• Published 6th Jun 2013
  • 14,502 Views, 1,218 Comments

Remembering Garry's Mod - BioChemicalWolfGear



Something decided I was off my usual path. That I wasn't where I was supposed to be. Who am I to go against the word of a god?

  • ...
62
 1,218
 14,502

Chapter 8

Spyglass and I were side by side walking out the back door of Canterlot General. I looked up as the sun beat down on my face, and blocked its rays with my right arm. As I observed the almost serene hospital park, its simplicity amazed me. The benches were evenly spaced across a cobblestone path that wound around a small lake with a fountain in the center. There were shrubs and oak trees that then created an immersion effect on the surrounding area as it felt almost chaotic but planned. Making the illusion that you’re in a small forest. I saw doctors walking patients who seemed to be having trouble with walking. I assumed the area was used for physical therapy.

“What are you thinking?” Spyglass asked, off to my right.

I looked down and put my hand down, while idly taking notice of the tray of food in my left hand being balanced expertly. I smiled at her and then looked back ahead at the oak forest yard. It was lined by hedges to keep patients from leaving.

“Just how impressive it is,” came my simple reply.

I looked back down at the tray in my left hand. By now, most of the food was gone as I snacked on it during our walk through the hospital. Of course, I talked the whole way too. Nurse Redheart followed us to the back door until she spotted the tray almost empty, and shook her head amusedly.

“Why do you think that?” Spyglass continued, responding to my answer.

“Well.” I started, and picked up the last food item on the tray. An apple. “It’s because of how well-structured the place seems, I guess.” I said admiring the park.

I picked up the apple with my right hand and gently placed down the tray on the bench to my left that was symmetrical to a bench on my right. Then I took a bite out of the apple.

“Because of how harmonious it all seems?” asked Spyglass a little too invested in the question.

I thought about it, and decided to give her the answer that I believe. “No. It’s just so chaotic.” I looked back at her to see her frown.

“Oh,” she looked away, still frowning.

“Is that what you want to know?” I asked. “How loyal I am to one aspect of magic?” I remembered the slight bitterness toward Discord that others had displayed.

She looked away trying to keep from making eye contact with me as she spoke, “No.”

I continued to stare at her for a little bit before smiling and responding, “I like the chaotic nature of this park, because it feels closer to my own world's nature.” I looked back out at the park and at its fountain. “It’s like the lake has been tamed, but the trees are scattered and uncared for, like a real forest. And the path even has to wind around the trees, making it seem like you’re taking a path through a forest.” I said.

“Oh. Is that what chaos is to you?” she asked.

“Nah. Chaos is a descriptive word,” I spoke frankly. “It has no superior meaning to me, nor any secret purpose. Same thing as harmony,” I added trying to lead her off of the topic.

“…So what word has meaning to you?” she asked, turning to quirk an eyebrow at me.

I thought about it for a few moments before I smiled at my choice, “Creating.”

She continued to look at me oddly, her eyebrow still raised.

“Come on.” I stated, ignoring her face. “Let’s go sit down somewhere.”

I walked forward, which made her follow me. We walked to the right and went down the winding path to the far side of the lake. I threw the apple behind a bush when Spyglass wasn’t looking. Along the way, we passed by some thorned flowers that I took a note of. I found them dangerous to be so close to a path that patients walk on. I became slightly worried about them and slowed my pace as we passed them. Unfortunately, or fortunately, Spyglass took notice and looked at the throne bush of flowers.

“What’s wrong with the bush?” She asked.

“Well,” I hesitated as we stopped to look at it. “It seems a bit dangerous for a hospital park.” I tilted my head to the side giving it a once over.

I noticed how ugly the purple flowers on the throne bush were. It made the bright forest around it seem less attractive. I pondered it a few moments more before noticing a small break in the leaves that held an anomaly. Through the small separation of leaves, was what appeared to be an eyeball. I took out my tool gun, set it to remove, and pointed it at the bush. Pulling the trigger, a familiar sound fired from the gun and the bush disappeared, revealing a small creature I had never seen before.

“Hey!” Spyglass shouted at it. “This land is under the protection of the diarchy of Equestria!” she bellowed, her tone entering 'soldier mode.' “You’re trespassing on royal territory and private land. You of the griffin Empire are in violation of a trust treaty between Equestria and Geodea.”

The supposed griffin got into a battle ready stance as he puffed up his feathers and splayed his claws apart while on all fours. He leaned forward pointing his beak at Spyglass. While Spyglass in turn lit up her horn and lowered it slightly at the griffin. I felt as if it was my duty to stop this before, it got out of hand.

“You two are like children fighting over a ball.” I mused loudly.

They both didn’t distract themselves, only giving me a cursory glance of the eye for only a moment. Spyglass seemed to be better trained and had her attention on both of us ever so slightly. I could tell as she moved a little to the right so I’d be in her peripherals.

“Oh please, if you two fight, here and now, it’ll look unfavorably toward whichever kingdom you two represent.” Neither of them seemed phased. “So, if the griffins want to know more about me, and not make an enemy of an unknown entity, I suggest you relax,” I spoke, mostly to the griffin. Regarding Spyglass again I spoke, “And if Equestria wants me not to sink their cities.”

Her response was to completely falter on her stance and look at me with a slightly horrified expression.

“Then you should do what I say,” I finished darkly.

“Blake, you wouldn’t do that,” she replied warily, and completely forgetting the griffin.

The griffin eyed her as easy prey, but reconsidered when I shot a look at him, and he backed off. But his wings were still splayed open aggressively.

“Now I’m ready to let you leave and forget about this.” I regarded the griffin. “But before that happens, stay on my right side. And if you try to leave…” I paused slyly. “I’ll shake my finger… very disapprovingly.” I joked with him.

But it came out a little more hostile than I intended, and he gave me once over. Then he nodded hesitantly and moved to my right while Spyglass moved to my left. Their movements were tense and I made sure they were both in my peripheral vision, before continuing down the cobblestone path.

“So,” I looked to the griffin. Hoping to make idle conversation I asked, “What’s your name?”

He didn’t respond and looked away slightly.

“Ok. My name’s Blake. I’m a builder and a politician. I think,” I said awkwardly. “But I’ve built things that have awed and scared many before. I like building.” I then admitted, “I can do things that others can only dream of. And whenever I build something that can fly or shoot. I always feel really good.” I said to them both.

“Blake.” I turned to find Spyglass looking at me. “Do you really think talking to a griffin is really wise?” she asked, trying to sow distrust between me and him.

“Yes. I did talk to you, did I not?” I said giving her a smile.

“Yeah but, I’m not dangerous,” she shot back, her tone guarded.

“Yeah, you were,” I replied. I pointed to the griffin and added, “For all I knew, you and all the other ponies may have been just as untrusting as this guy.”

“Yeah, but we thought you were-”

“Dangerous?” I finished for her, and then looked at the griffin. Continuing, I countered, “So did the griffins. I just didn’t start off in one of their cages. Just yours.”

She looked away slightly ashamed. I noticed the griffin had his head tilted toward our conversation.

“So again,” I stated calmly, turning back to the griffin. “What’s your name?”

He didn’t respond until several seconds later. “Helga.”

“Uh wow, I didn’t know you were a girl.” I apologized.

She snapped her head to the left and gave me a displeased glare. She was standing tall and I took into account that she was just a little bigger than Spyglass. Her muscles rippled across her frame and held a very intimidating posture.

“You really thought she was a guy?” asked Spyglass.

“Hey, I’ve never been to this world, ok? How can you tell who’s what anyway?” I asked.

“Well for ponies it’s the shape of their muzzle,” she replied. “griffins, it’s the color of the beak.” She pointed at the female griffin's nose. “It would be a light brown if she were male. Also, she’d be a foot or so taller.”

“Damn, griffin’s are beast yo.” I complimented her.

She looked away and huffed loudly, “We could say the same for you, monster.”

“Ooh, sassy,” I joked sarcastically. “But in all seriousness. When I said griffins were beast, I meant strong and cool. That’s what that expression means when I say it.” I explained. “Now if I say my baby blue unicorn buddy here was beast, I’d totally be lying,” I added, snickering lightly.

“What?” She asked confused and they both looked at me strangely.

“What? You’re an adorable little unicorn.” I replied affectionately. “I just want to pet you!” I continued in a babying voice and got down to my knees.

She tried to back away before I forced her into a hug. “Cutie cutie cutie cutie.” I cooed loudly while shaking her side to side.

“Le'go!” she cried out unhappily.

The griffin however was laughing at her horror.

“Ha!” I rounded on the griffin accusingly. She shut herself up as I declared, “I knew you had feelings!”

“Uh, n-no I don’t!” she looked away as if she was trying to give that impression the whole time. After a short time, she spoke confusedly, “Wait, what?”

“What?” I said in equal confusion. “I wanted you to lighten up a little,” I explained. “It’s because I want you and me to talk. Like my little unicorn here.” I motioned to Spyglass.

Your little unicorn?” exclaimed an upset Spyglass. Her brow was furrowed angrily and she jabbed my left leg. “You don’t own me!”

I flinched my leg forward after she jabbed it and took two steps in front of them before turning around and walking backward.

“Oooo two sassy ladies.” I sang. “Well, you’re still cute.”

She groaned and facehoofed. Which I didn’t really expect to be a thing, until I saw her actually do it. I thought Blueblood did that by chance. But I looked over to the griffin, who I was trying to gain favor with, and she was continuing to smile, even if it was just ever so slightly.

“Now is there anywhere we can sit?” I asked spinning around while walking and strafing down the cobblestone path.

I spied a bench a short distance away and started walking towards it. When I got to it, I sat down in the middle and held my arms to each side of the bench and gave a wink to both Helga and Spyglass. They rolled their eyes and walked to the bench, but sat far enough away that I couldn’t put my arms around them. When I noticed that, I sighed depressingly and put my arms down. Helga ended up on my right while Spyglass to my left. They both looked at me with smiles on their faces.

“Ah well. I at least got you together.” I noted, looking between them. “You notice how earlier you two were about to start trading blows, then suddenly five minutes later you’re sitting on a bench with a really weird guy?” I asked with a sly smile. Leaning back, I answered my own question. “Mission accomplished.”

I could see each of their faces and they looked between each other and myself with confusion.

“What are you doing?” asked Helga.

“I dunno…” I replied and noticed a bird fly over us.

I sat up and looked out at the lake and saw the fountain spewing water up in the air and back into the lake. I stared at that for a moment and a random thought came to mind. Oxygen saturation. I began looking for signs of fish and noticed some popping up out of the water on the other side of the lake.

“You see that small fountain, on the lake?” I asked, pointing it out.

They both looked to where I was pointing.

“Yeah?” the griffin replied, unimpressed.

“It has no artistic value in this park.” I continued. Turning to face them again I added, “So that means it serves a technical purpose.”

“Uh, fountains are supposed to look cool, not serve a technical purpose.” Spyglass replied confidently.

“Up bup bup!” I exclaimed, shaking my finger and giving her a sly smile. “Oxygen saturation is its purpose.”

“What?” asked the griffin confusedly.

I looked back at the lake. “That fountain is there so oxygen can dissolve into the water. When the falling water hits the surface of the lake, the oxygen between them will try to escape, sometimes it doesn’t, and in the end it dissolves into the water. This allows fish to use their gills to take in oxygen from the water, and allow them to breathe.” I informed them.

“I don’t believe you.” Helga flatly stated, giving me a deadpan expression.

“I say you’re wrong.” Spyglass added with a smile.

“Ok then, you think I’m wrong. That’s ok.” I said slyly.

She gave me a confused stare and then gave me half lidded eyes with an unimpressed frown. “You’re messing with me, aren’t you?”

“Well...” I left the statement hanging while I looked back to the fountain.

I remained quiet as I watched the fountain do its noisy work. The griffin named Helga kept looking between me and Spyglass as we remained quiet. Spyglass herself seemed to become more uncomfortable as time went on. Helga also began to act a little more paranoid as she looked around swiftly, as if trying to catch an ambush before it starts. But after several minutes of no one talking she gave up her anxiety and just sat with us.

Spyglass seemed the least restful of the two of them. She couldn’t stop looking back at Helga as the silence persisted, her paranoia getting the better of her. Was the relationship between their nations so brittle, that they’d be paranoid about being around each other? I leaned back on the bench and took out my Toolgun. Helga watched with interest but Spyglass spoke up.

“What’s that?” she asked.

“A Toolgun,” I responded. “I use it to build things and play things.” I smiled honestly.

“What kind of things?” suspiciously asked Helga.

“Well generally, I play music or build cars that can drive themselves. I can build things that fly, or even make everyday objects weld together and form a basic shape of something.” I explained.

“So how valuable is that?” asked Helga eyeing my Toolgun.

“Getting greedy griffin?” Commented Spyglass irritably.

The griffin gave her a dirty look. “Maybe you should be more concerned about the quality of your life than practical issues, pony,” she spat venomously.

“Girls.” I said calmly, grabbing their attention. “I’d rather you not fight like that.” I pulled the trigger.

*Puft*

“It will ruin the moment.” I grinned.

*Puft*

I switched to my advanced wiring tool and hooked up the sound emitter and the numpad input. Strangely enough, I was still able to manipulate the inputs. When I wired the sound emitter A's input to the numpad's output, I had the ability to activate and deactivate the simple device.

Hl2_song23_suitsong3.mp3 was the songs official name in the console.

When it activated, both Helga the griffin, and Spyglass the light blue unicorn looked at it with awe. Or maybe just increased awe as they were looking at it astonished that I created matter right in front of their eyes. The numpad itself was tiny, one that looked like a small calculator, while the sound emitter looked like a rusty old soup can missing its label.

My companions looked at it with interest as it played music. They at first gave it strange looks as if it was the weirdest alien since me. But as the song continued, they accepted the can’s capabilities and began to observe the numpad input, as it was currently the most alien object to them. Helga got up and walked toward it and gave it a questioning gaze. Hesitantly, Spyglass did the same, and before she even got close I decided to remove the chips.

The song abruptly stopped and they scanned the ground for where they would have gone before looking back at my smiling face. My grin was unmatched in shiftiness. They both scowled disapprovingly at me. I laughed out loud and stood up in front of them.

“So, let’s go back inside.” I commented pointing at the hospital.

“Ahem. If you don’t mind,” interjected a masculine voice from behind me.

I spun around and caught the stallion that stood behind me. He was a unicorn with a white coat wearing faux dress clothes. His mustache was impressive, and he held measuring tape in his right hoof that was lifted off the ground and tucked in toward his chest. His eyes were slightly closed and held a fancy posture to him.

“I’m here for your measurements sir. The prince sent me, per your agreement with him,” he said simply.

“Oh right.” I awkwardly asked, “Ah well, is there a place you want to do this, or is right here fine?”

“Right here will be fine. Now please hold your…” he paused for a moment to think, “arms out wide.”

I spread my hands out and put away my Toolgun. I then slightly spread my legs so he’d be able to take measurements of my legs without asking. He silently begun his work and summoned a clipboard that he started writing down on each time he took a measurement. I looked at Helga as she came back into view by going around my left while scanning the ground. When she went behind the bench her face lit up and her head went down below the bench. I was curious as to what she was doing until she came back up with a decent sized rock in her left talon.

She gave me a conspiratorial grin as she held up the rock like a trophy. She stared at me, waiting for my approval. I realized she was probably going to throw it, and possibly at the guy taking my measurements. But then she righted herself and used her other arm and talon to make a straight line with her arm. Her clenched fist was pointing directly at me, and her top talon lifted up as if it were an iron sight. I realized almost too late that her claw was held back primed to throw the rock. She whisked her talon with the rock forward as if to throw it.

I instinctively flinched but after a second I noticed I didn’t feel the rock hit me.

“Ahem, Mr. Blake, I need you to be absolutely still while I take these.” Said the stallion in a suit.

“Uh, sorry about that. Just you know, griffin trouble,” I replied looking at Helga who was innocently whistling.

“I’ma get you.” I warned her.

“All right. All done,” he stated with a confident smile.

I sighed in relief and prayed I would never be at my companions' mercy again. Helga already proved to be shifty. I turned back to Spyglass to see that she hadn’t moved and was just smiling while looking away from Helga and I. She probably laughed at Helga’s shenanigans but looked away, to throw me off. I turned back to see the stallion quickly trotting away down the path back through the hospital park doors. Helga returned to Spyglass’s side and looked at me indifferently.

“I can go now right?” she asked irritably.

“Oh, I thought we were having a good time.” I shot back slyly.

“Yeah, it was interesting…” she admitted. “But I don’t want to be in pony territory longer than I have to be.”

“Oh,” I rubbed the back of my head. “Well yeah, you can leave. That was really all I wanted. And all that I hoped for.”

“Wait you’re letting her leave?” Spyglass asked incredulously. “We need to report her to the guard! I don’t care if I walked with her, she’s still trespassing.”

“Spyglass, you are the guard.” I responded. “And I’d really appreciate it if you’d just this once let them get away.” I said numbly.

She looked at me with a studying gaze before frowning. “Fine, but only this once,” she gave in disapprovingly. “But Blake,” she looked at me sadly. “Were you really going to sink Equestria’s cities if I didn’t let her stay?”

“Yeah. And would you really make an entire nation your enemy?” skeptically asked Helga.

I looked between them with a grin. “No and no. Even if a nation was my enemy, I wouldn’t really fight them anyway. And I don’t have the power to sink cities. Maybe... delete buildings one by one, but not sink it. And before I could finish, I’m sure someone would have stopped me. I might as well just raid a coffee shop and run off.” I commented.

I looked back at Helga who gave me an incredulous look and shot off into the air. She was out of view within five seconds. I was slightly amazed at the speed with which she left. It was technically the first time I’ve seen one of the natives fly away.

“Huh. Well that’s something I haven’t seen yet.”

“Haven’t seen what?” asked Spyglass.

“Someone fly away.”

Author's Note:

Hey some good news! I will now be going for weekly updates of this story. So this one will be the first of many in a string of many chapters.

Editor's note: You can blame me for this one being late. Totally forgot about it for a couple days there.