• Published 16th Jul 2013
  • 526 Views, 20 Comments

Ponies All Day-Writing Challenge - ThunderTempest



The end result of a writing challenge, in which I wrote 48 TMP prompts in a single 24 hour period.

  • ...
4
 20
 526

PreviousChapters Next
07:30-08:00 "That One Day"

Rainbow Dash hated the day after Winter Wrap Up. She hated it with a passion. It was also a safe bet that most of the weather team felt the same way. Well, except maybe Ditzy Doo. Rainbow wasn’t sure that Ditzy could ever hate anything. But it was a safe bet to say that it wasn’t her favourite thing ever, though.

The reason that practically every pegasus in Ponyville, Fluttershy included, hated the day after Winter Wrap Up wasn’t the oncoming storm of requests for ‘more sunshine’, ‘Less sunshine’ or any other farmer wanting to make the slightest adjustment to the weather for fear their crops might not grow. It was the fog.

Fog, for earth ponies and unicorns, was merely a mild distraction, and an occasional inconvenience at worst. Fog for pegasi was like trying to swim through peat, and that was at best. Their natural instincts and magic told them it was a cloud, so their bodies treated it as such. And the morning after Winter Wrap Up always had a big thick layer of fog over the town. As such, no pegasi ever ventured outside their homes on the day after Winter Wrap Up until the sun had warmed the air enough for the fog to dissapate. Worse was the fact that despite repeated explanations from Rainbow, Fluttershy, and the entire weather team at some point or another, nopony in town ever seemed to remember this, and were complaining to the mayor that because of the weather team’s laziness, their crops might be damaged. At least Applejack had wised up pretty quick when Rainbow explained it to her, and managed to put two and two together for all the other years, wondering why she’d never seen a single pegasus in the morning of that day. Usually, the fog stopped pretty quick into spring, but that first day and the first week, to a lesser extent, were abhorred by every pegasus in Ponyville, so they usually just gave up and stayed inside all day for the first day of Spring, and let the weather handle itself. This was also why, after Twilight’s ascension into an Alicorn, and telling Rainbow that she’d still be in Ponyville for Winter Wrap Up that year, Rainbow had just grinned, and instantly decided that she wasn’t going to tell Twilight about the fog problem. She had also quickly clued the rest of the weather team and Fluttershy in on the plan. Not surprisingly, they had all agreed.

Author's Note:

Written for Prompt #308: “Spring Is Here” (Theme Week, Day Three)
How ponies spend the day after Winter Wrap Up.

PreviousChapters Next