• Published 8th Feb 2012
  • 11,127 Views, 944 Comments

Equestria: A Flux Tale - Star Sage



A Tiny Human lands in Equestria. Why? What? Who? Questions to be answered, and a quest to be found.

  • ...
47
 944
 11,127

PreviousChapters Next
A New Opponent

The sun was just cresting the horizon when your eyes popped open. You weren't quite as groggy as you usually were after a night with Luna, probably a result of her not challenging you to some kind of game, but still, you almost wished the sun would go back down for a few minutes so you could get some more shut eye. Seeing as how Celestia wasn't one to reverse her day, you got up instead, stretched a bit, and then stood up.

“Another day, another dull party,” you tell yourself as you walk over to the sink. Turning on the tap, you get a good flow of warm liquid flowing from it, splashing it against your face, cleaning off a bit of grime that had been building, before walking towards the mannequin that held your armor.

“Hinges clean, armor smooth, and smelling *sniff, sniff* like it needs a good washing,” you said to yourself, slipping into the undersuit easily, and then snapping on the various pieces of armor. Standing there, your hands move towards where you typically kept your belt, before you remembered it was under your mattress. Idly, you toy with the idea of leaving the weapon, maybe getting out of training that way, but dismiss the thought as you go over and grab it.

“By the Power of Ponyskull! I have the power!” you yell quietly, drawing the blade and holding it upwards. The image of yourself in the mirror made you laugh, and you replaced the weapon into its scabbard as you slipped the belt on, before finally going to the door.

“Morning,” said a gruff, and very familiar voice, as the Captain, as well as about a dozen guards stood outside your apartment, all looking ready for combat.

“Um...good morning. Is there some kind of battle on?” you ask as you step out into the hall, and then look at all the various faces staring at you, mostly stallions in the unicorn armor, though some pegasi as well, with mares scattered among them.

“No, if there was, I would have shoved you back into your room, and bolted the door shut to keep you from doing something stupid during it,” he informed you, his tone all serious this morning, none of the playfulness he usually had for you when he saw you when you first awaken in the morning.

“Uh, well, I suppose that's kind of you. So, what's up with the guard force then?” you asked, noticing a few familiar looking muzzles in the crowd.

“This party tonight, that Fancy Pants is throwing, has brought in diplomats as well as business leaders from other kingdoms. As such, I requested that the Princesses allow me to assign extra security to you,” he explained as you walked beside him.

“And she agreed?” you ask, surprised mostly because this wasn't the first time the Captain had wanted to give you a whole squad for protection, which Princess Celestia usually blew off.

“For today? Yes, yes she did. I didn't ask why, I was just glad she allowed it for once. I like you, and I don't want to see anyone at this party pestering you, or worse,” he tells you, and you almost feel like mocking that sentiment, but then get a look at his face. He really does seem serious about this, including the liking you part.

“Well, I suppose I can put up with it then. Still, it's going to be a dull party, if that last one was any indication. You sure this is necessary?” you ask him, as your little party marches downstairs, towards the palace dining hall.

“I do indeed. You're getting better with your sword, I'll admit. I've heard the reports, including you being able to blow away Rex yesterday. But you still don't have a soldier's instincts, and some of these big wigs are going to be vicious,” he informs you as you enter the room. The squad behind you fans out the instant they're through the door, most taking seats that already had plates at them, meaning they'd been forced to get up to come meet you with the Captain. Oddly, not a single one was complaining about it as they resumed conversation. That made you feel really good about yourself, for some reason.

“Okay, I suppose that's true. But you're sure the Palace can spare the personnel?” you question, as you grab a plate yourself, getting a few bits of toast and pieces of fruit, while avoiding the hayflakes that were this morning's centerpiece.

“I'm sure about that. The Princesses already have us on high alert, so I've been able to draft a few of the Bolts, both Wonder and Shadow, into the Guards for the day. That means extra eyes in the sky, which means I can put some more horns on the ground,” he explains, sitting down next to you. He didn't have a tray, but you figured he'd eaten earlier, and so start as soon as you're seated.

“So, Fancy Pants' party has brought in visitors from all over?” you ask as you bite into an apple, one of Sweet Apple Acres finest.

“More even. It seems his new found gains, thanks to a rather interesting alliance between a mad doctor and his business savvy sister, has brought in his investors from at least four different kingdoms. I think everything will be fine,” he told you, his voice radiating with confidence.

“But it's better to be safe than sorry,” you finish his thought, while munching on a bit of toast. The rest of the meal is silent, with you ogling the ponies eating, just stuffing their faces. Compared to them, your plate felt almost empty. Luckily, they ate fast, and so you, as well as your contingent of guards soon exited the dining hall to find the corridor outside had a group of three pegasi waiting.

None of the Bolts said anything, though Rainbow stuck out her tongue at one of the guards as she joined in the procession, the whole group marching in step. That last bit made you even more self conscious about your lack of speed, as you could watch each of the ponies hobble their steps, having to take smaller ones, while the pegasi just sort of looped every once in a while to keep up. You were so focused on that though, that you only noticed the empty palace foyer when you were already walking out the front door.

“Where's the media vultures?” you ask as your group starts down the road, the whole of your guards spreading out, while about the castle you can see streaks of black and blue, the two kinds of bolts keeping tabs on the place.

“A security risk that great needs to be dealt with on a day like today...also they'd rather follow the various dignitaries around the city today, hoping for some juicy story, rather than languish in the palace where all they're likely to get is a restraining order,” he explains after a moment, and you nod, leading the way through the city towards DawnChaser's lab.

The city of Canterlot was hopping too. Various ponies, among many others, were plying their trades, which ranged from trying to sell clothing and food, to trying to sign up some of the guards that the foreigners had brought into their own employ. Of course, your group got some looks, not only because of you, but because of the sheer number of guards with you.

Not that anyone makes a scene about it. Not with minotaurs, gryphons, and what looks like a dragon, all mingled in with the usual Canterlot fare. Heck, with the city guard out in force, there's actually quite a few ponies in uniform at most intersections, meaning traffic was a breeze this morning, and you made it to the lab earlier than usual.

“What's all this?” you ask as you round the lab and look out on your usual sparring field. Most of the time you would arrive and some of the apprentices, and a few of the ponies of Canterlot would be waiting, now you had two sets of bleachers set up, with several dozen spectators of various species on them, all looking towards you, which made your hand instinctively go for your sword.

“Ah, finally, I've been waiting for you to show up,” came the voice of your usual trainer. Shining, along with Cadence and a pony you weren't familiar with, were sitting on the sidelines chatting with a crystal pony, who looked rather bored, but didn't seem to mind when the three of them walked over towards you.

“I see that....who are all these people, and why do I want to run and hide?” you ask, a bit nervously, especially when your guards join the crowd, with Dash moving between a few you recognize as those who placed bets on some of your training before. She seemed to be getting the heads up on what was going on faster than you, as she looked at you with one of those wicked smiles of her's. Whatever was coming, she was going to enjoy it, and that meant you more than likely were not.

“Because large crowds make you nervous,” he says honestly, and you really can't do anything but nod.

“Humph, this is the great savior of Equestria? Afraid of a few spectators,” said the pony you didn't know. He was a unicorn, not a crystal pony or anything, just a normal unicorn. Well, mostly normal. His coat was grey, with a short cropped mane that seemed to be red with stripes of darker red in it, giving him a blood like halo around his head. The overall effect was something interesting, as your eyes kind of slid off him. Most of him anyway. His eyes, they were a different story, they were bright blue, and held your gaze, until he blunk, and then just sort of slipped away.

“Now Starstorm, none of that. After all, you've never seen him fight. He took my husband on one on one, and he can come out ahead sometimes,” said Princess Cadence, and you shot a smile her way, while trying to ignore the unicorn's glare.

“Humph, that's not a bad feat, but I'm sure the Prince was holding back. I won't be impressed until I've taken his measure myself,” he tells you, and then turns invisible. No, really, one second you're looking straight at him, nothing passes before your eyes, and you're almost certain you don't blink, but then he's just gone, and you quickly spin around, hand on your blade, before Shining comes next to you and puts his hoof on your shoulder.

“Heh, fast, isn't he?” asked the Prince, pointing with one hoof towards the other side of the field, where Starstorm is now standing, his hooves idly clopping at the dirt as he stares at you.

“Very, and I have to fight him, don't I?” you admit to him as you draws the sword out of its sheath, and hold it in a guard position.

“Yep. I figured you'd gotten used to me as an opponent, and you showed yesterday that the dog is your equal, so no real use training against him. Starstorm is a different story though,” he tells you, walking with you towards your usual starting position across the field. When you get there, you notice the bands you usually wore for training were sitting in the grass, and quickly slip them on, feeling their magic flow into you.

“Who is he?” you ask as you keep one eye towards the distant pony, forcing yourself to continue staring at him, even when your eyes want to turn away.

“He's one of Cadence's most effective guards, a Smoke Knight, one who becomes as mist. He's a master of stealth, combat magic, among a few other things. He's been keeping tabs on some things for us in a gryphon kingdom of late, but returned last night to deliver a report to my wife. Since he's here, I figured you could use a nice good beating, so I asked him if he'd train you a bit,” said the stallion, and you fight the urge to smack him with the flat of your blade.

“So, he's my opponent. No biggie. I think I can take him,” you tell Shining Armor, not really feeling confident, but at least trying to put on a good front.

“Heh, that would be something to see. Anyway, you've got your blade today, and I want to see you try and use it against him. No holding back, not like when we fight. Him, you can go full bore on, I know I do when I spar with him. It won't help, by the way, but it'll be a more interesting show,” he tells you, a grin on his face which you notice out of the corner of your eye.

“Thank you for the rousing speech. Call the match, and I think I'll surprise you,” you tell him, and the stallion's grin seems to get even bigger, before he trots out towards the center of the sparring field.

“Mares, Gentlecolts, and honored guests of Equestria, welcome to the show,” said Shining, his horn glowing with some spell that made his voice loud enough to be heard in the bleachers.

“I know some of you are wondering what's going on today, so I'll be brief. I've been training the Human, the Defeater of Discord, the Conqueror of Chaos, to fight for the last few weeks, as sort of an experiment,” he goes on, pointing a hoof towards you.

“Now, he's learned quite a lot in that time, but today I have a special test to see just how good he's gotten, as today we have a special combatant to test his might against, the Smoke Knight, Starstorm,” as he said the name, his hoof shot out towards the unicorn stallion, who doesn't even move, his eyes staying on you.

“Today we're going to see just how well my training's working, and I think those of you placing wagers will find the odds are just a bit off. Now then, let's have a good, clean match gentlecolts, and may the best pony win,” he told the pair of you, turning to face you, then Starstorm, before walking off the field, throwing a small ball of magic into the air as he got to the bleachers, the blast of which marked the start of the match.

You wasted no time today, rushing forward. This was a new opponent, one who probably had gotten some heads up on your abilities as a fighter earlier. Worse, you knew nothing of his style, his powers, or anything other than his name. That meant you either had to play this cautiously, or play it aggressively. Not being one for the former, you chose the latter, and bound across the field, only six steps carrying you over one hundred yards.

Remembering what Shining had said, you don't hold back at all, your blade whistling through the air over your head as you bring it down in a powerful slash. You weren't sure what it was about Starstorm, but the unicorn had seemed like he could take it. That arrogant tone to his voice might also have had something to do with it, but you hoped you'd be beyond such feelings by now, as your blade comes down hard right onto the stallion's head.

Well, it should have anyway. Instead you're treated to the image of the blade passing into the pony, who doesn't react at all, as his whole body just sort of shifts out of the way, leaving the after image of it slipping through him, before the blade slams into the ground with a loud crack, chunks of dirt and sod flying in every direction.

Unable to move quickly enough to do anything else, you're instead forced to watch in slow motion as the stallion comes around behind you, and with a gentle tap it seems, sending you vaulting forward, your face slamming into the ground and sliding for almost ten yards before your able to stop yourself, grabbing the grass with one hand and sort of swinging into a standing position, your sword gripped in your left hand as you face the Smoke Knight.

“Humph, throwing too much into your attacks,” he advises you, before he just seems to vanish again, and your look everywhere around you. You spot him again, this time standing in your starting position across the field, a rather bored look on his face.

“True, but you can't win it big if you're not willing to take some risks!” you shout over at him, and then jam your blade into the ground. Using it like a lever, you rip some sod into the air, and then swing the blade so the flat of it smacks the airborne bit of dirt and grass. The impact scatters the stuff towards the unicorn, who has to dodge a few pebbles, only to find you rushing up right behind them, your blade coming from the side this time, so he can't dance around it.

“Wha?” you say, as your sword hits him, only to mildly tickle him, getting a chuckle out of the Smoke Knight, because your sword is instead a feather duster, one you recognize as belonging to the Professor. Your blade, meanwhile, is held in the hoof of its intended victim, who uses the flat of the sword to bat you away, your armor ringing as your fly, only to land on one hand, and do a flip in the air, coming to rest on your heels, staring at a rather smug looking unicorn.

“Smoke Knights are trained in the art of misdirection, and a bit of thievery,” he says, and then suddenly he's holding the duster, and you've got your sword back. You don't even bother to respond, instead hopping backwards, landing at the other end of the field and just staring at your opponent, who has that annoying smug smile on his lips again that nearly makes you charge him once again. You refuse the impulse though, and instead try to think. He was fast. Faster than anyone you'd fought before. But speed like that...it wasn't possible. It was a trick, and thinking among all the possibilities, you narrow them down until you find your mark.

Without a sign, you suddenly vault forward, gambling a bit on your guess at the source of his agility as you do so. That meant just before you got to him, you stopped in midstride, suddenly whipping around and using the side of your blade as a bat. You flail with it blindly, hoping that you can strike home, and luckily, as you spin like a top, you feel and hear an impact, your eyes just barely seeing the unicorn's form behind you, before he appears again in front, his body swaying a bit as if from the shock of impact.

“Got you!” you cry out, taking a chance and tossing your blade in a spinning motion at him, creating a whirling disk of death in his general direction. Before he can do anything else, you pull the sheath of the blade to your lips, and with a short series of blows, you toss several fireballs at him, the flaming spheres breaking apart on the ground and flaring high, even as the grass they strike becomes ash, and the dirt beneath gains a glassy sheen.

Starstorm doesn't seem to move for a moment, still recovering from that hard blow you'd given him, but as the sword nears him, he ducks, visibly so instead of just the sword seeming to phase through him. Then, as the flames leap high about him, he charges forward, his face twisted into a rather feral expression. Obviously he was used to playing his opponents more than he was getting to here, and that meant he was mad. Mad people mad mistakes, as Shining Armor continually pointed out to you.

Think that, you spun again, this time bringing the sheath to bare behind you, and getting a second satisfying thunk of fur on leather, as the Smoke Knight had decided the first time you'd caught him as a fluke, and tried the exact same tactic again. He was so surprised this time though, that instead of reappearing where he had been, he goes sprawling into the dirt, while you, seeing an opportunity to regain your weapon, leap backwards over the flames landing with almost perfect precision where you'd tossed it.

Picking your weapon back up, you consider reattaching the sheath where it was at your side, but then decide to smirk as you instead flip it around and hold it like a second blade in your off hand. The fires between you and your opponent start to clear soon, and you are honestly surprised to find Starstorm still just standing there, his eyes now calm as placid pools, staring at you across the field. The second surprise is that he's visible now, more so than before, at least on the places where you know you'd hit him.

Before you can think to hard about that, he blurs in your vision, and suddenly you have to block attacks from a variety of odd angles. The training with Shining Armor seems to take full effect now, as every attack is seemingly slowed down, and with the bands helping your speed, you can move your arms and weapons into positions to block them, the blade or the sheath taking a hell of a pounding, but neither yielding to the assault until the hail of blows finally ebbs to a stop, Starstorm now staring at you with a questioning look in his deep blue eyes, even as he breathes heavily.

“Heh,” is the only answer you give him, before you charge again, this time with both hands out, your weapons held away from you at your sides. The effect is something like a striking hawk, coming in for the kill on a wounded prey. The effect is somewhat marred though, when said prey starts to wear a smirk mimicking your own, and then blurs away again. This time however, you don't spin, the momentum of your run far too much to do so. Instead, at the first sign of him blurring, you drop your weapons, and hop. Just a short little hop, nothing high, but it was just enough that Starstorm passes below you, and is caught of guard as you land heavily on his back.

“Gah!” is all he has time to say before you legs wrap around his form, his body trying quickly to buck you. Where Shining Armor could dismount you though, the effort from Starstorm proved futile. This was less to do with skill, however, as effort. Namely, your fights with Shining could last an hour or more, but this fight, by your reckoning was still short of five minutes, which meant he had no coating of lather on his sides to make his fur slippery, letting you grip him all the tighter.

Of course, the Smoke Knight has a few more tricks up his hoof than Shining does, and soon your stomach feels like it's being spun around in a blender, as the stallion blurs, with you included, landing all over the field at odd angles, his body slamming yours into the ground more than once. The armor protected you from such strikes, mostly, and while you would probably be sore for a while, nothing broke, the stallion soon really out of breath, rather than just faking it as he had been before.

“Get off!” he shouts at you, ready to buck again, but your just lean forward, bracing yourself and getting closer to his ear.

“Not a chance. Surrender now, or I'll make you wish you'd never gotten out of bed today,” you threaten, which only gets a derisive chuckle from Starstorm. Before he can start with the blurring again though, you put your plan into motion, with one arm wrapped firmly around his neck, while the other suddenly finds itself at the joint where his leg meets his body. Then you start to do the most heinous thing you can think of, wriggling the tips of your fingers in that little pocket of sensitive flesh, the motion of the stallion's body jolting as you do so, with him falling onto his sad, laughter coming out of his mouth unbidden.

“St-ha-stop tha-ha ha-t right now!” he orders, but you've got him right where you want him now, your fingers moving down his chest, continuing to tickle the poor pony, who's eyes are already starting to water as you let go of his neck and now assault his exposed belly with both hands, tickling him harshly, and being rewarded with more cries of laughter.

“I-ha ha ha-I-ha ha-gi-ve-hah-UP!” he finally screams after over a minute of the torture, his body falling flat as you finally cease your assault. His chest heaves in deep gulps of air, even as tears stream down his face, and a few final chuckles escape his mouth. Standing, you smirk down at him, before turning to find most of the crowd giving you applause, both pony style and biped style, while Shining just stares at you, his wife finally nudging him in the ribs and getting him to walk over to you.

“The winner!” he shouts, not even using his magic to make his voice louder, as he lifts you arm upwards.

Author's Note:

Smoke Knights are from Girl Genius, I don't own them, though this version will be a bit different from that. Oh, GG is found here.
http://www.girlgeniusonline.com/comic.php?date=20021104

PreviousChapters Next