• Published 14th Oct 2013
  • 5,361 Views, 84 Comments

I Thought You Looked Familiar! - TheNewYorkBrony



One day on a class trip, a young girl named Twilight Sparkle makes the unsettling discovery that she is the most popular girl in a school she’s never heard of.

  • ...
17
 84
 5,361

I Know This Is Going To Sound Crazy...

The other girl Twilight had been talking to had went off to go catch up with their other friends. Twilight was now exploring the hall on her own. Now it was just her, and them.

"S-Should we go talk to her?" Fluttershy stuttered, cowering behind Rarity.

The seamstress nodded. "I don't see why not." She responded, taking a step forward.

"Wait!" Applejack called, stopping her. "Remember, this Twilight and the Twilight we know are two different people! She won't know about what happened last year!"

Rarity didn't think of that. "Oh damn it. Well, anyone else have any bright ideas?"

"We could always just explain to her what's going on." Dash suggested, always being the one to take the direct approach.

"Hey I just met you, and this is crazy, but you have a doppelganger from another world, maybe?" Pinkie sang, albeit the lyrics being a little out of tune.

"Like some stupid pop song would really make it that simple." Applejack replied, rolling her eyes. She was tired of Pinkie trying to solve all their problems with her songs. She let her pale orange hand fall to her hip, her eyes squinted in thought. "There really ain't no good way to go about this. Either way, it sounds batshit crazy."

Fluttershy frowned. "We can't afford to not say anything to her. If we befriend her, it would be a good idea to have her around until the real Twilight comes back."

"Who says she's coming back?" Dash asked. "She's a freaking princess for pete's sake. It's not like she can decide on a whim to come visit us. Besides, she has her own versions of us. Why would she need us ourselves?"

Fluttershy stayed quiet after that.

Applejack knocked her upside her head. "You know you can't speak so morbid around her!" She scolded.

Dash mumbled something incoherent before she finally said sorry. Fluttershy accepted, and straightened up a bit.

“Anyway, I feel like it’s important that we talk to her.” Fluttershy told them. “Besides, better we get to her before everyone else.”

The others hadn’t thought of that. Their class didn’t know that there was another Twilight. So if they saw this Twilight walking around- the poor girl would be swarmed with people she didn’t know.

“And she’s alone.” Pinkie agreed. “It would make it easier since she’s alone.”

“Fine! Let’s just, get this over with!” Dash growled, her judgement finally caving.

The girls walked over to her, and slowly she turned around and smiled at them. “Um, hi. Are you alright?” She directed towards Pinkie.

Pinkie gave her a curt nod, then poked Applejack with her elbow. The cowgirl glared at her shortly before taking on a friendly smile as she faced Twilight. “Hi, Twilight. We was wonderin’ if we could speak with you? Ya know, in private?”

Twilight blinked a few times, questioning how these girls that she’s never met knew her name. “Oh, sure. But may I ask why?” She responded, her expression changing to one that clearly showed she was beginning to become a little bit uncomfortable.

“You’ll see.” Applejack told her as she grabbed her hand, leading her into an unused exhibit hall. The others followed behind, keeping close.

Fluttershy closed the door behind them, Dash staying by her side to keep watch, just incase someone tried to come inside.

“So, what’s up?” Twilight asked, adjusting her tie.

“We don’t know how to explain this darling,” Rarity started, “But you have a doppelganger who’s from another world that came to this one to defeat someone.”

Twilight gave Rarity a blank expression, her eyes squinting in confusing. “Say what now?”

“It’s really hard to explain, sugarcube.” Applejack said, sitting on top of an old box. She realized that the room they were in seemed to be an old storage unit, with dusty boxes lining the walls, metal frames propped up against them, and old signs that looked like they had seen better days.

“I can explain it!” Pinkie chirped, waving her hands excitedly.

“Oh god, here she goes.” Dash mumbled under her breath.

Pinkie jumped up from her spot on the floor to start her story. “So we weren’t really friends at first right? And then in comes Twilight! Not you Twilight, but the other Twilight! She came in looking for her crown!” Pinkie pointed to the top of her head to emphasize her point, then continued, “She brought us all together, and we sung this awesome song!” She started doing the dance moves from their lunch song about Twilight kind of awkwardly, since it had been a year ago.

“And then she won the crown but her dog got taken! So we ran out and it turns out Sunset Shimmer had him! We battled with her and oh my gosh, we even turned into po-” Applejack clamped a hand over Pinkie’s mouth quickly.

“Okay, I think that’s enough, Pinkie!” She warned.

“But I was getting to the best part!” Pinkie whined, her voice being muffled by Applejack’s hand.

“Wait, did you just say Sunset Shimmer?” Twilight asked.

“Yeah! She goes to our school! She’s here right now too! But I don’t know where she went!” Pinkie answered her.

“I think I know her. Yeah, I definitely know her.” Twilight said, more to herself than the others.

“Wait, do you know our Sunset Shimmer or Twilight’s Sunset Shimmer?” Rainbow Dash asked, a little bit behind.

“Huh?” Twilight asked, genuinely confused.

“Let’s make this a little bit simplier.” Rarity declared, sitting down next to Twilight.

“Do you have a pet dog?” She asked.

“Yes.” Twilight answered.

“Is his name Spike?”

“Yeah bu-”

“Ah, ah.” Rarity reprimanded her, wagging a finger. “Yes or no answers only.”

Twilight only nodded, gearing herself up for the next question.

“Can he talk?”

There was a moment of silence, awkward tension filling the room as everyone awaited her answer. Somewhere in the distance a clock was ticking, and the busy buzz of the other people in the building could be heard faintly. After a few minutes, Twilight sighed.

“Yeah.”

The girls gasped, and Pinkie squealed with glee. They couldn’t believe it! They had finally found Their world’s Twilight! And she was almost exactly like the Twilight they had met! Just, except for one detail.

“Are you a pony?” Pinkie asked.

A swift wind blew outside, blowing open the windows in the room, causing their hair to blow into their faces.

“Excuse me?” Twilight asked.

Applejack and Rarity facepalmed, Fluttershy audibly groaned, and Rainbow banged her head on the wall behind her. This is exactly what they didn’t want to tell her.

“The Twilight we met was from another world.” Applejack explained. “One filled with,” she paused, biting her lip, realizing how ridiculous this was about to sound. “Ponies.”

Twilight stared at them for a long time, then started laughing loudly. She was laughing so hard that she had to grip her sides because they hurt so much. “Do you really expect me to believe this crap?” She asked, wiping tears from her eyes.

“No, but we do expect you to at least let us show you proof.” Dash growled, her fists balling up. Fluttershy put hand on her shoulder. She knew how angry she could get.

“Now listen here missy. You ain’t gotta believe a lick of what we saying, but you’re talkin’ to the element of Honesty, and Ah can tell ya this ain’t no joke.” Applejack told her, nearly grinding her teeth.

Twilight stopped laughing and gave her an apologetic look before something hit her. “The element of Honesty huh? Hmm. I thought I recognized you. You’re Applejack, right?”

Applejack nearly passed out. “Wait, how do ya know mah name?”

Twilight shrugged. “I just...do. I don’t know why, but I do.”

“W-What about me?” Fluttershy asked, stepping forward, pointing to herself.

“You’re...Fluttershy. The element of Kindness.” Twilight told her. She then pointed to Rainbow. “And you’re Rainbow Dash, the element of Loyalty. You’re Pinkie, the element of Laughter. And you’re Rarity, The element of Generosity.”

Pinkie jumped, latching on to Applejack. “Okay, things just got seriously freaky deaky.”

“But you’re our Twilight. The only Twilight who would know those things is the Twilight from the other world. And she left. We know she left. We saw her leave.” Fluttershy said in disbelief before sliding down the wall, bewildered.

“Yeah! There’s no way you’re that Twilight! You’d have to be loco in the coco to think that!” Pinkie agreed, her own faith in reality starting to fail her.

“I have no idea.” Twilight whispered. “So this Twilight, she’s a, pony?”

“Yeah, you could say that.” Dash answered.

“So there must be pony versions of you all.” Twilight concluded.

“Yer right on the money.” Applejack responded.

“Only I’m not, because I have no idea as to how I know what only she should know.” Twilight shivered. She didn’t like this feeling.

“Maybe it’s twin telepathy.” Pinkie mused.

“Twin ta what now?” Applejack barked.

“Twin telepathy.” Twilight corrected her. “It’s a phenomenon that occurs in which two siblings, usually twins, can share common thoughts and other things through brain waves. I read about it some time ago.”

“But they aren’t twins.” Rarity said, shaking her head. “They are just the same beings of the same entity from two different worlds.”

Pinkie thrashed her head around. “Dear God, this is making my freaking brain hurt!” She groaned, falling to the floor.

The door to the room opened, and in stepped Sunset, who still looked like she was in a bad mood.

“There you idiots are! What are you doing in-” She stopped mid-sentence, noticing the girl sitting in front of them.

She walked over to her and smirked. “Oh, looky looky." She taunted. "If it isn’t little Miss Twilight Sparkle. I thought I had gotten rid of you.” She snarled.

Twilight gulped, before she started to shake with fear. “S-Sunset Shimmer.”

Author's Note:

Dun dun duuuuun! Hey thanks for all the favorites! I didn't think this stoy was going to do so well! Thanks a lot! It's now a popular story! All thanks to you guys! But hey maybe we can get it to be featured? ;)