• Published 2nd Nov 2013
  • 888 Views, 8 Comments

Sombra Dislikes Crystals - The Apologetic Pony



A story of Sombra's upbringing and how he came to be King of the Crystal Empire.

  • ...
1
 8
 888

PreviousChapters Next
Don't try To Convince Amazonite You're A Warrior For Love

No pony said anything. Robyn just stood there, like she didn’t want to come in. The silence ate at them, until eventually she sat down and said ‘No rest for the wicked, Sombra.’

Trees trembled in the wind. The atmosphere had instantly calmed down, somehow.

‘Would you like to speak to him alone?’

‘No, no secrets anymore.’

‘Carry on then, Sombra sounded angry, what little I heard.’

‘We’re all angry. We’re all angry at me.’

‘Do you know why he ran off, Mum?’

‘Not entirely.’

There was a moment of silence.

‘So say something already then.’ Sombra said.

‘Was it the unicorn, or the pegasus?’

‘Pegasus, Jane... I’m sorry Robyn.’

Robyn looked at Sombra and said ‘I think it might affect you, more than it does us.’

‘Do you not mind then, mother?’

‘I do, I loathe him for the way he did it, but I knew it was going to happen, sometime. I think you were struggling to realise it at the time, so I should have talked to you, I even knew I should have been talking to you.’

‘So why didn’t you?’

‘Because I was a coward. I think I excused myself by saying you were strong enough without my help, and you were, but you’d be even stronger with it.’

Alex chimed in again.

‘As you can see, Sombra, we both knew we’d break up for a while, I just did it in the worst way I could.’

‘It would have been okay if you talked to me you know. I wouldn’t have been angry.’ Robyn said.

‘I wouldn’t have believed that. You didn’t like it when I forgot to do the chores.’

‘I hope love’s no chore for you, honey! How are things with her?’

‘Not good.’

Robyn chortled.

‘You never were good with the bad mares.’

Sombra wanted to be angry, thought he was sad, but was actually ambivalent. This wasn’t one of those times he enjoyed not knowing what to feel either, it was a kind of unhappy ambivalence.

‘So why’d you come? You don’t want to come back do you?’

‘I... don’t expect to’

A few tears found their way out of Alex’s eyes. He said ‘Excuse me.’ as he wiped them away.

‘Come on, that’s a little too much, you know we aren’t lovey dovey. Sombra would hate it too, I think. Would you, Sombra?’

‘I don’t want to see him again. I don’t know why you’d want to either.’

‘Are you sure?’ Robyn asked.

‘Yes.’

Though he was confident, the word burned his throat. Maybe I’m not so confident.

‘He’s justified in saying that.’

‘I suppose he is.’

Alex took a deep breath.

‘I guess this is goodbye... um. May the two of you fulfill your ambitions.’

Sombra wanted Alex to say something more, but he didn’t know what. I probably wouldn’t be satisfied whatever he said. Is that tragic?

And he was gone.

‘How surreal.’

‘No kidding.’

Sombra spent much of the day wondering why he wasn’t happier that he’d never see Alex again. Over dinner Robyn mentioned that Tinker had asked to see Sombra yesterday.

‘Did he say anything?’

‘Only that he’d come another time. I told him you were here every other day.’

‘I’ll go see him sometime.’

After that, and as he lay he bed, Sombra’s sleep was mediocre.

Oi, Luna, what are you doing here?

Me, Luna? I’m just a Luna of your dreams.

But you’re Luna.

I’m your Luna. Do whatever you want to me.

There’s only one Luna...

Am I Luna pretending to be your Luna? That’d be great! Kiss me darling, I’m sure she’d like that. Hahahaha, you wound me so, oh Som-bra my love, is it you who’s talking?

Something nudged him.

‘Sir this is the last stop.’

‘Oh, shit sorry.’

Luckily, the last stop was Canterlot. Trains sure do move fast when you’re asleep. Trains weren’t the only thing that felt fast, the walk to the palace didn’t take as long either.

The typically barren entrance hall was bustling with ponies and griffins alike, so Sombra had to push his way through to get to the antechamber, where Luna usually met him.

‘Heya.’

‘Good afternoon, Som-bra.’

‘You can’t hate me too much if you’re still calling me that.’

‘No, our ordeal was mostly my fault, I think.’

‘Sorry anyway.’

‘Me too.’

They went to the garden, and shockingly, the greenery was a little unkempt.

‘What’s with the crowd?’

‘In the entrance hall? My sister’s proposing to lengthen daylight by an hour. I’m surprised you haven’t heard.’

‘Oh no I have, I just didn’t know it was that. Was for extending work hours wasn’t it?’

‘Yeah, exactly. I’m a bit envious though, I’m going to get even more lethargic for longer when I wake up now. She gets to stay up an extra hour too.’

‘Weird.’

‘It must seem so to you, I imagine. Really stellar issue.’

‘That’s really bad...’

‘My puns are always supreme, Som-bra.’

‘Totally.’

‘Well then, before we start the lesson there’s one more thing.’

‘Us?’

‘You make it sound like a marriage when you say it like that.’

‘Haha, would you like it to be?’

‘Good to see you’re easy going about it, you certainly weren't in the dream.’

‘We’re different ponies in dreams, aren’t we?’

‘Some of us.’

‘But you didn’t lie right? You enjoyed it?’

‘Yeah, I did. I’ve even been in far more scandalous relationships than this.’

‘What like, Lolitas?’

Luna let out a meek laugh.

‘I guess you gotta do something for all those long years.’

‘I appreciate the excuses, maybe I’ll use them sometime, haha. But I am anxious I’m taking advantage of you.’

‘Don’t be stupid, you’re not.’

‘Convince me.’

PreviousChapters Next