• Published 16th Sep 2013
  • 8,604 Views, 175 Comments

My Little Pony, Friendship is Out of This World - Robobrony



Two ponies from space come to Equestria to make a home for themselves.

  • ...
11
 175
 8,604

PreviousChapters Next
The New Pet in Town

The New Pet in Town

It was another beautiful Saturday as Nova and Starburst made their way through the park to enjoy the day. “Beautiful day isn’t it big brother?” Starburst asked.

“It sure is, the sky is clear, the sun is shining bright, it’s nice and warm out, I can’t think of a more perfect day.” Nova said.

“So what are we gonna do? Hide and seek? Skip rocks? Feed some animals?” Starburst asked.

“Well we didn’t exactly bring anything to play a game with, but I’m sure we can find something.”

The two walked up over a hill when they spotted some animals around a tree Rainbow Dash was in with a cat. Nova recognized the animals as the pets his friends had.

“What’s going on over there?” Starburst asked.

It was then the girls came over from another hill and approached the tree to gather their pets. Once the other animals were away from the tree, Rarity came over to get Opal. The cat climbed down and jumped onto Rarity’s back. Rainbow flew down and landed in front of Rarity. “Sincerest apologies, Rainbow Dash, if our pets were bothering you. Say you’re sorry Opal.” Opal turned and hissed angrily. Rarity gave a smile. “She’s sorry.”

“What are you all doing out here?” Rainbow Dash asked.

“I was about to ask the same thing.” Nova said on approach. “Hey girls, what’s going on?”

“Hey Nova.” Rainbow greeted.

“Hello dear, so good to see you.” Rarity greeted.

“Howdy Nova, Starburst.” Applejack greeted.

“Hello you two.” Fluttershy greeted.

“Hi Nova and Starburst.” Pinkie Pie said as she waved a hoof.

“Hello Nova, hello Starburst, how are you two today?” Twilight said as she trotted over to him, Starburst, and Rainbow Dash.

“We’re fine thanks.” Starburst answered.

“So like Rainbow was asking, what have you all got going on that you have your pets here together?” Nova asked.

“We always round up our critters fer a pony pet playdate in this park.” Applejack informed as she tossed a stick with her tail for Winona.

“Uh, you do?” Rainbow asked.

“Same time every week.” Applejack said.

“I thought you knew, you didn’t know? They didn’t know?” Fluttershy asked.

Twilight looked to the three with a nervous smile. “Well we had initially planned on inviting you three of course except….”

Pinkie Pie cut her off. “We were totally going to invite you three, but then Twilight remembered that you don’t even have pets, then Rarity remembered that Rainbow dash liked to take naps in the afternoon, Applejack figured you wouldn’t be missing out on anything anyway, then Fluttershy and I nodded our heads in agreement.” Pinkie nodded her head and Fluttershy’s at the same time.

Pinkie soon let go but Fluttershy’s head was still going. “Oh, please don’t be mad at us.”

“Pet?” Nova said with a curious expression. He put a hoof to his chin in thought.

“I’m not mad, you all are right, no point in a pony pet play date if I’m a pony without a pet.” Rainbow said.

“Pet….pet…..*GASP*” Nova gasped. He had a shocked look on his face, as did Starburst. Both kept their eyes forward. “Um, Starburst, are you thinking what I’m thinking?”

“I think so.” Starburst responded. They both looked to each other and cried out. “WE FORGOT ABOUT ZIPPY!”

This got the girls attention and looked at them curiously. “Zippy? Who’s Zippy?” Twilight asked.

The two brothers instead took off for home without answering. “Boys, wait, what’s wrong?” Applejack asked with worry.

“Come on girls, something’s wrong.” Twilight declared. She led the others to follow Nova and Starburst with their pets.

“Oh, how could I forget about Zippy?” Nova asked.

“Don’t blame yourself big brother, I forgot too.” Starburst said as the two galloped for home.

They soon reached home and nearly burst through the door. The girls followed the two into their home. Nova and starburst went to their bedroom and Nova came up to his bed. He placed his hoof on the foot of the bed where a blue light scanned Nova’s hoof. A capsule slid out from the foot of the bed with a glass covering and white lights inside lining the sides. Inside the capsule was a creature with long pink fur, pointed ears, bat like wings, an elongated snout, and four legs, each also covered in fur down to the feet that were rounded at the toes. Each foot had three toes. It also had a pair of antennae with pink puff balls at the end. The antennae themselves were long black and thin. It also had a long tail covered in the pink fluffy fur that rounded out at the end.

Nova and Starburst sighed in relief upon seeing the creature. “Oh good, he’s okay.” Starburst said.

“I think it’s about time we wake him up.” Nova said. “He’s going to be pretty surprised at our new home.”

“Nova, what’s going on?” Twilight asked from the bedroom door. The other’s stood behind her.

Nova looked back. “Sorry for the scare girls, we just realized we forgot about something. Hang on.” Nova turned back to the capsule and pressed a few buttons on the side. The Capsule hissed as it sprang open a little, then opened fully. The creature slowly opened its eyes and looked up at Nova and Starburst. It gave a yawn as it stretched out its front legs. Its eyes were green and had slit irises. After its yawn, it seemed to smile and got out of the capsule, then flew up and hovered in front of Nova. “Hey there Zippy, good morning.”

Zippy made a few small roars to Nova.

“Zippy!” Starburst called out. Zippy flew down to him and wrapped its front legs in a hug. “Hey there buddy, sorry we didn’t wake you sooner.”

Zippy made a few more little roars out.

“Um, Nova, what is that thing?” Rainbow asked.

Nova looked back at the girls. “Everypony, in the living room please so I can introduce you all.” The girls looked at each other curiously and made their way to the living room.

“Come on Zippy, let’s introduce you to our new friends.” Starburst said. Nova and Starburst made their way to the living room with the creature they called Zippy.

“Okay girls, sorry again about the scare, it’s just all the talk about pets made me remember this little guy.” Nova motioned to Zippy as he hovered over-head.

“What is it, I’ve never seen anything like that before.” Twilight asked.

“That’s because he’s from the same planet me and Starburst are from. His name is Zippy, he’s called a fluffle sprite.” Nova informed.

“Ooohh, he’s so cute.” Fluttershy cooed. She flew up to meet Zippy. “Hello there little guy, I’m fluttershy.”

Zippy squeaked out and started flying quickly around Fluttershy’s head.

Starburst giggled. “Heh heh, he likes you already.”

“Wow, he sure is fluffy.” Pinkie said happily. Zippy flew down in front of her and eyed her. “Hi there, I’m Pinkie pie. It’s nice to meet you.” Zippy looked surprised first, then suddenly dove into Pinkie’s fluffy mane. He poked his head out. Pinkie giggled with snorts. “He ha hah *Snort*”

“Look at that, he likes you already too.” Nova pointed out.

“Hey Zippy, let’s show them your neat trick.” Starburst said. Zippy flew out of Pinkie’s mane and landed in front of Starburst. “Watch this everypony. Okay Zippy, ready?” Zippy nodded, looking determined. “Aaaaand, purple!” Starburst called out. Zippy suddenly changed color to what Starburst called out. “Green!” He changed color again to green. “Now blue!” Zippy changed to blue. “Good boy Zippy.” Zippy changed back to pink and came up to Starburst for a well-deserved petting.

“Good heavens.” Rarity said. “That is certainly an interesting trick.”

“I’ll say, that was neat.” Pinkie added.

“It’s an ability fluffle sprites have that was added in they’re creation. Zippy can change his color to anything to blend in with his surroundings to hide. He is a genetically engineered pet. Zippy was one of many of his kind.” The girls gave him a confused look, except Pinkie who still wore a smile. Nova noticed this. “Sorry, let’s see. Genetically engineered means he, and others like him, were made by the scientists of our race, they aren’t natural like the animals on this world that have been here all along. The fluffle Sprite was made to be like the perfect pet. Smart so it’s easy to train, you can feed him just about anything so you don’t have to worry too much about him going hungry, the look was made to be cute and appealing, and loyal to their owner.”

“Plus, the color change thing makes him great at hide and seek, he can pretty much disappear from sight when blending in with something. Watch this. Zippy, get on me and change color to hide.” Zippy flew up and landed on Starburst’s back. He then changed his color to green to match Starburst’s coat and, just like that, he seemed to vanish. It just looked like Starburst had a lump on his back instead of a green furry creature. “Pretty stellar huh?”

“That’s amazing.” Twilight said. “But, what are you going to tell other ponies if they see Zippy? There’s nothing like him on our world.” She pointed out.

“Ooooh, good point.” Nova seemed to get a little worried.

“Um, perhaps you could say he’s a new species you found. When you were trying to hide the fact you were an alien from us, you said you did some traveling. You could say you found him during that.” Fluttershy offered. “If you want to that is.”

Nova smiled. “Fluttershy, you are a genius. That’s perfect, thanks.”

Fluttershy smiled. “You’re welcome.”

Introductions continued as they introduced Zippy to the other animals. When it came to Gummy, Zippy stood in front of Gummy and copied his spaced out look with the eyes facing opposite directions. Gummy let out a small growl. Zippy did the same.

Pinkie giggled. “Heh heh ha, I think they like each other.”

“Okay, so girls, let’s get back to the park and have that pony pet play date thing. I’m sure Zippy wants to get a good look at our new home.” Nova said.

“Okay, let’s head back to the park.” Twilight agreed. They all headed back to the park and Rainbow retook her position in the tree as she tried to get some sleep. “Well Zippy, what do ya think of our new home?” Starburst asked. Zippy had a smile and gave a small roar of approval. “I thought you’d like it.” They all continued to play around the field for a bit when Rainbow suddenly came back down from the tree.

“Hey, now wait a minute, just because I don’t have a pet now, doesn’t mean I never want a pet.” Rainbow declared.

Fluttershy suddenly turned around with a big smile. “Oh, really, you really want a pet?” She asked as she hovered around Dash with Angel sitting on her tail. “Because I have so many wonderful choices at my house.” She picked Dash up by wrapping her forelegs under Dash’s and started dragging her away. “And I just know you’ll love them, and they’ll love you.” Rainbow noticed her back legs dragging so she started flapping her wings to help lift herself up more with an unamused look.

“Come on Nova, I want to see what kind of pet Dash gets.” Starburst said.

“Really? Okay, if you want. Come on Zippy, let’s go.” Nova called. Zippy flew over and hovered around Nova. “We’ll see you girls later.” Nova and Starburst left the area and followed Dash and Fluttershy to Fluttershy’s place. They soon arrived and the two brothers were treated to a song.

Fluttershy: Now Rainbow my dear I cannot express my delight.
It's abundantly clear
That somewhere out here
is a pet that will suit you just right.

Rainbow Dash: I can't wait to get started, but first let me set a few rules
It's of utmost importance
The pet that I get
Is something that's awesome and cool

Fluttershy: Awesome and cool, got it!
I have so many wonderful choices, just wait, you will see

Rainbow Dash: I need something real fast like a bullet to keep up with me

Fluttershy: Sure! How 'bout a bunny?
They're cutesy and wootsie and quick as can be

Rainbow Dash: Cutesy, wootsie? Have you even met me?

Fluttershy: Rainbow, have faith
You see, I will bet you
Somewhere in here is the pet that will get you
Come on, the sky's the limit!

Rainbow Dash: Sky is good. I'd like it to fly.

Fluttershy: Really? Because I think this widdle puddy tat has your name written all over it. Yes, he does. Aww, look, he likes you!

Rainbow Dash: Pass.

Fluttershy: I have so many wonderful choices for you to decide
There are otters and seals
With massive appeal

Rainbow Dash: Otters and seals do not fly.

Fluttershy: Maybe not, but I've seen this particular seal catch ten feet of air when he breaches the water!

Rainbow Dash: That's it. I'm outta here.

Fluttershy: Wait! There must be a pet here
That will fit the ticket
How 'bout a ladybug, or a cute cricket?

Rainbow Dash: Bigger. And cooler.

Fluttershy: Bigger, cooler. Right.
I've got just the thing in that tree, Dash
Meet your new fabulous pet, Squirrely

Rainbow Dash: It's just a squirrel.

Fluttershy: Not just any squirrel. A flying squirrel!

Rainbow Dash: ...Yeah. So, like I was saying...
Fluttershy, pal, this won't cut it
I need a pet to keep up with me
Something awesome, something flying
With coolness that defies gravity!

Fluttershy: I'm sensing you want an animal that can fly.

Rainbow Dash: Ya think?

Starburst couldn’t help but giggle at dash’s comment.

Fluttershy: I have plenty of wonderful creatures who soar in the sky
Like a sweet hummingbird or a giant monarch butterfly

Rainbow Dash: Better, but cooler.

Fluttershy: I see. How 'bout an owl, or a wasp, or a toucan?
There's so many wonderful creatures the likes of that
There are falcons and eagles
They are both quite regal
Or perhaps what you need is a dark and mysterious bat?

Rainbow Dash: Now you're talking. But instead of just one standout, now that's too many.
So many choices, and such riches aplenty

Fluttershy: Not a bad problem to have, if you ask me.

Rainbow Dash: The bat would be awesome, but the wasp I'm digging too
Do you have something in a yellow striped bat?

Fluttershy: No.
I've got a hot pink flamingo, just dying to meet you

Rainbow Dash: What to do, what to do? *gasp*
A prize! That's it! There's really just one way
To find out which animal's best
Hold a contest of speed, agility, and guts
That will put each pet to the test

Fluttershy: Don't forget style, that should be considered

Rainbow Dash: Then we'll know for sure who's best of the litter

Fluttershy: The one who is awesome as cool

Rainbow Dash: Just like me
Can't settle for less, 'cause I'm the best

Both: So a contest we will see

Rainbow Dash: Who's the number one, greatest, perfectest pet

Both: In the world for me!

Fluttershy: May the games

Both: Begin~!

Rainbow Dash: And may the best pet win!

Starburst was clapping his hooves. “Wow, that was great, do it again.”

Nova chuckled. “I’ll admit, that song was pretty good.” He then walked up to the two. “But Dash, a contest to see which animal is best? That’s not what having a pet is about.”

“Hey, if I’m going to get a pet, it has to be as cool as I am, and a contest is the only way to find out which one fits me.” Dash retorted.

Nova could tell she wasn’t about to let this go. He dropped the subject. It was then he noticed Derpy coming out of Fluttershy’s chicken coop. “Derpy?” He asked. The others looked over and saw Derpy. Nova walked over to her. “Derpy, what are you doing in Fluttershy’s chicken coop?”

“Hey Nova.” Derpy greeted with a smile. “Fluttershy lets me get eggs fresh from her coop. I really like it when their fresh from the chicken coop.”

“I see.” Nova stated.

“She really does like eggs.”Fluttershy stated as she walked over. “Did you find any good ones Derpy?” Fluttershy asked.

Derpy presented a basket she was holding with a wing that was full of eggs. “Sure did.”

“Hey Derpy, check out our pet.” Starburst said as he ran over with Zippy.

“Hey there Starburst. Wow, what is that?” Derpy asked with a smile.

“His names Zippy, he’s called a fluffle sprite.” Starburst explained.

“A what now?” Derpy asked.

Nova explained. “He’s a creature that came from my old planet. He’s a…..pony created pet.”

“Created?” Derpy asked again, still confused.

“It’s kinda hard to explain in a way you’d understand.” Nova said.

“If you say so.” Derpy said with a shrug.

“Hey Nova, we should go tell mom and dad we still have Zippy.” Starburst suggested.

“Good idea Starburst.” Nova said. “Well Dash, good luck with your pet selection. Me and Starburst are going to see our folks for a bit.”

“All right then, but you’ll be missing out on a great competition.” Dash retorted.

“Nova, can I come too? I’d like to see your parents again.” Derpy asked.

“Sure, you can come along.” Nova said as he waved a hoof for her to follow. “Bye Fluttershy, Rainbow Dash, see ya later.”

“Bye you two.” Fluttershy waved back.

“See ya.” Rainbow said as she waved a hoof too.

“So Nova, can your pet do anything interesting?” Derpy asked.

“He sure can.” Starburst answered. “Watch this. Zippy, hide.”

Zippy quickly flew over to a tree and clung to it. He changed his color to match the bark of the tree and seemed to dissapear.
“Whoa, neat trick.” Derpy stated with a smile.

“Good job Zippy, come on back.” Starburst called. Zippy reappeared and flew along with Nova and Starburst.

Along the way, they came across Vinyl and Octavia who were sitting at a table with some drinks. “Yo Nova, what’s up dude.” Vinyl called upon seeing them.

The three stopped in their tracks. “Oh, hey Vinyl, hello Octavia.” Nova greeted.

“Hi you two.” Derpy greeted the two with a smile.

“Hello Derpy, Nova.” Octavia greeted.

“What’s up?” Vinyl asked.

“Not much, me, Derpy and Starburst were on our way to my folk’s house.” Nova informed.

It was then Zippy flew up to the two with a smile. He flew around their heads and back to Nova. “Whoa, what is that?” Vinyl asked with a smile.

“Oh my, what a charming creature.” Octavia commented.

“This is Zippy, he’s a fluffle Sprite.” Nova informed.

“Never heard of a fluffle sprite before.” Vinyl said.

It was then Nova had a thought. “Say, I don’t suppose you two would want to come along to see my folks would you?

There’s….something I want to share with you.”

Starburst smiled up at Nova as if he knew what Nova was planning on doing.

“I suppose so, we don’t really have anything else going on.” Octavia informed.

“Sure, why not?” Vinyl added.

“Great, let’s get going then.” Nova said.

As they walked, Derpy came up to Nova and spoke in a whisper. “Nova, are you going to tell them your secret?”

“They have been just as good a friend as you have Derpy, so I think it will be all right.” Nova whispered back.

“If you’re sure.” Derpy stated.

They soon reached the home of Cosmos and Starla. Nova knocked on the door and was greeted by his parents in their pony disguises. “Nova dear, hello, what a pleasant surprise.” Starla greeted with a smile.

“Hey mom, hi dad, I brought some friends over. Hope you don’t mind.” Nova said.

“Of course not son, you all come on in.” Cosmos said as the two stepped aside to let every pony in. They had managed to make the inside of their home look like the inside of a normal home as well. Greetings were exchange before Starla and Cosmos finally took notice of Zippy. “Zippy? I don’t believe it.” Starla said. Zippy flew over to her, landed in front of her and looked at her curiously.
Before things went further with that, Nova got his parents attention. “Mom, dad, I need to speak with you for a moment.

“Dear, why didn’t you tell us you had Zippy?” Starla asked.

“I’ll explain that later, please.” Nova said. “You girls don’t mind waiting here do you?” Nova asked the three mares that came with him.

They all sounded off in agreement.

Starburst stayed with them while Starla and Cosmos lead Nova to their bedroom. “All right then son, what is going on?” Cosmos asked once they were in the bedroom.

“Dad, mom, I never told you this, but Derpy also knows that we’re aliens, and I was wanting to let Octavia and Vinyl in on it as well.” Nova informed.

“Really?” Starla asked. “Are you sure?”

Nova gave a reassuring smile. “Trust me mom, it’ll be fine. My friends accepted me when they found out we were aliens, Derpy did too. I feel confident the same will be with them.”

“All right Nova, if you’re sure about this.” Cosmos said.

Nova started to head back to the living room with his parents in tow. He came out to see Starburst having fun with Zippy and Vinyl. He smiled at the scene. “Excuse me every pony.” All eyes turned to Nova. “Okay, Vinyl, Octavia, there’s something I want to tell you two, but you have to promise not to tell anypony about it.”

“Ooh, does Nova have a secret?” Vinyl asked jokingly. “No worries dude, I can keep a secret. What’s up?”

“Well, this is rather odd, but if you wish to share a secret with us, I see why we can’t make a promise like that. I promise not to tell anypony.” Octavia said.

“Hold on, what about Derpy?” Vinyl asked.

“Derpy already knows what I’m about to share with you two.” Nova stated. He took a moment before beginning. “You see, me and my family are….not of this planet.”

Octavia cocked an eyebrow and Vinyl lifted her sunglasses up over her horn. “Excuse me?” Vinyl asked. “What do you mean not of this planet?”

“We’re aliens Vinyl.” Starburst said with a smile. It was then he deactivated his disguise first. “See, aliens. Pretty cool huh?” He asked.

Octavia and Vinyl had their mouths hanging open as they gazed at Starburst. They both then slowly turned their heads to Nova. He and his parents then deactivated their disguises to reveal their alien forms. “Whoa.” Vinyl finally let out.

“Oh my.” Octavia said with shock.

“Now girls, you promised not to say anything, remember?” Derpy said.

Vinyl gave a big grin. “No way! For real? This is so cool.” She stated.

“Good heavens, you really are aliens.” Octavia said.

“That’s right, and I’m trusting you two not to tell anypony without my permission, understood?” Nova said.

“Dude, this is incredible, you just gotta let every pony know.” Vinyl said with a flair of a hoof.

“Viny, no! I don’t know how everypony will react if I let it out in front of everypony. I’m taking this slow and only letting those I trust in on this secret.” Nova said firmly. “I’m just afraid that everypony will freak out and chase us away. Please Vinyl, you promised not to say anything.”

Vinyl’s grin dissapeared. “All right Nova, I won’t say anything.” She finally relented. The alien family gave out a sigh of relief, except for Starburst.

“Nova, you said you’re only telling those you trust. So you really feel we’re close enough friends to tell us this?” Octavia asked.

“I do.” Nova stated.

“To be honest, we don’t really like this hiding we have to do.” Starla said.

“It really would be so much easier if others did know of the fact we aren’t from the same planet, but we don’t want to take any chances of having to be chased away.” Cosmos said.

“Don’t worry sir, you can count on us.” Derpy said with a salute.

Starburst chuckled at Derpy’s display. “Thank you girls, I really appreciate this.” Nova said with a smile.

After all was said and done, the group stuck together in the house to get to know each other better and got re-acquainted with Zippy.

Later on, Starburst spoke up with an idea. “Oh, mom, dad, I just had a great idea.”

“Yes Starburst, what is it?” Starla asked.

“Zippy may be mine and Nova’s pet, but you guys can get a pet of your own if you want. Fluttershy has all kinds of animals to choose from.” Starburst said with a hop.

“Really? Well, that does sound like a good idea.” Cosmos said with a smile.

“Well then, sounds like you guys have a plan.” Vinyl said. “I need to get going now, but I’ll see you all around. Later little green dude.” Vinyl ruffled Starburst’s fin playfully before leaving. Starburst gave a little laugh.

“I’m afraid I must go as well, it was nice spending time with you all.” Octavia said. “And don’t worry, I will keep my promise.”

“Same here.” Vinyl added.

“Me too, and I need to go too. It was nice hanging out with you all.” Derpy said as she got ready to leave. “Bye Nova, bye Starburst, bye Cosmos and Starla.”

“Bye girls, don’t be shy now and feel free to visit whenever you want.” Starla said with a wave of her hoof.

Once the three mares were gone, Nova and Starburst decided to lead his family out to find Fluttershy and help set them up with a pet as well. “So mom, dad, you ready to get a pet?”

“Sure thing Nova, lead the way.” Cosmos said. He then put up his pony disguise along with the rest of the family.

They walked about town with Zippy and soon found the girls gathered in front of town hall watching Rainbow Dash and some animals putting on a show of some kind. Each animal was doing something different for Rainbow Dash. They reached the group just after a tortoise tried to perform what looked like would have been an amazing stunt that would start with a mump. Unfortunatly, when he tried to jump, he landed on his back and struggled to stand back up as the curtain came down.

Nova was the first to greet them. “Hey girls, what’s going on?”

“Hello Nova, Rainbow Dash’s contest to find the perfect pet is still going on.” Twilight informed. Once she and the others realized Nova’s family was with him, more greetings were exchanged.

Nova noticed Fluttershy wasn’t with them. “So where’s Fluttershy?”

“She’s helpin a turtle….”

“Tortoise.” Pinkie corrected, interupting Applejack.

“Tortoise convince Dash to give him a chance.” Applejack finished.

Nova looked over to see Rainbow Dash standing in front of a tortoise on its back. “Look turtle.”

Fluttershy poked her head out from behind the curtain of the stage. “Tortoise.” She corrected.

Rainbow continued. “Whatever, you’ve had your fun, but I think we both know who made the cut, and who didn’t.” The tortoise stared at her from his position. “You didn’t.” She pointed up to the sky at four animals, an owl, a bat, a falcon, and an eagle. The girls cheered for the animals. “I mean, A for effort for everything, you gave it your best shot. Maybe I got a gold star or something I can give you. But seriously, go home, your starting to creep me out.”

“Awe, poor tortoise.” Starburst said. “I’d take him if we didn’t have a pet already.”

“I see Dash is still on the whole ‘finding an awesome pet’ thing.” Nova commented.

“What do you mean Nova?” Starla asked.

Nova then explained how Dash was holding some contest to find a pet that matches her ‘awesomness’.

“Sounds like she doesn’t know the point of having a pet in the first place.” Cosmos stated.

“Anyway.” Dash said which brought attention back to her. She was now standing in front of the birds and bat now. “Your all outstanding competitors. But there can only be one of you that’s number one. So the final tie breaking contest is going to be…” She paused a moment. “A race against me! Through Gastly Gorge.”

“Gastly Gorge?” Starburst asked.

“Correct me if I’m wrong, but isn’t Gastly Gorge that really dangerous ravine I’ve heard about?” Nova asked the girls with him.

“Your right, it is.” Pinkie stated.

“Don’t worry Nova, it’s not that dangerous.” Twilight said.

“Excuse me, but what’s Gastly Gorge?” Starla asked.

Nova began to explain. “It’s this ravine nearby with a bunch of hazards from what I hear. Not exactly the ideal place for a casual flight. Come on, let’s see Fluttershy about getting you two a pet.” Nova led his parents and Starburst up to Fluttershy. “Excuse me Fluttershy.”

“Hello Nova, hello Nova’s parents.” Fluttershy greeted.

“Fluttershy, mom and dad want a pet of their own.” Starburst informed. “We figured you could help.”

“Really? That’s nice, but….it may have to wait until after the race, I want to make sure my animal friends will be okay.” Fluttershy said as she started to flutter off with Dash and the animals to Gastly Gorge. The others soon followed as well.

“Well, guess we got a race to watch.” Nova said as he and his family started to follow as well.

They soon reached their destination and the animals Dash had competing stood before her. Even the tortoise was there. Fluttershy wanted to let him try again.

“Actually, Gastly Gorge isn’t scary, it’s fun. I’ve flown through it a million times myself so I’ll obviously be at the front of the pack.” Dash said, she then started doing some stretches and exercises. “Whichever one of you crosses the finish line with me will have proven you can keep up with me, and have earned the honor and glory of being my pet.”

Nova rolled his eyes at Dash’s statement.

She got up to the starting point with the birds. “Ready….set go!” She said the last two lines fast and took off quickly, leaving the others behind. The tortoise did his best as he slowly walked along.

“This doesn’t seem like a good idea.” Starla said.

“I can’t believe Rainbow Dash seems so full of herself.” Cosmos said.

Nova looked over to his mom and dad. Zippy had taken to sitting with the other pets. “Trust me mom and dad, this is just like her. She may be arrogant and brash, but she is a good friend, she does represent the element of loyalty after all. Remember those magical things I told you about?”

“Yeah, Dash is a great friend. This one time when me and Nova went to a town called Appleloosa, the train we were on got attacked by Buffalo.” Starburst went into detail of his experience in Appleloosa and how Dash was acting protective of him. “So see, she is a good friend.” Starburst finished with a smile.

While the race went on, the girls, Nova, Starburst, and their parents talked amongst themselves. Zippy was sitting with the other pets to get to know them. Zippy gave a smile to the group. Angel bunny cocked an eyebrow. Owlowicious was the first to step forward and offer a wing in friendship. Zippy smiled and took hold of his wing with his paw and shook. Opalessence sauntered over with a bored look. She held out her paw for Zippy to take. Zippy took hold and shook as well.

Owlowicious gave out a hoot. He then pointed to the others and hooted as if introducing each of them. Zippy gave out little roars and held his paw to his chest as if introducing himself. Gummy walked up to Zippy with the same blank expression he always has. He stared at Zippy, Zippy stared back. Gummy let out a little growl. Zippy did the same. Angel hopped over to Zippy and put a paw to his chin in thought as he lowered his ears. After a moment, he smiled and held out a paw in greeting. Zippy happily accepted it as well.

“Would you look at that.” Twilight said with a smile. “Looks like our pets are getting along nicely with yours Nova.”

Nova looked over and saw the other animals. “Guess I shouldn’t be surprised. Zippy is pretty friendly.” He stated.

“Awe, that’s so nice.” Fluttershy said with a smile.

“Isn’t that sweet, Gummy made a friend.” Pinkie said with a big smile of her own.

Pretty soon, the birds and bat that were racing were coming up to the finish line. The ponies all cheered as the falcon was the first to cross, followed by the eagle, then the owl, and finally the bat. As they each crossed, the girls cheering became less enthusiastic.

“Something’s not right here.” Twilight said. She took out some binoculars and held them in front of her eyes with her magic.

Fluttershy suddenly pushed herself in front of Twilight to look through them. “Where’s Rainbow Dash?” She asked.

Applejack then pushed in front of Fluttershy to look through the binoculars. “Great galloping golloshes, there’s been an avalanche in there!” Applejack pointed out.

“Rainbow.” Spike said with worry.

“Oh no, I hope she’s okay.” Starburst said with worry.

“Don’t worry everypony, I’ll fly in there and find her.” Nova said.

He was about to summon his wings when Pinkie cried out. “Wait, it’s the turtle.”

“Tortoise!” Every pony exclaimed.

“Whatever.” Pinkie said.

“And he’s carrying something on his back.” Twilight pointed out.

“It’s Rainbow Dash, look, it’s Rainbow Dash!” Pinkie exclaimed.

The tortoise was slowly making its way to the group with Rainbow Dash on his back. She had bandages wrapped around her waist. Everypony cheered.

“Oh thank the cosmos she’s okay.” Nova said.

“Great galaxies, I wonder what happened.” Starla asked.

The cheering soon died down again as they realized the tortoise wasn’t going to reach them any time soon. “Maybe we should meet him halfway.” Fluttershy suggested.

Twilight used her magic to move the finish line over to the tortoise. Once his foot crossed, everypony cheered. Spike walked up and petted the tortoise. “Way to go little guy.”

“Thank goodness you’re not hurt Rainbow.” Twilight said with a smile.

“Just my pride.” Rainbow said.

“I certainly hope all this dreadful dust was worth it.” Rarity said before she let out a sneeze.

“It certainly was if it means Rainbow gets to have a little critter of her own just like the rest of us from now on.” Applejack said.

Rainbow Dash looked down at the tortoise. “Uh, thanks.” She climbed down and got low to talk to him. “For what you did, I owe you.” She held out a hoof for a bump, the tortoise bumped his foot with her hoof.

“Rainbow.” Fluttershy called. “Your new pet is over here waiting for you.” The falcon flew up and over every pony before coming to a landing on Dash’s back.

“Oh, right, yeah, that.” Dash said looking unsure.

Spike walked up to Dash. “What’s the matter?”

Pinkie leaned on Spike’s head. “You got your perfect pet right?”

“The best of the best like you wanted. It can fly and it’s not a squirrel.” Fluttershy added. “Should we sing about it again?”

“Yes please!” Starburst called out.

Nova chuckled a little.

“A falcon sure looks good on you Rainbow.” Applejack said.

Rarity brought out a camera and took Dash’s picture. The tortoise was startled by the flash from the camera and hid in its shell. Dash got low and tried to comfort him. “Easy fella, nothing to be afraid of.” She took a look at the falcon. “The falcon sure looks cool. He’s absolutely everything I wanted in a pet.”

“Yay?” Fluttershy asked.

Rainbow then smiled. “But I said whoever crosses the finish line WITH me gets to be my pet.”

Pinkie suddenly rushed over. “You did, you did say that. She did say that, that was the rule!” She cheered out.

“And the only one who crossed the finish line with me, was the one who stopped to save me when I needed help. The tortoise!” She picked him up and nuzzled him happily.

“Hah, what do ya know.” Nova said. “Looks like Dash may have learned something.”

“YAY, she picked the tortoise!” Starburst cheered.

“But, what about the…” Twilight started but stopped when she saw the falcon shake the tortoise’s foot and walked away.

The tortoise then started to slowly smile. “Awe, would you look at that, he even smiles slow.” Applejack pointed out. Everypony laughed then.

Rainbow Dash then called over to Spike. “Spike, take a letter.” Spike pulled out a quill and parchment, ready to take down Dash’s letter. “Dear princess Celestia, I used to think the most important thing to look for in a pet, or any best friend, were all physical competitiveness and abilities. But now I see how shortsighted and shallow that was of me. Today, I learned what the most important quality is. A certain kind of spirit, a stick to it-ness. A never give up, can do attitude that’s the mark of a real winner, and this tortoise has it.”

“Tenacity.” Twilight said.

“Gazunteight.” Rainbow said. “You just can’t stop this guy, he’s like a….like a…tank.”

Fluttershy then walked up to her. “But Rainbow, you wanted an animal that could fly so it wouldn’t keep you grounded.”

“Awe.” Starburst said in dissapointment. “Does this mean you won’t keep the tortoise?”

“I think I have an idea for a solution.” Twilight said. “Rainbow, bring your new pet by my place and I can help with this issue.”

Rainbow smiled. “Great.”

“Everypony, before we all go off, there’s something I should inform you all of.” Nova said.
“What is it Nova?” Rarity asked.

Nova gave a smile. “I just thought I should let you all know that I ran into Vinyl and Octavia today and I let them in on our secret.”

Twilight smiled back. “That’s great Nova, I’m glad you’re starting to feel all right about letting others in on the fact you and your family aren’t from around here.”

“How’d they take it?” Pinkie asked.

“Pretty well actually.” Starla informed. “We got to talking a bit and we got along rather well after telling them we were aliens.”

“Well that’s just swell you four, I’m might happy fer ya.” Applejack said.

“Right, now that that’s out of the way, Fluttershy, would you mind if we went to your house so my folks can get a pet of their own?” Nova asked.

Fluttershy gave a big grin. “Of course, follow me.” Fluttershy led the way.

They soon reached Fluttershy’s house and she led them around the back where her animal friends were. “Here we are, and these are all my animal friends. So what kind of pet do you want?”

“Well, we don’t know really.” Cosmos said.

“Why don’t you just show us what you have and we’ll go from there.” Starla said.

“Okay then. Let’s see.” Fluttershy led them around and introduced them to the animals there. In the end, it was a small white kitten that got their attention.

“Oh, look at it, it’s so adorable.” Starla cooed.

“I’ll admit, it is pretty cute.” Cosmos said.

“I’ll say, why don’t you get that one?” Starburst said.

“Pretty cute? He’s the cutest thing I’ve ever seen.” Starla said with a smile.

“Do you really like him?” Fluttershy asked. “He seems to like you.” The little kitten purred as Starla held him..

“He’s perfect, we’ll take him.” Starla said.

“Wonderful, I just know you three will get along nicely.” Fluttershy said with a warm smile.

“So how much do we owe you?” Cosmos asked.

“Oh no, I couldn’t take your money, I’m just glad one of my animal friends has a home.” Fluttershy said as she waved a dismissive hoof.

“Thank you Fluttershy, I promise we’ll take real good care of him.” Starla said with a smile.

With their new pet kitten in tow, the four aliens made their way back to their own homes for the afternoon.
“Some day, huh Nova? What do you think this solution is Twilight will have for Tank?” Starburst asked.

“WOO HOO, this is perfect Twilight, thanks!” Dash’s cheer was heard as the two walked past Twilight’s house. They stopped and saw Dash flutter out, the tortoise flew out too.

“Well, guess that answers your question Starburst.” Nova said with a smile. The tortoise had on a pair of goggles and a propeller now strapped to his back that was allowing him to fly.

“Hey Dash, over here!” Starburst called over.

Rainbow Dash looked over and flew to them. “Hey guys, check it out, the world’s first flying tortoise.”

“Neat, and Twilight made that?” Nova asked.

“She sure did. Also, I’ve decided to name him Tank.” Dash said happily.

“Neat, congratulations Dash, I hope you two will be happy together.” Nova said. “We’d better get home now, see ya later.” Nova waved a hoof.

“Bye Dash.” Starburst said as he waved a hoof as well.

“Bye guys, see ya tomorrow.” Dash said back as she waved a hoof.

“I’m happy for Tank.” Starburst said.

PreviousChapters Next