• Published 2nd Nov 2013
  • 888 Views, 8 Comments

Sombra Dislikes Crystals - The Apologetic Pony



A story of Sombra's upbringing and how he came to be King of the Crystal Empire.

  • ...
1
 8
 888

PreviousChapters Next
Snails Don't Eat Peridots

On the chariot back, cold breeze rushing past, Sombra wondered what would happen if he did end up living there. It probably wouldn’t be great for her if Equestria found out she was dating some nobody, right? She seems to know what she’s doing though. Yeah, when doesn’t she?

After however long it took him to think about that, they landed in front of his house far past sunset. One of the pegasi asked ‘What’s your relation with Miss Luna?’

Sombra was shocked to hear them speak, they like, never speak. The other pegasi was staring at him too.

‘Huh?’

‘You heard me, kiddo.’

‘I’m her student. Hasn’t somepony told you that already?’

It looked like the guard was ready to hit him, until the other whispered in his ear. Instead after a few tense seconds, they just both walked away and said no more.

Sombra was shivering a little as he fumbled with the keys, and it wasn’t from the cold. They’re trained right? Fucking hell.

It started to rain as soon as he made it back into the house. At least they’ll be fucking cold and wet when they get back. He doubted the weather would be changed for some private chariot, even if it was Luna’s. The weather pegasi probably didn’t even know it existed.

Sombra fell asleep with the rain lashing at the windows.

Som-bra, do you like crystals?

Oh, so you’re the real Luna?

As real as a dream can be, Som-bra.

Hi then.

For once, Sombra noticed things other the voices. There was a mirage of Canterlot, and Luna held it in her hoof, like some cheap omen, metaphor, thing. That’s probably exactly what is, eh dude?

Stay awake, Som-bra.

Sure thing.

Good, now... World swapped and warped, and he was the world. Its how it feels to be me. Look, its you speaking now! We can see everything.

And they could see everything. Equestria shimmered and blinked like some dysfunctional magical circuitry. It didn’t feel like he was just watching it, they sensed it was going to behave before it did, like the trippy lighting representation it was.

So we are it? Even better, we’re the royal we! Feels like we’ll vomit out our vastness. Remember we, remember not. This Luna’s a fake too, said another we.

Sadly, he wasn’t god when he woke up, but it’s good to dream. Sombra could hardly remember anything from it, apart from there being some Luna, which probably wasn’t the real one, else she’d have made sure he remembered.

‘Morning, Robyn.’

‘Morning.’

Breakfast wasn’t fancy.

‘Say, what would you think if I wanted to move to Canterlot?’

Robyn took a moment to look away from the toast.

‘I’d be lonely. But I suppose you’d have good reason if you wanted to do something like that.’

‘Yeah I guess I would.’

‘You’re not making it sound very hypothetical.’

‘Yeah...’

Both of them shifted on their chairs.

‘Oh, there’s some mail, on the doormat.’ Robyn said.

Sombra lazily went to pick it up and opened it.

‘Looks boring, stuff about me voting for the daylight change.’

‘Are you not interested?’

‘No.’

Sombra sat back down and finished his breakfast.

‘Y’know when I came back yesterday night I thought one of the pegasus who’d flown me back was going to hit me. He seemed concerned for Luna, for some reason.’

‘Had you done something?’

Eh, not really. Something like an overprotective brother.

‘Don’t think so.’

‘Maybe he’d had a long day.’

‘Probably.’

While the little lie didn’t bother him, it didn’t feel all that great either. Oh well, good for your memory, help prevent cognitive decline, you silly stallion.

Sombra ended up not actually asking if it was okay to move to Canterlot. But waiting is rarely unwise right? Yeah you hide behind that, funny guy. You know, this inner monnlouge of yours is sounding more and more like Luna, huh.

He slept soundly, though apparently not well enough not to fall asleep on the train again. At least I didn’t get woken by the warden again.

After a brisk trot from the station, Sombra let himself (or rather, the guards didn’t stop him) into Canterlot palace, and the usual antechamber.

‘Hello, Luna.’

‘Evening, Som-bra!’

They were at the garden in no time and the grass waved in the wind.

‘You know, Som-bra, I want to try something a bit ambitious today.’

Sombra questioned if her eyes were really sultry, or if he was just inclined to take it that way.

‘What’s that?’

She leaned close and gave him a quick kiss.

‘A while ago when you tried to conjure an amethyst...’

‘That didn’t go too well did it? Ended up choking me.’

‘I want you to try that again, just, happy. And you’ve made some progress since then anyway.’

‘Other than making me nervous, won’t that just, not work? I couldn’t break my own crystals like that before.’

‘We only tried breaking them, not conjuring amethysts, or pumpkins.’

‘I suppose that’s true.’

Sombra turned his head, thinking he’d heard somepony step onto the grass, but there was nothing there. Maybe it was the rustle of feathers.

‘Som-bra, I’ll never let you come to harm, and if I do, I won’t ever teach you again. I couldn’t bear to.’

Sombra’s chest became very warm.

‘Wow, alright then, thanks. Umm, yeah, don’t know what to say to that.’

‘Well here’s to make sure you’re happy, whether you make those amethysts or not.’

Sombra snorted and said ‘Cheers?’

The alicorn and the unicorn kissed against the orange dusk, casting dwarf shadows on the grass beneath. Some leaves formed a miniature whirlwind pattering across marble, before stopping as they hit a pillar. That birdsong in the distance might have even belonged to a phoenix. All of this went unnoticed by the lovers, of course Sombra only knew his hooves were lower on her than they had any business being. Luna didn’t seem to mind though.

‘You must be happy enough by now, I am!’

That apparently didn’t mean that either of them wanted to let go of the other though. They did eventually, just with the vim and vigor of a drunk snail.

‘When you’re ready, you won’t get hurt no matter what.’

‘Ever?’

‘Never ever ever.’

PreviousChapters Next