• Published 2nd Nov 2013
  • 891 Views, 8 Comments

Sombra Dislikes Crystals - The Apologetic Pony



A story of Sombra's upbringing and how he came to be King of the Crystal Empire.

  • ...
1
 8
 891

PreviousChapters Next
Good Colts Eat Their Turquoise

‘Can you copy auras, Luna?’

‘It’s an alicorn thing.’

She absolutely loves saying that.

‘You know aha, she was so forward, mom, like seriously she was waving her wing about from the first lesson.’

‘No, it wasn’t like that, Som-bra. We just got closer, and then a bit closer still.’

‘Yeah, totally. All the way.’

‘Could I ask you something, Luna?’ asked Robyn, as if there was something important on her mind.

‘Sure.’

‘What kind of relationships did you have before? As I suppose you know, theres no mention in public of Sombra and any others before him.’

Luna giggled in a way Sombra didn’t like, so he nudged her a bit harder than he intended.

‘Ow! I was about to explain to her if you don’t mind, Som-bra.’

‘Yeah you do that.’ he growled.

‘Not many in the last century, Robyn. But its not like either they or me would want it to be public anyway, that’d just cause an unnecessary fuss. I should have asked this before, but would you like a drink, Robyn? Tea perhaps?’

‘If you would be so kind.’

It didn’t take long for it to arrive.

‘Unfortunately, Som-bra, I did have plans as to what we’d do today but it’d involve that. You need to be, y’know.’

‘Oh.’

‘Need to be what?’ Robyn asked between sips.

‘Nothing, Robyn, nothing at all.’ Sombra said.

An unusually a lengthy silence reset the flow of conversation. Sombra took a bit to figure out why. What normally happens now? Robyn isn’t here, so I don’t feel embarrassed so... of course, we kiss. And we giggle a bit. She giggles more though.

‘Do you see any use for Sombra’s magic in the future, Luna?’

‘That’s a good question, Robyn. One that he should ask me more about.’

‘You’re just so interested in that.’ Sombra said, rolling his eyes.

‘Worry not what I’m intrigued by, Som-bra and focus on yourself.’

Hah, like I can do that! What’s she interested in beside me and her stars anyway?

‘To answer your question, I think he might have some use as an envoy, of sorts. I’m aware this will sound strange in many ways, but he’d be ideal for representing those unsatisfied with my and my sister’s rule.’

‘I don’t think anypony like that exists, Luna, let alone us being the way we are.’ Sombra chuckled, perplexed at her suggestion.

‘There are some, Som-bra. You know recently the Crystal Kingdom has been expressing some discontent, they’ll want independence eventually, I suspect.’

Sombra had a hundred more questions, but he didn’t want to hound her too heavily in front of Robyn. Though I’m sure she’s just as confused as I am.

‘Was Sombra rebellious in school? He seems like he would be.’

‘Not terribly, he didn’t like the piano lessons I sent him to, I don’t think he particularly liked school either, but he hasn’t been in much trouble. Except when Luna came round right to the school, Sombra? You made quite a fuss then I hear. Some questions about something? What were you talking about again?’

‘Stuff.’ Sombra said, not only embarrassed at his passionate outburst that seemed so long ago, but also because he’d almost forgotten what he’d been asking about himself. He remembered now.

Robyn smiled, and some birds fluttered above the three.

‘Apologies that I haven’t much else for us to do other than talk, and drink tea, Robyn. I’d have prepared something if I knew you were coming.’

‘It’s no issue, just being around you is quite the experience.’

‘You know she can play the piano entirely magically, Robyn? And she’s better than I ever was with my hooves!’

‘Haha can you?’

‘He’s being overly generous, but I can, yes. Really hard work for me, which he seems to like.’

Robyn laughed heartily at that. Sombra imagined Celestia’s shadow egging her on sister to embarrass and fluster him as much as she possibly could. In a headlock too. He tried to object.

‘It’s not fair, Luna. I’ve got Robyn here to tease me, but you haven’t got Celestia here to tease you.’

‘But she’s not been teasing you at all, Som-bra.’

Sombra made a noise between a groan and a gurgle. The excitement of showing Luna to Robyn was rapidly waning.

‘I think we’re wearing my poor son out, Luna. I know it’s probably earlier than Sombra leaves, and he doesn’t have to come with me, but I’d like to take my leave for his sake.’

‘You spoil him so.’

‘He’s a good colt.’

‘I’ll come with you anyway, Robyn, I’m dead tired.’

‘Thank you for the tea and hospitality, Luna, you’re being very generous with your time.’

‘Not at all, I enjoy it, your son does too. I should tell you before you go that while I can find you a place to stay in Canterlot, Robyn and perhaps Sombra, I can’t have the both of you in the palace. You might want to talk with him about what to do. Oh, and I hope you enjoy your sleep Som-bra.’ she added, winking at him.

They ended up going back by train—the pegasi weren’t keen on carrying two of them. It was nice going back by train though, Sombra could appreciate the pretty lights of Canterlot even if he was exhausted as though he’d galloped through the city. (And he was!)

‘Sombra, why did she call you that? It felt intrusive to ask.’

‘Som-bra? I don’t know, she’s always done that. I thought she might stop in front of you.’

The train stopped rocking along the tracks at some point, and the two of them trotted their way back to home. Sombra had never been so tired from doing so little, it didn’t feel entirely unpleasant though. I guess feeling lots can be tiring too. And trying not to feel debased too. That’s a bit strong, probably. Definately.

For reasons unknown, he hadn’t registered that Luna’s wink obviously meant she’d come visit him tonight, so he was quite surprised when she did.

No stars in the sky, check.

‘Really caught you off guard then didn’t I, my Som-bra?’

His form was a bit shaky from the shock of suddenly being dragged into the artificial dream.

‘I thought I wouldn’t be having any dreams considering how tired I was, but I guess that’s what your wonders can do, Luna. Can we talk about this envoy shit you were on about?’

PreviousChapters Next