• Published 25th Sep 2013
  • 426 Views, 8 Comments

By Fear and Fire - SilentSky



The follow-up prequel to Mind Over Might, this is the story behind many events that go unexplained.

  • ...
3
 8
 426

PROLOGUE

---

Year: 2888 AD / 0 AGB
Location: Earth’s Moon, Sea of Tranquility, United Terran Fleet Lead Command

---

“High Admiral Joren, sir, please forgive my lateness. The North Atlantic spaceport came under attack just before we departed,” the officer explained as he rushed into the conference bunker.

“You’re forgiven, Vice Admiral Benjamin. This war is a damned mess if neutral assets are being targeted. Vice Admirals Maxwell, Gomez, Kagesaki, Sharon, Chawla, and Korolev are all ready to begin. Please have a seat,” the High Admiral, commander in chief of the United Terran Fleet, gestured to the last remaining open seat at the conference table.

“Now then, if we’re all ready to begin I’ll call this emergency meeting to order,” High Admiral Joren activated the main display, showing a map of the Earth. “As you can see on the map, there are very few areas of the planet not currently engaged in warfare. This used to be a simple, two-sided conflict, but now it’s so complex that it’s hard to tell exactly who is at fault. I will get straight to the point; I’ve rushed the commissioning of the newer warships. The Dragon-class was not scheduled to enter service for several months, but I believe we need to take decisive action to end this war. The directed EMP cannons all ships of that line are equipped with are more than powerful enough to knock out any missile bunker on the planet, but precise enough to avoid disabling hospitals, supply ships, and the like. Seventy-six of them are in stardock around Mars, they deploy in five days.”

Vice Admiral Kagesaki stood to speak, “With respect sir, I don’t believe the United Fleet has the personnel to crew those ships.”

He was answered by Vice Admiral Sharon, “Actually, we do. The High Admiral has tasked me with oversight of the decommissioning of the Arbiter-class. Those crews are already being prepared for their duties on the new vessels. The fifty-eight remaining Arbiters will be used to transport the crews to Mars. They will then enter stardock for scrapping.”

“Correct, Vice Admiral,” their leader stated, “The plan is for all seventy-six Dragons to encircle the globe, and I will issue an ultimatum to every leader of every government. Either they stop the fighting, or we will. Each vessel can completely disable very large military assets without harming any human life. I’d rather not have to paralyze every military on the planet, but I won’t see this war tear our civilization apart.”

The Vice Admirals seemed uneasy, so High Admiral Joren continued, “You all renounced citizenship of and loyalty to your respective home countries when you joined the United Terran Fleet. We are a peacekeeping force for planet Earth, partial to no single nation. If any of you have misgivings about attacking your own country, speak now.”

None of them spoke, but just as the High Admiral was about to continue, another officer interrupted the meeting.

“My apologies for intruding, sirs, but I have extremely urgent information for High Admiral Joren,” he rushed to the commanders side and began whispering silently to him. They watched as the High Admiral's expression went from calm and focused to outright horrified.

Moments later, the officer disappeared out of the room, and the High Admiral stood to address the council.

“Vice Admirals of the United Terran Fleet, I have just been informed that a 245-megaton thermonuclear device has been detonated over one of the most populous cities on Earth. I am ordering an immediate full scale deployment of every single ship and member of the Fleet, as well as an evacuation of as many civilians as possible. Get the Arbiters and their crews to the new ships. I am ending this war now before more cities are erased. Someone used the Bomb; it’s only a matter of time before someone else uses it.”
---
Year: 2912 AD / 24 AGB
Location: Unknown…
---
“Congratulations, Lord Blueblood, it’s a colt.”

The noble looked up from the diplomatic papers he’d been so carefully scrutinizing to occupy himself.

“Excellent, the line of succession is secure. When the foal is strong enough, have him brought before me. I wish to look upon my heir.”

The servant bowed his head, “Of course, my lord. In fact he was born a few hours ago, he is strong enough.”

Lord Blueblood stood calmly, his horn glowing ever so slightly in his anger, “And why was I not informed immediately when the child was born?”

“I beg forgiveness, my lord. Your wife asked me not to inform you until the foal was strong enough.”

He snorted in derision, “Lady Sanador…you once again test my patience. Very well, I will go myself.”

It was a short walk from his study to the Royal Infirmary. All the while Lord Blueblood wondered to himself…

Why would she keep this from me until the foal was stable?

As he entered the hospital room, nurses and doctors stood aside for him, “Welcome, my lord. The foal is healthy and peaceful.”

That was when he saw it, Lord Blueblood’s first glance at his own son made his stomach turn.

“And what…in the name of Celestia…is that?”

The doctor hesitated, “That’s...that’s your son, my lord.”

He pointed a hoof at the black maned, red coated infant colt, “That…is a disgrace. How dare you call that thing my son?”

Lord Blueblood stormed out of the room, leaving an air of tension behind him thick enough to cut with a knife.

---

The Canterlot noble sat in his study with his most trusted adviser.

“You are certain, absolutely certain the child is not a bastard?”

The adviser shook his head, “Absolutely, my lord. The physician who delivered the colt performed a fatherhood spell to verify this.”

“My legitimate heir…” he mused to himself, before turning back to his adviser. “...you understand the implications of my own legitimate son looking like that? House Blueblood has had a proud line of natural-born whitecoats for centuries. There are no genes for that coloration; this child cannot represent my line looking like that. His legitimacy would be questioned constantly, and thus would be my lady wife’s honor, thus my honor, thus the honor of my House...how could this happen?!” the white unicorn angrily stomped a hoof.

Hesitantly, his adviser spoke, “My…my lord, I do have a possible explanation.”

He received no response from Lord Blueblood, only an irritated glance, so he continued, “Lady Sanador, though she is a foreign noble, is of common birth.”

“Yes, I am well aware of her lowborn origins. ‘Marry a foreign commoner raised to nobility,’ they said. ‘It will look great politically,’ they said. In fact I believe it was you who said that…” he replied, glaring viciously at his adviser.

The adviser explained, “My lord, I beg forgiveness if I have been in error, but you did receive a large tract of land and a considerable store of riches in the marriage arrangement. Not to mention the respect of the commoners. Politically it was a very smart move. However, I believe there is a dominant gene for that coloration in her family. A white coat is a recessive trait. Marrying Lady Sanador was a good move politically, but perhaps not genetically.”

Lord Blueblood sighed, “I will keep the colt. I will feed him, and house him. But I will not confer upon him the noble name of Blueblood, nor will I grant him heirhood. He will have no claim to any of House Blueblood’s riches, lands, titles, or deeds. The title of ‘Prince’ will have to wait for my next son. Lady Sanador can choose his name for all I care.”
---
Year: 2888 AD / 0 AGB
Location: Low Earth Orbit…
---
“High Admiral, sir, the fleet is in position. Thirteen of the fifteen evacuation arks are safely in lunar orbit, the other two didn't make it off the surface before coming under attack. I'm receiving signals from all seventy-six Dragons. All have their EMP cannons charged, and their assigned targets locked in. The rest of the United Fleet is in position to protect the arks from any threat.”

The Admiral stood from his commander's chair on the bridge of the Sword of Peace, the new lead flagship for the entire United Fleet, “Very good, thank you Lieutenant. Com officer, prepare an open broadcast. I want every damned politician and government on Earth to hear me.”

After a moment of button-pushing, the com officer nodded to his superior.

“Attention, people and leaders of all the nations of Earth. This is High Admiral Joren of the United Terran Fleet addressing you. You have waged a war that has leveled countries, ended billions of lives, and partially destabilized the environment of our only habitable world. After nearly forty years of uninterrupted conflict, the initial cause of this ridiculous war has been lost to history, yet none of you have taken so much as a single step towards peace. It is on these grounds that the United Terran Fleet, peacekeeping force for the human race, has taken up arms to silence this conflict once and for all. You are all guilty of this crime, and therefore you will all be subject to the sentence which the eight of the High United Fleet Council have decided upon. I issue you an ultimatum. Cease all military operations within one hour. Not a single ship, not a single missile, not a single handgun should remain armed. At this moment, seventy-six advanced warships encircle the globe from low orbit, and they are all more than prepared to completely paralyze an entire military within minutes. Any nation that does not comply will have all military assets struck with a directed electromagnetic pulse, and rendered useless. Heed my one and only warning. If you do not end this war right now, we will.”

The channel closed, and High Admiral Joren waited several moments before looking to his Com officer, “Sir, I've got confirmation that your message has been received around the world. Several nations are-”

“Sir! We've got an incoming missile from the surface!” the tactical officer interjected.

“Is it nuclear?”

He took a moment to scan it, “No, sir. Conventional explosives, it's now on a ballistic trajectory headed straight for us.”

“Pathetic. Raise shields, and order the rest of the fleet to do the same. I want all the evac arks and their escorts to rendezvous at Lunar Lagrange point two. I doubt there are any trans-lunar nukes left, but I'm not taking any chances. No vessel will return fire without my direct order, but every ship is to keep shields up,” he commanded.

“Aye, sir.”

A sixty minute countdown appeared on the ship's main command display as the High Admiral reassumed his seat in the commander's chair, “Now we wait...”
---
Year: 2918 AD / 30 AGB
Location: Unknown…
---
“But mother, I don't understand. Why does Prince get to go to Celestia's Academy and I don't get to go to school at all?” the red-coated colt complained to his mother.

Lady Sanador sighed inwardly, how was a mother supposed to tell her son that he simply wouldn't be allowed to represent his family? That he wasn't good enough to carry his father's name?

She gently brushed his messy black mane with her hoof and spoke softly to him, “My son, Prince isn't special like you. Your younger brother's path is laid out before him, yours is of your own choosing.”

Those light green eyes of his, she could see the hurt in them. She knew those eyes well; they were identical to the ones she'd seen in a mirror all her life.

“B-but...I want to go to school, momma,” the little colt said, his voice cracking as he tried desperately not to cry.

Since first he could walk, Lady Sanador's first son had been eager to learn about the world around him. Many times she would find him sneaking into Lord Blueblood's study reading up on Equestrian history, scrutinizing the map of the world, studying aged tomes on military strategy, even exploring books on pony physiology.

She often found him in the gardens just watching the natural world work. He'd even taken it upon himself many times to find and heal small, injured animals such as birds and squirrels. Where he managed to pick up a healing spell at his age was beyond her wildest guesses, much less how he managed to perfect it and put it into use.

When his father proudly announced at the Gala that his offspring would be attending the most prestigious academy in all of Equestria, the little colt's horn sparked in excitement as his face lit up. It made it all the more painful for her to break the news to him. He'd always been a goodhearted colt, happy with what he was given, and eager to give back when he could. Taking this away from him may have been the hardest thing she'd ever done.

“I know you want to go to school, my son. I know...” she brushed back his mane again as she watched the tears well up in his eyes, and she could stand it no longer.

Lady Sanador picked up her young son and hugged him tightly as his tough little heart broke, and he finally let the tears flow.

“I...I just...just want to learn...” he sobbed over her shoulder.

It was all she could do not to cry herself, this was so unfair for him…

No, I have to be strong...I will be strong for my son…

That was when Lord Blueblood happened upon them in the master bedroom, where Lady Sanador had brought her son to break the news.

For a moment, the noble stared at the crying colt, as though he were about to say something derisive. He'd always resented the colt's very existence, as though his birth alone had been a crime. Thankfully, despite his razor sharp wit and intricate knowledge of the inner workings of Equestrian politics, his force of will had all the strength of a wet leaf.

Lady Sanador, on the other hand, had not been raised in so cushioned an environment. Where she lacked political prowess, she more than made up for it with a force of will like that of a mountain. Before Lord Blueblood so much as scoffed at her for comforting her son, she opened her eyes and shot him a look so venomous that he stumbled over his own hooves, and kept on moving right back out of the room.

Once the cold nobility had vacated the room, she turned her full attention back to her son, who was taking the short sharp breaths of a child who was almost done crying.

“W-what will I do? How can I learn if I don't get to...to go to school?” he managed to say.

She thought for a moment. How would he learn? Some way had to be found, it simply wasn't optional for a colt as thirsty for knowledge as he was.

Perhaps it's time Lord Blueblood's vast stores of gold be put to use. Far better this than collecting dust in a vault…

That was it; her son might not be given instruction by the most gifted scholars and unicorn mages Equestria had to offer, but he would be given a true, worldly education.

It's not as though my lord husband will miss me if I'm gone for a few years…

“I will be your teacher, my son. And this whole world will be your academy.”

---

Comments ( 8 )

3255015 I'm happy to finally bring some new content! Can't wait to post the next chapter. :pinkiehappy:


I hope your body is ready.

3257632 I love your avatar. Just have to say so. :pinkiehappy:

3256728

When is this 'next chapter' going to come?

3268489

3m 52s, 3m 53s, 3m 54s, 3m 55s...

Cancelled? What? WHY? :raritydespair::fluttercry:
EDIT: Ok, maybe I should check blog posts. Still...

Login or register to comment