• Published 8th Feb 2012
  • 11,127 Views, 944 Comments

Equestria: A Flux Tale - Star Sage



A Tiny Human lands in Equestria. Why? What? Who? Questions to be answered, and a quest to be found.

  • ...
47
 944
 11,127

PreviousChapters Next
Dawn of Another Battle

The morning meal was finished, and again, you cheated, just imagining away all the debris and things that were left after the meal. Smiling at you, this time not even bothering to say it, Octavia rose from her seat and then walking over to where you were. This time it was she who pulled your chair out, and then, as you rose, she leapt upward, and wrapped her forelegs around you in a hug, before kissing you right on your lips.

“Heh, what was that for?” you ask, as she lets go and settles down on all fours again.

“Just to remind you that you're mine,” she said with a rather girlish tint to her voice. She then walked to the door to your room and opened it. Followed her into the hall, you found, as one might expect, your personal guards, the Wonderbolt Squardon of Rainbow Dash, Soarin, and Spitfire, just waiting for you, their bodies coming to rigid attention as you came into sight.

“Awaiting orders, Marquis,” said Spitfire, and you nod.

“Well, I've been told to report to the Professor's Lab by Their Majesties, so I suppose we should make our way there,” you tell them, and they instantly start to march towards the direction that would take you towards the castle's main gate. Then you suddenly get an idea, and with a whistle, call them back.

“You know, going out the front door seems a bit....mundane. How's about we do something exciting instead?” you ask the three, Dash's eyes instantly lighting up with that mischievous glint the fans knew her for. Soarin and Spitfire meanwhile just nod, both having their 'professional' faces on. Octavia meanwhile looks a little confused as you usher the group back into your room.

“What are you planning?” she asks at last, as the door closes, and you lead everypony onto the balcony outside.

“Just a bit of fun,” you tell her, trying not to sound too evil as you walk right up to the edge.

“This won't destroy anything, will it?” she asks as she joins you, and you shake your head no, as you hold out your hand to her.

“Not a thing, just something to demonstrate just what kind of power I now have,” you explain, and she, very hesitantly, puts her hoof in your palm. The instant it touches skin, you grip hard, and then pull her off, getting a short scream from her before the Bolts, a bit of panic in their faces, shoot after you. Meanwhile, you just keep smiling at Octavia as you close your eyes and touch that star deep inside yourself.

There's no flash, no morphing of anything. Just one moment, the two of your are falling fast, and the next, you're at the controls of a Veritech, with Octavia in the rear seat, her screams muffled by the helmet around your head as you pull back on the control stick, and pull sharply out of a nose dive, into a hovering position, as the Wonderbolts fly near your cockpit.

“You can stop with the shouting now,” you tell Octavia, who keeps it up for a few seconds longer, before she opens her eyes and looks around, finding herself surrounded by the metal gleaming body of the vehicle.

“What, what?” is all she can say, and you get a laugh out of that, only to feel a sharp rap on the back of your head where she hits you.

“Sorry, ow, stop hitting me!” you tell her as another series of blows land. You then push the controls forward, getting a small forward motion out of your craft, pointing your nose towards your destination.

“Only because you said you're sorry without prompting. But if you ever do anything like that again, I'll make sure you know what being sorry really means,” she declares, and you nod, the tone in her voice saying she means it. Luckily, the Bolts couldn't hear anything said inside the veritech, as you press a button to turn on the external speakers.

“Let's fly Bolts, and see if you can keep up,” you challenge, pressing the pedals at your feet to get some kinks out of your tail, before pressing the throttle forward, and shooting off. Octavia, to her credit, didn't scream at all, though that might have been because she was pressed firmly into the back of her seat as you jetted over Canterlot, creating quite the stir, as the Wonderbolts, the fastest fliers in the world, were left in your dust.

Unfortunately, you didn't get to do too much flying as you very quickly made it to the lab outside of Canterlot. In the field, standing in front of it were the Apprentices, the Princesses, and a dozen others, including those stands which were full again of various people. Heck, there were more bleachers than the other day, probably attracted by the stories of what had happened, and you smirked as you decided to give them a show.

Flipping the veritech so it's nose began to point to the sky, you pulled on the lever marked B in front of you, causing the jet to start its transformation. The cockpit changed, with Octavia above you instead of behind, even as the robot took shape, doing a backflip in the air mid transformation, before it came right again, and you plummeted, landing with a loud bang, your fist driving itself into the dirt and creating a crater beneath you.

Rising, you looked around as the dust finally started to settle, only to be surprised when you couldn't see anyone. Then you realized that your were bigger now, the veritech, rather than being human scale, was instead a large robot, with a head almost two stories higher than that of the lab. Looking down, you found everyone staring up at you, which made you grin, even as you willed the vehicle away, holding out your hand to grasp Octavia's rear hoof.

The veritech suddenly wasn't there, and you hovered in the air where it had been for a moment, using your power to slowly lower yourself and Octavia to the ground. Gently as you could, you set her down, smirking as the Wonderbolts finally caught up, their own landings far less spectacular as they fell from the sky and came to a halt at the crater's edge.

“Showoff,” you heard Dash say, as you willed another change, repairing the damage to the ground, and causing the fifty foot across crater to vanish, leaving you and your grey marefriend standing in front of a hushed crowd.

“Lot's of people here today,” you comment, more to yourself than anyone else. All around the place were bleachers. It was like a high school stadium really. Nothing huge, only a few hundred eyes, but from so many varied faces that it became hard to keep track.

“Indeed. We announced that you would have an epic struggle today, one greater than all the past ones put together, and so they came from all over the city, and a little farther to bear witness,” chimed the silvery voice of Cadence, as she, Celestia, and Luna walked up to you.

“Oh?” you ask, intrigued.

“Today, you shall fight them,” she offered, waving her hoof to the other side of the field. At that end stood....everyone. No really, all the Apprentices, DawnChaser himself, several of the guards, Royal, Night, and even Crystal, and even that Starstorm pony.

“That's a lot of people to fight,” you comment, as the group picks themselves up. Some must have been lounging in the morning sun, but were slowly picking themselves up. Some, like Diamond Eye and Starstorm, were readying themselves for combat, while others, like Deasly and Rex, waved happily at you.

“That is the point. You have bested many of them with the skills and tools We have made available to you. Now you have been restored to your own power, and We wish to see how well it compares,” says Luna in her most proper tone, though the glint in her eye tells you she's looking forward to the show.

“You know, that doesn't sound half bad,” you tell her with a smirk, and then clap your hands together. Instantly there is a bright flash of light, and when it clears, you stand in your golden armor. The thing is loose fitting, with an undersuit made of some white material, and a long flowing red cape on the back. The suit was, of course, the copy of something from back home, this time an old cartoon called King Arthur and the Knights of Justice.

“Let's dance the dance of battle once more,” you say, slamming your fist into your chest. The emblem of a blade shines bright light, and out of it pops a sword. It was similar to your blade made of Prism Stone, but lighter, with a hilt that perfectly match the gauntlets you wore. Testing the blade, you spun it with one hand, twirling the thing over your head, and then sweeping it in front of you. The sharp edge sliced through grass as easily as air, and several blades flew between you and your opponents.

“Most impressive,” said Luna, as she, Celestia, and Cadence departed, landing on the top of one of the sets of bleachers. Octavia, looking concerned for a heartbeat, just rushed forward, kissed you on the cheek, and the rushed towards where Vinyl sat, the two mares quickly starting a conversation. Oddly, you could hear said conversation when you focused, with Octavia in hushed tones demanding to know of Vinyl knew about this, and getting a few quick verbal dodges in return.

Turning your attention from the pair, you looked towards the assemblage. It was a vast army to stand against a single opponent, but some would be more difficult then others. Starstorm made ready his weapons, a few daggers flashing into being in front of him. Beside him Diamond eye wore a satchel on his side, and he took out several bottles, one after another, shaking their contents lightly, before selecting a pair of potions, one purple, and one blue, aiming both straight towards you.

Next to them were Strongarm and Rex. The earth pony was stamping his hoof into the dirt, creating rather deep divots, though whether it was to intimidate you, or just to test how strong he was, you couldn't say. Rex meanwhile was wearing those strength enhancing bands. Not one on each arm like you normally did, but several, on both arms and legs. Even from this distance, you could taste the magic in the things, and when he slammed his fist into the ground, it created a crater almost as big as your veritech had done.

Across from that pair were three sets of Guards. The Royal Guards, of Princess Celestia, stood proud and tall, their armor, both the pegasi and unicorn variants, glinting wickedly in the morning light. The apparently had never sat down, despite however long you must have kept them waiting, and their chosen weapons, spears to a stallion, stood tall and ready to be hurled in your direction.

The Night Guards, of Princess Luna's stock, were not so finely dressed. Their armor, rather than shine, looked like pieces of midnight forged into solid metal. The blackness of their stock seemed to absorb the light, and they, seemingly having been asleep, rose slowly, bat pony types breathing gouts of flame into the air(As you'd discovered, the armor they wore was like your old sheath, made of dragon hide, and giving dragon flame), while beside them, unicorns seemingly made of shadows flitted in and out of sight.

Finally were the Crystal Guard, Cadence's personal forces. They had been trained by Shining Armor, at least for the last few months. All save two wielded swords, either using hoof or magic, depending on their armor, but it was their coats that made them dangerous, as several of them were using their crystal fur to focus light from the sun into tight beams, creating shimmering patches of glass in the dirt around them.

Others you recognize quickly. The Professor was an interesting sight, as DawnChaser tended to avoid the early morning games. That was mostly because he and Cadence had something against each other, though you never did find out what, just that it involved an invasion of privacy by the purple unicorn. He seemed ready to fight though, as he practiced several spells, first growing to about dragon height, and then returning to normal and making copies of himself.

All around the ponies, and a dragon, a dog, and what might be a phoenix, get ready for battle. The air in the field is tense, as they all get up, nodding one after another towards the Princesses. Weaving your sword through a quick dance in front of you, you mimic the motion as the last of them does so, a small glow forming in front of Celestia's face, so you can hear the slight cough calling for attention and silence.

“Today, honored guests, we are going to show you a treat. The Human has agreed to a test of his combat prowess against multiple opponents, many of whom you may have heard he competed with in the past. Some were victories, some were defeats, but now with his powers returned, we wish to put him to task,” came her voice, echoing over the empty air.

“Without further ado, I call on you all today to fight your hardest. The human, I doubt, will be holding back, and his powers are at least on par with those of Our Children. Now fight, and make the nation of Equestria proud,” she says, a magical gong sound filling the sky, before the battle cries of dozens of voices reached your ears, all of them with weapons or spells raised against you, standing their with your sword it one hand.

PreviousChapters Next