• Published 18th Nov 2013
  • 4,068 Views, 200 Comments

True Flight - Dasponi



Scootaloo got the two things she wanted most of all; she got a family and she could fly. There's just two problems; She already had a family, and there are lingering doubts about her ability to fly.

  • ...
7
 200
 4,068

Chapter Four; True Flight (I'm Lazy)

Scootaloo sped down towards Rainbow Dash. She flapped her wings as hard as she could in the hope of increasing her speed a little. She still felt little give in them, but she didn't care at this point anymore. Every little helped and she definitely needed help. Scootaloo tried her best to make herself fall faster and faster. She was filled with so much adrenaline the world seemed to slow down around her. Rainbow Dash was still falling. Scootaloo had no idea how but he was back. Her dad was back and now he'd done this. He'd tried to take her happiness away again and Scootaloo wasn't going to let that happen. She was happy now. She had even begun to forget about the old pain. Scootaloo shook her head to clear her thoughts. She could worry about how and why her dad was back later. What mattered most now was that she needed to help Rainbow Dash. She needed to drop faster than Rainbow Dash and end up underneath her somehow. She couldn't grab and support Rainbow Dash's weight but perhaps she could get underneath and push up to slow her down. Or try and glide and slow down her descent that way. Scootaloo narrowed her eyes and focused even more on reaching Rainbow Dash.

By sheer luck or fate she did it. She managed to slip past Rainbow Dash and end up underneath her. Scootaloo shifted her body so that she was supporting Rainbow Dash with her head and had room to spread her wings. She spread her wings and moved them so that she would be gliding. She felt the wind hit her wings and stay there at last but it didn't have any effect on their speed. Rainbow Dash was just too heavy for it to help much. That effort failed so Scootaloo was left with no choice but to try flying and to push herself upwards. She flapped her wings as hard as she could. She tried and tried and tried and strained herself with effort.

Nothing happened. Her wings weren't working for some reason. Scootaloo shifted and held Rainbow Dash up with her forelegs. She looked back at her wings in panic. Why weren't they working? Why wasn't she flying? Rainbow Dash was about to say something to her when she was attacked. When Scootaloo was looking back she saw just how quickly they were approaching the ground and how far away it was. It was looking bad for her and Rainbow Dash. Scootaloo looked back up at Rainbow Dash and started to cry. Despite how badly she was hurt Rainbow Dash looked incredibly peaceful. She looked like she was sleeping; completely unaware of the death that was fast approaching her. Completely unaware of the danger that she and Scootaloo were in.

“I'm sorry Rainbow. I'm so, so sorry.” Scootaloo whispered, hugging Rainbow Dash as tightly as she could. “I really, really tried.” she added. She was still flapping her wings, hoping against hope that something would happen. The mind does strange things when death is fast approaching. Scootaloo's found itself going back to that day over a month ago now. It was the day that she had given up and gone to Ghastly Gorge. She had wanted to die and Rainbow Dash had saved her life. Now Scootaloo couldn't return the favour and Rainbow Dash couldn't help her again. Star Shine was on his way towards them but Scootaloo didn't know that. It was just her and Rainbow Dash. Star Shine was moving as quickly as he could but even he was worried that he wouldn't make it in time. He was freaking out a little himself and remembering what happened to his parents and hoping it wasn't about to happen again. Scootaloo's memories continued to shift. She remembered all the time that she and Rainbow Dash and Star Shine had spent together after that moment. Her life had changed drastically after Rainbow Dash had saved her. She had a house and a home. Scootaloo's body, especially her wings, started to tingle as she realised something. Scootaloo had done more than save her life that day. She had given her a life. She had provided for her and made her happy. Her mind raced as she remembered all the fun times that she had with Rainbow Dash, both before and after the incident. Rainbow Dash really had done more than save her life; She had given her one. Along with Star Shine, she had given her a reason to live.

“NO!” Scootaloo screamed. She had flown before and by Celestia she was going to do it again. She didn't care if she could fly or not. She didn't care about everything that her dad had done. The only thing she cared about at that moment was flying. Not for herself, but to save herself and most of all, to save Rainbow Dash. “NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO!” Scootaloo continued to scream as she flapped her wings as hard as she could. She let out another scream as there was a sudden pain in her head and her eyes didn't just flash white, but they stayed white. A sudden outburst of magic like that was bound to hurt anypony. Star Shine hadn't felt that because his magic had come out at a steady pace until right before the end and there wasn't much left at that point. Scootaloo had no such luck. She convulsed as her body was wracked with pain and she fought through it. The pain passed and Scootaloo could tell something had changed. She felt different; her wings felt very very different. It was kind of like she was wearing the brace, but a much more powerful feeling. She looked down at her wings in awe and that's when she saw how dangerously close the ground was. She panicked a little and flapped her wings again. It felt much different this time. Her wings weren't just moving through the air; this time they were propelling her upwards like she wanted them to before. She could feel herself slowing down. She allowed herself to smile as she felt that she had a chance now. Her mind was still racing and she caught herself thinking of different ways she could move her wings to help slow her down even more. She had been so determined that she was unleashing as much as she possibly could. She wouldn't be able to fly like this again for quite a while and she'd be tired when she landed but that didn't matter. Saving Rainbow Dash mattered the most right now. Scootaloo and Rainbow Dash were still approaching the ground too quickly but it wasn't at a deadly pace now.

“I think we'll make it now.” Scootaloo whispered as her head fell back. She was absolutely exhausted after pushing her body to it's limits and the adrenaline was wearing off now she was aware that she was safe. Her eyes closed and she slipped into unconsciousness as another tear fell from her eyes. This one was born out of the happiness of saving Rainbow Dash. The pair of them hit the ground pretty hard and tumbled around due to hitting at an angle, but they survived the fall. They landed and settled curled up together. Scootaloo had done it; she had saved Rainbow Dash's life and gained the ability to fly.

That would probably help her deal with the pain when she woke up and felt it.

Author's Note:

This was always the original plan from day one. From the actual day one day one of when I originally came up with Working Towards The Future. I wanted things to come full circle. Rainbow Dash saved Scootaloo's life when she had nothing to live for and Scootaloo returned the favour when she did have something to live for. This is kinda short I know but I couldn't think of any way to elongate this and felt that to not give it it's own single solitary chapter would ruin the moment.