• Published 15th Aug 2013
  • 1,057 Views, 51 Comments

The Strings Of Life - MLPxMaestro



Life is a full broad spectrum of drama and numerous other emotions, but playing the appropriate notes in life can make a lovely sound. Everypony has their dark turns in life, and their happy improvements. But how far will somepony be willing to go?

  • ...
11
 51
 1,057

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter Thirty Six- Disappointment

The Strings Of Life:

Chapter 36- Disappointment:

It was seven-thirty in the morning, and all of the pony forces were assembled in a mass as far as the pony eye could possibly see all around Outpost Ashburn. The remainder of the pony forces remained tuned in over their radios at all the rest of the outposts and command posts to hear the speeches made by their high-ranking generals. Everypony was in high anticipation, anxious to hear the news of the war coming to an end with this last and final all-out assault on the Changelings…but something didn’t seem right to the chain of command. According to their predictions they were right…the Changelings were now on the move and spanning out to other locations across to the other kingdoms. Of course the soldiers did not know this terrible news yet, atleast not now anyways.

Commander and Prince Shining Armor then trotted up to the microphone on the self-made podium that was made for it by other materials used to make it.

“Good morning stallions and mares in uniform!” he shouted out to the crowd in front of him and into the microphone.

“Good morning sir!” they shouted back in unison, causing the sudden shout to echo throughout the atmosphere, almost like a giant natural speaker over all of them.

“Oh I can’t wait for the news, can you?” said Maestro with Starlight standing next to her, but she however was more focused on what they had to say, and shushed him briefly.

“Shh! They’re talking.” She whispered to him, slightly turning her head towards him but still keeping her eyes locked onto the golden armored prince.

“As you all know…we are within reach of ending this war as every one of you believe.” He said again, causing the crowd to begin cheering left and right.

“But however…”

The crowds activity and noise went deathly quiet.

“I have some unfortunate news for everypony here today…” the princes voice fading off towards the end of his sentence.

“We have received multiple accounts by the other races…that the dragons must sadly have to pull out, as their kingdom is being attacked as we speak.”

Low chatter broke out among the crowd, and Maestro and Starlight felt devastated now.

“So…I’m very, very sorry to say, but…we will have to…fall back to Equestria. They will be reaching our kingdoms territory line within a few days. Don’t you see everypony? They have been distracting us all the way over here while they plan something more devious than just this…this straight-forwards attack on a daily basis.” He stated.

The chatter throughout the crowd grew louder and louder, not liking this news.

“I’m sorry…there is no other way, we must protect our kingdom at all costs, and they want to take Canterlot as their main command center for Equestria…do not let them understand?!” Shining Armor’s voice growing in anger and determination towards the enemy.

Maestro couldn’t bear to have the thought of Canterlot in a raging inferno and a war zone. It was his home, his family’s home, and even his future family’s home too. He could not let them down, no matter the cost.

“My home.” He mumbled to himself.

“Your what?” Starlight asked him.

“Canterlot…my home…it’s under threat. But not just for me, I have family back there and I even have…” he then stopped himself.

“No need to continue, it’s okay Maestro, they’ll be fi-”

“No they won’t be fine don’t you see?!” his voice raised through the crowd causing several ponies to look back at him with a disapproving look.

“Yeah look at me like that again, Canterlot’s my damn home damn it!” he shouted to one of the stallions giving him a disapproving look.

“Shut up kid! The prince is talking!” one of them intervened.

Starlight holding him back from approaching the stallion.

“Hey, we don’t need that here got it? Cut it out right now.” She stated boldly to him.

Frustrated and now worried sick over his home being attacked within just a mere couple of days, his mind could not take anymore words coming out of Shining Armor’s mouth as he continued speaking.

“I’ll be back in my tent.”

“Maestro, hey wait a moment.” She raised one of her hoofs back to him, insisting he stay with her. He was then making his way through the crowd back to his tent, and out of sight from her.
The speeches continued as Maestro and Starlight were sitting back at their tent, hearing the speeches half and half. It was at the same time, partly outside of their tent and partly over their radio channel.

He was then spotted by her, looking at his picture of his lover once more.

“Octavia’s her name right?” she approached him looking over his shoulder at the sight of a gorgeous Earth Pony smiling, with him following it with a nod.

“She’s so pretty…how’d you get so lucky?” she asked.

“Don’t know really…we just I suppose had a connection that seemed to stay with us. We both play Cello as our passion that’s for one, then for another thing she’s taught me some things, and that I’ve taught her a few life lessons myself too.” He answered continuing to look at the photo.

“She’s expecting our daughter within the next few months too.”

“Oh wow, congratulations.”

“Thanks, but that’s what I’m so worried over.”

He turns looking up at her square in the eye.

“I’m going to be a dad, and this is how life repays me? Repaying me with a sudden and expected attack on the very city that will be housing my family and even my real mother within the next few days as they’re predicted to hit?! You have any idea how bad and worried this makes me? What if I don’t make it back before the attack happens!?” he shouts at her.

Starlight stood there taking it all in managing to keep her composure through her newly hardened personality, though she still of course certainly had her soft spots.

“Then what are you waiting for then?” she says.

Maestro hearing this made him once again turn back around facing her blocking out the sunlight that seeped through the crack of the tents entrance casting his shadow over her body.

“W-what did you say?”

“I said…what…are…you…waiting for? Get going then.”

“I can’t just leave you know, I’ll be dishonorably discharged.” He replied.

“My point exactly, we have no choice but to wait for our new orders from our generals.” She said cleverly.

“I know, and I need to get back to Canterlot now!” frustration could be heard taking form within his voice.

“I’m really sorry Maestro, but I promise we’ll still manage to get there before it happens, okay?”

“We’d have to leave out tomorrow if I want to get back there in time though.” He said.

“Well then I bet we’ll be out of here by then…atleast me and you will. Remember? Odd divisions leave first, keep that in mind.” She replied.

“Yeah, I suppose you’re right.” he looked away and out of the little crack of the entrance to the tent.

“Then okay, I’ll see if I can have a word with Orion, and maybe he’ll let us go a little early due to your situation. You may actually be able to, since it’s the heart of Equestria, and out actually live there. You may actually by default have to leave out earlier than everypony else.” She realized, making his face light up slightly.

“Yeah, you’re right come to think of it.”

“See what I mean? No worries, I bet you’ll even be out of here by noon.” She said to him. Assuring him that time might now be on his side.

They both then heard a loud roar and applause erupt from the crowd, signaling that the last words have just been addressed to their forces. They hadn’t heard a word about Princess Celestia and Princess Luna for a while now. Apparently they had to turn around and head back to Canterlot to prepare for the invasion. The invasion that happened during the royal wedding wouldn’t even hold a candle to what was about to happen to Canterlot and chances were that Cloudsdale and even Ponyville would be brought into the invasion. This invasion would be considered the royal Canterlot wedding and multiply those forces times a hundred or even higher due to the fact Cloudsdale and Ponyville were near Canterlot.

More words however sounded off from General Orion himself over the microphone one last time.

“Last words I must address to all of the stallions and mares who live in Canterlot, Cloudsdale, and Ponyville!”

Maestro’s ears immediately perked straight up as he hastefully made his way out fo the tent to hear it better.

“Any and all pony forces that live within these three locations shall be leaving out by this afternoon. So that gives you one day to prepare and ready up by the time they arrive to your location. Many of you will die when this happens, as we estimate these forces heading to Canterlot will not be your usual grunts on the frontlines, but more highly skilled and deadlier than the normal ones. After all, they are in fact invading the heart of our beloved kingdom, so you will and shall show them no mercy! Do I make myself clear maggots?!” Orion exclaimed in his large and stern voice.

“Sir yes sir!” the crowd roared back at him with those three loud words shouted back in his direction.

“Did you hear that? You’re going back home today after lunch!” Starlight said happy for him.

“Yeah I know…thanks.” He didn’t seem as thrilled as she thought he would seem to her?

“What’s wrong now?” she wondered to him.

“Well…what about you though? You don’t even live anywhere near these places.”

“I know that, but don’t you worry about me okay? I’ll be fine where I go. We’re not the ones truly being invaded.”

“Yeah, but it’s not like you won’t be in their path.” He replied.

“True, but I promise you like I said, I’ll be fine. You just focus on what needs to be done over there where you live okay? Focus on what drives you the most when you’re focusing on something. Think of all the ponies you’re fighting for and the ones you love and that love you, and make that your weapon. Whether they may be lovers or mere strangers, the fate of Equestria rests in your hoofs when the tables are set where you live.” she states to him, wanting him to realize that perhaps that what would occur at Canterlot and the other neighboring towns and cities was itself in fact the final stand and the final push on the enemy. If Canterlot fell…their war was over…and everypony knew that.

A pony was then heard over the radio after Orion stated his last words just moments ago.

“Attention all Equestrian forces who live within the Canterlot, Cloudsdale, and Ponyville sectors…please report to the flight docks, and your chariots will be waiting for you to head back home. First come, first serve basis…good luck everypony, and Celestia’s speed.” The radio then was heard with a static click signaling the transmission was over.

Maestro then quickly made it to the bed with the photo of Octavia being snatched up by him as it lied there on the neat bedsheets.

“Good luck Maestro…I’ll miss you.” Starlight ran up to him with a tight hug.
“You’ll always be the sister I always wanted Star. You’re a kinder and more caring mare than you perhaps know.” He then kissed her cheek with the final farewell, as he galloped out of the tent making his way over to the take-off docks as fast as he could. Starlight watched him gallop though pony traffic with a good balance of agility and speed for an Earth Pony.

“I love you big brother…take care.” She said herself; a single tear ran down her cheek but with a smile nonetheless shining hope from her face. Would this be the last time she would ever see him? Her mind worried about such a thought as that, considering how much he cared for his family over there. But she also knew that if she even wanted even a chance to see him again. But she knew what she had to do for her hometown, and it was plain and simple to her…getting the job done.

PreviousChapters Next