• Published 2nd Nov 2013
  • 895 Views, 8 Comments

Sombra Dislikes Crystals - The Apologetic Pony



A story of Sombra's upbringing and how he came to be King of the Crystal Empire.

  • ...
1
 8
 895

PreviousChapters Next
Don't Ride On Chav Gold Carriages

‘Hey mom.’

I haven’t called her that since forever.

‘Was it a good lesson?’

‘Made crystals.’

‘Oh, pretty!’

He conjured some for her.

‘Oh.’

‘Won’t be making a pendant out of it will you?’

‘No, but I might pretend its from some sacred volcano.’

‘Could well be for all I know.’ Sombra said, feeling some blood rush to his cheeks.

Robyn coughed a bit before going to bed. Sombra had been so surprised and charmed at how well the conversation went that he even considered telling her about Celestia, but not for long. The world remained insincere to him.

There was that crystalline owl was back again again, though now it was made up of black shards.

‘Obviously not coincidental.’ somepony thought. ‘Though thoughts without owners are only ideas.’

‘Oh yeah?’

‘Hello.’ The owl said.

‘Good time being dead?’

‘Yes it was very fulfilling.’

‘Fun killing you.’

‘Not related?’

‘Unrelated.’

‘Say, you know somepony’s looking?’

‘Want me to kill you again?’

‘You never listen.’

When he got up, Sombra was distinctly uneasy. He told himself he was being paranoid, and that Luna wouldn’t lie to him. For all her flirtation, she still had an immortal’s wisdom. And cunning, and all that.

Robyn was eating as Sombra walked into the living room.

‘Good morning!’ she said.

‘Hi.’

‘Sleep well?’

‘Mmm yeah, sort of.’

‘What?’

‘No nothing really. Gonna go see Tinker later.’

‘You can always invite him here if you prefer.’

‘Mmm-hmm.’

He’d half-hoped he’d see the phoenix as he left to go to Tinker’s but it wasn’t there of course. Probably don’t stay in once place too long anyway.

Tinker wasn’t happy to see him.

‘What the fuck are you doing here, dude? I told you I didn’t want you to see him!’

His father I guess.

‘Bored.’

‘Freakin’ Luna... give me a minute then.’

A few minutes later, and they were walking to a cafe.

‘I guess things can’t be too harsh for you if you’re so worried about boredom?’

‘Haha I guess not. But boredom is boring y’know.’

‘Yeah I’d have never guessed.’

‘I do get to see Celestia soon though, apparently.’

Their conversation was interrupted by a waiter.

‘Celestia?’

‘Yeah she doesn’t like me very much or something.’

‘I thought you hadn’t met her?’

‘I haven’t, but she thinks my magic’s dangerous.’

Tinker slurped from his milkshake.

‘Not many issues where Celestia wants to see you are serious ones, unless she wants to fucking banish you haha.’

‘Nice knowing you!’

Tinker gave Sombra a comical salute.

‘But I dunno, Tinker. I wonder if there’s something wrong with me, when the world feels a little grey, and I’m just bored with everything.’

‘There probably is, if you’re using mixed metaphors.’

‘Yeah I need to go and see a lit teacher.’

‘But seriously, I’m here if you need me, despite what I said before, I do like seeing you.’

‘Good... You ever experienced anything like it though?’

‘What, being bored with life?’

‘Sure.’

‘Nah mine is pretty fleeting. Is it bothering you?’

‘Kind of, it's just like a dull pain.’

‘Oh that’s horrible!’

‘Its not severe or anything, I won’t be in a noose next time you see me haha.’

‘Yeah then I’ll have to turn to necrophilia for my thrills.’

And that was that. As usual, it’s fucking impossible to hold a serious conversation with him for more than a minute. Sombra’s sympathies stopped him from venting his frustrations right then and there of course. Instead he tried laughing to pretend he still gave a shit about Tinker’s shitty jokes. Sombra was back at home soon enough.

Alex didn’t come back.

Celestia sat beside her sister.

‘Have you been having fun in my dreams again? I’ve been having those typical odd thoughts that accompany them when I wake up.’

‘Maybe a little dip or two.’

‘Don’t be so coy with me, you know I don’t mind so long as its nothing major. Is that what you’re like with Sombra?’

‘No no all flirty and brazen, just like you’d be.’

They both smiled.

‘The poor colt must be scared of you.’

‘I’m gentle with him Tia, I assure you. He seems to have gotten used to it already!’

‘Must be into you.’

Luna giggled and stood up.

‘I’ll see you this evening then.’

‘Sweet dreams.’

‘That’s getting cliched.’ she said, because Luna didn’t ever dream.

Sombra was up earlier than usual for his lesson, apparently he was meeting Celestia today. He’d declined an offer from her for pegasi and chariot there. (It was too flashy, too chav for anything but the middle of the night.)

‘Good afternoon, Sombra.’

It felt weird hearing his name pronounced normally in Canterlot Palace.

‘Afternoon...’

‘Celestia is fine, unless you suddenly have some civil matters to discuss.’

‘No I don’t think so.’

‘Excellent. Luna tells me you’re fond of the garden,’ Celestia said, gesturing.

He knew how to get there already of course. The stark difference between Celestia and her sister became apparent to him as they sat down. Celestia had this commanding, highly dignified manner, spoke firmly but with good intent and didn’t take every opportunity she got to flex her wings. If Celestia is royalty, then Luna is a cheeky whore who wastes an infinite lifespan on teasing colts. But those words didn’t sit well with him, so ‘ cheeky whore’ melted into ‘pretty whore’ and then just ‘pretty.’ Sombra still felt he was being mean.

‘Would you like tea?’

Posh, and royal. Posh in a royal way.

‘No I’m fine, thanks.’

‘Forgive my boldness, but what have you been studying with Luna? I’m not sure how much of this she’s told you, but we have some disagreements regarding how far she should keep going with you. We’re on good terms otherwise, but we’ve avoided discussing the topic since, so I don’t know what you’ve been doing with her exactly.’

Trying to contain her lust! What about yours? Silly ideas.

‘Just innocuous stuff really,’ he said, before going on to explain all the details.

‘Crystals?’

‘Well kind of, these like useless black shards.’

He conjured some for her.

‘Odd looking pumpkin.’ Celestia said.

‘Don’t know why she chose a pumkin of all things.’

‘The reason is why I’m worried Sombra... it’ll be easier if I just show you. This might not be very pleasant for you, but I’ll make it brief.’

Celestia’s horn was surrounded with a familiar black, and then like his dreams, Sombra was somewhere else.

PreviousChapters Next