• Published 15th Aug 2013
  • 1,057 Views, 51 Comments

The Strings Of Life - MLPxMaestro



Life is a full broad spectrum of drama and numerous other emotions, but playing the appropriate notes in life can make a lovely sound. Everypony has their dark turns in life, and their happy improvements. But how far will somepony be willing to go?

  • ...
11
 51
 1,057

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter Six- The Charming Devil

The Strings Of Life:

Chapter 6- The Charming Devil:

“So how did the lessons go? Are you ready to make your lovely debut unto the ponies of Canterlot?” his mother asked as he trotted through the door.

He did not answer, as he made final preparations before he heads out to the Canterlot Theatre.

“Dear boy, is something troubling you at this hour? It is already seven o’ clock sharp, you should be on your way down there by now. Don’t worry though, you will have my vote son.” his father stated to him positively, but still no response out of Maestro.

“I…will…win.” He thought to himself determined.

Several minutes later after taking care of business and final instrument prep, he made his way out and on his way towards the theatre with his participation number; he would be the last one to perform…number thirty.

As for Octavia herself, she didn’t normally go to these kinds of things anymore after what had happened with her “lovely” Ex a few years ago.

“After all of this time, I can’t believe he’s in this competition? How could he even be here at this hour? He doesn’t live in Canterlot anymore?” she said to herself, as she was prepping herself on her way out to the event.

She closed the door behind her, and began thinking whether or not that wish she made would ever come true. She didn’t believe in superstition like that, but her Grandmother certainly wouldn’t lie to her.

She gets closer and closer to the theatre, but then…she hears his voice call out to her in the distance as he runs up to her.

“Octavia? Is that really you?”

She turns around, and notices her ex run up to her happy to see her, but she wasn’t buying anything he said, nor did she care about what he said in the first place.

“Dear Octavia it is so good to see you.” he hugged her, but she didn’t hug back.

“Oh…hello…Silver Strings.”


Silver Strings was a very handsome stallion indeed, a Unicorn, and possessed a snake tongue too. He could get away with everything it seemed, it was like it was in his DNA. He was the reason why Octavia’s reputation became ruined in Canterlot, as he used her incredible work for himself, and used it for his Violin. He did more though however, and even became famous. One night Octavia couldn’t attend an important concert, Silver Strings her boyfriend at the time of course, took her place, and lied about terrible pieces he made up at the top of his head, and claimed they were hers. She became infuriated at him, and never wanted to see him again. When she was asleep then one night, Silver Strings then took all of her best work with him, then snuck on a train out of Canterlot, and never returned thereafter…until now.

Silver Strings kept on chatting towards her with a smile, but he was an imposter inside and out.

“So what have you been doing lately, hm?”

“None of your business Silver Strings, now I must be on my way.” She gently bumped him out of the way to make her way to the entrance, but then he stopped her by getting in her way.

“Now Octy, that’s not how to act in front of your ex.” He smiled mischievously.

“Get the buck away from me, now!”

“Aw come on now Octy, surely you wouldn’t hurt me now would you, and ruin your reputation even more? Those were terrible pieces you wrote by the way. Worst pieces of music I’ve ever heard.”

“Those were your made up pieces of crap you twat!” she said to him frustratingly, trying her best to keep her cool, but slowly slipping away from her efforts.

As Maestro made his way closer and closer to the entrance, he heard that voice he knew too well…it was Octavia.

“Look at her, already getting attention from handsome stallions like him.”

But when he heard the two of them talk in the distance, it sounded like Octavia was pretty pissed off at him.

Maestro sighed, and always was a pony to step up for anypony who seemed to be picked on, no matter who it was. It was just in his personality to do so for others, he didn’t know why himself either, he just felt like it was one of his callings to do so to help make a mark in the world.



As he approached the two of them closer and closer in his ravishing attire and Cello on his back, he even wondered why he is helping her out after what she did to him. But he knew that all things must come to pass, and it was his part to be the gentlecolt and move on like he should’ve done a while back.

“So like I said, it was all thanks to you that I have made my mark in Europe now, you’re too sweet Octy.”

“Shut the buck up you insolent little fool, and get out of my way, now!” she yelled at him.

“Careful Octy, don’t wanna start something else again do we?”

“Damn it, I’m not your Octy anymore! Now move!” She tried to get passed him, but he just kept blocking her.

“I have somepony to see in there!” she raised her voice again.

Maestro then stopped, and realized something he thought he’d never see coming.

“Wait a second…who’s the pony she said she’s going to see?” he wondered.

“Who is it then? Do you got a new boyfriend or something?” Silver Strings said as he laughed.

“Okay man, you need to lay off of her, you’re just a jerk.” Maestro mumbled to himself.

He then straightened himself up, and made his way over to the two of them.

“Are you implying Octy, that you’re just a-”

“Hey! Dude, lay off of her!” he interrupted him.

“Who are you to talk down on me like that? Don’t you know who I am?”

“M-maestro?” Octavia softly spoke out to him, feeling a bit uneasy now.

“Stay out of this Octavia.” Maestro replied boldly.

“Ooh, a pony who steps up for the weak…my type.” Silver gave a troublemaking smile.

“For your information, she’s not weak. Secondly, you should be ashamed for talking to her in such a terrible way. Treat mares with the respect they deserve.”

“I think I know that by now…I’m her ex you low-class.”

So far, the trash-talking and bad-mouthed Unicorn known as Silver Strings became agitated that he was getting nowhere with this other guy, and that he wasn’t hurting his feelings at all.

“Well you certainly are a strong one, good show, you entertain me…what’s your name good sir?”

“None of your bucking business that’s what.”

Maestro was getting pretty worked up at Octavia’s ex now. There was one thing he could see why he was her ex…he was just a flat-out jerk to other ponies. Thinking he was superior in some way to everypony.

“Well if you’re wondering why I’m here, I just so happened to be here to visit some family who just so happens to still reside in this lovely place you call Canterlot. During my visit, I figured I’d extend my stay after I found out about this competition, and figured, what the hay, I could use another trophy or award to add to my collection.”

“You’ll be adding dust to your collection, I’m taking this competition.”

“Oh dear…Maestro?”

“No Octavia.” Maestro replied to her again.

She could see Silver String’s horn began to glow, almost like he was planning something bad to happen.

“Maestro?”

“I said no Octavia, I’ll handle this!” he gestured to her.

“Did you ever bother to look at my horn…and your stuff?” Silver chuckled.

“What?”

Maestro’s case containing his Cello was then seen floating above his head.

“You need this for your little competition that you know I will be winning in?”

Octavia then decides to do what her Grandmother would’ve done for her, and step up for Maestro, who was now getting bullied.

“You leave him alone right this instant.”

“Or what, huh? What will you do now? That’s what I thought…you’re too afraid to do anything, just like you’ve always been Octy!” Silver replied with a chuckle.
Maestro then punches him on the side of his face, as Silver Strings then loses focus to keep his instrument in the air. Maestro luckily catches it, as it luckily doesn’t hit the ground.

“Ugh, you worthless piece of trash! You’re nothing, that’s what you are!” he rubbed the side of his face as he lost balance to the blow he got from the punch.

“You’re going to regret that you stupid pony. Nopony messes with Silver Strings. This competition…” he then gets right up to Maestro’s face and speaks it slowly.

“Is mine for the taking. See you after my win Octy…let us meet again sometime dear.”

Silver Strings then grabs his violin and makes his way into and through the theatre entrance.

Maestro opens up his case to make sure nothing is out of whack or it wasn’t damaged in even the slightest.

“Uh…thanks for well…stepping up for me there, Maestro.” Octavia spoke feeling awkward in the situation now.

She felt awkward about it, knowing that she must’ve hurt Maestro’s feeling the way she acted with him weeks ago.

“Yeah, I suppose…you’re welcome. I need to get going now.” He replies, as he then shuts his case, and then faces toward the entrance, not wanting to be late to register his number before the registration table closes.

“Wait…Maestro…” she speaks out to him as his back is turned to her.

“Yes?”

He slightly turns his head back towards her.

“Uh…could you do one last favor for me by any chance perhaps?”

He then sighs, wondering what it could be now.

“What is it you need?”

“I know you must seemed bothered by me now, but well, I just wanted to say I’m sorry. I shouldn’t have been that way with you. But well…could you beat that jerk…for me?”

Maestro was a bit surprised knowing that she had asked him something to do for her personally. He turned and then looks back at her, and gives a slightly determined grin. One of somepony who was ready to put on their game face, and take the competition.

PreviousChapters Next