• Published 16th Jul 2013
  • 527 Views, 20 Comments

Ponies All Day-Writing Challenge - ThunderTempest



The end result of a writing challenge, in which I wrote 48 TMP prompts in a single 24 hour period.

  • ...
4
 20
 527

PreviousChapters Next
11:30-12:00 "Family is What You Make It"

Twilight Sparkle sat in the spa bath at Ponyville Day Spa, and Rarity sat relaxing opposite her.

“Oh, this was just what I needed. Thank you, dear Twilight. Words cannot express exactly how good this feels.”

“Well, I’m glad you like it. It certainly sounded like you needed it after your trip to Canterlot. You never did explain why you went up there, anyway.”

“Didn’t I? I could have sworn I told you.”

“No, you didn’t,” said Twilight, “If you want to share, go ahead, but only if you want to.”

Rarity giggled, “Twilight, you’re as bad as Fluttershy is at disguising your interest. Honestly, I don’t mind. So, you recall that I told you last week over lunch that I found my father getting drunk in the Drunken Horseshoe?”

“Yes, I remember.”

“Well, before I managed to pull him home, he...said some things.”

“Oh no! Not hurtful things, I hope.”

“Well,” said Rarity, putting a hoof to her chin, “That depends on what you define as ‘hurtful’. But most of it was just drunken rambling, but there were one or two things that piqued my interest. So I decided to go up to Canterlot and do a little snooping around. Turns out, both myself and Sweetie Belle are adopted,” Rarity finished with a little shrug.

Twilight’s brain temporarily stopped.

“And you’re...Okay with that?” she asked.

“Why wouldn’t I be?” asked Rarity in return, “My father may not have sired me, my mother may not have carried me, but they are still my parents, embarrassing as they are. Still, I did manage to discover my actual birth parents. Not that it helps me any, but it is always nice to know these things.”

“Oh,” said Twilight, “I guess that’s a very calm way of looking at it.”

Rarity sighed, “My birth parents are Dawn Shimmer and Twinkle Toes, Twilight.”
Twilight blinked, “How?”

“Dear, it was written all over your face. Have you never wondered why you never win a single hand of poker on game night?”

Twilight sank below the surface of the pool, causing Rarity to break into a small fit of the giggles.

“Hey,” Twilight began once she surfaced again, “Is Dawn Shimmer a stallion? Blue coat, slivery mane, three sparkles for a cutie mark?”

“I do believe he is. Why?”

“He’s my cousin.”

“Well,” said Rarity, “In that case, I will not tell you where Sweetie Belle came from.”

Author's Note:

Written for Prompt #77: “All in the Family”
Two of the Mane Six have just learned that they’re related.

PreviousChapters Next