• Published 16th Jul 2013
  • 528 Views, 20 Comments

Ponies All Day-Writing Challenge - ThunderTempest



The end result of a writing challenge, in which I wrote 48 TMP prompts in a single 24 hour period.

  • ...
4
 20
 528

PreviousChapters Next
03:30-04:00 "Little Reminders"

Daring Do, the popular adventure series by Ink Blot, was fictional, but that wasn’t to say that the character Daring Do didn’t exist. The pony whom Ink Blot had based Daring off was actually named Daring Do, and she was a professor of history at Manehatten University, and roommates with Ink Blot. Full credit for this was always given in the preface of the book. But the real life Daring Do was almost nothing like her fictional counterpart. She certainly didn’t go on adventures or recover lost artifacts.

Daring Do, history professor and nearsighted to all Tartarus, stumbled into her house, and dropped her saddlebag full of test papers by the door. She took a moment to brush a few leaves off her brown coat, and then the pegasus moved into the kitchen, where a pile of sticky notes in Ink Blot’s horrific script greeted her.

“Daring-Ink Blot here.
New book out. [badly drawn smiley face]
Don’t forget to pick it up, and I’ll sign it for you!
You’re a wonderful inspiration! I don’t think I can ever thank you enough.
Ink Blot.”

Daring sighed, and peeled off the note and stuck it to the fridge. The next note was also from Ink Blot, but it was much simpler.

“Don’t drink the milk. It’s gone off.”

Rolling her eyes behind her glasses, Daring pulled the jug of milk out of the fridge, and poured the foul-smelling contents down the sink, before rinsing it out more fully. The next few notes were just various reminders about Ink Blot’s signing times and appearances, as well as a standing invitation for Daring to join her, to sign some books, maybe give a speech about how ‘real history isn’t like how Ink Blot portrays it’, that it wasn’t all action, adventure and dungeons. Daring had never taken her friend up on her offer. Sighing, the pegasus professor retrieved her saddlebags, and headed to her office, to commence a long night of marking her student’s end of semester exams.

The professor’s office at home was rather simple. A bookcase of reference books, a couch and a desk with a lamp were all she needed. More sticky notes, this time in Daring’s own elegant writing, adorned a board beside her desk.
‘Don’t forget, exams due back by the 18th.’
‘Chancellor’s dinner next month-not attending.’
‘Remember, final year students NOT allowed to conduct independant research without supervision-remind faculty of this at next meeting. Do not want a repeat of the Garden Incident.’

Daring fell asleep at her desk that night, and was still there when Ink Blot got back from her late night signing. The unicorn author smiled at her friend, and wrote her a new sticky note, before hauling the pegasus over to the couch in the office, put there for this exact reason.
“Daring-Don’t fall asleep at your desk, silly. Ink Blot.”

Author's Note:

Written for Prompt #198: “What Not To Dare”
Daring Do’s Daring Don’ts!

PreviousChapters Next