• Published 16th Sep 2013
  • 8,604 Views, 175 Comments

My Little Pony, Friendship is Out of This World - Robobrony



Two ponies from space come to Equestria to make a home for themselves.

  • ...
11
 175
 8,604

PreviousChapters Next
Bonus: A New Learning Experience

Bonus: A New Learning Experience

It was the day after Nova and Starburst’s parents showed up yesterday and had a tearful reunion. Starla and Cosmos stayed in their ship overnight which was also disguised as a regular Ponyville home on the outside near the north side of town. They came back the next morning to Nova’s place after having a good talk yesterday about a few things, it wasn’t long enough to learn everything they needed to know about Equestria.

The two used their magic to disguise themselves as regular ponies out of their ship like how Nova and Starburst did when they first arrived. Starla knocked on Nova’s door and was greeted by her sons in their pony disguise. “Hey mom, good to see you again.” Nova said to her.

“Hello baby, it’s so good to see you, I missed you so much.” Starla said with a grin.

“But it’s only been a day.” Starburst pointed out.

Cosmos interjected. “We’re both still glad to just see you after being separated for so long.”

Nova smiled at his father. “Come on in you two.” Nova and Starburst stepped aside to let the two in. Once Nova closed the door behind them, they all dropped their disguises. Starla and Cosmos dismissed their magic disguise while Nova and Starburst removed their necklaces. Cosmos’s alien form was just like Nova’s, he too had green fur, orange and yellow fins for a mane and tail, a pair of antennae, and orange buggy eyes with yellow pupils. Starla was different, while her eyes were the same and she too had a pair of antennae, she had no fins, her tail was slender and had a yellow ring at the end.

Cosmos then took notice of the necklaces Nova and Starburst had. “Say son, what are those necklaces you have there?”

“Oh these? They’re something of my own invention, they’re portable holographic emitters. They produce an image around our bodies giving us the look and feel of regular ponies here. I had to make them because I kept having close calls whenever I was using my magic to disguise me. At the time, I was trying not to let on that me and Starburst were from another planet. I was afraid if the locals found out, they would do horrible things to us. Thankfully, so far, those fears are quelled a little because of those friends me and Starburst have that you met.” Nova explained.

“Well, that is some impressive work son, you’ve become clever haven’t you?” Cosmos said with pride and a smile.

“Thanks dad.”

“Yeah, Nova’s real smart, and brave, those close calls he had were all mostly when he had to protect our friends from danger and such.” Starburst pointed out.

“Starburst, I don’t think our parents are interested in hearing about that.” Nova said with a smile.

“Danger? What kind of danger?” Starla asked with worry.

“It’s no big deal mom, really.” Nova tried to reassure her.

“Now hold on son, I think we should know what this danger is you got into.” Cosmos stated firmly.

“Oh it was stellar dad, the first time, Nova used his magic to defend three ponies from this huge creature that looked like it was made from stars by putting up a shield in front of it and keeping it from crushing them and eating them.” Starburst said, trying to make it sound more daring than it really was.

“Starburst, don’t you think you’re making too big a deal out of it?” Nova scolded.

“Great galaxies, what was this creature?” Starla asked in worry.

“Twilight called it an Ursa minor I think.” Nova tried to recall. “But it was no big deal, I held it off long enough for the ponies it was after to get away and Twilight was the one in the end to deal with it before the thing could do anymore damage to Ponyville.”

Within an instant, Nova found himself wrapped in his mother’s embrace. “My poor baby, you must have been so scared, I’m so sorry I wasn’t there for you.” She was practically crying.

“Starla calm down, obviously things turned out all right or he wouldn’t be standing here.” Cosmos reasoned. “I’m proud of you for helping out like that son, I’m also impressed. How big was this thing again?”

“As big as one of the houses in Ponyville.” Starburst said happily.

“Mom, you can let go now.” Nova strained out.

“Sorry dear.” Starla finally released her grip. “So what about the other times?” She then questioned.

Starburst was the one to inform them again. “Then there was the time Nova saved every pony from an avalanche. I wasn’t there, but Nova told me about it. He used his magic to make a shield and protect every pony from the rocks.”

“An avalanche? By the stars!” Starla exclaimed.

“Wow Nova, sounds like you’ve been having quite the adventure while you were here. What else happened?” Cosmos asked.

“There was also the time Nova even fought off a hydra, that one was even closer than before, not with the disguise though.” Starburst informed.

“What’s a hydra?” Cosmos asked.

“Starburst, I thought I said that incident was not to be mentioned again.” Nova scolded.

“But it sounded so cool Nova, the way you fought it off to buy the others time to get away so they wouldn’t get eaten.” Starburst went on.

“Eaten, you were almost eaten!?” Starla asked with fear and worry.

“Not almost eaten, WAS eaten.” Starburst emphasized.

“STARBURST, that’s enough!” Nova scolded again, feeling a little embarrassed and disgusted at remembering the incident.

“Now hold on, how is it that if you were eaten by this thing, your standing right here, and what is this hydra anyway?” Cosmos questioned.

Starla looked like she was ready to faint with all this information.

Nova facehooved. “I really hoped to put this behind me.”

Starburst went on. “There he was, just him and the four headed monstrosity, all four heads hungry for pony meat. At the time, four of our friends were at the swamp through a certain series of events. The beast licked his lips in hunger as he eyed the four mares and dragon with their backs to a cliff. Then in comes NOVA!”

Nova had given up trying to reign in his little brother.

“Nova used his magic to zap in some wings and flew around the beast to get its attention. Nova flies left, the beast lunges right, he dodges, weaves, and fly’s around that thing so fast, none of its heads can keep up, all while the mares and dragon hop across a series of rocks to get across the vast chasm before them to get away. Nova chanced a look to make sure they all got across safely, that was when the beast took his chance and managed to knock Nova to the ground with one of his heads. Nova tried to fly away, but the monster was too quick. In one quick strike, he ate Nova whole.”

At this point, Starla and Cosmos were silent. Starla looking more like she was about to faint.

“Just when all hope seemed lost. Nova fought his way out of the beasts gut and climbed up one of its throats and flew out, out of reach of all of its heads. Nova saved the day.” Starburst finished his overly dramatized retelling of Nova’s heroics.

Starla finally fainted. “Mom!” Nova cried out.

“Starla, are you okay?” Cosmos asked as he held her head up.

Nova and Cosmos got on either side of her. “MOM! Oh no, I killed her!” Starburst worried.

Nova looked over to Starburst. “No Starburst, you didn’t kill her, she just fainted.”

Starla’s eyes fluttered open. “Oh my, wha-what happened?” She asked feeling a little confused.

Cosmos informed, “You fainted dear.”

“I did? Sorry if I worried you.” Starla said.

“It’s fine mom, I’m just glad you’re ok.” Nova turned back to his little brother. “Starburst, I think from now on I should be the one to tell mom and dad about the adventures I’ve had, deal?”

“Deal.” Starburst agreed sadly. He then walked up to his mother’s side after Nova stepped away to let him by. “I’m sorry mom, I didn’t mean to make you faint. I just thought it was so cosmic how Nova acted so bravely and fought off that thing.”

Starla finally sat up on her haunches and took her little son in her forelegs for a hug with a smile and a nuzzle. “Its fine Starburst, just try not to embellish these stories so much.”

Starburst smiled at his mother’s nuzzling. “I promise.”

“Well, now that that’s settled, I believe you two still need to explain a few things about this world.” Cosmos stated.

“Right you are dad.” Nova stated with a smile. “Why don’t we head out for some fresh air, I’ll explain things as we walk, we can go to the park or something.”

“That sounds nice.” Starla commented.

The four aliens dawned their pony disguises and headed out. They crossed over the bridge into town and past Twilight’s library. They made their way through town when Nova was met with two familiar faces. “Octavia, Vinyl, hello.” Nova greeted with a smile.

“Nova, dude, what’s up? How you been?” Vinyl greeted.

“Oh hello Nova, good to see you again.” Octavia greeted as well.

“Hey, good to see you too.” Nova responded. “What are you two up to?”

“Nothing really, have you done anything about those friends you told me about when we met in Canterlot?” Octavia questioned.

Nova smiled as he responded. “I did, we made up. Everything is fine between us.”

“Hold on, you two know each other?” Vinyl questioned.

“You know him too?” Octavia questioned Vinyl.

“I sure do. I met him a while back when he first got here. Didn’t I tell you?”

Nova had a confused look on his face. “Hold on, you two know each other?” He questioned.

“Of course we do, we’re roommates after all.” Vinyl pointed out. “How do you know Octavia?” She then questioned.

“I met her in Canterlot during the grand galloping galla. There was an…..incident, I wanted to be alone from the ponies I went there with and we just happened to cross paths with one another.” Nova explained.

“*AHEM*” Nova’s dad cleared his throat to get every pony’s attention. “Nova, who are these two?” He asked.

“Oh right, sorry dad.” Nova gave a sheepish smile. “Vinyl, Octavia, these are my parents, Starla my mother, and Cosmos my dad. Mom, dad, this is Vinyl Scratch and Octavia. They’re two other friends along with a few others I’ve made here.”

“It’s very nice to meet you.” Starla started as she extended a hoof to Octavia for a shake.

“A pleasure.” Octavia returned with a smile and shook.

“It’s always good to meet friends of my son.” Cosmos stated as he shook hooves with Octavia.

“Nice to meet you too sir.” Octavia greeted back

Starla then greeted Octavia. “It’s nice to meet you.” She said as she then extended her hoof for a shake with Vinyl.

“What’s up?” Vinyl said and instead of a hoof shake, Starla was greeted with a series of hoof slaps and other odd gestures as a greeting.

Starla was confused by this. Nova smiled as he explained. “That’s how she likes to greet others instead of just a hoof shake.”

“I see.” Starla said cautiously, not sure what to make of what she was just a part of.

“Hey Octavei, hi Vinyl.” Starburst greeted with a smile.

“Hey there half pint.” Viny greeted playfully as she ruffled Starburst’s mane. Starburst just giggled in response.

“Hello, I don’t believe we’ve met.” Octavia said politely to Starburst.

Nova gave introductions. “Starburst, this is Octavia, the pony I told you about that I met while at the grand galloping galla.”

“Oh, so she’s that nice pony with the band you told me about.” Starburst said as he remembered.

“Octavia, this is my little brother Starburst.” Nova said as he continued introductions.

“It’s nice to meet you Starburst.” Octavia stated with a smile.

Starburst greeted with a smile. “Hello.”

Nova then addressed Octavia and Vinyl. “So what are you two up to today?”

“Not much, just hangin out really.” Vinyl answered. “What about you, what are you up to?”

“I’m just showing my folks around town, we were headed to the park for a bit.”

“I see, it is a lovely day for that.” Octavia stated with a smile. “We’ll let you go then, I hope to see you around again.”

“Yeah, you and your folks should come by the club sometime, I’ll let you in free again like when you came by on your date with your marefriend.” Vinyl informed.

“Mare…..friend?” Starla questioned.

“I….don’t think my parents would enjoy the kind of music you play at the club Vinyl, but I’ll keep your offer in mind, thanks anyway.” Nova responded.

Vinyl lifted her sunglasses up with her magic and rested them on her horn. “Really? All right then, see you later bro.”

“See you later Nova, take care. And welcome to Ponyville to you two.” Octavia directed her last words to Nova’s parents.

“Thank you Octavia.” Cosmos responded.

“See you two later.” Starburst said with a smile.

Once the two ponies were gone, Starla approached her elder son. “Nova, what is a……marefriend?”

Nova began to explain. “It’s the term used here for when a stallion….a male pony…..has a mare, a female pony, to love. Twilight is my marefriend, and the term used for a stallion is a colt friend.”

“I see. Interesting terms there.” Cosmos mused.

The four continued their walk as Nova spoke more of the world they were in. “Another interesting fact is that the pegasus ponies here can manipulate the weather and make it do what they want. They can actually control the weather.”

“They can?” Starla questioned.

“I’ve even seen the weather factory they use to do it.”

“Yeah, Rainbow Dash took us on a tour of the place when we went to watch her compete in a competition the Pegasus ponies hold every year in Cloudsdale.” Starburst said excitedly. “It’s also where Nova and Rainbow Dash managed to pull off some amazing moves! You should have seen it. Rarity was falling to her…..”

“Starburst, don’t even start.” Nova gave Starburst a glare. “Remember, we don’t want you frightening mom with your over dramatics again.”

Starburst gave a sheepish smile. “Sorry.”

“Son, what was Starburst talking about?” Cosmos asked.

Nova then went into full detail of what happened in Cloudsdale and informed the two of the city made of clouds, the weather factory, the competition, and all that transpired there without making it sound so dramatic. When he got to the part about the sonic rainboom and his sonic starboom, his parents were left in a bit of awe. They were even more stunned to learn that the sonic rainboom Nova saw so many years ago from their home planet was the same thing Rainbow Dash performed. It lead to more explanations as to how that sonic rainboom connected him and his new friends.

They soon reached the park and Nova was now informing them of his latest adventure in dealing with the god of chaos Discord, and how Nova was now a bearer of an element of harmony which required more explanation as to what those were.

Nova finally reached the end of his tale and Starla and Cosmos were surprised by all this. “I can’t believe it, my son is the wielder of a magical artifact responsible for protecting an entire country.” Starla commented.

“Wow, that’s amazing son.” Cosmos said.

“I’ll say it is, my big brother is a hero.” Starburst said with pride. The family had gathered under a tree to talk.

“Can we see this element of harmony?” Starla asked.

“Sorry mom, but the elements are kept in a special vault in Canterlot castle. I can’t really show you.” Nova informed.

“That’s all right, I can understand. These things sound very important, so it’s only natural to keep them somewhere safe.”

“Still, you tried to take on a powerful creature like that? What were you thinking Nova?” Comos scolded Nova.

Nova looked to his father as he began. “I was thinking I had to do something to help my friends, despite what they may have done to me upon finding out what I was. I couldn’t just abandon them like that, not after everything we had been through. I know it was pretty stupid to challenge him, but I didn’t know what else to do.”

Starla turned to her husband. “Now Cosmos, it may have been reckless, but he has a point. Besides, he came out of it just fine. And it sounds like these friends are very important to him if he was willing to go so far for them.”

Cosmos looked to his wife as he responded. “I suppose your right.” He then turned back to Nova. “Just don’t do anything stupid like that again, ok?”

Nova gave a smile as he responded. “I got it dad, no unnecessary risks.” So the family sat and talked a bit more as Nova informed his parents a bit more on the world they were in and enjoyed each other’s company. Lunch time soon rolled around so Nova decided the perfect place to take them would be Sugarcube Corner.

Along the way, Nova then had a thought. “You know, now that you guys are here, you’re going to need a job to earn some money. Which reminds me, the money here is called bits.”

“But what kind of job could we get?” Cosmos asked.

“My talent is with mapping stars and your father’s is making telescopes and examining space.” Starla pointed out. “This world doesn’t seem very technologically advanced for us to make use of our talents to get a job.”

Nova thought for a moment. As he thought, they soon reached their destination. He pulled himself from his thoughts and looked up at the bakery. “Here we are, Sugarcube Corner. Ponyville’s number one bakery. This is where Pinkie Pie lives and works with the owners of this place. Their names are Mr. Carrot Cake and Mrs. Cupcake.”

“It’s my favorite place to eat.” Starburst pointed out. “They got all kinds of great sweets and stuff.”

Nova and Starburst led the way inside. Upon entering, their noses were greeted with the smell of freshly baked bread and other goods. “Great galaxies, something smells amazing.” Cosmos stated.

“Hello Nova, hello starburst.” Mrs. Cake greeted cheerfully from behind the counter. “Welcome back.”

“Good day Mrs. Cake, nice to see you again, I’d like you to meet my mom and dad. This is Starla, my mother, and Cosmos, my dad.”

Starla and Cosmos exchanged greetings with Cupcake before finally getting to placing an order. “Nova, why don’t you order for us since you know what’s good here.” Cosmos suggested.

“Are you kidding? Everything is good here.” Starburst pointed out.

Nova laughed at Starburst’s enthusiasm. “Heh heh, he’s right about that. Don’t worry, I think I know the perfect thing to start us off with.” Nova turned to Mrs. Cake. “We’ll have four chocolate milkshakes and a side of blue berry muffins.”

“Nova, Starburst! I thought I heard familiar voices.” Pinkie said as she poked her head out from the kitchen. She quickly rushed over and wrapped Nova and Starburst in a hug. “I’m so happy to see you.”

Nova had a strained smile on. “It’s…..good to see…..you too Pinkie. Could you let go now please.”

“Can’t…..breath.” Starburst strained out.

Pinkie quickly released her grip. “Sorry. Oh hi there, Starla and Cosmos right?” Pinkie questioned as she turned her attention to Nova and Starburst’s parents.

“Yes, that’s right.” Starla said with a smile. “And you are Pinkie Pie, correct?”

“That’s me, it’s nice to see you again. What brings you by here?” Pinkie asked happily.

“I figured it would be nice for my folks to get a taste of some of the local food here. What better place than Ponyville’s number one bakery right?” Nova said with a smile.

“Right you are Nova, so what can I get you?”

Mrs. Cake answered for Nova. “They want four milkshakes and bluberry muffins dear.”

“You got it, just find a seat and I’ll be right out with your order.” Pinkie zipped back into the kitchen to make the requested items.

“Is she always so….” Starla trailed off.

“Energetic, yes she is.” Nova answered. “She’s got a lot of energy, but she’s a great friend.” The family of four soon found an empty table to sit at. “Now what kind of job could you guys get here?” Nova thought out loud.

They all went into thought to try and think of something. “I know!” Starburst exclaimed. “You could…..no never mind. Oh, I know, you could……no, that won’t work either. Maybe you….no. Come on, there must be something.”

The adults couldn’t help but smile and laugh a little at Starburst’s attempt. “Keep trying little brother, we’ll think of something.” Nova said with a smile.

As they continued to think, Pinkie Pie soon came out with their order, balancing it on a tray on her head. She came up and placed the tray on the table before them. “Here you go, four milkshakes and blue berry muffins. Need anything else?”

“Yeah, an idea for a job for mom and dad.” Starburst said.

“Maybe Twilight can help, she’s smart, maybe she could help you come up with something.” Pinkie suggested.

“That’s not a bad idea Pinkie, thanks.” Nova said to Pinkie with a smile.

“You’re welcome, enjoy your food.” Pinkie bounced back to the kitchen.

“Dig in guys.” Nova said to his family. The first thing they each took a taste of were the muffins.

“Mmm, these things are delicious.” Cosmos commented after taking a bite. “We didn’t have anything like this back on our old planet.”

“I know right?” Nova said with a smile. “What do you think mom?”

“This is very tasty, I’ve never had anything like this before.” Starla stated as she enjoyed her muffin.

“Try the milkshake next, it’s great.” Starburst pointed out.

Starla and Cosmos did so and simply loved it as well. “These milkshakes are amazing.” Starla commented.

“I’ll say.” Cosmos agreed. “Is all the food here just as good?”

“While there are plenty of good things to eat, not all of it is sweet like what you can get at this bakery.” Nova informed.

“And just wait till you try a cake, a cupcake, cookies, ice cream, all kinds of sweets here.” Starburst informed. “But what you should really try is Applejacks apple pies, they are out of this world.”

“And Applejack is one of your friends, right?” Cosmos asked.

“Yes, she and her family run an apple orchard just outside of Ponyville called Sweet Apple Acres.” Nova informed. Nova noticed a familiar pony walk into the bakery and called out to her. “Derpy! Hey there.”

Derpy looked over to her caller and saw Nova with his family. “Hey there Nova, Starburst, what’s up?” She asked happily as she made her way over to them.

“Just enjoying some time with my mom and dad.” Nova informed. “Mom, dad, this is Derpy Hooves, another friend I made here. She’s the town’s mail pony.”

“Hello, it’s nice to meet you, I’m Starla, Nova and Starburst’s mother.” Starla greeted.

“And I’m Cosmos, their father, a pleasure to meet you.” Cosmos greeted.

“Nice to meet you. I see you’re enjoying some tasty muffins. I love muffins.” Derpy said with a smile. “So what brings you to Ponyville, where did you two come from if you don’t mind me asking.”

“We’re from…..uh.” Starla tried to come up with something.

Nova provided a much needed answer. “They’re from Phillydelphia, they decided to move here to be close to us.”

“Awe, that’s nice. So you two are originally from there then?” Derpy asked Nova and Starburst.

“Yeah, you could say that.” Nova stated. “And there I go, lying to a friend again. I hate lying to a friend. Could I really let her in on the fact that me and my family are aliens? Twilight and the others accepted me and Starburst despite the fact we’re aliens. Maybe I should try being more trusting. Why not, I’ll tell her, but not right now.” Nova thought to himself.

After a bit of catching up and chatting amongst themselves with Derpy, the family finished their meal and took their leave of the bakery. “See you around Derpy.” Nova said to her as they left.

“See you later Nova.” Derpy said with a wave of her hoof.

The family soon arrived at the library and entered. Nova spotted Twilight at a desk going through a book with her back facing them while Spike was up on a ladder shelving a few books. “Looks like Twilight is off in her own little world right now.” Nova thought to himself. He had an idea to play a little joke to get her attention. He motioned for every pony to stay quiet. They were curious as to what Nova was up to, but did as he asked.

“Book out of place!” Nova shouted.

Twilight yelped and Spike started stumbling on the ladder as the stack of books in his arms started wobbling. “Book out of place? Where, where?!” Twilight asked as she looked around frantically.

Nova snickered, but then got a little worried as he saw Spike about to fall. He quickly used his magic to help steady Spike and floated him and the books back down.

Nova finally started laughing at his joke that surprised Twilight. “HA HA, oh man, you should see the look on your face Twilight, HA HA HA.”

Starburst laughed a little as well. Twilight smirked at Nova. “Very funny Nova.” Her smirk turned to a genuine smile. She walked over to him and the two shared a quick kiss.

“Nova, what’s the big deal? You scared me and nearly made me fall.” Spike complained.

“Maybe, but I did keep that from happening didn’t I?” Nova pointed out.

“So what brings you by Nova?” Twilight questioned.

“I was wondering if you might be able to help us figure out what kind of job my folks can get here in Ponyville.”

“We’d really appreciate any ideas you may have.” Starla said with a smile.

“Ideas for a job? Hmm, well, what are your special talents?” Twilight asked.

Cosmos answered first. “Mine is spotting stars and planets.”

Starla then mentioned hers. “Mine is mapping them out.”

“Wow, really?” Twilight asked sounding a little impressed. “Well, I suppose you could have a job as star mappers to help us learn more about the stars that we can see. We could always use some pony with talents like that. You can move up to Canterlot and join the star exploration team there.”

“Couldn’t we just work from Ponyville, I really don’t want to move away from my sons now that we just got reunited.” Starla asked.

“Oh right, I guess you wouldn’t want to be separated would you? I don’t see why you can’t work from here then. I’ll send word to the princess and see about setting you up with that.” Twilight offered with a smile.

“So….we’ll be working for this princess herself?” Cosmos asked.

“No, but she can help get you two set up with the job and a system to pay you for your work and any stars or planets you may discover, of course you’ll also have a regular salary as well.”

“Thank you miss Sparkle, we really appreciate any help you can give.” Cosmos said with a grateful smile.

Twilight returned the smile. “You’re welcome, and you can just call me Twilight.”

“All right, looks like you two are all set then.” Nova pointed out. “You two will get a job that utilizes your talents. Congratulations mom and dad.”

“Yeah, congratulations.” Starburst cheered.

So Cosmos and Starla were on the way to getting a job in Ponyville to start earning a living for themselves. The family of aliens were very pleased about the way today had turned out, with a plan set, they headed back out to enjoy the rest of the day together.

Author's Note:

Hope you all enjoyed this second bonus chapter. After this, I'll go back to writing chapters along with the show. Thanks for your support.

PreviousChapters Next