• Published 6th Jun 2013
  • 14,495 Views, 1,218 Comments

Remembering Garry's Mod - BioChemicalWolfGear



Something decided I was off my usual path. That I wasn't where I was supposed to be. Who am I to go against the word of a god?

  • ...
62
 1,218
 14,495

Chapter 6 [wire]

As I sat in the hospital room, I continued to try to code with E2. I soon discovered that all of my current E2s from the game weren’t with me. So I’d have to start from scratch with most of the E2s I’ve made. Eventually I came to a decision on just starting with holos. I was no longer hooked up to any medical equipment. My muscle strength was beginning to return as I tried to move about more, but regardless of time my body still ached whenever I tried. It was only after I tried moving my body did the pain start to subside.

I was now in full control of my right arm and able to use it without any pain or other handicap. I practiced using my legs earlier the other day so I could use them today. When the doctor came in, he told me just to try moving my body. By now, it was early morning the next day, and tomorrow the ambassadors would be here and they’d begin discussion over what to do with me. They’d probably bring their own opinions and force them on each other. But what’s worse is, the fact that I know they’d try to win my loyalty, it’s just how politics work. Fight for the most powerful player when you’re weak, and pray they won’t leave you behind.

I can only guess as to how this game is played. Since many other games seem to speak of it, including Civilizations. Playing that game helped me understand the value of friends, and the problems with making enemies. But only when you’re weaker than them, do you need to worry. However, being as weak as I am, I know I can’t make enemies or I’d be making a death-wish. The politicians see me as a higher power, and if they feel threatened they’d kick and scream.

“This is going to be tough.” I mused to myself, shaking my head slightly.

Both my arms were on top of the covers. My room was being flooded with golden light from the rising sun. I turned my head to the right to look outside. I was able to see spires outside my window; they were white and glowed with the golden light that hit them. They cast long shadows across the city. But I couldn’t see the ground from my position. I learned from Redheart that I was on the second floor of the hospital.

I turned my head back to the left, my room was dark with only a hint of the morning light coming in from the window. The entire room was heavily shadowed, making the green curtains that surround my bed look dark and gloomy. The curtains actually went in a square around my bed. The part of the walls I actually could see, seemed to have an empty cheeriness due to the shadow, and the hospital still smelled sterile and organized. I could hear faint hoofsteps outside the closed door.

I began to suspect the nurses were awake and taking their shifts. But I didn’t like how early it was. I was jarred from my thoughts when the door of my room started creaking open. When it finished, I heard the hoof steps grow louder as they approached me. I became slightly nervous as my mind began to piece together the strangeness of the situation. I now began to expect the curtains to draw back and some murderous character to be revealed.

I cautiously equipped my toolgun and pointed it at the green curtain as the hoof steps grew louder. I heard the distinct sound of a charged horn, and the curtains were enveloped in a familiar blue aura. When they suddenly drew back in a swiftly, I was suddenly startled by the pony on the other side.

“Princess?” I asked in confusion.

Princess Luna looked at me indifferently as her horn's glow dissipated.

“I’m sorry Blake, but I knew that now was a good time to talk,” she stated indifferently as she cantered over to the left side of my bed.

I tracked her movements with my head. “It’s not even six AM,” I noted, feeling unimpressed.

“I sensed you stopped dreaming, so I decided to visit you,” she explained further.

I raised an eyebrow in confusion and repeated, “You... sensed I stopped dreaming?”

“Yes. I’m the Princess of the Night, so I have the ability to manage dreams, and keep away nightmares,” she stated matter-of-factly.

“Oh yeah, because that would make sense.” I joked mockingly.

She gave me a deadpanned look as she irritably stated, “Believe what you wish, but yesterday, my actions were rash and-” she put a hoof on her mouth in contemplation before she finished, “-how you would say, uncalled for?”

I paused for a few moments, not expecting an apology. Nor a question about how correct the statement was. “Well, slightly.” I finally responded. “But I was a little rude, even though I didn’t mean to.”

“Yes, anyway now that that’s settled,” she added quickly, to put the issue behind us. Which I found so sudden it was slightly comical so I smiled in joy.

Luna noticed it and smiled too. “I would like to give you some fair warning for later today. Prince Blueblood has insisted he’d see you in a few hours, during or just after your breakfast. He’s a bit touchy when it comes to status. So when he approaches you, try to be prepared to work your way to telling him you’re a higher member of society like a prince or king, so he respects you,” she revealed with a content smile.

I raised an eyebrow and asked, “So, basically he respects royalty?”

“Yes, and the upper class. He believes in a more traditional way of thinking, such as punishing servants when they don’t do everything when asked. He is also resentful toward the lower class as he believes them to be no more than servants. He only slightly respects the middle class, but only as consumers,” She admitted with a minor hint of annoyance. “He’s caused some trouble with that mentality, but I can’t do anything about it, since he never truly committed any crime.”

I looked up at the white ceiling. “So you came to me to warn me, he’ll be rude to me?” I replied disapprovingly. “You know I can deal with anyone, right? I’m sure I can talk him down from his high horse,” I added confidently.

Princess Luna looked confused as she asked, “High horse?”

“Sorry, it’s an expression. It means someone who’s really confident and full of pride. Usually they forget about the feelings of others, until they’re beaten or bested. So I’m just going to make him feel like he’s not in power anymore,” I revealed my simple plan.

Princess Luna looked worried, “I want to tell you that he’s family to me. Don’t hurt him if he gets to you. You can say whatever you want to him, but please don’t cause him any harm,” her expression seemed sincerely concerned for her family member.

I nodded my head and turned back to her as I calmly defended myself, “I won’t hurt him. No reason to, right?”

“Good.” She nodded her head, “Oh and my sister, Princess Celestia, has informed me of your conversation. I’m up to date with what she’s told you, and we both have complete confidence in you.” She said with a smile. It quickly faded as she admitted, “Although, that may be a fib. I don’t have as much confidence in you to present yourself in such a way to allow you to vouch for yourself.”

When she paused, I realized she expected me to counter. I choose to accept the bait and speak up, “I will think of something, ok? Right now, I’ve got an idea to create my own personal guard to defend me. A guard that will just follow me blindly and just be used for show. If they thought I was being protected, then they’ll think twice about keeping me silent, right?” I asked quickly.

“No, they’d find that more threatening, when you have your own soldiers protecting you. They’d also conclude you have a force stationed in Equestria and that will lead to further issues.” Luna concluded.

“Wow you’re a lot like your sister,” I deadpanned. “Shooting down all my ideas? Ok fine, one guard that I’d call my personal guard.” I stated slightly annoyed.

“How about a servant?” Luna offered.

“And just like your sister, you’re no fun.” I rolled my eyes and shot her an annoyed look.

“That’s understandable. I’ve only just recently learned the definition of fun, and have not fully mastered it.” She stated factually.

I gave her a bewildered look. She tilted her head slightly and raised her eyebrow in confusion. We stayed silent for a few uncomfortable seconds, more because my mind was taking a while to figure out exactly how something as bizarre as that statement could ever possibly come out of another creature’s mouth.

“Are you finished gawking?” Princess Luna stated irritably.

“Uh, sure?” I replied dumbly.

“Very well. Now back to the noble Blueblood, –” she was interrupted in the middle of her sentence by seemingly nothing.

She turned around to look out the way she came in. The view of the front door was obscured by the curtain because she was beside my bed on the left. She took a few steps forward and peeked her head around the corner. I watched with interest as her ears pointed toward the door to pick up more noise. It didn’t take more than two seconds for her to back up and use her magic to quickly close the curtain.

She looked back at me disappointingly. “Well, the nurses are beginning to arrive and are going to the critical patients,” she noted, her tone full of disappointment. “I need to leave, so I don’t stir up too much trouble.”

“Wait,” I start quietly. “Am I allowed to tell him you visited?” I asked to avoid any issues.

She rolled her eyes, “Yes, if you must tell him, then I don’t mind.” She then added dully, “Now I must go. Take care.”

“You too,” I gave her a smile.

Her horn lit up and she winked out of existence with a subtle pop in her wake. I sat their drop jawed and confused when I watched her disappear before me. Without much thought, I laid back and looked at the green curtains in front of me. They remained inanimate, other than sway with the momentum that still existed in them after the princess moved them. They started to go idle in the eerie silence of the room.

I looked back down at my empty right hand and fixed a sly smile on my face. I drew it out of the covers and held it out in front of me. I then cycled through my weapons and landed on the Toolgun. When it was equipped I pointed it at the ceiling and went through the options I had. I currently didn’t know how to spawn any props, so I couldn’t get to building on any drones or hovercraft.

I quickly reached the conclusion that I needed to learn how to spawn props. I laid back and closed my eyes for a few moments to try to experiment with the new gift inside me. I started poking around the new empty space inside me where my physics gun was stored. I believed I could fill it up somehow, but I wasn’t sure on how to do that.

Due to boredom influencing my behavior, I decided to just try to remake a few wire devices to get used to any wire issues that I might come up with. Eventually I decided to try making a stoplight, even though it would serve no purpose other than to reassure myself that I can still do impressive wire feats. Even though a stoplight doesn’t seem like much, you still need to take into account of how much time it would take until cars would be going down the right road. Like in real life, the lights couldn't just change every five seconds, or people will get angry and more aggressive with their driving.

But the problem was getting the light to stay on long enough for someone to see it, and then change to the other light, without the first one still being on. You couldn’t use an Equals gate-chip or the light would just simply flash so quickly you could miss it if you blinked. In fact, I actually missed the blinks when I didn’t blink when I made a blinking light with an Equals gate as a trigger.

However there was a way to make it so the light stayed on long enough for someone to notice, or at least long enough for someone to see it without it remaining on while the other light was on. In involved using a Timer gate, an Add gate, an Equals gate, an 'Equals to or Greater Than' or 'EoGT' gate, and an 'Equals to or Less Than' or 'EoLT' gate. The Equals gate will be hooked up to the Add gate and the Add gate will be hooked up to Equals Less Than and Equals Greater Than gates. Those gates would be hooked up to the timer and a Constant Value to tell them when they will send an output. If the gates were greater than 6 but less than 8 then they both give an output of 2. The Equals gates will then be hooked up to the gate and compare it to 2 in the Constant Value chip.

When the Equals chip is at 2, meaning the currently-passed time is between 6 seconds and 8 seconds, then it will give an output of 1. The output of 1, will be hooked up to a Multiplication chip, that will multiply the Equals value, by the Constant Value, which will now hold the value 255 which is the highest number a Light can, get color wise. The light will then be hooked up to the Multiplication chip and when the Light will light up when the seconds are between 6 and 8.

*Puft* *Puft* I fired my gun to place the EoGT chip, then it’s inverted cousin, the EoLT chip.

I smiled to myself when I realized how ridiculous knowing something like this was. But this way of thinking would make perfect sense to someone as advanced with Wiremod as I was. That or people who make video games, since coding is just another way of saying what I just theorized what would work. Coding involves defining what stops what, and what runs what. The Timer runs the scenario, while the Gates say at what time something should activate. In this case, it was a really simple way to turn on a light within 6 to 8 seconds. But why 6 and 8? Why not longer or shorter? Well there was never a reason why I had to have those seconds, but it would be more dramatic when I finally see the gates work right.

That, and it was just an example.

I got to work on adding the gates I wanted in the scenario. But before I could go any further I heard the door open in my room.

“Hello?” I called out.

I saw no reason why to keep my woken state a secret from the visitor. Especially since the Toolgun was creating noise as I placed down the gates. I began to hear hoof steps traveling toward me, but it was accompanied by a strange tinkling sound, that I associated with plates and glass cups.

“Hello?” I repeated, more anxiety in my voice this time.

I was unsure if the silence between the person in the room and I was hostile or just misinterpreted.

“Hmho!” exclaimed a muffled voice on the other side of the closed curtains.

I was slightly relieved when the voice responded to my calls. It sounded feminine so I assumed it was one of the nurses who continued to visit me hourly just to see the strange creature. I heard the mare place what sounded like a tray of items on a table. She then huffed from the strain of carrying it and I could only assume she did a cliché action like wiping the sweat off her forehead. I heard her start trotting over to the closed curtain that kept me from seeing the rest of the room.

“Sorry about that Blake,” came the warm voice of Nurse Redheart.

“Redheart!” I said happily. “Why didn’t you respond?” I asked.

“Sorry, I was carrying your breakfast,” she apologized. “I can’t believe you actually eat meat,” she added, slightly worried. “You seemed so nice.”

I gave her a questioning gaze that she couldn’t see and asked, “What makes you think I’m mean for eating meat?”

I heard her hoofsteps start to come even closer and start to pass me to my right. The curtains started to move to the left to reveal the white mare holding them with her teeth and walking over to my left while taking the curtain with her. She let go of the curtain when it was fully moved out of the way and looked back at me with a warm smile.

“Well you’re right. You ar-” she stopped mid-sentence when she noticed the gate chips on the ceiling above me. “What are those?” she asked, looking at them with awe.

She approached my bed while looking up at the ceiling. I was about to explain before a mischievous thought came to mind. I smiled at her maliciously when she was looking up at the gates.

“Oh, they’re human equivalent to mistletoe,” I announced happily. “Now that you’re under them with me, you’re required by tradition to kiss me,” I mused aloud.

She looked at me with a shocked expression. “What?”

“Yup. Come’re cupcake.” I said while reaching for her head with my left hand.

She smiled mischievously, and before I realized what was going on she hopped up on the bed. She then started to lick my face with her tongue. I began trying to struggle by putting my hands in front of my face.

“Eugh! Why! Stop!” I whined pathetically.

“Well, this is how ponies kiss,” she informed me mirthfully.

She resumed trying to kiss me.

“Ok ok! It’s not mistletoe! They’re wire gates!” I exclaimed, with a smile appearing on my face.

She lifted her head triumphantly. “That’s more like it,” she spoke confidently, she turned to the right and jumped back down on the ground.

“You have a lot of water in your mouth,” I commented while I tried to get the saliva off my face.

She turned back at me with a merry smile before joking, “Well now you know, I like to wet my mouth before I lick.”

“Eeeeeeeeeeeeew!” I yelled over dramatically while giving a disgusted face.

She laughed mirthfully. “Hahaha. Well, now you know not to lie to a mare.” She said good-humoredly.

I shook my head at her shenanigans. I then came across the weird question of why.

I tried to not sound serious as I asked her, “So at what point did you think it was a good idea to lick me?” I gave her a questioning gaze with a small smile.

She gave me a sheepish look. “Uh, I dunno. It was kind of on impulse,” she admitted with an embarrassed look and nervous rubbing on the back of her head.

“Ah, it’s ok. So what’d you bring me for breakfast?” I asked trying to peer around the curtain.

She looked up at me and stated professionally, “Oh right! One moment dear.”

I watched her turn and walk around the curtain. When she was out of sight I only had her hoof steps to tell where she was. When she got to what I assumed was going to be a desk or table I heard the plate moving on the tray that Redheart brought in with her. I waited patiently as she rounded the corner and came into view. I watched with a quizzical expression as I saw her carrying it with her teeth. I remembered her pulling back the curtains with her teeth and wondered if it was a social norm.

She got to my bed and placed the trey on my lap for me to observe. I was at a horizontal angle, and started to sit up so I was able to eat it in a more comfortable position. Redheart scrambled to my side and helped me sit up. I was overjoyed to notice my muscles weren’t unbearably sore after sitting up. I looked down at the plate and observed its contents. It had scrambled eggs which was edible, but it also had some form of oats I wasn’t familiar with. And I was honestly not impressed with the ‘meat’ she said was there. Everything looked edible but the meat looked very unappetizing. First of all, it was a squirrel. Second of all, it wasn’t cooked.

“Uh, what’s this?” I said pointing to the squirrel.

She looked at me with a quizzical gaze. “Uh, that’s a griffin breakfast. Eggs and squirrel. But we added oats because you’re an omnivore,” she smiled warmly at me. “But most of this is to see what you’d eat.”

I sighed unenthusiastically. “The scrambled egg is fine, but the uncooked squirrel is just… ew.” I commented with a disgusted expression. “Oats are ok though. I’d rather have cereal if you have it.” I said with a smile.

“Eeew, you cook your meat?” she exclaimed with a horrified expression.

I raised an eyebrow in confusion, “Uh yeah, that’s pretty normal.”

“That’s just, disturbing.” Nurse Redheart shivered a little in disgust.

“Sorry, it’s just how my people eat meat. We can eat it raw, but it’s not helpful to us in any way when it is. If it’s cooked, then we can eat it and keep away from any toxins it might have.” I tried to explain.

“No no, it’s fine. It’s just a weird thought,” she looked away from me awkwardly. “Well griffins eat meat raw, and most of them are pretty rude…”

“So griffins eat meat raw?” I asked.

“Yes,” she answered my question nodding her head. “Yes they do,” she stated matter-of-factly.

A train wreck of thoughts slammed into my head as I began to analyze the relation of eating meat and being rude. It made no sense to me, but is it possible that ponies just assume everything that eats meat is out to get them? If this was the case, then I’d need to be very careful about an appropriate time to bring up eating meat. The more I thought about it, it made less and less sense. The only option left was to ask.

“Exactly how does eating meat make me rude or mean?” I asked quizzically.

She looked up at me as if I just said something so ludicrous that it sounded like a foreign language. But after a few moments of giving me a puzzled look, she shook it off and cleared her throat.

“Well usually the animals that griffins would find out in the wild are considered pets to us ponies. Griffins are known for sometimes hunting our dogs, rabbits, birds, and even squirrels for food. They also never apologize when they accidently eat our pets, so ponies just generally stay away from them most of the time. Although some griffins have embraced their ability to eat fruits and vegetables like omnivores and live alongside ponies without eating meat. Sometimes they’re rude too, but they’re much easier to negotiate with than regular griffins, who eat meat.” she explained, holding no information back.

I tilted my head dramatically and spoke, “What? How can just changing your eating habits change your personality?” I shook my head. “Y'know what? No, I think they’re just trying to be as kind as they naturally can around you. I mean they gave up their old life to live among ponies right? They had to have developed some social restraint if they wanted to continue that.” I tried to reason.

Nurse Redheart seemed to think about my suggestion for a moment. But she then shook her head disapprovingly and frowned slightly.

“I’m sorry Blake. That sounds reasonable, but I can’t accept that most griffins are trying to fit in. They seem more caught up with honor and respect, than social activity,” she reasoned, shooting me a measured look.

“Whoa, like a Klingon? Oh my inner-Trekkie is screaming right now!” I thought to myself.

I smiled comfortingly at her. “If honor is what they respect then why not meet in between?” I offered. “I mean from what I heard, no pony ever tried to start accepting some of their culture while they accepted theirs right? How many ponies tried to meet them in the middle when it came to honor?” I said hoping to get a positive response.

She looked at her hooves shamefully. “Well…” She slowly lifted her head back to me as she added, “Well, griffins generally have a better time socializing with retired guards. They also respect mayors and other ponies in power or other solar guards.”

“See?” I exclaimed with a smile. “If what I get from griffins is true, then they’re a militaristic society that believes in honor above all else. They probably respect ponies who know what it means to trust the people they’re closest to, or people who they have to, trust with their lives.” I suggested.

She nodded her head and gave me a warm smile. “You know, you might be right. I think I’ll keep that in mind next time I have a griffin patient.” She began to smile mischievously as she jokingly mused, “I’ll probably say something along the lines of, “Your health and safety is being overseen by me, so don’t make a fuss, or it won’t be medicine in that needle.” or something of the sort.”

My eyes widened in surprise. “Uh, wow. I just gave you a suggestion, and you’ve already used it to think of ways to scare people away from the hospital.” I said shaking my head in amusement.

“You know.” She said slyly. “So you going to eat what you can eat or not?” She asked looking at the trey in front of me.

I looked down at it with my smile before my smile began to slip. The squirrel was mixed in with some of the eggs and oats. And then there wasn’t any silverware for me to pick out all the uncooked meat. I began to feel slightly unwell as I looked at the dead uncooked animal. I was particularly disgusted at the fact it still had some blood on it, and the head was still there along with a hole where I assumed the kill shot was.

“Uh, yeah, not hungry right now.” I noted, staring at it with a demoralized gaze.

“You can’t eat it?” She said with a worried expression.

“No, not that. Well ok, it’s not cooked, there’s still blood on it, and its head is there… there are a lot of issues with what’s in front of me. Most of which it looks unappetizing. And I don’t think I’ll be able to stomach food until lunch.” I said uneasily as I looked at the corpse. “But I’ll gladly take something to drink if you don’t mind getting that for me.” I asked after noticing the significant lack of any cups.

Her eyes widened in surprise as she exclaimed, “Oh that’s what I forgot! I was so fussed about carrying a dead body, that I forgot to get you something to drink! Oh I’m sorry dear I’ll be right back.” She went to grab the tray from my lap before she stopped herself in her tracks. “Oh right,” she added suddenly and calmly. “Prince Blueblood wants to meet you today, and he made us keep a schedule, so you and he will have some alone time.”

I rolled my eyes. “Oh goody. I was warned about him. But he can’t be as bad as they say, right? But are you able to bring me water while we talk? I’m really thirsty, and I’ll need the water if I’m going to have a conversation with a politician.” I asked with a smile.

“He’s a Prince, Blake. I suggest you be careful about what side you take, when talking to him. He is very powerful, with a lot of influence among the nobility,” she warned me a slight quaver in her tone.

I nodded warmly before politely continuing, “Then I’ll be careful. May I be alone now?”

“Sure,” she nodded happily.

She then reached for the tray with her mouth to pick it up before stopping again to look at the gates on the ceiling.

“So exactly what is that?” she asked.

“I told you, gates and stuff.” I replied simply.

“What does it do?” She asked curiously, cocking an eyebrow at me.

I looked up at them and mused, “They’re really hard to explain. If you knew the basics of what they were, I’m pretty sure I will still sound like I’m speaking gibberish...” Turning to regard her again I quietly asked, “Oh hey, when will I get my clothes back?”

“Oh right! The guard allowed us to bring them back to you. Apparently the Princesses have decided to trust you again, and you’ll be getting them back soon. Maybe today too.” She said happily. “Although if you want, I can bring them up when I bring you your water.” She said happily.

“That’d be lovely.” I stated, joy exploding through my tone.

Author's Note:

Yea sorry for long delay. I've been...procrastinating and family stuffs. Also tired as hell. I've also decided to expose how I'll explain wire and other addons in the future with the street light example. I think exactly like how I described the street light when I build things with wire. More because I was building it in my head and writing down thoughts.

So yea sorry for delay, but hopefully this was worth the wait. :D

Ok maybe it wasn't, but it's a chapter :/

Editor's Notes:
More Nurse 'Well' Redheart exposition here!
That, and I’m a lazy bastard.