• Published 15th Aug 2013
  • 1,057 Views, 51 Comments

The Strings Of Life - MLPxMaestro



Life is a full broad spectrum of drama and numerous other emotions, but playing the appropriate notes in life can make a lovely sound. Everypony has their dark turns in life, and their happy improvements. But how far will somepony be willing to go?

  • ...
11
 51
 1,057

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter Thirty Five- Calming of the Storm

The Strings Of Life:

Chapter 35- Calming of the Storm:

Maestro was now being forcefully led to the nearest outpost, which by coincidence was the primary outpost that all the forces were being led from. All of the top military leaders of all of the allied races were there too. General Talon-Jay, head general of the remaining Griffon forces. General Strun, head general of the ruthless dragon military machine. Then there was General Tempest, head of the Pegasus forces. Commander and Prince Shining Armor, now the new head and recently put in charge of the Unicorn forces after their general fell in battle. Then there was last but not least the leader of the Earth Pony forces, General Orion. The Diamond Dogs kept to themselves, and were simply a force that simply stated they would help, and they’ve proven to be quite useful for slowing down the enemy and even causing some pretty unexpected deaths towards the Changelings too.

Maestro and the others that evacuated from his camp had landed, and one of the evacuees immediately told one of the commanders that they were ambushed and sabotaged by a few Changeling scouts and infiltrators that managed to very luckily sneak behind enemy lines. Mere moments after, a bell was then given a hard ring three times, then soon after dozens of Pegasi could be seen heading off into the direction of Maestro’s camp.

“Wow, they must have some kind of code to designate each outpost and camp or something. I suppose mine was perhaps number three?” Maestro wondered outloud.

“Yes it was private, we have a little code for ourselves that the Changelings cannot decipher.” A stern voice spoke up behind him.

Maestro then looked behind him, and saw an Earth Pony awfully large for his size look over him…it was General Orion.

“Private Maestro sir!” He straightened up facing him.

“At ease private, no need for that right now. Just take it easy and rest up. The Changelings have done something they’ve never done before…” the general then looked off in the direction the enemy was located.

“What would that be sir?”

“Hmph…they’ve withdrawn…and we don’t know why.” Orion replied.

The general looks back down to him, and chuckles.

“You’re not a regular Earth Pony from what I feel about you.” he smirked.

“No sir, Canterlot sir.”

“Ah, of course…my uncle used to live there when I was your age, but not anymore, no.” implying he passed away.

“My condo-”

“No condolences needed private, and we don’t have time for that. Get yourself hardened up on your personality and something to eat, and I’ll see you at the briefing in one hour.” The general then patted Maestro’s back one hard time as he passed him up making his way into the main tent located within the center of the outpost.

Roars of what sounded like thunder were merely the dragons, as they had returned back from combat, and were now resting everywhere as far as the eye could see, with that going for everypony else. Loud screeches were heard in the air as the Griffon forces flew by fast as lightning past the outposts in low altitude, enjoying their moments of showing off literally feet above some of the troops.

Then a voice cried out however as a bell rapidly rang from one of the watchtowers.

“Stray!” the voice yelled out, causing many of the soldiers to get anxious, but Maestro forgetting what that meant from what he was told at his camp.

He approached the edge of the wall and noticed a small dot closing in to their location. It was coming from his camp, but he still kept his guard up hoping it wasn’t a Changeling. But again, how could it be? Otherwise their scouts would’ve already taken it down by now?

The a few generals trotted out of the tent to hearing the alert.

“Sentry, what do you see!” Orion yelled out.

“It’s…it’s one of ours! It’s a Pegasus, mare from the looks of it sir!”

Maestro’s eyes went wide…could it be? He didn’t think she would be able to survive, but she managed to thanks to the thick smoke cloaking her way out of there.

Soon after it got very close then, the sentry then called out again.

“It’s a mare Pegasus, sir!”

“Medical personnel pronto!” the general ordered, with the sight of a dozen medics assemble and at the ready coming out of the crowd, as everypony within a given distance among the crowd around Maestro was looking at the same thing close in.

Then after only several more seconds a swoop of wings stirred up dust, as the Pegasus descended with a few flaps of her wings. It was Starlight to Maestro’s happy surprise.

“Starlight, I can’t believe it!” he shouted weaving through the traffic and the circle that formed around her. But she didn’t have a look of relief or happiness on her face, but rather disappointment and sadness within herself as she turned to look at Maestro. Her face gave a small smile to the lovely sight of him, but her smile quickly diminishing as she proceeded to turn in the folder to the general.

“Sir, the drill instructor, my uncle, wanted me to turn this in to you.”

“Thank you.” Orion said, as he took the manila folder from her grasp when she brought it out from her mouth.

“Do you need any medical assistance private?”

“No sir.” Shaking her head.

“Ah, well then…where did you come from exactly then? Wouldn’t want you to be a Changeling taking on the form of a dead Pegasus now would we?” he tried to intimidate her, but she wasn’t phased.

“I’m as real as they get sir, I am private Starlight, and my uncle was the drill sergeant for my division.”

“Which division private?” he asked her again.

“31st Equestrian division sir.” She stated with a straight face as she looked back to Maestro from the corner of her eye as he continued watching her.

“It is impossible for a Changeling to know a division…well put then private, you’re dismissed.” Orion salutes her on a job well done for coming back alive from the lightly assaulted camp.

“You deserve something for you valor for staying in a place you were told to leave, and still you cam out of there alive and safely arrived back here with not even a trace of injury upon yourself.” He turned back to her.

“Thank you sir, I wanted to help my uncle sir.”

“Of course…family is a string thing, even within the ranks. But do not let that cloud your judgment private.”

“I won’t let you down sir.” She stood straight for him. Maestro was surprised at how focused she seemed now on the matters of this war, and yet he wondered why?

Maestro had made his way into a tent that used to belong to some fellow comrades, but they fell in battle. He had then realized…his photo of Octavia managed to be by luck, tucked away in his uniform since he felt like sleeping in the thing. He brought it out and looked at her once more. Staring into those romantic purple eyes of hers, she was still enjoyable to look at even through a photo. He then hears light hoofsteps make their way to his tent, as it was Starlight.

“Starlight, what’s wrong.” He asked tucking away the photo back into his uniform.

“Nothing’s wrong, I’m just ready to get this over with.” She looked back at him with determination in her eyes, but Maestro could still see the softness within her personality.

“I’m sorry he didn’t make it Star, but he ordered us to leave, all of the instructors did.”

“Yeah…I know.” She sighed.

“They all died honorably, as they put their own lives on the line to protect us while we took off to the evac. The military police protected us with everything they had to, and they held there ground with the little ground they even had remaining.”

“I know all of that Maestro, you don’t need to get onto a lecture about it.” she replied.

“So what was that folder about?”

“It’s nothing to be concerned about, just something about me. It’s nothing bad if that’s what you’re worried about.”

“No it’s not actually, though I appreciate you being concerned about me being concerned for you.” he chuckled a bit.

Starlight lay down beside Maestro hugging onto one of his arms, forcing him to lie down in the bedsheets next to her.

“I’m still glad you’re okay though.” He said hugging her in return.

“Thanks.” She giggled lightly, gently nuzzling his belly making him jerk a tiny bit from the ticklish feeling.

“Ticklish are we?”

“Okay yes, but not right now okay? We got a job to do.” He said.

“Right…” her voice faded with a sigh.

The time continued to pass by until their briefing, until it had reached before they knew it.
The bell sounding off with loud rings one by one, signaling a briefing was about to commence.

“Hey Star…” Maestro talked softly to her, as she rest her head over his chest.

“Mmm, yeah?” Her voice sounded at ease with his comforting presence with her.

“Don’t fall asleep on me now okay?” trying to get up now.

“I wasn’t, don’t worry.”

“Well okay, but we need to get to the briefing, it’s time to get moving.” He said, making his way out of the tent now.

“Of course…let’s see what needs to be done to finish this once and for all.” She replied to him with a determinative smile.

PreviousChapters Next