• Published 8th Feb 2012
  • 11,127 Views, 944 Comments

Equestria: A Flux Tale - Star Sage



A Tiny Human lands in Equestria. Why? What? Who? Questions to be answered, and a quest to be found.

  • ...
47
 944
 11,127

PreviousChapters Next
A Night with Luna

Luckily, neither of the pair was in chains, or whatever would be the case should they be pony criminals. Still, it was obvious they had been arrested considering their rather large police escort, which stayed in a ring around them as they approached the throne. Looking at them, it was clear that they had been in a scuffle. Big Macintosh had a rather large bruise on his left shoulder that was going to be a very ugly shade of purple tomorrow as it started healing, and his rear right leg was limping a bit, forcing him to hop as he walked. He didn't seem to notice anything though, and walked with the stoicism you knew him for. DawnChaser, meanwhile, showed only a few scraps all over his body, and was smiling, looking quite pleased with himself.

"What is the meaning of this, Captain?" demanded Luna as the police ponies approached, and their leader, who had a bigger hat, bowed along with his squad. Big Macintosh tried to bow, but failed at it miserably thanks to his bum leg. The Professor just waved, and gave a much smaller tilt of the head, showing he was below her, but not a supplicant like the others.

"We beg forgiveness your highness, but we were told you would want to hear this case immediately by one of the Element Wielders. She said you know these two, and would know just what to do with them," he said, and motioned for them to push the pair forward, to stand right in front of the Princess, her gaze looking down on them. This actually got Big Macintosh to cringe a little. Heck, even DawnChaser wasn't immune to it, looking away, and trying to whistle, but failing considering he apparently had a bruised lip, and was missing several teeth, a fact his purple fur hid.

"And what is it that this pair did that brings them before Our justice?" she asked.

"Um, well....they started a fight," said the captain, seemingly not too sure about this.

"And why would such a trivial matter need Our attention?" demanded the Moon Princess, turning her gaze to the captain.

"Well, your highness, they sort of destroyed the bar they were fighting in, and they were fighting-" he begins.

"-the royal guard jerks who were accosting a young mare, and I valiantly stepped forward to save her," finished DawnChaser, and behind the police soon followed said contingent of royal guards. Interestingly, they came in all colors, and were all sorts of ponies, but it was easy to see they were the same guards, because they were a bit larger than the ones guarding them, and trotted in formation like a military unit, despite some of them limping, or grunting with each step.

"Commander, do you have your own side to this story?" asked Luna, as the royal guard ponies came up to the throne. All total, there were like fifteen of them, and all of them looked a bit taken aback, especially when DawnChaser smiled at them pleasantly. Still, their leader, an even buffer looking stallion, stepped out of their ranks, and bowed towards the Princess, in spite of a rather wicked looking bruise on his left foreleg.

"My Liege Lady, it is, as this one described it. One of my troops was making a fool of himself, and trying to force himself on a young mare. When this civilian intervened, the two started a fight, and soon my whole unit was in a brawl with him and his friends," said the gruff looking stallion to the Princess.

"And which among your unit was this offender?" demanded Luna, looking over the gathered ponies, including, you finally notice, several mares in the back of the group. However, the commander shook his head towards his monarch.

"No, Princess, that's not how it's done. You punish me, and I punish the troops. That's how these things go. However, you can bet your moonlight that the offender in question will never again be so forward with the young mares," he assures you, and you notice one in particular of the squad, a slightly younger looking one, cringe. You're sure Luna notices it too, but she says nothing, as she nods.

"Very well, We remand this one to your custody. Still, what should be done with this one, and his friend?" she asks the commander, pointing towards the pair, Big Macintosh trying to stand proud, while DawnChaser just smirks. The commander pony rubs his chin a little with his good foreleg as if in thought for a moment, before answering.

"Well, for my money, I'd try to get the big red one into training. Offer him as many bits as it takes. He's got a might fine kick. The purple one could use a could round of basic himself, though even with that, I'm not sure he should be trusted with anything sharper than a napkin," he said, and the two looked at him, DawnChaser nodding, while Big Macintosh seemed to be stunned by the praise.

"Thank you for the suggestion, Commander. You are dismissed, and this Night Court is adjourned that We might discuss this matter privately with the offenders," she said, and everypony in the room bowed to her, before walking towards the big double doors, which boomed closed behind them as Luna slammed them shut just as the last pony cleared them.

"Now then, would you two like to be more specific about this? And tell me how much damage my sister and I will have to pay for?" she said, her tones level, but her gaze radiating fire at the pair.

"Oh please, I bought the bar in the middle of the fight, so I'll pay for the damages. And besides, nopony got hurt too bad," said DawnChaser rather flippantly.

"You did what?!" demanded a familiar voice from where Big Macintosh was standing, and as you watched, several ponies seemed to pop into being beside him, soon resulting in the whole bar party standing in front of you, all of them a little beat up, save Deasly who just stared at the Professor.

"I bought the bar, and that was good thinking, by the way, apprentice. You hid the others before the cops could pin us all down, but after Rarity had demanded we be taken to the Night Court," he complimented, but Deasly wasn't about to be turned away from the subject so easily, pointing an accusing hoof at DawnChaser.

"No no no, go back to that first part. You bought the bar? For how much?" he demanded.

"A few thousand bits, most of the money I have on me, actually, so I won't be trolling the bar scene around town for a few days. Still, a bit of spit and polish, and that place will be good as new, and I can offload it back on the original owner for twice the price," answered DawnChaser.

"A few thou-that's not chump change Professor. Where are we going to get more money in the meantime? I refuse to allow you to take advantage of the Princesses charity," said the brown colored pony.

"And we won't. I contacted your compatriot before he left Hayvard. He informed the dean I would be taking an extended sabbatical, and that Professor Bright Eyes was to take over my class, as well as to bring the money chest. I also wrote letters to a few of my little cash cows to start sending their money here instead, rather than to my University location, as I doubt we'll be returning this season, or maybe even next, as I do want to study our little human friend. I also summoned some of your other fellow apprentices, including Strong Arm, who should make repairs to that place easy once he gets here," said the Professor, Deasly blinking at him.

"As well I did too. That place was shoddy, and run down. Probably because that bar down the street has better lighting, and newer, shinier things, and the owner couldn't afford to update his look. With a bit of sweat, and some hard hoof work, we can get that place looking better than ever, at less than a tenth of the cost he would have had to pay otherwise. Heck, if not for that, I probably would have just shrunk that fool colt, and let the mare have her way with him. But since I have incoming funds, a bit of spare time on my hooves, and some help coming in, I decided to do the nice thing and fix his place up for him, while of course, having a bit of fun myself," finished DawnChaser, and now everypony in the room, including Luna, was looking at him funny.

"What?" he said after a moment of stunned silence, "Just because I seem a bit flighty, doesn't mean I'm not aware of the world around me. That being said though, I think it's time we headed off to bed. I know I'm going to be sore in the morning, and that's probably doubly true for the rest of you."

Him saying that, you take a second glance at the others, and find that everypony has signs of the fight on them. Rarity has a very nasty gash over her left eye, Rainbow Dash's wings seemed to have been partially plucked, and Vinyl looks like she's missing a good chunk of her mane. Pinkie Pie and Deasly seem to have come through it alright, however, and Pinkie is even smiling, while Deasly just facehoofs at the whole exchange. Of course, then they all agree with the Professor's suggestions, and soon, everypony says goodbye to you, as you make your way back up the stairs, and to your tiny room, glad to get some sleep. Opening the door, you walk inside.

Entering your chamber, you're already half out of your shirt by the time you notice you're not alone, and turn to find the Moon Princess siting on your bed, looking at you. You quickly pull the replica of your old T-shirt back down, and are really glad you hadn't started with your shoes and pants as you stare at Luna, just sort of laid back, obviously waiting for you to make the first move.

"Um, hello, Princess," you say at last, not sure what else to say. Luna, for her part, seems equally unable to find words, and instead, lowers herself off your bed, and stands erect before you. Reduced in height to be of a scale with yourself, she's almost perfectly your own height standing on all fours, and you can look her right in the eye.

"Hello human, it was quite a Night Court this evening, especially with that last case, wasn't it?" she asks with a grin, and thinking back, you can't help but smirk yourself. All that boredom had been worth it, just for the sight of the Professor and all those military ponies roughed up from a bar fight.

"I would agree, though, considering we were both there, and it was less than a quarter of an hour ago, I assume you have other business than that to discuss with me?" you ask. You don't want to be rude, and Luna still reminds you of a big sister type thing, but it's not every day one walks into a room for sleeping, first one designed specifically for you in three days one might add, and finds somepony waiting for them there.

"True, true. I did want to ask if you find these quarters comfortable. Celestia and I designed them towards what we thought one of your mobility and digits would like, but almost anything can be changed, should you desire it," she says, echoing something the Sun Princess had said before, and you look around, thoughtfully this time. The room is big, bigger than any you'd had before, and is basically a one room flat. Bathroom set into the wall, with a kitchen beside that, the latter including a fire burning oven, and several cabinets, which were probably stocked with something you could conceivably eat, though you hadn't tested that yet.

"I can't see anything that I would change. In reality, this is far better than the home I was living in back in my old world," you admit, sitting down on the bed, soon joined by Luna, who sits down beside you.

"Really? Does this mean you have no desire to return to your home dimension then?" she asks, and you start a bit when you realize she's absolutely correct. You have no desire to return. After all, you left behind a dead end job, a few friends who probably won't even miss you, and a family that had basically forgotten you existed. What was the point of going back to that? Thinking though, you had to admit, spending all your days here...it was appealing, but...it wasn't your world, and the ponies, kind hearted, generous, honest, loyal, and laughing though they may be, aren't your people. You have the feeling, deep inside, that you will miss your old world...but that you would miss this one even more if you go back, creating quite the dilemma inside your heart.

"I don't, I don't really know. This place, it's fantastic. I've made friends here, already, friends I know I can trust, and depend on, heh, that's more than I can say of the guys back home," you admit aloud with a scoffing laugh.

"Why is that? Do those of you kind lack such qualities?" she inquires, and again, you are silent as you consider this, but then shake your head no.

"No, that's not it. It's more than that. We still do the right thing, but there are so many of us, compared to you. Ponyville has what, a few hundred inhabitants?" you ask, and she doesn't even think before responding.

"Exact figures are uncertain, but there are at most, two thousand ponies in Ponyville right now. How many lived in your old home city?" she asks you in response.

"Thousands more, millions even. I don't know, I lost track, and I think somewhere along the way, we did too. Too many people, too many stories. Here, it's just so much easier, with so many fewer mouths to talk at once. I mean, just listen," you say, and for a moment, there is silence in the room, as Luna turns her head, listening for something, but then turning to you.

"I hear many things, but if I gauged your species correctly, none of it is within the range of your own hearing," she told you, and you nod again.

"Exactly. I hear nothing, silence. That's so rare where I come from, a moment of calm, a moment to yourself. Everywhere we turn, there's noise. Voices raised, a TV program blaring, cars and trucks honking....not that those last two mean anything to you, but still, it's not quiet there, ever. This place is so peaceful compared to that," you say, folding your hands under your chin as you think for a moment.

"And more....I'm special here. I can do something nopony can...well, you and your sister can, but nopony beyond that that I know of. Here I have the chance to stand out from the crowd, to be somebody, and make a difference. I don't know if a goddess can appreciate such a thing, but it's quite a heady feeling, something you can't resist, even if it scares the heck out of you," you tell her, and she nods now.

"I can understand your fear. When assuming your size outside and looking around, it was quite jarring to see how insignificant you seem compared to the world around you. I simply do not understand why DawnChaser likes this stature," she says, and you shake your head.

"No, no it's not that. I mean, it might be that. Heh, I've been eaten twice...no three times...four times since I got here, and nearly stepped on several more, but that's just scary in general. No, I mean that it's scary to realize others might count on you, and then to realize just as quickly....that you might not be able to live up to their expectations," you admit to her, and you just slump forward. All the depression you'd been feeling, hiding behind the wanderlust at being here of all places, came flooding out of you in one long sigh, and you nearly break down crying. Before you can though, Luna's mane suddenly wraps around you, and you feel her leg hugging you against her. It's such a simple gesture, but it helps a lot, as you sit there in silence with her for a moment.

"Thank you," you say after a few minutes, pulling away from the hug. It pains you to do this, but staying in a warm embrace like that has a bit of an addictive quality, and you don't need a crutch like that here. You need to be able to stand tall, on your own two feet, but it was still nice to know Luna was there when you needed her.

"Heh, it's quite all right. I can understand needing a shoulder to cry on. Tia was mine, after everything....how much do you know?" she asks, and you think of what has been said. You'd asked a few questions pertaining to the Nightmare Moon incident, back the day before yesterday, when wandering around Ponyville, all coached to make them seem innocent. Even still, information had been lacking, but enough that, you decide, you know enough to nod.

"I know that something happened to you, something nopony should have happen to them, and Celestia had to lock you inside the moon for a thousand years. I know too that you were brought back to yourself by Twilight and her friends, and that you and Celestia now both rule the kingdom together," you answer.

"Yes, not specifically everything, but enough to know I had good reason to cry for a few days. The things I did as Nightmare Moon...they weren't pretty, and though they've become the subject of myth and tale, they are still enough to frighten many," she says, likely referring to the events of Nightmare Night. You decide to do for her what she did for you, and put your arm around her. She nuzzles into your chest a bit at that, but pulls away before you can get any ideas that are inappropriate about the action.

"So, you know enough to know me, and I believe I've asked you many questions, both about yourself and your world. Do you have any questions about my world you would like to ask?" she offers, and you think for a moment, but then remember something from the other day, and a few episodes, that bugged you. Rude though it seemed, you figure you wouldn't get much alone time with a goddess, so you had to ask.

"I was curious. Do the ponies enslave others? I mean, the buffalo roam free, I saw that in the Night Court, but Applejack keeps pigs, sheep, and cows on her farm, and they all talk. Heck, I think Fluttershy's pet bunny could talk, and Twilight's owl takes notes for her. They seem sentient and sophent, feeling, thinking beings, but they seem to have no rights," you ask, curious about this from the show as well. Luna seems to take a moment to formulate her answer too, as if such a question had never occurred to her, and she needs to phrase the answer properly. However, after a few moments, she nods, and turns to you.

"I can see where your concern comes from, but I assure you, what happens isn't slavery. We would never force anyone to do anything. If you've spent any time with Fluttershy and that...rabbit," you hear hatred in her voice at that, as she's apparently not a fan of the bunny, "He's the dominate one in their relationship. And though Owloysius seems to be a pet, he has rights, and could refuse Twilight, if she did anything that warranted such a response, though I doubt she would ever do anything to harm him, he's a friend, after all."

"As for the farm animals, they are allowed freedom as well, but we ponies keep such being safe from the dangers of our world. You mentioned that this place seems less hectic than your old life, but that's not always true. Creatures, both powerful and terrible in their hunger and wrath, roam our world. To such beings, anyone save a pony would be an easy meal, and so we offer them sanctuary within the bounds of our homes and towns, and in exchange they help us in the ways they can," she says, and you nod. It sounds like arguments you'd heard before, the powerful 'protecting' the weak from things they cannot fight. Still, the things you'd seen in the show do indicate that outside pony controlled lands, life was harsh, and it might be appealing to live in a place where you weren't lunch for someone else.

"I can understand that then, but DawnChaser admitted to stealing from a dragon, and no one seemed concerned about that, other than the dragon assaulting a town. Doesn't the dragon have rights?" you ask, and Luna looks at you like you'd just said your hat tastes funny, before bursting out laughing. You would ask what was so funny at this point, but it's actually rather pleasant to hear her laugh, and it was obvious she didn't do it often, so you allowed her to continue until she was finished.

"I apologize, but I forgot for a moment how much this world is likely new to you. No, stealing from a dragon isn't really stealing in the normal sense, as almost everything in a dragon's hoard is stolen already by the being in question, usually because he thinks it's shiny. It's why the dragons, while powerful individually, have never challenged my sister and I, because it's hard for them to work together, as they always want to protect their hoards. We don't engage them much ourselves though, just to be safe. After all, if they thought we were against them, it might be the impetus for them finally getting over their differences and coming together. One dragon is a force of nature, a thousand working together would be the end of the world," she explains to you, and you actually nod, remembering how Spike had acted when he'd started horde building. It also explained why Celestia had sent Twilight and her friends to deal with the dragon in Dragonshy.

"Okay, I get that now. Hmm....I can't think of anything else to ask myself. Any questions for me Princess?" you ask her, and she taps her hoof on her chin for a moment, seemingly lost in thought, before her eyes brighten, and she motions towards the doors out onto your balcony. Walking with her as she gets up, you and she are soon standing under the stars, looking down towards Celestia's room, and she turns to you with a sly smirk on her face.

"I have not a question, but a request. Would you wish upon a star for me?" she asks sweetly, sounding like she was asking for the time, or something simple, as you turn your gaze to the sky above, and the twinkling lights that dot the shadowy sky.

PreviousChapters Next