• Published 15th Sep 2013
  • 11,322 Views, 412 Comments

Hoof Covers Bruise - Arwhale



When you take the blame, you'll take the pain. Scootaloo took the blame.

  • ...
12
 412
 11,322

One Day

Having somepony to talk to on the trip was always nice. But today, Applebloom was walking all by herself, and she didn’t like it one bit.

Seeing Sweetie after school had become an everyday routine, and despite the long trek, neither of them ever missed a visit; on the two nights a week that Miss Cheerilee didn’t tutor Sweetie Belle at home, Applebloom and Scootaloo would go over the day’s lesson with her.

Or, at least, that was what they did officially. Applebloom was pretty sure Sweetie’s parents knew they weren’t exactly tutoring her all the way until sundown, but she was also pretty sure they didn’t care, either. In a sense, their home had become the new Cutie Mark Crusaders clubhouse, and even if they couldn’t go Crusading like they used to, they never let that stop them from having fun.

With a shrug of her shoulders, Applebloom readjusted the saddlebag on her back. The trip took a little while, usually between twenty minutes to a half hour depending on how fast you walked, but today it felt like an hour. There was a first time for everything, and she knew Sweetie Belle would understand why Scootaloo couldn’t come, but that didn’t stop her from feeling down about it regardless.

The road narrowed as she made the turn into Sweetie’s neighborhood. The houses here were quite sizable, and Sweetie’s house was no exception: three floors, with an expansive yard and the added bonus of a nice view of the Ponyville pond up front. The millwheel next door groaned and creaked, the sound accompanied by the rhythmic, hissing plop of water running off the wheel-slats and falling into the pond below.

Applebloom walked over the well-trimmed grass of her friend’s front yard and stepped onto the front porch. An ornate silver knocker was placed in the center of the door, and Applebloom grabbed a hold of it, rapping it against the door three times. From inside, she could hear the sound of hooves padding lightly over a carpet floor, and the door swung open.

Sweetie Belle’s mother was on the other side, and seeing Applebloom standing there, she smiled wide.

“Applebloom, sweetheart! Come on in.” She stepped to the side to allow Applebloom entry. The filly wiped her hooves on the doormat before stepping inside.

“Hold on, I’m coming!”

The squeaky voice of her fellow Crusader was unmistakable. Applebloom turned her head to the voice, looking at the doorway to one of the adjacent rooms. Sweetie Belle’s mother darted over the carpet and to the entrance of the other room.

“No, no! You just stay where you are, Sweetie! We’ll come to you…”

“No, no, that’s okay. I’m already, like, halfway there.” Sweetie could be heard giggling from a short distance away. “I’m fine.”

Applebloom’s view of Sweetie was blocked by the wall, but she could see her mother shooting her a disapproving glare.

“Sweetie… just, be careful, okay?” She said with the worry only a mother could have. "You're still just getting used to walking on it."

Applebloom could hear Sweetie’s quiet laughter in tandem with a set of irregular hoofsteps on the hardwood floor. “I know, mom. Don’t worry, I’m starting to get the hang of it.”

The white unicorn filly emerged, stepping her front leg onto the carpet. Her only front leg. She looked up from the floor.

“Hey, Applebloom!” A bright smile was on her face. However, it took only a moment to fade as she looked at the spot beside Applebloom. “Where’s Scoots?”

Applebloom smiled back, but there was a hint of melancholy to it. “Hey, Sweetie Belle. Scoot isn’t... she’s not feeling good, so she went home for today. So it’s just me ‘n you.”

Sweetie Belle looked saddened by the news. Her eyes expanded at the mention of Scootaloo being ill. “Oh… well, I hope she feels better…” she pushed off the ground with her two back legs, sending herself forward and landing on her foreleg in a limping step. Sweetie’s mother came forward to help her, but the filly shook her head roughly.

“No, I got it, really.” She took another hobbling step forward, eyes fixed on her front leg with intense concentration.

Applebloom, on the other hand, wasn’t going to let Sweetie walk all the way across. She met her halfway and gave Sweetie a hug with one foreleg. Unable to hug her back, Sweetie pressed her cheek against Applebloom’s neck, a gentle smile on her face. Sweetie’s mother still hovered behind her daughter, but when it was apparent that Sweetie was in good hooves, she nodded one last acknowledgement to Applebloom and left them there alone.

“I’ve got the notes,” said Applebloom after she pulled away. “We did math today.”

Sweetie groaned. “Math? Ugh!” She pouted, walking in her unique gait alongside Applebloom. “I hate math.”

The farm filly laughed. “Yeah, Ah know. Don’t worry, Ah’ll teach it to ya. Ah’ve always liked math.” She gave her a confident smirk. Sweetie stuck her tongue out in disgust.

“Bleugh! I don’t get how. All those numbers just make me dizzy,” she replied. “I don’t get why you’re so good at it.”

Applebloom shrugged. “Just comes natural to me, Ah guess.”

Sweetie Belle took another step forward, but stopped in the middle of the floor. Applebloom didn’t notice at first, but when she turned her head to talk to Sweetie, she realized that the unicorn filly was behind her.

“You need help?” She asked, concerned. Sweetie shook her head again.

“No, I’m… I’m good. Just need to rest for a second,” she said with a short puff of air. Applebloom raised one eyebrow.

“Ya sure?”

“Yeah.” She coughed once to clear her throat. “I’m fine. I can make it.”

She started forward again to prove her point, but it was soon obvious that she was still not having an easy time with it. Applebloom was only an inch away from ignoring Sweetie and helping her anyway, but she dissuaded herself at the last second. This was a matter of dignity, and she wasn’t going to take that away from her friend. She swaggered from side to side to disguise the fact that she walking extra slow, hoping that Sweetie wouldn’t notice.

Since Sweetie’s bedroom had been on the third floor, her parents had moved her to the guest room downstairs. It was nigh impossible for the filly to traverse the stairs without help, and this option was far more doable. Applebloom opened the door, moving out of Sweetie’s way. The unicorn filly staggered inside, and Applebloom closed the door behind her. She undid the strap of her saddlebag and grabbed it in her teeth, pulling it off her back and tossing it onto the covers of the bed.

The mattress was low to the ground to make it easier for Sweetie to reach. Applebloom hopped up, taking a seat on the comforter and taking the notes out of her saddlebag. Sweetie Belle followed Applebloom, using her hind legs to jump onto the bed and belly-flopping onto the mattress. The movement was clumsy, but it got the job done.

Applebloom laid the two note pages on the blanket as Sweetie scooted closer. The unicorn filly sulked.

“Alright, let’s get this over with.” She sighed. “What math did you guys do this time?”

Applebloom turned the paper so that the writing was facing Sweetie Belle. “We went over this thing called ‘roots.”’

Right away, Sweetie’s face registered confusion at the unfamiliar term. “Roots? What do you mean, ‘roots?’ You mean like plants?”

Applebloom guffawed. “Plants? Oh, no. Like, square roots.” She put special emphasis on the word “square.”

Sweetie Belle gave her a blank stare. Applebloom face-hooved.

“Well… okay, how about I just show you an example instead…”

The tip of Twilight's tongue stuck out of her mouth in concentration. Holding a quill in her magic, she traced it carefully over the scroll on her desk, pressing down very hard to ensure the writing was clear and legible. She finished the last word in the message, dipping the tip of her quill back in the inkwell. She pressed the tip of the quill back onto the paper.

Whump!

"Aaagh!"

Twilight cried out at the sound of her front door suddenly slamming open downstairs. She jumped in her seat, her quill streaking across the page and leaving behind a broad, black line over the words she had already written.

"Hey, Twilight! Are you here?" A raspy voice called from below.

That was all it took. Twilight rolled her eyes. She knew right away who had crashed through her front door.

"Yes, yes. I'm coming, Rainbow Dash." She set the quill back into the inkwell, taking a closer look at the scroll. The black line of ink was impossible to miss; she was going to have to write the whole thing over again. She scowled.

"Oh, for the love of..." she groaned. The alicorn tossed the ruined scroll into the trash and got up from her seat and trotting over to the stairs. "Gimme just a sec, Dash!"

When Twilight walked down, she was greeted by an excited rainbow pegasus at the bottom of the stairs. Rainbow Dash was rubbing her hooves together, hovering a meter above the floor.

"Hello, Rainbow Dash. How are you d--"

"So, do you have it? Do you?" Rainbow Dash cut her off , zipping over to Twilight and pressing her nose against the other mare's. "Did it come in yet?"

Twilight reared back a bit as Rainbow Dash got in her face, but gently pushed the pegasus back a few feet with her hoof. "Calm down there, Dash. Did what come in y--Ohh..." Twilight smiled. "That? Yep, it came in the mail just this morning. It's in the box over the--"

No sooner had she gestured to the small square box next to one of the far shelves than Rainbow Dash zoomed over to it, picking it up with her hooves. Twilight chuckled at her friend's enthusiasm.

"Aaalright!" Rainbow Dash exclaimed. She wasted no time in tearing open the cardboard with her teeth. The item inside was encased in a layer of paper, and she tore that off as well, revealing the item: a brand new hardcover book. But not just any book. Rainbow Dash flipped it over to the front cover, an elated smile spreading over her face.

"Daring Do and the Treasure of the Serpent Sea," she read the book's title aloud. She had been waiting for the latest entry in the Daring Do series to arrive, and now it was finally in her hooves. She rubbed it against her cheek in an affectionate hug. "I can't believe it's finally here! I've been waiting ages for this thing!"

Twilight laughed. "Ages? It's only been... today's Thursday, and I put in the order Monday... so three days. Not that long."

Rainbow Dash looked incredulous. "Three days? It's definitely been waaaay longer than that..." She thought back to earlier in the week. "I mean, it's felt like at least a week... wait a second. You said today was Thursday?"

Twilight affirmed her with a nod. "Yep. Why do you ask?"

Rainbow Dash appeared worried by the news. She ran a hoof over the book's smooth cover.

"I thought today was Wednesday... That means that tomorrow is Friday." She reasoned aloud. "Which means..."

"What's the matter?" Twilight asked. Rainbow Dash shrugged, tossing the book back and forth from one hoof to another.

"Hm? Oh, nothing. It's just that I promised to give Scoots her first flying lesson on Friday, and that's actually tomorrow..."

"Oh, I see," said Twilight. A mistake in the ordering of one of the shelves caught her eye, and she began to rearrange some of the books with her magic. "Speaking of which, how's your whole thing with Scootaloo been going? You know, the whole "taking her under your wing" thing?"

Rainbow Dash caught the book, spinning it skillfully on her foreleg. "It's been going great. Scoots is a chip off the old block." She grinned. "I actually got to talk to her this morning on her way to school, which was pretty cool. She seemed pretty excited about Friday... tomorrow." She laughed with nervousness. "Guess I should start putting together a routine for her now, huh?"

Twilight switched the order of two of the books on the shelf. "Yeah, probably a good idea. Don't want to be unprepared."

Rainbow Dash agreed. "Yeah... And it'll probably be harder to come up with good stuff since she's a little banged up..."

"Oh? How so?" Twilight inquired. There was a trace of worry in her tone of voice. "What happened?"

Rainbow Dash gave her a smug grin. "She crashed her scooter when she was trying to do a trick." She saw Twilight wince, but the pegasus didn't seem too concerned. "I'm telling you, though, she's a chip off the old block. I remember doing stuff like that when I was her age and getting banged up, too. Little Squirt's as tough as nails."

Twilight could see the pride shining on Rainbow Dash's face. It was all she needed to prove that things between the two pegasi were going well.

"I'm glad to hear that, Dash. She sounds a lot like you," she said. Rainbow Dash nodded, staring down at the book held in her hooves.

"Yeah. She sure is," she affirmed. She stared down at the book, seemingly lost in thought for a moment before she spoke again. "Anyways... I think I should probably get going."

She glided over to Twilight, giving her a tight hug with the foreleg that was not holding the new hardcover. Twilight returned the grateful gesture.

"Thanks for the book, Twi!" The pegasus squeezed her, flapping her wings excitedly. "I know you said you'd give it to me for free, buuuut... if you ever change your mind and want me to pay you for it..."

Twilight immediately shook her head at the suggestion. "Oh, no. Don't worry about it. Consider it a gift from me to you," she offered.

Rainbow Dash drew away from the hug, crossing her forelegs over her chest. "You sure? I mean, I can go back and get the ten bits from my house..."

"No, that's fine." Twilight refused. "I have no problems with giving it to you for free. My treat."

Seeing she was serious, Rainbow Dash decided to take the gift. She clutched the shiny new hardcover with a grip of steel, and she glossed over the title once again. The prospect of more late nights spent reading was a good one.

"Okay, then. If you say so." She flew over to the door. "Thanks again, Twi! I think I'm really gonna like this one."

Twilight waved at the rainbow pegasus as she began to leave. "You're welcome! And good luck with your flying lessons!"

"Thanks! She's in good hooves, don't worry!" Rainbow Dash assured. Tucking the book underneath her, she waved one more farewell to Twilight and closed the door with a hard slam. Twilight winced at the loud sound.

"Geez, doesn't that pony know how to open and close doors without nearly breaking the frame?" She asked the bookshelves. They didn't answer her. She frowned.

"Yeah, right... back to work." She walked upstairs and sat back down at her desk. With a glance over at the trashcan, she eyed the ruined scroll. The alicorn sighed.

"Darn it, Rainbow Dash," she moaned. Hovering another blank scroll out from one of the cubbies on her desk, she took out the quill and began to write it all over again.

...

“Umm… 5?”

Applebloom grinned. “Eeyup! That’s four in a row, now. You feel like you’re startin’ to get it?”

Sweetie Belle put her hoof under her chin, skimming over the notes once more. “I think so…” She pointed to one of the numbers on the paper with her snout. “So, that little number thingy next to the big number… what’s it called again?”

Applebloom looked at the number indicated. “Oh, you mean that little number in the corner? The exponent?”

Sweetie nodded in affirmation. “Yeah, the expo… exparrot… that.” She rolled her eyes with frustration. “When that’s a two, that means you multiply that number by itself one time? And when that squiggly thingy is outside the number… what’s that called again?”

Applebloom scrunched up her face in thought. It took her a second to think, but she eventually shook her head, smiling sheepishly. “Ah dunno, actually…”

“Meh, whatever the thingy’s called,” Sweetie blew it off, “that means square root?”

“Eeyup!” Applebloom confirmed. “I think you got the gist of it.”

Sweetie Belle raised her eyebrows in surprise. “Really? I actually got it?” She was elated. “Wow, that’s like… the first time I’ve actually gotten math that fast!”

Applebloom chuckled. “Yeah, y’see? It’s not that hard. It’s actually pretty easy once you get used to it.”

“Ehh…” Sweetie Belle narrowed her eyes skeptically. “I mean, I dunno about ‘easy,’ but…” She blushed, looking away bashfully, “…you’re a good teacher, so… that makes it better.”

Applebloom took the compliment to heart. She blushed as well, feeling accomplished.

“Really? Well, Ah uh, Ah mean… thanks…” she cleared her throat out of nervousness. She never knew what to say when it came to compliments, even if they came from one of her best friends. “S-so… you wanna practice a little more? Y’know, just to make sure…”

Sweetie made a face at the prospect of doing even more math. “Well, I don’t really… agh, fine,” she consented with a groan, “I guess a little more couldn’t hurt… hey, Applebloom? Can I ask you a quick question?”

“Yeah, what’s up?” Applebloom replied. Sweetie Belle looked at her with an expression of concern.

“It’s about Scoots… When you said she wasn’t feeling good, did she say how sick she was? I mean, like, is she still okay?”

Only giving it a second’s thought, Applebloom replied in the affirmative. “Oh yeah, she’s still alright. Ah guess… Ah mean, she wasn’t real sick or anything, and she did come to school today, but... she didn’t seem normal, either. She didn’t look that great.”

Sweetie Belle listened to every word, silently directing her gaze at the pillows on her bed. “Oh. Okay… sorry, I just wanted to know because Scoot’s been… ah, nevermind.” She stopped herself mid-sentence.

Applebloom noticed, and immediately her curiosity peaked. “Wait… been what? What about Scootaloo?” she inquired.

Sweetie Belle re-situated herself on the bed, fumbling awkwardly at the covers. “N-nevermind. It’s nothing, just… it’s nothing. Don’t worry about it—”

“No, it’s alright, you can tell me. Ah wanna know,” Applebloom insisted. “Is something the matter with Scoots?”

Sweetie Belle pressed her lips together tightly, taking a deep breath through her nose and exhaling through her mouth.

“I don’t wanna say, but… maybe I should just tell you,” she relented. She played with the sheets with her foreleg, softening her voice to a near-whisper. “I just feel like… like, Scoots has been acting… different, lately.”

Sweetie cringed the moment the words left her mouth. The filly never liked talking about other ponies behind their backs. Applebloom’s brow narrowed down in a perplexed frown.

“Different? Like, whaddya mean, exactly?”

Sweetie pursed her lips again, a pained look on her face. “I dunno. She just seems…sad.”

Applebloom cocked her head. “Sad? Hmm..." She screwed up her face in thought.

"Yeah, sad. Like, just feeling kinda down about things..." Sweetie Belle said, not sounding very sure of herself.

Applebloom thought back to all the times when she had been with Scootaloo over the past few weeks. While she hadn't noticed anything too obvious, she did have to admit that, now that Sweetie had brought it up, Scootaloo had been seeming a bit odd lately. Her eyebrows furrowed downward.

"Yeah... now that you mention it, she sort of does seem like she's... not quite the same," she concurred. "Ah can't really put my hoof on it."

"Yeah, me neither. It's just one of those things, you know?" Sweetie said gloomily. "Then again, maybe I'm just imagining things..."

Applebloom fiddled with the bow on her head, obviously at discomfort. "Nah... well, maybe. I don't know." She licked her lips. "Do you... do you think maybe we should talk to her? Just to make sure she's doing okay?"

Sweetie Belle considered her friend's proposal, and gave her a quick nod of her head. "Yeah... I think that would be a good idea. We don't have to make a big deal out of it; we can just ask her if she's been doing okay next time we see her. That's all," she reasoned.

Applebloom stopped playing with the bow on her head. She mulled it over, and came to the conclusion that their plan was a good one. "Alright. Sounds good to me."

The two of them lay there on the bed without saying a word for quite some time. That is, until Applebloom gestured to the page of notes lying on the covers between them. She grinned with mischief.

"So... how about we practice a little more on this stuff, and we can call it a day," she said. Sweetie Belle looked at the notes page, and cringed.

"Uhhh... I don't really w-- ughh, fine," she caved. Applebloom giggled, and pointed to one of the numbers on the piece of looseleaf.

"Square root of 121?"

Scootaloo hung her helmet over one of the handlebars, propping her scooter against the tall oak tree. She always made sure to keep it partially hidden behind the tree’s thick trunk and in view of her bedroom window, as if paranoid that a thief would come and steal it away as soon as she was out of sight.

The sun shone bright, but the trees kept most of the house in a perpetual shadow. She walked toward the front door with a cautious step, looking and listening as she approached. She clutched the doorknob between her brown and blue hooves and, as carefully and quietly as she could, cracked the door open. Her head poked inside.

She listened, hardly daring to breathe. After a minute went by without her hearing anything inside, she slid in through the crack and closed the door shut behind her. Again, she listened.

When she was satisfied nopony was home, she allowed herself to breathe again. With more confidence, she walked down the hall until she was in the kitchen.

A thin film of dust sat atop the wooden table at the center of the room. Behind it was the counter, which had also developed a layer of dust from the lack of use. Scootaloo walked past the table, heading straight for the refrigerator in the far left corner, grabbing the handle in her mouth and pulling it open.

She grinned. Beside the half-filled egg carton and gallon of milk, there were still three juice boxes left. She took one out and closed the door.

Minutes later, Scootaloo was sitting alone on the sofa in the next room, hunched over the coffee table with the straw of the juice box between her lips. She slurped the sweet nectar through the straw until the box formed an hourglass shape, and after extracting every last drop, she set it down on the coffee table atop a paper plate containing an uneaten jelly sandwich.

She wasted no time in snatching it up and wolfing it down until there was nothing but crumbs left on the plate and jelly-stains left on her hooves. Her stomach rumbled below, but she ignored it.

Taking extra precautions not to touch the furniture, she grabbed the paper plate and walked back to the kitchen. After throwing it in the trash, she washed her hooves in the sink, making sure to clean away every last jelly stain before she went back to the living room to inspect it for any messes she could have made.

There was nothing. Feeling relieved, she left the room.

The hallway was dimly lit by a tarnished brass chandelier hanging overhead. One of the teardrop-shaped bulbs blinked rapidly, giving it the appearance of an actual flickering candle flame. Scootaloo walked underneath it, heading to the door at the end of the hall. When she got there, the filly opened the door and stepped inside.

Minimal light from the outside world came in through the cracks in her blinds. She would have opened them to let in some more of the sunshine, but the cord had been broken for quite some time. Leaving the lights off, Scootaloo shut the bedroom door and hopped onto her bed.

For quite some time, the filly lay there on her stomach, legs sprawled out over the cotton comforter. Now that a day or so had passed, the brown and blue lumps on her hide were starting to hurt less, and she was getting used to the sore, ache-y feeling when she laid down on top of them. She rested her cheek on the blanket, looking to the far wall on her left.

Knicks and craters littered the drywall. Scootaloo’s eyes examined every bump and crack, every gash and bit of chipped paint. Some were indiscreet, anonymous, yet some others were not. Some were distinct; they held memories. And she remembered.

Not wanting to look anymore, Scootaloo rolled over onto her back to stare straight up at the ceiling. But just before she was about to close her eyes, out of her peripheral vision, something on the wall right beside her door captured her attention. She looked up with only her head, her chin pressed against the base of her neck.

It was a little calendar, the type that was small enough to stick in a saddlebag or shove comfortably into a desk drawer. A knob of sticky tack had been used to fasten it to the wall, leaving it slightly crooked but otherwise secure. On one of the days, a Friday, Scootaloo could make out words that had been written in red ink, in all capital letters:

"FIRST LESSON WITH RAINBOW DASH!!!!"

The filly’s pupils dilated. Right away, Scootaloo remembered her big sister’s reminder from that morning. Her first ever flying lesson with Rainbow Dash was on Friday.

And today was Thursday. Tomorrow. Just one day.

Gradually, a smile found its way onto the pegasus filly’s face. She closed her eyes with contentment, and her head sank into the pillow. Before she fell unconscious, only one thought was on her mind.

Just one more day.

As she drifted off into much-needed sleep, her smile hadn’t gone away.

Author's Note:

So, if you are shocked or confused as to why Sweetie Belle has one leg missing... read Like Shattered Glass to find out what happened! *totally not attention whoring*

It's done. At last, it is done. It took me a crapload of time, but it's actually done in less than a month. Granted, this is probably the chapter I'm least satisfied with so far, and I feel like there's something wrong with it... even so, if things have been going like they have in the past, people will probably still tell me I'm doing great and everything, but if you think that you could help with improving something from the story, don't be afraid to let me know. Even if I have disagreements, I will never get mad or snap at you if you're making an effort to give me feedback. I promise. :)

The next chapter is not going to update any faster, unfortunately. At least, I don't think so. I don't know what inspired me to take on an independent research project with one of my professors ON TOP of all the other shit I'm doing, but... yeah. Don't expect a hasty update for the next chapter. Sorry.

Hope you enjoyed reading!

~Arwhale

P.S. I do know that horses/ponies can't really get around with three legs, and that they're usually put down as a result. But these are pastel-colored talking cartoon ponies and unicorns we're talking about here, so... lol getoverit lololol