• Published 2nd Nov 2013
  • 895 Views, 8 Comments

Sombra Dislikes Crystals - The Apologetic Pony



A story of Sombra's upbringing and how he came to be King of the Crystal Empire.

  • ...
1
 8
 895

PreviousChapters Next
Sometimes Pearls Don't Come From Clams

Luna yawned as she prepared to lower the moon.

‘Feeling up to raising the sun too?’ Celestia asked.

‘Huh? If you want me to, though you look perfectly fine to me.’

‘No need to worry about me. You though, looked as if you’d seen my corpse yesterday when I said hi! Does that mean something?’

‘It means what you think it means, Tia. Your timing was unfortunate.’

‘Oh, well congratulations then, its been little while since you’ve had a proper courter.’

‘He’s still just a colt with weird magic.’

‘Is he lustful?’

‘He thinks he’s good at hiding it. Even asked me who I’d been with before! Maybe he’ll go treating you like the father and ask for permission.’

‘Not that you’d let him without laughing at him for five minutes

‘Just maybe, Tia. I’m surprised you haven’t bothered me with some kind of objection about the magic he’s learning again. You weren’t so happy about that at one point.’

‘I don’t believe you’re going to let him run wild with it if you care for him so.’

‘I’m glad it only took us imortal years to get to this point.’

‘He must like it when you’re cheeky, if you’re still being like this with me.’ Celestia said, and giggled.

‘Your face.’

Sombra returned to an empty household. Robyn out to do whatever she does. He’d been scolding himself for his slip of the tongue with Tinker. Not that I regret it, I just shouldn’t have done it. Don’t even care for him that much anymore. Just Luna, oh there goes my heart again. Is that how Tinker... no, no way.

Just before he fell asleep that night, he realised that as he’d gotten closer with Luna, he’d become further away from Tinker and even Alex. Strange, and a bit wicked.

‘Yo, Som-bra.’

‘New one from you.’

She kissed him.

‘That’s also new, er. I think you’re going to jump on me when you do stuff like that, keep forgetting somepony as big as you can move so fast.’

‘Manticores are big and fast.’

‘Yeah, but they have teeth, a stinger and want to eat you.’

‘Well, maybe it will be to jump on you some day.’

‘Don’t wink at me like that, gives me a weird feeling.’

She winked some more, but Sombra was wise enough not to respond.

‘Actually there was one thing.’ she said.

‘Make some crystals for me, please. Big ones if you can.’

‘Sure.’

Like before, Luna couldn’t break the large crystals with either her hooves or her magic, though she didn’t try mimicking Sombra’s aura herself.

‘Break one of them.’

He did so easily, without having it explode into shrapnel this time.

‘So...’

Without warning she kissed him again, hugging him closer to her chest, and draped her wing around him. She let go just as fast.

‘Tell me if you’re going to do that! Holy fuck!’

‘Break one of them, quickly.’

Sombra mumbled something about a crazy alicorn before he tried to break one of the crystals he’d conjured. But even after a whole minute, there wasn’t a dent in it.

‘Are you messing with me again, Luna?’

‘I think you’re messing with yourself. You’re too happy.’

‘Huh?’

‘Remember, a while ago I explained how your aura is unnaturally heavy, and angry?’

‘Don’t remember the angry part.’

‘I might not have phrased it like that but essentially it seems that your magic, or more precisely, your aura, gets weaker if you’re happier. You were able to break your previous crystal without much effort at all, it looked like. And I can’t even copy your aura to use for anything right now.’

‘That’s really odd.’

‘Ah well, there are some advanced, though useless individual spells that rely on the emotional state of the caster. The fancy pants scholars call them harmonic spells, but you won’t be hearing me call them that again. Nopony knows about them except for the elite and the fanatics they’re so useless.’

‘So does mean if I feel bad, it’d be stronger?’

‘Stronger than how you feel now at least. The conventional emotional spells don’t get stronger beyond an easy to achieve baseline, you just to not be feeling too much of the opposite. But those are just spells, not entire auras, and they’re not as fickle to not work because of a kiss.’

‘That was quite the kiss.’

‘Aw, thank you!’

I didn’t mean that as a compliment.

‘Hey can you break it yet?’

‘Let’s see.’

He could, but almost sent tiny shards of doom flying everywhere.

‘Looks like you’ve calmed down.’ Luna said, chuckling.

‘You’re going to have fun with this aren’t you?’

‘Oh but we already have, Som-bra.’

‘More fun, I mean. Got any other theories about my magic?’

‘Nope! Not yet.’

For the first time since he’d met Luna that evening, Sombra was given a break from her manic enthusiasm (of one sort or another).

‘It might be a bit early to talk about this, but have you, um, told your sister about me, and you?’

‘Yeah, told her yesterday, or more like, she figured it out from our last lesson.’

Sombra blinked.

‘I should have asked you first, really. But I figured she wouldn’t be telling anypony else anytime soon.’

‘I guess that’s fine. Is she okay with it?’

‘She sure was.’

‘Oh, good.’

‘Mmm-hmm, she’s even gotten over me teaching you this dangerous unknown stuff.’

Sombra noticed how dark it was.

‘It’s around the time I could go.’

‘You could.’

Luna thought there was something to say.

‘Well you’re not going.’

‘Of course not its my castle, silly! You’re not going either just yet, it looks like.’

‘Yeah, thats, something... I should say this, that I love you, Luna.’

PreviousChapters Next