• Published 2nd Nov 2013
  • 893 Views, 8 Comments

Sombra Dislikes Crystals - The Apologetic Pony



A story of Sombra's upbringing and how he came to be King of the Crystal Empire.

  • ...
1
 8
 893

PreviousChapters Next
The Tiger's Eye Sees Not The Horrors Of Monogamy And Magic

Carriage, pegasi, goodbyes and Sombra was home again. He’d only talked with Luna for the rest of the night. Once again, it was too late for his parents to be awake, so for the moment Sombra could only hope his father had done the right thing.

‘Alex? He left early this morning, said he was going to get you something.’ Robyn said.

Alex’s behaviour reminded him of his “let me take a day of school, the teacher will forget about homework” attitude he’d had through school.

‘And you let him go?’

‘Why wouldn’t I, Sombra?’

Robyn knew she had him caught. It was obvious to her, that Sombra and Alex had been doing deals behind her back, and apparently it wasn’t a light matter either, going by just how submissive Alex had become.

Figuratively, Sombra was squirming. Of course his dad had run away, am I going to be a snitch here? She deserves to know, doesn’t she? ‘Course she does... So go on then, tell her. She was saying something, but he wasn’t listening anymore. He’s not gonna tell her, so you do it. You’ve got to. You’ll regret it if you don’t! Sombra The Coward you’ll be!

‘You won’t want to hear this...’

Sombra finally trampled his guilt.

‘He’s been cheating on you.’

‘With who?’

‘I Dunno really. He didn’t say much about her... Pegasus.’

It was then, that Robyn did something very strange: she burst out laughing. Sombra was dumbfounded, too confused to ask what was going on, or even if he should.

‘That’s really funny, Sombra!’

‘Do I look like I’m joking to you?!’

‘There there, I’m aware, don’t snap at your mother now. He’s done a worse job than me...’

‘What are you on about?’

She glanced away like some shy school filly.

‘You’re kidding me!’

‘I don’t think you’re wrong.’

Sombra was astounded by how silly his idea was.

‘So you’ve... been, y’know... with someone else?’

‘Probably longer than your father has.’

‘...Well fuck me!’

‘You shouldn’t use such language.’

‘Extraordinary circumstances.’ Though by no standard, was swearing extraordinary. He wanted to say, ‘Fuck you.’

Alex didn’t come back from wherever he’d gone to that morning, at least, not today. Your parents sure like keeping secrets from you, don’t they, Sombra? Each other too. Wonder if there are any more.

With Alex still absent, Sombra reluctantly boarded the train to Canterlot the following day. Your princess calls, I suppose. That sounds a bit weird. Not as weird as my “family” though. What had been happening at Sombra’s home had already disconnected him from his lessons, and now he was disconnected from his parents too. It was one betrayal after another, and why were they still together, if this had been going on as long as his mother implied? Why did I ever think they loved each other? He once had a shadow of a hope that the family was recoverable but the sun had since fallen.

‘Welcome, Som-bra!’

Still with the name?

‘Yeah, hi, Luna.’

I sound grumpy.

‘You sound grumpy.’

‘Yeah well, shit happens.’

Oh it hurts if you downplay it!

‘I hope you’re feeling brave.’

‘Oh yeah?’

You really are grumpy aren’t you?

‘You’ll be doing what I did in our last lesson.’

‘Err, okay.’

‘You’ll be fine, I’ll poke you if you’re in trouble!’

I guess that’s her wit for you. The weirdest slapstick known to Equestrians.

‘Some tongue movements first.’

‘We going to the garden again?’

‘That seems to be our usual spot.’

‘Take us somewhere else, I’m bored of going there.’

Luna was clearly taken aback.

‘W-where would you like to go?’

‘I don’t know, somewhere I haven’t been before, library?’

‘Sure.’

Turns out the library was at almost the opposite end of the palace, but they got there eventually. As one would expect, there were a lot of books. Far more than Sombra could count, and full shelves more than twice his height. It was like the chamber had been made too perfectly for ponies to inhabit it, or life in general. Aside from Luna and Sombra, the library was empty.

‘Impressed?’

‘You could say that.’

‘I’m afraid its grandeur has worn away for me. Disgusting in that I can’t appreciate my luxuries anymore, isn’t it?’

‘I can’t empathise.’

‘A sensible position... Was there a reason you wanted to come here?’

‘No, just, bored of the garden.’

‘You could make a forest with the paper that’s in here.’

‘So what, do you like reading Luna, or do all these books just sit here?’

Couldn’t have put it any less confrontationally could you?

‘They’re plenty of ponies in here during the more diurnal hours. I’m only of it’s many users.’

The two talked for some time before Luna showed Sombra what she’d do if Sombra lost control of his magic, which is to say, kick him in the tummy, shove him to the ground, and put pressure on his horn. I’ll have the migraine of my life if it comes to that.

‘But worry not, Som-bra! It’s going to be just like when I did it two days ago.’

‘That looked harrowing in itself.’

‘Be brave, my son!’

They both chuckled at that.

She took him back to the garden, and told him to start when he was ready. With trepidation, Sombra started to channel his magic through his horn, letting it uselessly drain out of him. It was an odd sensation, as flowing lots of magic through the horn was normally a preparatory stage to a powerful spell, where a burst of energy was required. The flow became harder to maintain and just like Luna, Sombra was sweating buckets.

And then he gasped and spluttered, tumbling onto his back. Luna was swift to assist.

‘It’s okay, it’s okay, I’m here.’ Luna soothed, using her arm to support his neck like he were a foal. She found herself enjoying it while it lasted, but Sombra soon pushed her away.

‘Well, whatever helps you. Talk to me when you’re ready.’

Sombra repeatedly bit his lip, as if he wasn’t convinced it was there, but after a long minute of heavy breathing, he broke his wordlessness.

‘Fucking... schizophrenic in there.’

Luna said nothing.

‘Can I go home, Luna?’

‘Sure, tell me about it next time.’

‘Give me a little bit, still dizzy.’

In the exhausted state he was in, he’d forgotten what was going on at home, and didn’t remember until he was fumbling with the keys again.

PreviousChapters Next