• Published 16th Jul 2013
  • 526 Views, 20 Comments

Ponies All Day-Writing Challenge - ThunderTempest



The end result of a writing challenge, in which I wrote 48 TMP prompts in a single 24 hour period.

  • ...
4
 20
 526

PreviousChapters Next
10:00-10:30 "Here We Go Again"

Vinyl Scratch gulped as she stared at the massive double doors that lead to the grand central concert hall of the Canterlot Conseratory. It had been years since she was here. She had thought it would be years more before she finally had to come back. Make no mistake, Vinyl knew she would eventually have to. She may have been a DJ, and her passion may have lain with electronica, but music of all kinds sent a thrill and a chill through her very body and soul. Gently, oh so gently, she pushed open the door, and entered the hall proper. She could hear some poor student practicing on a violin on the main stage, and briefly paused to listen as she neared the stage itself.

“You’re slow on the arpeggio,” said Vinyl, when the musician stopped for a moment, “It’s supposed to be faster than that. Do you mind?” the student, a young earth pony, shook her head, and hoofed her violin over to Vinyl, who placed it against her neck, memories flooding back.

“I’m kinda rusty, but I think it’s supposed to go about this fast.” Vinyl played a part of the same song the student had been practicing earlier, at about 20 beats per minute faster.
“It’s one of the most difficult things about that piece, that arpeggio. Keep practicing it slow, and gradually speed it up, ‘K?”

The young mare nodded, and took her violin back from Vinyl.

“Not even back for ten minutes, Miss Scratch, and you’re already correcting my star pupil,” said a rolling bass voice from side stage, and a large pony made himself visible. Vinyl gulped. This was Bass Tenor, the best music instructor in the Conservatory, and the pony who Vinyl needed to see.

“Though I must admit, I was wondering when she would pick up on her mistake. And it is good to see that filthy noise you call music hasn’t completely ruined your ear.”

Vinyl’s coat bristled, and her teeth bared, as they always did when somepony insulted her music. A hoof pawed restlessly at the ground, and her horn lowered.

Bass Tenor actually looked nervous for a second at Vinyl’s aggressive reaction, and the earth pony student scampered off stage, hiding behind one of the thick velvet curtains. Then Bass Tenor laughed, a rolling, booming sound that echoed around the empty theatre.

“It’s good you haven’t lost that backbone, Miss Scratch. Now, I assume that you’re here because you do actually want to finish your course? Not run off again?”

“Make no mistake, Tenor,” Vinyl jabbed a hoof into the larger pony’s chest “Insult my choice in music again, and you’ll wake up tied to the flagpole. Being a DJ is the first and foremost thing I want to do, but somepony convinced me to actually come back and do my last year. So, Let’s get started, shall we?”[TIME]

Author's Note:

Written for Prompt #80: “Back in Session”
Somepony returns to learn.

PreviousChapters Next