• Published 16th Sep 2013
  • 8,611 Views, 175 Comments

My Little Pony, Friendship is Out of This World - Robobrony



Two ponies from space come to Equestria to make a home for themselves.

  • ...
11
 175
 8,611

PreviousChapters Next
Flim Flam Fiasco

Flim Flam Fiasco

Nova and Starburst were sleeping soundly early in the morning when there was a knock at the door that woke them from their slumber. “Huh, what?” Starburst shot up first from the knocking.

Nova slowly sat up with a yawn and a stretch. “What the galaxies is going on?” He asked tiredly. “Who could that be so early?” He climbed out of bed and made his way out of the bedroom as Starburst plopped back down on his pillow. Nova used his magic to disguise him just in case. He opened the door to see Twilight and Spike there. “Twilight, Spike? What’s going on? It’s still early isn’t it?”

Twilight had a smile. “I know, but don’t you remember, today is the first day of cider season.”

At the mention of cider season, Starburst immediately shot up and bolted for the door next to Nova, not bothering to disguise himself. “Did you say cider season?” He had a grin on his face.

Twilight giggled in response. “Yes, I did. There’s going to be lots of ponies lining up so we need to get there early to make sure we can get some.”

Starburst immediately used his magic to disguise himself. “Come on Nova, let’s go!” He cheered.

Nova chuckled at Starburst’s enthusiasm. “All right Starburst, hang on, we need to get our holo emitters first.” Nova went back to his room where he found the gizmos and put his on. Then cancelled his disguise spell and activated the device. Nova came back out, gave Starburst his who did the same thing and were now ready to go.

“All right come on let’s go!” Starburst cheered.

Twilight had told Nova and Starburst about Cider season a couple days ago and mentioned how good the apple family cider was. This got Starburst excited and wanted to get a sample. Sadly, he would have to wait for this day. Thankfully, it finally came.

After a bit of a walk, they reached the road that led to the gate of Sweet Apple Acres, but there was a massive line already. “Sweet celestial bodies, look at this line?” Nova commented. “The cider is really good enough to get such a long line going?”

Twilight rolled her eyes. “Sadly yes, so there’s always a very long line. Most of the time, the apple family is unable to make enough cider for every pony that wants some.” More ponies started to file in behind them.

“I hope we can get some.” Starburst said.

“Me too.” Spike parroted.

A few moments later, Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy hovered by with Rainbow looking none too pleased.

“Rainbow Dash, what’s wrong?” Nova asked.

Rainbow stopped and looked to Nova. “Pinkie’s at the front of the line and now there’s this huge line I have to get in to wait for the cider!” Rainbow exclaimed angrily. “That pony always buys so much of it each year, by the time my turn comes up…if at all…they run out of cider!”

“Really?” Nova asked. “That doesn’t seem very considerate of Pinky. How much do they distribute the cider?”

“One cup for two bits.” Fluttershy said. “And Pinky tends to buy quite a few.”

“Well that’s not very considerate of her considering how many ponies there are wanting a taste.” Starburst pointed out.

“We’d better get to the back before it gets any longer and hope we can get some.” Rainbow said and zipped off with Fluttershy before Nova could say anything else.

“Well, that must suck atoms.” Nova commented. “I may have to talk to Pinkie about limiting herself on the cider.”

“I hope you can get through to her Nova.” Twilight said as she nuzzled Nova.

Nova smiled and nuzzled back.

Both Spike and Starburst stuck out their tongues. “Ewe, kissy face.” Spike teased.

Nova gave a warning look to the two with a smirk. They laughed in return.

Applejack’s voice sounded out amplified by a megaphone. “Attention everypony! Cider season is officially open!” The line of ponies cheered.

Time went on as they waited and Nova noticed Pinkie walk by with a large number of cups of cider she was carrying in her front hooves as she walked on her back legs. Nova shook his head in disappointment and made a mental note to talk to her later about that. Soon, Twilight, Spike, Nova, and Starburst made it to the front of the line where Granny Smith was managing the bits and Apple Bloom was working the tap and managed to get themselves some Cider. Nova paid for Starburst’s cup and they went off in another area to talk while they enjoyed the cider.

Nova and Starburst took their first sip of the cider and hummed in delight. “Mmmm….that is good.” Nova said.

“I’ll say, that is one great drink. I love cider.” Starburst cheered.

Nova noticed Rainbow managed to make it to the front of the line. “Hope she gets some.” He said to himself. Sadly, the tap rattled and fizzled signaling the barrel was empty. What’s worse, it was the last barrel of cider for the day too.

“Oh dear, there goes the last of it.” Twilight commented.

“Heh, sorry every pony, that’s it fer today!” Applejack announced.

Some of the ponies groaned out in disappointment. “Surprise surprise, you ran out of cider again.” Rainbow said angrily.

“Yeah, you always run out!” Caramel said with equal anger and annoyance.

“For the record, I don’t mind…” Fluttershy tried to say before she was cut off.

Rainbow hovered off the ground. “Why can’t you make enough cider for all of us? Or at least for me.”

The group of ponies that didn’t get cider started joining in.

“This doesn’t look good.” Starburst said.

Applejack jumped onto the stand to speak. “Hold on every pony. We’ve done our best to improve supply this year.”

“You always say that!” Caramel announced.

Applejack continued. “And it’s always true. But Apple family cider is made with love and integrity, and only the highest quality apples in Equestria. Sorry, but that recipe takes time.”

The group started complaining silently as they dispersed.

“If ya’ll just be patient, we’ll have plenty more tomorrow.” Applejack called.

Rainbow made her way to Nova, Twilight, Spike, and Starburst with Fluttershy. Pinkie suddenly popped up next to Dash. “She’s right you know, you can’t rush perfection. And this year’s batch was perfection.”

Rainbow seemed a little irritated at Pinkie’s words. “Um…Pinkie Pie?” Fluttershy tried to get Pinkie’s attention.

“I’ll never forget the cider I drank. It was a moment…”

“Pinkie!” Nova shouted to get Pinkie’s attention before she annoyed Rainbow anymore.

“Yes Nova?” Pinkie fluttered her eyes at Nova.

“Could I speak to you alone for a moment please?” Nova asked.

“Sure.” Pinkie followed Nova away from the group where they could talk. “What’s up?”

Nova began. “Pinkie, I understand that you like cider and all, but don’t you think you buy too much when you get some?”

“Are you kidding? I can’t get enough!” Pinkie exclaimed.

“I’m afraid that’s a problem then.” Nova said. “Think of it this way Pinkie, you buying so many cups of the cider at once leaves less cider for other ponies to get.”

Pinkie fell silent a moment and thought. “Oh my gosh, you’re right! Oh how could I have been so selfish and not even know it!” She seemed genuinely sorry. “I’m so sorry, I didn’t realize what I was doing.”

Nova gave a smile. “It’s fine Pinkie, from now on, just buy one cup like every pony else.”

Pinkie gave a salute and performed her pinkie promise. “Cross my heart and hope to fly, stick a cupcake in my eye. I promise to only buy one cup each day from now on.”

“Glad to hear it Pinkie.” Nova said with a smile.

It was then a strange honk filled the air and some odd vehicle pulled up and knocked the fence running along the apple family property. The ponies started gathering around it in curiosity. “What in the galaxies is that?” Starburst asked as he, Twilight, Nova, and Spike went to see for themselves.

Two unicorns, one with a mustache, both with yellow coats, red and white manes and tails and the one without a mustache had an apple slice while the one with a mustache had an apple with a slice missing for a cutie mark appeared from the thing on a kind of stand at the front of the strange thing. They both wore white and blue vests and hats.

The one with the apple slice cutie mark started rhyming while music seemed to start playing.

Flim: Well, lookie what we got here, brother of mine, it's the same in every town

Ponies with thirsty throats, dry tongues, and not a drop of cider to be found

Maybe they're not aware that there's really no need for this teary despair

Flam: That the key that they need to solve this sad cider shortage you and I will share

The ponies started chatting away excitedly.

Flim and Flam: Well you've got opportunity

In this very community

Flam:He's Flim

Flim: He's Flam

Flim and Flam: We're the world famous Flim Flam brothers

Traveling salesponies nonpareil

Pinkie Pie: Non-pa what?

Flim: Nonpareil, and that's exactly the reason why, you see

No pony else in this whole place will give you such a chance to be where you need to be

And that's a new world, with tons of cider

Fresh squeezed and ready for drinking

Flam: More cider than you can drink in all your days of thinking.

Rainbow Dash: I doubt that.

Flim and Flam: So take this opportunity

The crowd started joining in on the song at this point other than Twilight, Nova, Starburst or Spike.

In this very community

Flam: He's Flim

Flim: He's Flam

Flim and Flam: We're the world famous Flim Flam brothers

Traveling salesponies nonpareil

Flim: I suppose by now you're wondering 'bout our peculiar mode of transport

Flam: I say, our mode of locomotion

Flim: And I suppose by now you're wondering, where is this promised cider?

Flam: Any horse can make a claim and any pony can do the same

Flim: But my brother and I have something most unique and superb

Unseen at any time in this big new world

Flim and Flam: And that's opportunity

Flim: Folks, it's the one and only, the biggest and the best

Flam: The unbelievable

Flim: Unimpeachable

Flam: Indispensable

Flim: I can't believe-able

Flim and Flame: Flim Flam brothers' Super Speedy Cider Squeezy 6000

Flam: What d'you say, sister?

Crowd: Oh, we got opportunity

In this very community

Please Flim, please Flam, help us out of this jam

With your Flim Flam brothers' Super Speedy Cider Squeezy 6000

Flim: Young filly, I would be ever so honored if you might see fit to let my brother and I borrow some of your delicious, and might I add spell-bindingly fragrant apples for our little demonstration here?

Applejack: Uh, sure, I guess.

Crowd: Opportunity, in our community

Flam: Ready Flim?

Flim: Ready Flam?

Flim and Flam: Let's bing-bang zam!

Flim: And show these thirsty ponies a world of delectable cider!

Sadly at this point, even Twilight and Spike were getting into the song and sales pitch these unicorns were giving. Starburst was too. Nova had a bad feeling about these two though and wasn’t joining in.

Crowd: Cider, cider, cider, cider..

Flim: Watch closely my friends!

Flam: The fun begins!

Flim: Now, here's where the magic happens, right here in this heaving roiling cider press boiling guts of the very machine, those apples plucked fresh are right now as we speak being turned into grade-A top-notch five-star blow-your-horseshoes-off one-of-a-kind cider!

Flam: Feel free to take a sneak peek!

Granny Smith: Now wait, you fellers, hold it!

You went and over-sold it!

I guarantee that what you have there won't compare

For the very most important ingredient

Can't be added or done expedient

And it's quality, friends, Apple Acre's quality and care!

Flim: Well Granny, I'm glad you brought that up, my dear, I say I'm glad you brought that up

You see that we are very picky when it comes to cider if you'll kindly try a cup

Flam: Yes, sir, yes ma'am this great machine, it's just the very best

So whaddaya say then, Apples

Care to step into the modern world

And put the Super Speedy Cider Squeezy 6000 to the test?

Crowd: Cider, cider, cider, cider... [continues until Flim and Flam begin singing]

Flim: What do you think, folks? Do you see what the Apples can't? I see it clear as day! I know she does! So does he! C'mon Ponyville, you know what I'm talking about!

Flim and Flam: We're saying you've got

Flim, Flam, and Crowd: Opportunity

In this very community

He's Flim, he's Flam

We're the world famous Flim Flam brothers

Traveling salesponies nonpareil

Flim and Flam: Yeah!

Apple Bloom rushed up to the two and held out a hoof. “You got a deal!” The crowd started chatting excitedly.

Granny Smith called in protest. “Not so fast!” The apple family gathered into a huddle. “No way no how that machine can match up to the care we put in our cider!”

“But if it really does work, we could make every pony in town happy.” Apple Bloom argued.

Applejack was very unsure about it. “I just don’t know ya’ll. We’ve always made cider the same way.”

Big Mac sounded in agreement. “Eeyup. Huh?”

Somehow the Flim Flam brothers worked their way into the huddle with Flim speaking first. “We’ll sweeten the deal. You supply the apples…” He left it off for his brother to pick up.

“We’ll supply the super speedy cider squeezy 6,000.”

They then spoke together. “Then split those sweet sweet profits.”

Flim again. “Seventy five.”

Then Flam. “Twenty five.”

Apple Bloom cheered. “Deal.”

Applejack cut in. “Hold it. Who gets the seventy five?”

“Why us, naturally.” Flim said smugly.

Flam chimed in. “And we’ll throw in the magic that powers it for free.

Nova stood by long enough. “I got a better idea. If you two are going to go into buisness with the apples, why not split the profits fifty fifty?” He had his eyes narrowed.

The flim Flam brothers looked to Nova with a raised brow and Flam followed up with a question. “And just who are you?”

“My name is Nova. Applejack is a very dear friend of mine. So if you think I’m going to just stand by and let you swindle her and her family out of their money and farm, then you’ve got another think coming.” Nova shot a fierce glare at the brothers.

“Sorry sunny, but if you’re not part of the apple family, this doesn’t really concern you now does it?” Flim asked.

“It does when you’re trying to rob my friends of their bits.” Nova said angrily and lit up his horn threateningly.

“Easy Nova, we’ll handle this.” Applejack said. “Thanks fer wantin ta help though.” She turned back to her family. “We rely on cider sales to keep Sweet Apple Acres afloat during the winter. If we take this deal, we’ll lose the farm.”

“No deal.” Big Mac said with a stomp of his hoof.

Nova smiled at that, then smirked at the brothers.

Flim gave a humph. “Very well. If you refuse our generous offer to be partners, then we’ll just have to be competitors.”

Applejack glared at the brothers. “You wouldn’t dare.”

Flim gave a smirk. “Oh no?”

Flame followed up as the brothers hopped back onto their contraption. “Don’t worry everypony, there’ll be plenty of cider for all of you!” He then whispered something to Applejack that made her look worried.

Nova kept his glare on the brothers as they rode off in their machine and gave a snort. “Lousy unicorns. I bet I could come up with something that makes cider much faster than them.” He said to himself, but others heard.

Twilight came up to him. “You really think so?”

“Nova, that’s mighty nice o’ yah, but the way we do it just can’t be replicated. We put a lot of love and care in our recipe fer cider.” Applejack said.

“Sorry, I just couldn’t stand those two or the thought of them running you out of your home.” Nova said. “I’m willing to do what I can to help you out do those two though.”

“Thanks partner, but I don’t think I’m too worried about them.” Applejack said.

The next day:

Cider season was still on the next day and Nova got his mother and father to join them in the line with Twilight and spike for some cider. They managed to get some after a long wait. “Mmm, this cider is delicious, you weren’t kidding son.” Cosmos said.

“I’ll say, this is so good.” Starla added.

“We told you it was good.” Starburst said.

Twilight was close to Applejack who looked a bit worried. “Still worried about Flim and Flam?” Twilight asked.

“Granny Smith said they were just blowin hot air.” Spike said.

“I’m not so sure. They sounded mighty serious when they threatened to run us out of buisness.” Applejack replied.

“Don’t worry Applejack. If they even try, I’ll be sure to let them know this is apple family cider country.” Nova said.

“Flime and Flam?” Starla questioned.

“They’re a pair of unicorns that came here yesterday and tried to cut a deal with Applejack and her family to work with them in making cider. But the deal they offered made it so they would get most of the money while Applejack and her family barely got any.” Nova informed.

“Well that doesn’t sound nice?” Cosmos said.

Apple Bloom’s voice called out over the crowd. “That’s it! Last cup!” The ponies sighed in dissapointment.

“Oh for Pete’s sake!” Rainbow yelled from near the back of the very long line.

“Poor Rainbow Dash.” Starburst said.

“Come on back tomorrow every pony!” Apple Bloom called again.

The group of ponies started complaining again and were about to leave when the Super Speedy Cider Squeezy six thousand pulled up and bumped into the fence again just after Granny Smith finished fixing it. “That’s Flim and Flam.” Nova said with a light glare at the two as they approached to his mom and dad.

Flim jumped down and came up to Applejack. “What seems to be the problem here?”

Flam gave a fake dramatic look with a hoof to his forehead. “Oh my, out of cider again?”

Flim went to the back of their machine that ejected a barrel of cider. “What have we here? Who’d like a cup?”

Flam then made his little announcement. “Don’t worry every pony, we’ve got the Super Speedy Cider Squeezy six thousand to make more in an instant.

The crowd started gathering around in excitement. Rainbow was the first to go up to them and get a cup. Applejack took out her lasso and roped the barrel to pull it away. When she did, the barrel knocked the cup of cider out of Rainbow’s hooves and soaked into the ground. “You can’t sell that cider! It’s made with Apple family apples!”

Rainbow had dropped down to the ground and tried to eat the dirt the cider soaked into before sitting back up with tears in her eyes. “Is this some kind of cruel joke?”

Flim made another announcement. “Don’t worry every pony, there are plenty of apples in Equestria. We’ll find some more and make more cider than all of Ponyville can drink!”

The crowd gasped in surprise.

“We’ll make more cider than you can imagine!” Apple Bloom announced.

The crowd gasped again.

Granny came over to stop Apple Bloom. “Now it aint about the speed youngin, it’s about the quality.”

“Who cares how good the cider is if I never get to drink any!” Rainbow declared angrily.

“Rainbow Dash, are you really so selfish? Think about what these two want to do to Applejack and her family!” Nova said.

“Oh, look at these poor dissatisfied ponies.” Flim said as he squished Dash’s cheeks together.

“Ponyville is Sweet Apple cider country.” Apple Bloom said with a stomp of her hoof.

“Our cider speaks for itself.” Applejack insisted.

Flim gave a challenging smirk. “Let’s put it to the test.”

“Anytime, anywhere.” Apple Bloom said.

The crowd gasped as Nova and his family grew concerned.

Granny tried to calm the situation. “Well, that’s enough now.”

“With our machine, we can make enough cider to satisfy this entire town in one hour.” Flam said smugly.

“We’ll do it in fourty five minutes.” Apple Bloom insisted.

“Easy, Apple Bloom, easy.” Granny said as she tried to calm Apple Bloom.

Flim continued with a smug look. “What’s the matter Granny Smith, chicken?”

Granny narrowed her eyes at Flim and Flam. “What did you call me?”

Flam continued to egg Granny Smith on. “If you’re so confident in your cider, then what’s the problem.”

Granny rushed to Flam with a glare. “Tomorrow mornin, right here!”

Flim picked up an apple with his magic. “But I’m afraid we haven’t any,” He spat on an apple and rubbed it against his vest. “Apples.”

“You can use our south field!” Granny said. “It’ll be worth it ta teach you a thing or two abut cider makin.” Granny said angrily.

Nova facehooved. “This will not end well.”

Flim shook Granny’s hoof. “Excellent, we have a bet. Whoever produces the most barrels in one hour wins the exclusive rights to sell cider in Ponyville.”

Granny shook a hoof at them angrily. “And after we beat ya, I never want ta see you bambahoozlers around here again!” The crowd started chattering away.

“Until tomorrow.” Flam said as he and his brother gave a bow and rode off in their machine again.

Twilight came up to Applejack and placed a hoof over her shoulder. “Don’t worry Applejack, I know you and your family will win tomorrow.”

Applejack was still looking worried. “We’d better, cause if we don’t, we’re gonna lose our farm.

Nova came up with a few words of his own. “Hey, I’m not going to let you lose your farm. I don’t care about some stupid bet. If you do lose, I’ll chase those two off myself if I have to.”

Applejack shook her head. “No Nova, it wouldn’t be right. We made an agreement.”

“What wouldn’t be right is you and your family losing your farm after having lived here for so many years.” Nova insisted.

“Nova, please, don’t make this any harder than it has to. If we lose, we’ll leave.” Applejack insisted.

Nova sighed and hung his head. “Fine Applejack. Just know that if you do lose, your family can stay with us. May not be much room, but I think we can figure something out.”

Applejack smiled. “Thanks partner.”

Later that evening after Starburst had gone to bed, Nova was sitting outside his house looking up at the stars again. Twilight had seen Nova from her balcony and went to join him. “Hey Nova, can’t sleep?” She sat next to him and leaned in on his side.

Nova smiled at the action as he responded. “I’m just worried about tomorrow. If Applejack and her family lose the contest, they could lose everything. It wouldn’t be fair for that to happen to them.”

“I know, but Applejack isn’t one to back out of a deal no matter the outcome or consequences.” Twilight said.

Nova nuzzled Twilight’s mane. “Applejack and her family are good ponies. If it weren’t for them, there wouldn’t be a Ponyville would there?”

“No, there probably wouldn’t.” Twilight responded as she nuzzled Nova back. “We just have to have faith they’ll win and cheer them on.”

“I guess so.” Nova wrapped a foreleg around Twilight and held her close. “I know what it’s like better than anyone to lose a home.”

“I can’t imagine what that must have been like, but it’s in the past. You have a new home now, and plenty of friends who care about you.” Twilight smiled and kissed Nova on the cheek.

“I know, and let’s not forget I have my mom and dad back, and a beautiful mare I’m going to marry.” Nova smiled down at Twilight.

Twilight blushed at that. “Looking forward to it.” They shared a loving kiss on the lips. “See you in the morning Nova.”

“Yeah, see you in the morning.” Nova said back as Twilight walked back to her house. After a while, Nova eventually went inside and went to bed.

The next day arrived and every pony had gathered at Sweet Apple Acres to watch the contest between the Apple family and the Flim Flam brothers. Granny Smith was sniffing apples to get ready for her part while Big Mac was stretching his legs and Applejack was bucking a bucking back (Punching bag) with Apple Bloom hanging off of it.

Mayor Mare was going to be the judge of the contest and an earth pony stallion, Time Turner, stood by an hourglass to act as the timer.
Twilight and Nova approached Applejack together. “Applejack, are you sure this is such a good idea?”

“Me and the family…” Applejack bucked the back. “…are one hundred percent…” She bucked it again. “…confident in our cider making capabilites.”

Apple Bloom added her thoughts. “And besides, no pony calls granny a chicken.”

“I Just wish it hadn’t come down to this.” Nova said.

“I know Nova, me too.” Applejack said.

Mayor Mare sounded off through a megaphone. “Attention everypony!”

“Well, good luck Applejack.” Twilight said.

“Yeah, we’ll be rooting for you.” Nova added.

“Thanks, we’ll need it.” Applejack said.

Twilight and Nova headed back to join the crowd where their other friends were waiting along with Nova’s family and other friends he made. Berry Punch, Golden Harvest, Derpy Hooves, Cheerilee, Vinyl Scratch, and Octavia were there as well.

Mayor Mare continued with her announcement. “The teams have one hour to produce as much cider as they can, after which the barrels will be counted up and the winner will be named the sole cider provider for all of Ponyville!”

The crowd gasped.

“Man, I sure hope the apple family wins this.” Vinyl said with a worried look.

“You and me both.” Octavia agreed.

“They have to win, they’re the best cider makers we know.” Derpy said.

“We just have to have faith they’ll win and cheer them on.” Golden Harvest added.

Nova smiled at his other friends. “I’m glad you all are here to support the Apple family.”

“Of course, why wouldn’t we?” Cheerilee asked with a smile.

Mayor Mare looked to the Apple family and Flim and Flam. “Are both teams ready?”

Granny gave a snort as Applejack answered. “Ready.”

Flim and Flam answered together as they simply lay on the seat of their machine in confidence. “Ready.”

Mayor Mare raised a hoof. “Then lets….GO!” Both teams began.

Applejack and Apple Bloom were collecting apples, Granny Smith was inspecting them and Big Mac was running on a treadmill connected to a giant stone wheel to turn the apples to cider and put them in barrels.

Flim and Flam’s machine had a giant hose that sucked up apples from the trees and into the part that inspects them, then to the juicer and finally into a barrel that was quickly ejected.

“Great job ya’ll!” Applejack cheered. “We’ve already filled an entire barrel.”

Apple Bloom cheered. “Yeah, I’ll bet them brothers don’t even have-“ She stopped herself when she noticed how many barrels the Flim Flam brothers had. The Apple family gasped when they noticed too.

Flim and Flam had already six barrels full stacked up.

Applejack looked very worried then and gulped.

“Come on Apple family, you can do it!” Starla cheered.

“Don’t give up yet!” Cosmos cheered.

Apple Bloom was mesmerized by the machine.

Applejack bucked a tree. “Come on Apple Bloom, focus. We gotta stay focused if we wanna beat these guys!”

Apple Bloom snapped out of her stupor. “Sorry sis.” She quickly collected the apples that fell and brought them to Granny Smith. “Better hurry up Granny, we gotta work harder or we’ll fall behind.”

Granny wiped some sweat off her brow and continued on working as fast as she could. “Badder, gooder, badder, gooder.”

Big Mac was hanging his head and panting and sweating tiredly. “Rest when it’s over Big Mac, ride!” Applejack cheered. Big Mac lifted his head and picked up his speed again.

“This is just dreadful. Even at top speed the apples are only making one barrel for the brothers every three.” Rarity pointed out.

“Oh no, they’re gonna lose!” Starburst cried out.

Twilight had a thought and led her friends and Nova and Starburst over to Mayor Mare. “Um, miss mayor. Are honorary family members allowed to help in the competition?”

Mayor Mare brought a hoof to her chin. “Well I don’t know. Flim, Flam, would you object to honorary family members helping?”

Flim just waved a hoof. “Are you kidding?”

Flam followed up. “We don’t care if the entire kingdom of Canterlot helps. It’s a lost cause.”

Mayor Mare looked back to Twilight. “I guess it’s okay.” She then looked over to Applejack. “Applejack, what do you say?”

Applejack just bucked another tree before answering. “I think I’d love to have the rest of my family helpin out.”

“All right!” The group cheered.

Everypony lined up in front of Twilight as she gave orders of who would go where. “All right every pony, we’re not going to let those smooth talkers take our friends farm.”

“Yeah!” The group cheered again.

“Fluttershy, help Applejack with the trees.”

Fluttershy nodded. “Got it.”

“Pinkie Pie, Starburst, you two are on apple catching detail.”

Pinkie saluted. “Yes sir mam sir.”

Starburst saluted too. “You can count on me Twilight.”

“Rarity, you have a discerning eye, and Nova, with your scanning spell, you two can help Granny with quality control.”

“Of course.” Rarity responded.

“No sweat.” Nova said.

Twilight finally moved down to Rainbow Dash. “Rainbow Dash, do you think you can help Big Macintosh with the press?”

“In my sleep.” Rainbow responded with a smirk.

“All right every pony, let’s save Sweet Apple Acers.” Twilight declared.

“All right!” Every pony cheered. They all went off to their stations to begin work.

While Applejack bucked the trees, Fluttershy flew into them to shake the apples loose. Starburst helped Apple Bloom and Pinkie with catching them. Pinkie caught a few and called out to Apple Bloom. “Over there Apple Bloom, don’t miss them.”

Apple Bloom dove and caught a bunch of apples. “Right behind ya Pinkie Pie!” She called out.

Pinkie flipped behind her with her bucket and caught a few. “Starburst, over there!” Pinkie cheered.

“I got em!” Starburst leapt to the side and caught some apples himself. They brought the buckets to Granny, Rarity, and Nova for inspection.

Granny was going faster than she had before. “Badder, gooder, badder, badder.” She tossed the bad apples away while the good ones went to the press.

Rarity used her magic to lift the apples to inspect and did the same with the good and bad ones. “Lovely, horrid, horrid, lovely.”

Nova had a kind of line going for him while he kept his scanning spell active and had the apples pass through it one by one. “Good, bad, good, good, bad.” He tossed the bad ones aside while tossing the good ones to the press.

Rainbow Dash was on the treadmill next to Big Mac to help him keep up the pace. Twilight took over placing empty barrels under the spigot for the press then capping the barrel once it was full and stacking them off to the side.

In the middle of it, Twilight did some calculations. “According to these figures, we’re making five barrels for every three of theirs.”

“All right! GO APPLES!” Vinyl cheered loudly from the side along with the rest of the crowd.

“Keep it up every pony, we’re back in this!” Applejack cheered.

It was then the brothers seemed worried. Flim spat some of the cider he was drinking in Flam’s face and grabbed his brother by the shoulder. “Come on brother, we need to pick up the pace.”

“Right, uh, double the power!” Flam suggested and the two shot a magic beam from their horns to the machine. It started sucking up entire trees instead of just apples that greatly impeded their progress as the machine rejected every apple as there was a mix of leaves and twigs.

“We’ve got to try something else.” Flim said.

Flam just smiled. “I’ve got it brother of mine.” He pushed a button that turned off the quality control function and the machine was now producing more barrels.

“Well done Flam, we’re at top productivity!” Flim cheered.

Rainbow noticed the change in productivity and flew off the press.

“Come on Rainbow Dash, keep running.” Twilight said.

“We don’t have time for quality control if we want to win this thing!” Rainbow declared and flew over to try and start tossing apples in.

Granny got in her way. “Wah! Back off you. One bad apple spoils the bunch!”

“Rainbow Dash, this is no way to win.” Nova said as he kept going.

“Applejack, help me!” Rainbow said.

Applejack wiped some sweat off her forehead. “There’s no point in winnin if we cheat!”

“We’ll just have to work harder. Come on every pony!” Twilight cheered.

Rainbow Dash grew determined. “All right then, double time!” She went back to the press to help Big Mac.

Spike was keeping a close eye on the time as Applejack and her family and friends worked hard as they could to catch up to the Flim Flam brothers. Flim and Flam just sat on their seat comfortably as they kept their confidence of winning the contest.

Time was slowly running out and drew close to the end as tension grew for every pony. “Times up!” Mayor Mare declared as the hour glass ran out.

After the announcement was made, the group of friends collapsed in exhaustion and the crowd cheered.

“Oh, I hope they won.” Golden Harvest said.

Twilight and Applejack lay next to each other. “I’m proud of you Applejack.”

“Thanks.” Applejack said as she panted.

“Integrity like that…will always be…rewarded.” Twilight panted out.

“Flim and Flam win!” Mayor Mare declared.

The crowd seemed saddened by this.

“We…lost?” Applejack asked.

“No…and we worked so hard too.” Nova said.

Flim walked up to the family with his brother. “Aw, too bad Apples.”

“Guess you’ll have to find a new line of work that doesn’t match your names quit so perfectly.” Flam said.

Flim looked the farm over. “Now should we tear down all these tacky buildings and put up new ones brother?”

Flam agreed. “I don’t see why not brother. After all, this isn’t Sweet Apple Acres anymore.” He made a new banner appear over the cider stand with a picture of them and a cup of cider. “How about Flim Flam Fields?”

Nova glared at the two.

Rainbow flew up. “I oughta press you into jerk cider.” She tried to fly at them but Applejack stopped her.

“No Rainbow Dash, a deals a deal.” Applejack said. The two brothers just started laughing. “Congratulations ya’ll. The cider business…” She hung her head. “Is yours. Come on Apples, let’s go pack our things.”

“Oh dear.” Cheerilee said from the crowd.

"Well this blows.” Vinyl said in annoyance.

Nova stomped a hoof. “That’s it, I can’t stand by and let this happen!”

“Nova, don’t. We had a deal.” Applejack said.

“So what!? You really think I’m going to just let you lose your home even though you made this deal?” Nova declared. He then jumped up on the stand to address the crowd. “Come on ponies, are we really going to just stand by and let this happen? The apple family is the whole reason there’s a Ponyville in the first place!”

“He’s right! It was the Apple family that founded Ponyville.” Cheerilee pointed out.

Nova continued. “Hasn’t the Apple Family been helpful to you all in some way or another?!” Nova cried out.

“Yeah, they have.” Golden Harvest said. “Big Macintosh has helped me with my cart when it broke down that one time, and Applejack gave me great farming advice with my carrots.”

“And they’re very good friends to every pony!” Derpy declared.

“Yeah, we can’t let these two clowns force our friends out of their home!” Vinyl declared.

“Applejack and her family don’t deserve this.” Octavia said.

“So what do you say Ponyville, are we going to let the Apple family lose their home like this?!” Nova called out.

“NO!” Every pony cheered. “Apple family, Apple Family, Apple Family!” They started chanting.

Applejack and her family watched in aw and grew smiles on their faces with a few tears forming.

Nova jumped down from the stand and the crowd closed in on Flim and Flam. “Guess your little scheme failed. No pony is going to buy any of your cider if you’re going to treat a friend of ours like this. So I suggest you take your cider making contraption and beat it, or I’ll take great pleasure in turning it into scrap metal.” Nova lit up his horn threateningly.

The Flim Flam brothers were sweating nervously and gulped. “What now brother? No pony will buy our cider.” Flim said.

“Next town?” Flam suggested.

“Next town.” They hopped on their cider making machine and drove off.

“And don’t come back!” Nova shouted.

“They’re gone, I can’t believe it.” Applejack said and looked over the crowd of ponies with a smile. “Thank you every pony, I can’t tell ya how much this means ta me.”

“We’re just glad you still have your home.” Octavia said.

“You deserve it.” Derpy said.

Applejack then turned to Nova. “And Nova, thank ya fer not givin up on me. I guess I shoulda known you wouldn’t let this go.”

“You bet your backside I wouldn’t. You’re my friend Applejack.” Nova said. “I’m not going to just sit by and let you lose your home over some stupid wager.”

“And guess what?” Apple Bloom announced. “Thanks ta this here contest, we got enough cider fer all of Ponyville!”

Every pony cheered at this. Nova removed Flim and Flam’s banner and got rid of it as every pony lined up to start paying for apple family cider. The barrels the Flim Flam brothers made were discovered to be no good at the end as it was full of leaves and twigs. So the whole lot was dumped.

Applejack came up to the mares that gave their voices to the crowd. “Girls, I just want ta thank ya’ll again fer standin up fer me like that.”

“Think nothing of it Applejack.” Octavia said.

“Yeah, we’re cool.” Vinyl said. “Every pony thinks you and your family is awesome. No way were we going to let you lose your home.”

“Besides, it’s what any good friend would do.” Golden Harvest said.

“And this cider your family made is very good.” Berry said happily as she took a swig from her cup.

After all the cider was sold off and every pony had some, Nova caught up with Applejack once every pony was gone and offered to help take care of the empty barrels to store for next time. “Applejack, there’s something I want to ask you.”

“Wha’ts up Nova?” Applejack said.

“So….every year, you and your family have been unable to make cider for every pony in Ponyville?” Nova asked.

“Well yeah, we try ta make enough every year but we just can’t do it.” Applejack said.

“What if…I made something that could help with that?” Nova suggested.

“What do ya mean?” Applejack gave Nova a curious look.

“I mean what if I made a machine similar to what Flim and Flam had but a smaller version and you could use only if you feel you and your family hadn’t made enough cider for every pony.”

“You could do that?”

“Well sure. I mean, I imagine it would be a big help to you and your family, wouldn’t it?”

“It sure would, that would mean more money fer us.”

“So what do you say? I won’t expect anything in return, and you would have to keep it hidden for now as it will be looking rather high tech but I’ll keep the design and operation simple.” Nova said.

Applejack thought a moment, then gave a smile. “Nova, I would really appreciate that. But again, I would feel more comfortable usin it if’n we fail again at makin enough cider fer every pony in Ponyville.”

“That’s fine Applejack, you can use it whenever you want. It might take a while for me to make it though, but it will definitely be ready before your next cider season.” Nova gave a determined look.

“Thanks partner, I’d really appreciate it.” Applejack said.

PreviousChapters Next