dash. He looked up to see if they were In the sky but could only see Grey Feather, still laughing. Grey Feather was laughing so hard he didn't even notice Star Shine. Star Shine looked around more to see what was going on and his eyes came back down to the cloud layer. That's when he saw the brace was there. Next to a hole in the cloud.

“Oh sweet Celestia no...” Star Shine whispered to himself. His brain went into overdrive and he dived down through the cloud after both Rainbow Dash and Scootaloo.

Author's Note:

An update? A day early? I'm in a good mood for once and getting things done. Don't worry, I already have tomorrow's update ready and written. It's actually a little shorter than a regular update which is another reason I'm posting this one now. The main reason I'm posting it now though is that I did a dick move and ended on a cliffhanger. I really, really hate ending on cliffhangers but there was no other way to end this chapter.

Also...yeah...Star Shine did kinda see the tattered and bloody remains of his parents. I wish he was a bit more messed up. I actually had no idea how I was going to kill them off. It went back to the original original ORIGINAL plans I had for this story. Originally they were going to be killed by violent and racist Pegasi who considered their mixed relationship an insult. In the end I went for something that works. Star Shine started to fly properly when he tried to save his parents but it came to him completely when he tried to save himself. Now it falls to Scootaloo to save Rainbow Dash. Will she do it? Find out tomorrow!

Of course the downside of early updates is that the story is over quicker. It's already lasting longer than I expected, but not much longer.