• Published 16th Jul 2013
  • 521 Views, 20 Comments

Ponies All Day-Writing Challenge - ThunderTempest



The end result of a writing challenge, in which I wrote 48 TMP prompts in a single 24 hour period.

  • ...
4
 20
 521

PreviousChapters Next
21:00-21:30 "When In Doubt, Chaos"

Dear Princess Celestia. That was always a good start. Except it was all wrong. She was a princess now, too. How was she supposed to address her? Celestia? But that felt even more wrong. Maybe she could come back to the greeting, and work on the actual lesson.

Today, I learned that Pinkie Pie clones are just as unstable as their creator. No, too obvious, and not enough friendship. How about, ‘Today, I learned that all things go bang if you apply enough energy’. No, she was supposed to be learning about friendship, not explosions, and she really doubted that the Princess. ‘Pinkie Pie can create amorphous life forms from nothing but eggs, flour, sugar and liquid Rainbow?” No, that wouldn’t do either, and besides, she’d known that for years. She was also pretty sure that liquid rainbow was a controlled substance, and she didn’t want to get Pinkie in trouble. Or at least, more trouble than she could eat her way out of. ‘Today I learned not to write for twenty four hours straight?’ No, she’d done that before. And still, not enough friendship. Ah-ha! She had it! The perfect lesson. Today, I learned that no matter how strange or wierd the day gets, Your friends will be the ones right beside you, laughing alongside you, and will bail you out of jail if necessary. Perfect. Now, just to work it into a letter. Why did this have to be so hard now! It was so much easier in her first year in Ponyville.

‘that was because you were a social recluse to whom even the slightest revelation about friendship was new information’, her mind whispered back. Twilight sighed, and collapsed over her desk.

“I’m not even sure I can summarize the day’s events into a letter. I don’t even remember past the second giant cookie dough dragon. Well, at least I know what Pinkie Pie’s brain is like all the time,” Twilight muttered to herself. It had been a weird day. Even by Twilight’s rapidly adjusting weirdness scale. Before Ponyville, a weird day was when she only read four books instead of five. Now, for a day to be classed as ‘weird’ it would need to involve at least one construct made entirely out of baking dough. Or maybe Discord. But today had gone off the end of the Twilight Weird-O-Meter and into ‘absurd’ territory. Twilight decided to abandon the letter, in favour of easier pursuits.

“I’ll write it tomorrow, when the little pink ducks stop flying around my head.”

‘Wait a minute...,’ she thought.

“Discord!” Twilight was out of bed and at her desk in under a second.

‘Dear Princess Celestia,
I think everything that may or may not have happened today is Discords’ fault, because I currently have a miniature family of pink ducks circling my horn.
Your faithful student, Twilight Sparkle.’ Twilight snapped the scroll together, and bolted down the stairs, yelling as she did so.

“Spiike!”

Author's Note:

Written for Prompt #148: “The Well Runs Dry”
She has no idea whatsoever how to write—or what to write—for this friendship report.

PreviousChapters Next