• Published 8th Feb 2012
  • 11,120 Views, 944 Comments

Equestria: A Flux Tale - Star Sage



A Tiny Human lands in Equestria. Why? What? Who? Questions to be answered, and a quest to be found.

  • ...
47
 944
 11,120

PreviousChapters Next
A Battle Begins

The feeling of flying is a great one. Freedom, joy, and just the power of the veritech. It's all cobbled together inside you, almost a match in brightness for that glowing ball of magic that had produced your ride. Behind you, flying in an odd formation, you see the Wonderbolts, Spitfire in the lead, while Soarin and Snowbolt take trailing positions. Rather than staying in a triangle pattern though, they're swirling around her, corkscrewing and juking wildly, while she flies straight forward, her eyes focused on you, as you pull away from them, gaining altitude, until you decide to level off a bit at around twelve hundred meters, your gauges stopping their wild climbs, and you cutting back on your thrusters, as the trio continue to spiral into the sky.

Then the world explodes. Or at least, that's what it seems like. You'd been so focused on Spitfire, following her ascent, that you hadn't noticed when Snowbolt peeled off the formation, diving under you, and kicking out, sparks flying from his foreshoes, and slamming hard into your veritech, scoring the Wonderbolts the first point in your little game. Luckily, you react almost instinctively, and pull to the side after the first impact, which rattles your teeth with the vibration of it. This is lucky because as you do, several more bolts fly past where you'd been, both from above, below, and behind, as Soarin comes at you from overhead, and Spitfire takes your rear, the three using their greater numbers to try and box you in, a classic maneuver.

This would spell doom for a normal aircraft, it wouldn't be able to handle the stress on the frame needed for getting out of the kill box of the three ponies. The veritech, as stated, is no normal aircraft though, and with a few pushes on the pedals and your feet, and pulling the stick back, you suddenly start a corkscrew movement of your own, spinning rapidly in the sky, and throwing off the aim of the three firing at you. Snowbolt and Soarin even nearly hit each other as you pass between them and they try to lead you a bit. Spitfire, meanwhile, stops kicking and instead turns off from the straight line course. Normally, that would be the best idea, to put some distance between her and you, but as you spin in your spiral, you suddenly cut power to the right thruster, and spin around, bringing her right into your sights, while the other two are busy trying to avoid their own shots.

This meant you were left with a clear firing arc, right at Spitfire, who realized too late that your weapons functioned better with more distance between, as your FoF(Friend or Foe) system had already tagged her a hostile, and so, when she came in your sights, you fired your gun, several shots of yellow light coming out of the gunpod situated below the cockpit. It moves a little with her, the computer making a thousand calculations a second as it adjusts. Like you'd told the Professor, in this mode, the gun was at its least accurate, only able to turn a degree or two from straight forward, but Spitfire was far enough away, that a degree or two was all it took, and she suddenly found her sky lit up all around her, and as she juked to the side, a shot took her tight between the wings, making her cry out.

"Argh! That stings!" she shouts, and then flaps away, her angle becoming too much, and you now having to dodge more incoming fire from Soarin and Snowbolt, who both come at you, hard, from behind. Realizing there's no way to dodge them all in the sky, you quickly hit the deck, diving into the buildings of Ponyville, ignoring a few collision alarms that blared in your ear as you hit the dirt, and then dove in between the massive shadows of Sugar Cube Corner and the building beside it, turning hard around it, and then going between the next two, barely threading it at the speed you were going, but forcing the pursuing pair to follow, allowing you to do something both dangerous, and stupid, as you pointed your thrusters down as you leveled off, shooting into the sky once more.

Normally, such a move would have resulted in them shooting at you, and nailing you a few times before you could retarget, as you were now stationary in the sky. However, because they were busy making sure they didn't slam into anything, they didn't notice you, shooting up, and a quick pull on the lever shifted you back into the humanoid battloid mode, your gun firmly gripped in your left hand, as you aimed down, and got off two quick shots. Both hit their targets square on, Soarin's on his head, and Snowbolt's on his left wing, causing both of them to spiral in the air for a moment, before slamming into a flower cart, probably snacks, considering the diets of the ponies, and a billboard, respectively. Neither seemed worse for the wear though, as they quickly recovered, and you pulled the lever down again, and shifted back into jet mode, shooting off.

Normally, you would expect season combat veterans to hang back if they'd just gotten shot at like that, to study you a bit more, but the Wonderbolts press the attack, Spitfire coming at you at an angle, while the other two come at you from below, all firing rapidly at your position, kicking forward. Still, you aren't being caught flat footed this time, and dip around most of their shots, before hitting the jets to maximum, skimming the roofs of Ponyville as you turn around, and then fly just a few inches above them. The trio, seeing this, all swoop in, going into a triangular formation as they do, no longer firing wildly, but instead in three streams, designed to box you in at an angle, and finally nail you when you had nowhere else to fly.

This maneuver had no chance of success, mostly due to the environment. For one thing, you had lots of cover in the skies of Ponyville, and proved it by dodging around a small tree, causing Soarin's fire to flash into the leaves, and allowing you to do a roll out of the line of Snowbolt's fire, just as Spitfire herself brought her own shots in towards where you would have been if the three had been able to maintain their rapid fire rates. Soarin, looping around the tree, tries to re-aim at you, but before he can, you spin around, and bring your gun to bare on him, firing at him wildly. The shots have no chance to connect, of course, as the angle is too steep, and Soarin's too close, allowing the blue sky pony to peel off and fly low in between the buildings to dodge your fire, but with a hole in their formation, you punch the jets til they squeal, and rocket away again.

The three quickly gather together again, in the skies, but rather than stay in formation, you watch as they break away once more, each flying randomly away from you, and then pulling split second turns to move towards you again, coming at you in some random flying patterns. Looking at that, you smirk, remembering they haven't seen every attack you have, and you quickly turn your engines off, and begin a rolling dive towards the ground, spinning everything in a circle, causing the three to look at you, and to hang back, just within range of your gun, but also just in range to peel off if they need to. Not that that helps, as the targeting computer beeps at you, locking missiles on them, and you let them fly, hearing a staccato of three thumps as six missiles launch.

The missiles come from the rear of your fighter, panels opening up and allowing them to drop out, before their fly sharp and true forward, their little contrails behind them links to their mother craft as you come to a stop in your roll, and watch as they fly. Soarin is the first to pick up on the missiles coming towards him, and even reacts quickly, as two missiles flying at him suddenly burst, and become six, just like on the show, and so he kicks out, while flying away, using his rear hooves to shoot at them. Being heavy missiles, fired from the fighter mode, these models are actually pretty much forward firing things, and so, thanks to Soarin running straight away, they stay with him. However, they're also not smart, and so his fire straight behind nails one, then two, then two more, causing the remaining two to explode from the jarring concussion of their others in such quick succession, leaving a billowing cloud of multicolored dust in the air between you and Soarin.

Snowbolt and Spitfire, meanwhile, merely dip above and below the incoming fire, the missiles getting farther and farther away, before doing that pixilation thing, and then popping into little drops of light, like anything you stop touching when you make it through magic. Before they can draw a bead on your current position, you cut all power to your engines, dropping once more towards the earth below, and then punching the jets again, even the g-diffuser having handling the sudden acceleration as you shoot forward, quickly followed by three blue streaks. The Wonderbolts don't fire another shot as you pull away from them for a moment, before reentering Ponyville and leading them on a merry chase through the buildings again.

Much like before, you can't seem to lose them, and this time, you doubt they'll fall for the sudden turn around trick, so instead you decide to try something different, pulling back on the stick as you reach city hall again, and rising out of the buildings, the streaks of the Wonderbolts following you. Smirking, you reach down, and putting your hand on the lever between F and B, this one marked G, you pull, and are rewarded with not only becoming much slower very quickly, but the sound of the plane shifting around you. Your jets move and adjust, becoming the legs of battloid mode, hanging off the jet chassis you're in, while the arms fold out as well, the left grabbing the gun pod automatically, as aiming reticules appear, and you hear the satisfying beeps of three lockons as the Wonderbolts, unable to stop as you have, pass you by, flying straight upward.

You scream, you aren't sure why, it just feels right, as you squeeze the trigger for guns and missiles, the gun targeting Spitfire, while you just unload every missile the Guardian mode of your veritech has. The biggest advantage of this mode is the increased accuracy of the gun, now held in hand, so able to move much more freely, but while retaining missiles. In fact, the guardian's light missiles are a bit faster, a bit more maneuverable, and a bit more numerous, two missiles launching from the veritech splitting into eight as they fly, while also juking and rolling, showing their maneuverability to the trio. They of course, try to dodge and fire behind themselves, but this time, there's simply too many missiles flying, and they actually dodge the incoming fire from the Wonderbolts, one taking Soarin between the wings, while another takes Snowbolt in his chest.

Interestingly, Spitfire dodges the swarm, twisting in the sky around them, even as you fire a constant stream of magic bullets up at her, their yellow glow passing just inches, in your scale even, from her feathers, while constantly kicking behind her, all the missiles now locked on, turning from the two 'hit' targets, towards her. Luckily....well for you, not her, she's still just one pony, and soon, even turning around and kicking with all fours isn't enough, as one of the missiles flies around her, then pulls a u-turn in the air, and slams into the back of her head, spreading a green dust in her mane that makes her look ridiculous, while Soarin is sporting a purple splotch on his back, and Snowbolt's got pink on his chest.

You laugh at that, but then are forced to spin and run, as they begin firing rapidly at you, forcing you away. This time, however, they keep you from hitting the deck, Soarin laying down fire in a line below you every time you try to drop altitude, as they lay down pretty heavy fire at your rear, and you're forced to shift to fighter mode to keep away from them. Soon, this doesn't even work, as they seem to be gaining speed almost as fast as you are, and even maxing the jets, they are keeping up. Heck, Spitfire, looking pissed, is actually gaining on you. Now out of tricks, you suddenly think of an idea. There's a way to milk more speed out of a veritech, but it might be too complex for you to do to something already made, but if it worked, boy would they be surprised.

So you close your eyes, ignoring the hail of fire around you, as you focus through your control stick, trying to feel the whole of the veritech around you. It felt weird, almost like teleporting, as you let your mind reach out, and touch every edge of the jet's body. Then when you had the whole thing in your mind, you tried to pull at it, warping the shape around you. Behind you, wire frame images seemed to be drawn in the air, taking the form of two huge things mounted on the top of your jet, while smaller constructs appeared at angles, adding an odd glowing look to the veritech. Behind, the Wonderbolts stopped firing, none of them sure what was going on, at least until the wire frames began to get filled in, and suddenly your jet had two massive auxiliary jets mounted on it, that roared to life the instant they came into existence.

The extra speed was astounding, and the Wonderbolts were left in your dust, none of them speaking for a moment, before Spitfire ordered them to fly forward, best speed, and her squadmates complied, their shapes becoming indistinct blurs, as all four of your streaked away from Ponyville, into the mountains, and then beyond, towards a massive castle in the distances. Below, several shapes began to move about furiously, one to contact someone, one to arrange transport, and one just to shout at the proceedings, loving how exciting it had been so far, and wishing you three had stayed for more.

PreviousChapters Next