• Published 16th Sep 2013
  • 8,588 Views, 175 Comments

My Little Pony, Friendship is Out of This World - Robobrony



Two ponies from space come to Equestria to make a home for themselves.

  • ...
11
 175
 8,588

PreviousChapters Next
Nova And The Boaster

Nova And The Boaster

It took a few days of hard work, a lot of bits, and some technical knowhow, but Nova and Starburst managed to make the inside of their ship look like a house. “Well little brother, we did it. I’d say it looks just like a real home.”

“It sure does big brother, not bad.”

“Yep, and thanks to my techno know how, if need be, we can make the inside look like the ship again.”

“I’d say we deserve a reward for our hard work, wouldn’t you say Nova?” Starburst looked up at his brother with hopeful eyes.

Nova just chuckled at him. “He he, yes Starburst, I think that’s appropriate, come on, lets head into town and get something nice to eat and some refreshing drinks.”

“YAY!” Starburst cheered as he hopped up and down. The two brothers then left their home and headed into town.

As they walked along a path in town, two little unicorns suddenly ran past them with Spike hanging on to one of them, Twilight then ran past as well. “What the stars?” Nova commented.

“What’s their hurry?”

“I don’t know Starburst, but something is up, come on, let’s see what’s going on.” The two then ran and caught up with Twilight. “Twilight, what’s going on, why the rush?”

“Oh, hey Nova, hello Starburst, Snips and Snails says there’s a new unicorn in town and every pony seems to be making a big fuss about it.”

“Snips and Snails?” Starburst asked confusedly.

“The two little unicorns that ran by you with Spike.” Twilight informed.

They soon came to a large crowed of ponies gathered in front of a wooden carriage. Twilight, Starburst, and Nova made their way to the front of the crowd and met up with Spike and her friends. Starburst took this opportunity to introduce himself to the two unicorns. “Hey there, I’m Starburst.” He said happily.

“Oh, hey there, you’re one of the new ponies in town right? I’m snips, and this is my friend Snails.”

“Hello.” Snails said.

“Yeah, kinda, me and my brother got here a couple weeks ago.”

Before the conversation could continue, the carriage opened up into a stage and a voice rang out as fireworks and sparks shot off. “COME ONE, COME ALL, WITNESS THE AWESOME MAGIC OF THE GREAT AND POWERFUL TRRRRRIXIE!” In a puff of smoke, a unicorn appeared on the stage wearing a blue pointed hat and cape with stars on them. Every pony in the crowd gasped except Twilight and the others. “Watch and be amazed as the great and powerful Trixie performs spectacular magical feats ever witnessed by pony eyes!” She then stood up on her hind legs and spread out her forelegs as more fireworks went off.

“My my my, what boasting.” Rarity said.

“I’ll say, she just seems like a bragger to me.” Nova commented.

Spike then continued. “Come on, no pony is as magical as Twi….” Spikes eyes went wide for a moment once he saw it was Rarity next to him. “Twi…uh…*ahem* oh uh, hey Rarity, I uh……MUSTACHE!” Spike then just bolted off.

“What was that about?” Starburst asked.

Twilight then came up to them. “There’s nothing wrong with being talented is there?”

Applejack answered. “Nothin at all, cept when someone goes showin it off like some school filly with fancy new ribbons.”

Rarity agreed. “Just because one has the ability to perform lots of magic does not make one better than others.”

“No argument here, the way I see it, if you go around bragging about what you can do, then you most likely can’t do much at all and are just trying to make yourself sound better than you really are.” Nova said.

“Well said Nova.” Applejack complimented.

Rainbow Dash then cut in. “Yeah, besides, you got me around to be better than the rest of you.” Applejack glared at her, Rainbow then changed her tune. “Uh, I mean, magic shmagic, BOO!”

Trixie seemed to hear their conversation. “Well, well, well, it seems we have some neigh sayers in the house. Who is so arrogant as to challenge the magical ability of the great and powerful Trixie? Do they not know that they are in the presence of the most magical unicorn in all of Equestria?”

Starburst whispered to Nova. “Psst, big brother, why don’t you show her up, I know you got more magic than her, you could totally beat her.”

Nova whispered back. “Forget it Starburst, what if I stress my magic too much and my disguise falls, we’d be exposed.”

“Oh, right, never mind then.”

“Pffft, just who does she think she is?” Rarity said aloud.

Spike then popped up. “Yeah, since we all know Twilight here is….”

Twilight interrupted him. “Spike, Shhh.” Twilight then pushed him away and out of the crowd to speak with him privately.

Nova and Starburst got curious and followed. They just stood there and listened in. Spike started. “What? What’s wrong?”

“Did you see the way they reacted to Trixie, I don’t want them thinking I’m a show off.”

Nova then came in. “Twilight, they would never think that of you, they’re your friends.”

More fireworks suddenly went off, interrupting the conversation. Rainbow Dash then flew up and got in Trixie’s face. “So great and powerful Trixie, what makes you think your so awesome anyway?”

Trixie began. “Why, only Trixie has the magical talent to defeat the dreaded URSA MAJOR!” More fireworks went off, and a glowing outline of a large bear appeared, followed by an outline of Trixie.

“The dreaded what now?” Nova asked.

Trixie continued with her story. “When all hope was lost, the ponies of Hoofington had nowhere to turn to, but the great and powerful Trixie stepped in, and with her awesome magic, vanquished the dreaded ursa major and sent it fleeing back to it’s cave in the dreaded Everfree Forest.”

Snips and Snails came to the front of the stage. Snips started. “That settles it.”

Snails continued. “Trixie truly is the most talented, most magical, the most awesomest unicorn in Ponyville.”

Snips came in again. “NO, in all of Equestria.”

Spike disagreed. “How do you now, you weren’t there, and besides, Twi….” Before Spike could finish, Twilight used her magic to form a zipper and shut Spike’s mouth.

Trixie laughed. “Ha ha ha ha ha, it’s true my little enthusiastic admirers. Trixie is certainly the best in all of ponyville.” She said with a smug smile. No pony said anything as the area was filled with a silence. “Don’t believe the great and powerful Trixie, well then, I here-by challenge you Ponyvillians. Anything you can do, I can do better. Any takers, anyone, or is the great and powerful Trixie destined to be the greates equine who ever lived!” Still more fireworks shot off at her announcement.

Starburst was quietly pleading with Nova now. “Come on Nova, you just gotta do something, I can’t stand her bragging.”

“I’m sorry Starburst, but we can’t take the risk of being exposed. If they find out what we really are, we won’t be able to stay here, they’ll chase us off.”

“Hmm, how about……YOU!” Trixie pointed a hoof.

“Uh oh.” Nova said quietly. He thought Trixie was pointing right at him. Nova looked around and saw Twilight looking worried as well. Nova began to think he was mistaken at who Trixie was pointing at.

“How about it, is there anything you can do that the great and powerful Trixie can’t.”

Nova was still not sure if Trixie was talking to him or Twilight. “Well, I um.”

“How about it, little hayseed?”

Applejack was glaring at Trixie. “That’s it, I can’t take no more!” Applejack got up on the stage with Trixie and got out a rope from under her hat.

“You show her AJ!” Spike Cheered.

“Can yer fancy magic do this?” She started twirling a lasso around her legs with her tail, then moved it up to over her head, then to the side and jumped through it a couple times. She then whipped it out and lassoed an apple and brought right to her waiting mouth and ate it in one bit. The ponies cheered for Applejack. “Top that missy.” Applejack took a proud stance.

“Oh ye of little talent.” Trixie said as she levitated her hat off and revealed her horn. “Watch and be amazed at the magic of Trixie." She used her magic to manipulate Applejack’s rope, one end stated slowly wiggling in front of Applejack’s eyes. She was mesmerized by it’s movements and failed to notice the other end snake around her legs.

“Applejack, look out!”Starburst tried to warn, but it was too late.

The rope quickly wrapped itself around her legs and tied her up, flipping her on her back, then the end that kept her gaze grabbed an apple and stuffed it in her mouth. Applejack managed to get up and hopped off the stage.
Nova came over to her and undid the rope and took out the apple. “Aj, are you ok?”

“Yeah, I’m fine, thanks fer the help with the rope there.”

“That Trixie, that was a rotten move she pulled.” Starburst commented angrily.

Rainbow flew up to Trixie again. “There’s no need to go strutten around and showin off like that.”

Trixie just looked at her smugly. “Oh?”

“That’s my job.” Rainbow then shot off and flew right for a nearby windmill and flew around it, causing its blades to spin fast. She shot straight up into the air and burst through a few clouds, leaving holes behind. She struck a pose up in the air and flew back down the same path she did before, as she passed through the clouds, droplets of water followed her. She came to the windmill again and did the same as before with the water right behind her, she came to a sudden stop on the stage and let the water hit her in the back and spray around, this created a rainbow right over her head. “They don’t call me Rainbow and Dash for nothing.”

The crowd cheered. “When I get through with you, the only thing they’ll call you is loser.” Trixie then shot a stream of magic at the rainbow. It came to life and started spinning Rainbow around like a tornado.

“WHOOOOAAAHH!”

“HEY, that was uncalled for!” Nova declared.

Once Dash finally stopped spinning, she was lying on the ground. “I…think I’m gonna be sick.”

Nova came up to her and helped her up.

Trixie then announced to the audience. “Seems like any pony with a dash of good sense would think twice before tussling with the great and powerful Trixie.” She then made a storm cloud appear and shoot off a bolt of lightning right behind her, scaring her.

“Ok, that was REALLY uncalled for.” Nova commented. Nova was glaring at Trixie now.

“That jerk, just who does she think she is, come on Nova, isn’t there something you can do that won’t cause your disguise to fall to show her up?” Starburst asked quietly.

“Starburst, I can’t, we could be exposed.”

Starburst gave a defeated sigh. “Yeah, I guess you’re right.”

“What we need is another unicorn to challenge her, someone with some magic of her own.” Spike said as he nudged Twilight.

Rainbow agreed. “Yeah, a unicorn to show this unicorn who’s boss.”

Applejack also agreed. “A real unicorn to unicorn tussel.”

“Uh…” Twilight was about to say something, but then Rarity came in.

“Enough, enough all of you, I take your hint, but Rarity is above such nonsense. Applejack and Rainbow Dash may act like ruffians, but Rarity conducts herself with beauty and grace.”

Trixie taunted. “Ooh, what’s the matter, afraid to get a hair out of place in that rat’s nest you call a mane?”

Rarity narrowed her eyes. “Oh it….is…ON.” Rarity came up on the stage. “You may think your tuff with all your so called powers, but there is more to magic than your brutish ways. A unicorn needs to be more than just muscle.” Rarity then used her magic and started manipulating one of the curtains from the stage. “A unicorn needs to have style.” The curtain started swirling around her. Rarity was now wearing a beautiful dress with her mane styled up. “A unicorn needs to have grace and beauty.”

Trixie lit up her horn.

Spike started. “Rarity won’t let Trixie get the best of her, she’s strong, she beautiful, she’s…” His words were cut off from a flash.

Every pony gasped at what happened. Rarity started panicking. “QUICK, I NEED A MIRROR, what did she do to my hair, I know she did something to my hair!”

Twilight tried to assure her. “Nothing.”

Then Rainbow Dash. “It’s fine.”

Then Applejack. “It’s gorgeous.”

Spike and Starburst said together. “It’s green.” The girls and Nova glared at them. “What?” they said together again.

Rarity looked up at her mane with tears in her eyes. “Green hair! NOT GREEN HAIR!” She cried as she ran off stage and away. “Such an aweful, aweful color!”

“By the cosmos, I swear I’m tempted to just take the chance and show up that bragging unicorn and teach her not to mess with my friends.” Nova said quietly.

Spike started. “Well Twilight, I guess it’s up to you. Come on, show her what your made of.”

“What do you mean? I’m nothing special.”

“Yes you are, you’re better than her.”

“I’m not better than anyone.”

Trixie then interjected. “HAH, you think you’re better than the great and powerful Trixie, well come on then, show Trixie what you got, show us all.”

Nova had enough. “ALL RIGHT, THAT’S ENOUGH!” All pony eyes fell on him. “Look here miss I’m so great and powerful, you are nothing but a big blowhard!”

Trixie looked at him disgusted. “Excuse me, and just who are you to say such a thing?”

“My name is Nova, and I can’t stay quiet anymore, you are nothing more than a show off jerk.”

“How DARE you insult the great and powerful Trixie, if you think you’re so tough, then let’s see YOU best me. Come on, let’s see what you got.”

Nova glared at her. “I don’t have to prove anything to you, all I need to know is I’m as good with my magic as I need to be. I don’t have to prove if I’m better than you or not. The only thing YOU’VE proven is that your good at making others look foolish with your magic, you couldn’t duplicate what my friends did, you just turned their tricks against them and acted like a big bully. You are nothing more than a big fat show offy talentless jerk.”

“HOW DARE YOU, I DEMAND YOU GET UP HERE AND FACE ME IN A DUEL!”

“No, as I said, I don’t have to prove anything, and I’m not about to lower myself to your level of showing off. Come on Starburst, I think we’ve seen enough.”

Starburst proudly followed. “You got it big brother.” Starburst then turned his head as he walked and gave Trixie a raspberry.

“GET BACK HERE, THE GREAT AND POWERFUL TRIXIE DEMANDS YOU FACE ME SO I CAN PROVE YOU WRONG!” As Trixie yelled, the crowed started to disperse.

The girls caught up to him. “Wow Nova, I think you beat her without using your magic.” Rainbow said.

“Yeah, did you see the look on her face when you called her talentless, ha ha, priceless.” Applejack said.

“Wow Nova, you just stood up for us didn’t you?” Twilight said.

“Of course I did, you all are my friends. I’m not about to let some bragger make you all look foolish and not get away with it.” Nova said with a smile.

“But then, why didn’t you just show her up yourself, I’m sure you would have been able to really stick it to her with your magic, Pinkie told us about how you saved her from crashing on her flying cycle when Gilda showed up.” Rainbow said Gilda’s name with disgust.

Nova started nervously. “I….well….I never performed in front of a crowd before, I….could have gotten stage fright. Besides, I believe I just demonstrated that there is more than one way to stand up for your friends than trying to show a bragger up.”

“I’ll say.” Spike agreed.

“Still, I would have liked to see how you or Twilight could show up that Trixie.” Rainbow commented.

Twilight grew curious about this. “You….would?”

Applejack answered. “Well sure, we all know you got a lot o talent in ya.”

“And…you don’t mind?”

“Of course not.” Rainbow said. “your our friend, we don’t care how much talent you have.”

Nova then started. “Twilight, I’m getting the feeling here that you were afraid to show a part of yourself here. What’s going on?”

Twilight began to explain. “Well, when you all were saying all those things about Trixie, I thought that if you knew how good with magic I was, you wouldn’t like me.”

Nova started. “Twilight, having great abilities isn’t going to chase away friends, it’s how you act that can make or break friendship.”

“Really, so you all don’t care how good with magic I am?”

They all answered together. “Nope.”

Twilight smiled. “Hm, thanks girls, and thank you Nova, I think you just helped me learn a valuable lesson in friendship.”

“Yeah, and thanks fer standin up to Trixie like that fer us too.” Applejack thanked.

Nova responded with a smile. “Your welcome.”

Later that evening:

Nova and Starburst were now getting ready for bed. Nova let out a yawn. “*Yawn* good night Starburst, sleep well.”

“Good night Nova.” But before they even got a chance to lay their heads down, their whole ship was suddenly shaken with a loud booming.

“What the quasars was that?!” Nova asked as he sat up. Another shake occurred.

“Nova, what’s going on?” Starburst asked with fear.

Nova hopped out of bed as another shake occurred. “Ok, what in the name of the cosmos is going on here? Starburst, come on, we need to check this out.”

Starburst answered with nervousness. “Um…ok.” He then got out of bed and the two headed outside. As soon as they did, they saw a giant bear looking like it was made out of stars.

Nova was stunned. “Great galaxies…..what is that thing?”

Starburst was shaking with fear as he looked at it. “Nova, wh-what is that, why is it attacking the town?”

“I don’t know, but I’m going to find out. Starburst, you stay here and wait inside the ship.”

Starburst looked at him worriedly. “But Nova, we…we’ve never been apart before, can’t I go with you, I promise to do whatever you say.”

“Starburst, this is dangerous, I’m not about to take you into a dangerous situation. I know this may be hard, but I have to try and do something to help, now just stay here, I promise I’ll come back. Don’t let anyone else inside, understand.”

Starburst gave a weak nod. “Ok, I’ll stay here, but please hurry back.”

Nova gave a nod and a smile. He then rushed into town. “Mighty cosmos, grant me strength.” Nova said to himself as he ran.

He rushed around town trying to get to the thing to do who knows what to try and get the bear thing gone. He managed to catch up to it just in time to see it had Trixie and the two little unicorns from earlier today cornered. It gave a roar after Trixie tried to shock it with a lightning bolt on it’s but.

It reared up and was about to slam it’s paws on them, but Nova quickly rushed over and put up a barrier in front of him. Trixie had her eyes closed when she saw the thing rear up. The bear came down and slammed against Nova’s shield, he grunted when it did. He looked at Trixie with one eye as she was now staring at him. “Wh-what are you waiting for, get those two out of here now!”

Trixie narrowed her eyes at him. “I-I don’t need your help,Trixie was doing just fine on her own.”

The bear slammed down again, causing Nova to grunt again. “Yeah, I could tell, this is no time for stubborn pride, now get those two out of here or you’re all bear chow!”

Snips started with fear. “Uh, miss Trixie, maybe we should….”

Trixie cut him off. “FINE, but don’t think I’ve forgotten what you said.” She then led the two away as Nova did his best to hold it off.

The bear slammed down again and caused Nova’s shield to break. He fell to the ground in exhaustion, because of his struggling, his disguise fell and his whole form was visible.


The bear loomed over Nova, it lowered its head and snarled. It opened its mouth to roar but stopped when a soft melody started floating in the air. The bear raised its head and started looking sleepy. Nova just looked on in confusion from the ground. He was unable to move from exhaustion.

He couldn’t even put his disguise back up. “NOVA!” Starburst’s voice cried out.

Nova looked behind the bear and saw Starburst standing there. “Starburst, what are you doing here!?” He called.

Starburst rushed over to his brother. “Brother, your disguise, you have to get it up.”

“I can’t, I’m too weak from keeping that bear thing from squashing me.” The bear wobbled and started to fall, it was going to fall right on them. They winced and waited for the thing to fall on them, but it never came. They looked to see its form surrounded by a purple aura.

Starburst took the opportunity to think fast. “I know, I can put your disguise on.”

“No Starburst, that won’t work, if you try, you’ll lose your disguise.”

“Well….maybe we could….” Starburst looked around as the bear stated floating away. “I know, come on, we’ll hide behind those boxes.” Starburst pointed out a pile of boxes stacked up nearby. Nova slowly stood up on all fours and made his way to the pile of boxes. Starburst trying to push him along to hurry him. “Come on Nova, hurry.” The two finally got behind the boxes and waited there.

They heard cheering and peeked out to see what was going on. They saw Twilight looking exhausted as the ponies cheered for her. They then heard Rainbow speak up. “Oh man, that was awesome Twilight.”

Applejack agreed. “I’ll say, you sure showed that ursa major what fer. We knew you had ability, but not that much.”

“Thanks girls, I’m glad you don’t mind my magic.” Twilight said.

“Well of course not dear, why would we?” Rarity asked.

Applejack continued. “yer magic is a part of who ya are, and we like who ya are.”

“Wow Twilight, that was amazing, how did you know what to do with that ursa major?”

Twilight answered. “That’s what I was doing when you came looking for me, I was so compelled by Trixie’s bragging, I decided to do a little research on them.”

“So it IS possible to defeat a rampaging ursa major all by yourself?” Spike asked.

“That wasn’t an ursa major, that was a baby, an ursa minor.”

“That was just a baby?” Trixie asked surprised.

“And it wasn’t rampaging, it was just cranky cause someone woke it up.” Twilight said as she and the other’s glared at Snips and Snails. The two gave nervous smiles as they cringed.

“THOSE two broght that thing to town, I can’t BELEIVE it, how dumb do you have to be to lead a dangerous creature like that right to town on purpose?” Nova said quietly.

Spike started to wonder. “Well, if that was an ursa minor, what’s an ursa major like?”

“You don’t want to know.” Twilight answered.

“I don’t think I want to know either.” Starburst said in a whisper.

Trixie then walked up to Twilight. “HUH, you may have stopped the ursa, but you will never have the amazing, show stopping ability of the great and powerful TRIXIE!” She then made a puff of smoke and galloped off.

Rainbow was about to go after her. “Why that little…..”

Twilight stopped her. “Just let her go, maybe one day she’ll learn her lesson.” Twilight caught Snips and Snails as they tried to sneak away. “Now, about you two.”

Snips laughed nervously. “Ah he he, we’re sorry we brought the ursa to town.”

Snails continued. “Yeah, we just wanted to see some awesome magic.”

“And we did, the way you defeated that ursa was awesome! And how that other unicorn protected us from it.”

The girls grew curious at that. Twilight started. “Other unicorn?”

“Yeah, that green one with the orange and yellow mane.” Snails informed.

Applejack then started. “That musta been Nova, where is he? Is he ok?”

Snips answered. “We don’t know, he just told Trixie to get us away and we left, last we saw, he was keeping up this big magical shield up to keep the ursa away.”

Nova decided now would be the perfect time to see if he could put his pony disguise back on. He focused his magic and managed to get it up.

Rainbow got worried too. “We gotta find him.”

Nova and Starburst came out from their hiding spot. “No need girls, I’m right here, I’m ok.”

“NOVA!” The girls cheered.

Snips started. “Yeah, that’s him, he saved us and Trixie from the ursa.”

“Glad ta see yer still in one piece there partner.” Applejack said with a smile.

“Thanks.” Nova said.

“Now then, as for you two.” Twilight said as she looked at Snips and Snails.

They crouched down, Snails spoke. “We deserve whatever punishment you give us.”

“For starters, you can clean up this mess.” Twilight motioned to Trixie’s smashed carriage. “And, what do you think Spike, should I give them number twenty five?” She said slyly.

Spike rubbed his claws together. “Oh yes, number twenty five, and I think I deserve it too.”

Snips and Snails looked at each other with confusion. As did Nova and Starburst. Twilight focused her magic and a purple aura appeared on Spike's, Snips’s, and Snails’s face. Mustaches appeared on each of their faces. “Sweeeeet!” all three said in unison.

The two brothers weren’t sure what to make of that, how was that supposed to be a punishment if they liked it? Nova just shrugged it off. “Well, now that this little mess has been resolved, me and Starburst are going back home now, we’ll see you all tomorrow."

“Good night you two.” Twilight said with a smile.

Applejack said her goodbye as well. “See ya’ll in the morning.”

Then Rainbow Dash. “Later dudes.”

During their walk back, they had a conversation. Nova started. “I am REALLY getting sick and tired of these close calls.”

“What are you gonna do about it?”

“I don’t know Starburst, but I better think of something soon, if not, it may only be a matter of time before our cover is blown.”

“Don’t worry Nova, you’ll think of something, you’re the smartest, bestest, best big brother in the universe.”

Nova smiled at Starburst. “Thanks Starburst, but don’t think I forgot about how you went against my orders for you to stay in the ship.”

“Awwwee.”

PreviousChapters Next