• Published 8th Feb 2012
  • 11,129 Views, 944 Comments

Equestria: A Flux Tale - Star Sage



A Tiny Human lands in Equestria. Why? What? Who? Questions to be answered, and a quest to be found.

  • ...
47
 944
 11,129

PreviousChapters Next
Dancing the Night Away

The evening wore on, and you sat at your table, sipping at what you thought was a beverage of some slight alcohol content, or at least it tasted like it had a bit in it, and watched as the others danced to the lovely sounds of Octavia’s ensemble and Fluttershy’s birds, the two sounds complimenting, rather than competing with each other to create a melodious sound that seemed to fill every corner of the room like a soft blanket.

That first bit at the beginning had been really surprising, but after the bow, the sisters had risen, and then begun talking to the various dignitaries who were attending the ball, allowing the girls to go with their dates, while you, not really having had time since waking up to find one, to saunter over to a seat, and then watch the dance of all the various species and things, wondering idly if you should just quietly bow out and head to your room.

Your thoughts on escape seemed to have attracted a crowd of apprentices, as Rex, after chatting with some dog you didn’t know, had come over and plopped down into the seat next to you, soon followed by Pyro, Deasly, and Tailfire, the first having not been able to find a date, and the other two claiming not to be interested in parties like this. Heck, Deasly suggested that with a bit of his magic they could sneak into the kitchen and raid the larder, a plan you were tempted by, but decided against when you got a glance from DawnChaser.

DawnChaser, as it turned out, had asked Spitfire to the ball, but been shot down before by her need to be your guard. With that burden lifted though, she was currently tearing up the dance floor, the Professor’s cape fluttering around them as the spin, dipped, and twirled about the other dancers, the purple unicorn usually sneaking a kiss here and there, as he moved with a grace that actually surprised you.

Some of the Six had apparently had time to find dates themselves, with Rainbow Dash and Soarin both being a rather interesting couple, the rainbow and sky theme working well between them to create quite the scene. It was helped by the pair sometimes taking off into the air and then doing a dip twirl you remember working on with them during some of the Wonderbolt’s practice times, finishing up with Rainbow catching Soarin, and then the two kissing.

Fluttershy, blushing so she was almost as red as her date, danced with Big Mac, the pair quite the good couple, with her seeming positively tiny when compared to the massive stallion. Still, he proved that he was actually light on his hooves, gently taking her through the motions of each step, which only seemed to make the crème colored pegasus turn a deeper shade of red.

Applejack, meanwhile, was dancing with a pony you recognized as Caramel, a work horse who sometimes hung out on the farm. You’d only gotten to talk to him once, when he’d been with Big Mac and AJ during a delivery to Canterlot about three weeks ago, but he seemed nice, and he was blushing almost as furiously as Fluttershy as AJ took the lead position in their couple, spinning him around, and then whipping him back and forth.

Rarity and Pinkie Pie both seemed to have the same idea, and danced with more than one stallion this evening, though where Rarity took her time, fluttering her eyelashes at each one, and probably fluttering with them from her expression, Pinkie took several at once. The party pony also didn’t seem to be dancing in the traditional sense, given the way she kind of led them all through motions, including something that looked like the Macarena you’d done for her earlier.

Twilight had no date, but was obviously enjoying herself despite that, standing with Celestia, and chatting with her mentor, who was enjoying a few small cakes, while Luna sat beside her, making the occasional comment that you couldn’t hear, but was obviously pretty funny as it got all three laughing. Oddly, you thought that you saw her eye flicker over to you sometimes, and then towards the DJ booth that Vinyl was sitting in, looking bored. You dismissed that thought though, as Octavia’s ensemble finished, and you rose to give her some applause, along with the rest of the guests.

“I believe that’s our cue, gentlestallions…and dog,” said Deasly, and suddenly you feel not just his magic, but a hoof, a paw, and a bit of fire in your pants pushing you up out of your seat, to stumble onto your feet.

“What’re you guys doing?!” you demand in a shouted whisper, but none of them say anything, just motioning for you to turn around, and when you do, you find that somehow Octavia had not only come down onto the dance floor, but was wearing a dress that was made of diamonds, with onyx decorating it, turning her into a walking bit of sheet music. A quick look at her face told you she was just as surprised as you were, and made her look towards where the Princesses sat, while you look back towards the boys.

“And now, stallions, mares, and anyone else out there, can I direct your attention to a very special pair this evening?” said Vinyl’s voice through some overhead speakers, and with a dull clack, an overhead spotlight was shining down on the two of you, making it impossible for either of you to see anything but each other.

“And while it’s not my thing, I think this lovely little scene could use some mood music, don’t you?” asked the voice from on high, and you heard a very familiar song start up, one from your childhood, that actually made you smile a bit, and step forward, offering your hand to Octavia.

“We kill them all after this. Something involving Pyro’s fire burning them all, then him and Celestia frozen in a block of ice that we smash with a hammer,” you tell her, to which she enthusiastically nods, setting her hoof into your hand, as you then place your free hand on her flank, and feel her other hoof on your waist.

“Agreed. Though I must admit, I like this song,” she said, and you suddenly remembering playing this one, along with a few other Disney songs on the show once. Still, it made for an interesting time as you danced, and ‘Can You Feel the Love Tonight’ played overhead. This version being the one from the move itself, so it contained the lines, which you gently whisper to her.

“So many things to tell you, but how to make you see, the truth about my feelings, impossible, I can’t offer you more than me,” you say, and you can feel her skin go hot as she blushes.

“You’re holding back you’re hiding, but why, I can’t understand. Why won’t you be the man I know you are, the man I see inside?” she responds, and you wink, before spinning her up and around, holding her beneath her forelegs, and then bringing her back down. You two then twirled and whipped about, as the song built up, before finally starting to slow down, your heads coming together, and before you really understood what it was you were doing, you find your lips meeting hers.

“It’s about Princess forsaken time,” came a whisper over the loud speaker, Vinyl having been leaning a little too close to the mic when she said it. She didn’t even seem to realize it though, as you both looked around as the light faded, and found a round of applause coming from all around.

“Heh, so, should we keep dancing, or go?” you ask, and she looks around, before leaning close, and putting her head on your shoulder.

“Dance first, as long as they’re slow songs,” she tells you, and you nod, trying to lead her through the dance Luna had shown you earlier as another love song started up. The two of you twirled, dipped, and then went back again. After a few minutes of this, Vinyl finally switched to the thumping techno tunes that were her thing, and you were finally allowed to sit down.

“Heh, I’m glad I came now. That was a lot more fun than it was at the Gala,” commented Deasly, as you pulled a chair out and sat down on it, Octavia doing the same near the Princesses, and discussing things in a voice you could just barely hear. You only understood one word in ten, but it sounded like they were angry words, with a lot of consonants in them.

“Yeah, yeah, laugh it up, tiny. I’m going to get all of you back for this,” you tell them.

“Get back at them for what? They got you to finally admit feelings for somepony,” said the Captain, as he walked over, his cape somehow fluttering in the air behind him, despite the lack of wind inside.

“No, for putting me on the spot, and getting me to slow dance,” you told him.

“Ah, well, that’ll be for later then. Still, it’s nice to see you did finally come out of that shell. I hate it when two ponies…people in love dance around each other. It gets in the way of business,” he said, and offered you a drink he’d been levitating behind you. The mug looked to be made of some kind of crystal, but the smell of the liquid inside was obviously alcoholic, which you took and then set on the table beside you.

“Love? I mean, yeah, she’s nice and everything, but love is something you feel only once, at least, the true kind? And even if it is love, what can I offer her?” you ask, and the Captain just chuckles at you.

“You can offer her what anypony, anyone can. You offer her yourself, your support, your understanding, and your heart. If it’s real love, then that’s all that’s required,” he tells you.

“What about family? Kids are kind of not something I can give her…at least, I don’t think so,” you say, and look over at Tailfire, who takes a long pull on his own drink before responding.

“The information is incomplete. I can’t say one way or the other yet, not until you try something. But, if you want an opinion…then no, nothing can come of such a union,” he admits, looking down, obviously having been wishing he could give another answer.

“Heh, it’s okay, Tailfire. I mean, before that, we have money concerns. What can I do for money? I can’t do anything as well as you can, we saw that today. I’m physically the weakest thing in this room. I have no magic, I can’t fly, and everything I have now are gifts from the Princesses, or DawnChaser, or a dozen others. What kind of life would I give her?” you ask, and there’s a collective sigh, before the Captain pins your shoulder against the chair back with his hoof.

“You sir, are one of those most stubborn males it has ever been my misfortune to know. What do any of these things matter in the face of love? You can’t provide for her? That’s poppycock. After all, I’m sure DawnChaser would be willing to pay you for all that data he’s been gathering, right?” he asked, and Deasly nodded.

“He’s been having Trixie keep a list of what he owes you, just in case you ever wanted to claim it. Say the word, and I can have the bits to you in an hour. It’s quite the sum actually, enough for two pon-people to live on for a lifetime,” answers the unicorn.

“See, and as for kids…there’s always adoption. Our world is a dangerous place, and many a foal is left with no parents,” he said, a bit more sadly than you would have expected, though, knowing nothing of his past, you figured he might be talking from experience.

“But what about size? I’m big now only because of a spell. Once that fails, I’m back to a three inch tall thing that’s got all these cool powers, but can’t exactly interact with her,” you tell them, and this time it was Rex who spoke up.

“Big thoughts, no good. Party tonight, big thoughts, morning,” he declared, and pushed the mug you’d set on the table into your hands. For a moment, you almost threw it in his face, but then you glanced over to where Octavia was, her sides were heaving, and it seemed like she’d just gotten through with one heck of an argument with the Princesses, one that left Twilight wide eyed and staring at her.

“Big thoughts in the morning, party tonight,” you repeated, taking a pull on the drink, and feeling it burn into your throat, hitting your stomach like a stick of dynamite.

“Woah, now that’s a kicker!” you declare, and to which the dog nods.

“Whiskey, my brew, makes for fun parties,” he said, taking up three mugs of the stuff and dumping them into his mouth, before getting up and walking over to where Frazzle had been sitting. The dog says a few words to her, and then the two are out on the dance floor. Smiling at that, you look towards Octavia, who’s downing a shot glass of something. Draining the mug in your hand for courage, you rise, a bit wobbly, to your feet, and walk over to her.

“May I have this dance?” you ask her, and she looks up at you, before nodding emphatically, the two of you spinning out onto the floor, and then bobbing in time with the techno beat, the world vanishing in a haze of alcohol, bright lights, and a set of pretty, purple eyes.

PreviousChapters Next