• Published 13th Nov 2013
  • 854 Views, 17 Comments

My Little Noir - Colt in the Moon



A murder mystery with your favorite ponies like you've never seen them before.

  • ...
4
 17
 854

A Killer Revealed

I slammed my hooves against my desk. I thought I could find an extra clue in the files, but I found nothing. This was becoming more and more frustrating by the minute. I slumped back into my chair in defeat. There had to be something that I was missing, some clue I overlooked, like a picture, or something somepony said, or….

I straightened myself; I had just made a breakthrough. Yes, I finally did it; I knew who the culprit was. It all had to do with one tiny flaw that I overlooked at first. But now that I saw it, it was this pony’s ultimate downfall. I raced out of my office at record speed.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _

Dawn was silently putting books away when I barged into her business.

“Miss Dawn, you’re under arrest for the murder of Minty Fresh”.

Dawn didn’t even turn around, “I already told you, Detective, I’m not involved with this murder in anyway.”

“You almost had me believe that,” I replied, “But all the clues point to you. Your hair needs bobby pins to get in that style, the same device that was used to break into the apartment. Not to mention that Minty had bested you in the unicorn talent competition. Jealousy can drive a pony to do crazy things. And I don’t think I have to mention the strand of hair I found.”

“We’ve been over this,” she deadpanned, “Those points do not mean I committed the murder”.

This mare just didn’t know when to quit, I walked over to face Dawn to see that she had a small lantern next to her to provide light. It also gave her an eerie glow.

“Perhaps, but there was one thing that really told me you’re guilty.”

“Oh really? And what would that be?”

“You previously stated that you’ve never been to Minty’s apartment, how did you know that Minty lived in an apartment?”

Dawn froze, “I really wished you hadn’t noticed that."

Dawn swung the lantern right at my face. I was able to duck the attack, making the lantern shatter against the bookshelf in a small burst of flame. Dawn didn’t waste any time, she tackled me to the ground. It seemed like I was setting a record for the most amount of fights I got into in one night.

For a librarian, this mare was actually pretty tough. Then again, I imagine she would have to be in order to commit murder. I was able to block some blows, but she still had me pinned. I finally had an opening and flew up to the ceiling. Then I sped down and gave a clean uppercut to Dawn’s face, sending her to flailing into a nearby bookshelf.

Recovering quickly, she used her magic to levitate dozens of books. Like bullets, she sent them at me. I thanked my lucky stars that I had the speed to dodge the onslaught of literature. This only seemed to anger her as she hurled yet more books at me.

Out of the corner of my eye I noticed that a small fire had started on one of the bookshelves. The lantern smashing against the shelf must have made the dry, old books catch fire. Given enough time, say seven minutes, one corner of the library would be engulfed in flames.

“Dawn,” I yelled, “We gotta get outta here! This whole library is gonna burn!”

“Oh ho ho,” she wickedly laughed, “You think I didn’t notice? I’m not leaving, and nether are you. We’ll both die in our own HELL”!

Before I could tell her I had weekend plans, she beaned me in the chest with a king-size dictionary. I plummeted towards the ground in a corkscrew. As I struggled to get up, Dawn clubbed me over the head with her second place trophy. I guess there was some used to it after all.

“Why?” I spat, “Why are you letting petty revenge blind you?”

“Because no pony is better than me at magic! I had to do it, for my title! Now with her out of the picture I will always remain the most powerful unicorn in Equestria!”

“Does that title apply from beyond the grave”?

I gave a sweep kick to Dawn’s hooves. She went toppling to the floor. A floor that was quickly being covered in flames, I might add. But fire or not, Dawn was determined to make sure I didn’t make it out alive. Luckily I had more experience busting heads than a librarian. But then I thought, well, Dawn was still a librarian when she murdered Minty; who knows what else she could have done?

I didn’t want to find out; instead I slammed my body on top of Dawn’s. That’s when I realized that the flames had reached the ceiling, if the fire continued, the whole roof could collapse. I had to get myself and Dawn out of the once quaint library before the fiery inferno consumed us.

I looked down at the purple mare, she looked unconscious, so I flung her hoof around my shoulder and started to slowly drag her body out of the library. But the mare double-crossed my trust as she snapped my wings and threw me over her shoulder. I came to the conclusion that it was either help both of us pointlessly escape, or get out myself in one piece. I decided to go with the ladder.

With lightning fast speed I fran out the library door. Just as I got outside, burning wood fell down and blocked the exit. With spending so much time in a burning building, I began to feel woozy. The last thing I heard before passing out was Dawn crying out in pain.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _

Rainbow Dash’s hooves ceased their blur of motion as she set them down to rest. Proudly, she looked over the old typewriter to inspect her masterpiece. The cyan pegasus was in the Ponyville library, much different from the one Tracer Bullet was in.

“I feel bad about lying to Twilight as to why I wanted to use her typewriter,” Dash thought to herself, “But it’s a lot easier than telling her the truth”.

Just at that moment, the door in front of her cracked open. Paralyzed with fear, Dash could only sit there as Twilight Sparkle, owner of the library, entered.

“I just wanted to see how your thesis was coming-“ Twilight stopped short, “Dash, what’s wrong?”

“Uh, nothing, Twilight, just the excitement of science is all”.

Twilight walked slowly towards her friend. She stopped behind her as her purple eyes moved back and forth, scanning the document. Dash continued to remain motionless, only imagining the teasing she would get when Twilight realized what she was really writing. Eventually, the unicorn mare began her journey back to the door. But before it was closed, she offered these parting words,

“I would never style my mane in a bun”.

Comments ( 1 )

Oh dude, The rest of the story was good, and the ending was decent, but, it leaves something to be desired. I was hoping that when Tracer had Dawn on the ground, pleading for mercy, Tracer would be like
"Why? Why would you do this out of jealousy, for what, a petty competition?"
Then dawn
"Y-You have to get out of here!"
Tracer:Why? So you can make your quick escape? for what you did, i don't think so!"
Dawn: No, you don't get it, it wasn't me, it was-"
Then suddenly Tracer is knocked out cold, when she wakes up shes tied to a chair and sees no other then
"Gumdrop!"
Gumdrop: "What took you so long?"
Tracer: But, how, i don't understand...why, she was your-"
Gumdrop: "I know, she was my wife, But i had a greater love."
Tracer: "Ponies like you sicken me, killing innocent ponies, just because they can't be loyal enough to stick to their wedding vows. So, whose the unlucky pony?"
Gumdrop: Not a who, but a what. See, Like minty, i was swept up in the life of crime, but when she had a change of heart, she forced me to give it up, and i agreed. For a while. I love the thrill of the kill, more then i'll ever love anypony, i constantly asked her if we could go back, and every time she persuaded me to not. But one day, i couldn't resist the urge."
Tracer: I can't believe i didn't see it, it was right in front of my muzzle. How did Dawn get into this?"
Gumball: "I knew that you would on the case, and every suspect you had knew it was me, except Dawn, but i knew she would put the evidence together and conclude it was me, so i bribed some of them and threatened some of their lives. Dawn was a scared foal, so she agreed to play along."
Tracer: Well, you won't get away with it."
And she takes out a knife from her pocket, cuts herself free, and beats Gumballs flank. Gumball get taken to jail, and Tracer saves the day once again.

Login or register to comment