• Published 8th Feb 2012
  • 11,127 Views, 944 Comments

Equestria: A Flux Tale - Star Sage



A Tiny Human lands in Equestria. Why? What? Who? Questions to be answered, and a quest to be found.

  • ...
47
 944
 11,127

PreviousChapters Next
Surprises at the Party

“Okay, how the heck did you do that? I've trained with Starstorm for years, and I can't even get him to surrender but maybe two times out of three,” said Shining Armor as the crowd starts to disperse, the show over now. Some look disappointed, probably having placed bets on the outcome of the match, and lost, big time. A few others look like they were expecting more show, and at least once you catch an oddly dark look among the gathered faces, but it passes, and you turn back towards Shining with a smirk.

“Well, that would be telling, but I will say, it has to do with how he does his little winking trick,” you tell the unicorn, who taps his hoof on his head as if in thought, then shakes his head and pokes you with the same.

“Nope, no cryptic stuff. I'm the teacher here, and I get to do that to you, not the other way around. Now, spill, how'd you do that?” he asks again, giving you a reason to laugh in his face, as your Guard, as well as several of the Apprentices comes to gather round.

“Alright, if you must know. I figured that he had to be doing one of two things when he blurred. Either he was stopping time, which I've never seen but might be a possible spell, or he was teleporting,” you starting, getting a few of the gathered friends to nod. Diamond eye, who was always one to remind that his fake eye saw more than any real one, just grinned, probably already having figured out how it worked.

“That seemed unlikely though, since you were letting me fight him in front of the Professor's lab. I know your wife doesn't like them, for some reason, and I doubt she'd let you show him a time stop spell like that,” you continue, looking towards said lab, which had a very familiar purple face in the attic window, just staring out at your little lecture group.

“Okay, well then, that left the other possibility. Teleportation. However, that seemed impossible, since he was able to take my blade, which is forged of Prism Stone, from my hand. You've said before the stuff is immune to magic, right?” you ask, and he shakes his head from side to side.

“Not immune, nothing is immune to magic, but it is resistant. So you figured out he was using portals. I know that, but that doesn't explain how you were able to beat him. I know he does that, and I can't beat him,” explained Shining, deflating your ego a bit, as you had honestly considered that Shining might not have figured out the smoke night trick.

“Yeah, that's what I figured. He was using portals of some kind, passing through them. I also figured out in the middle of that he had some kind of dust on his coat that was making him hard to see. The portals, mixed with that, made it seem like he was moving really quickly,” you tell the others, more than Shining, who's still nodding, obviously expecting you to spill some kind of secret tactic or the like.

“Now, after figuring all that out, I realized he was underestimating me. He could have just teleported above me, and landed with enough force to break my skull. That or he could have teleported me someplace off the field. Whatever his strategy, he could have ended the fight, but instead he was playing with me. I then played him, getting him angry, since at first I couldn't touch him, but then I was hitting him hard, before finally just tricking him with that last attack. If that hadn't worked, I probably would have lost,” you admit, and it's Starstorm's turn to nod, as he finally rises to his hooves.

“Indeed. I would never have figured someone of your stature to be strong enough, or fast enough to catch me, even with the bands enhancing you. The fact that you did so anyway proves how well trained you are, and how much I have yet to learn,” he says, this time with a rather humble tone to his voice, as he bows his head to you. In respect for him, you return the gesture.

“Still, next time, I will not so badly underestimate you as an opponent,” he says with a smirk, the challenging tone in his voice lost as it becomes like the wind, said pony just vanishing. No blur effect, no flash of light, just one moment there, and the next gone. That stallion had some real talent, and you dreaded having to face him again. Meanwhile Shining was still in shock at you victory, walking over to his wife and saying the word impossible several times, as your Guard and the Apprentices drew in closer.

“That wasn't bad. I think we could have taken him way faster, but still, not bad,” said Dash as she fell in beside you.

“Uh, Dash, a Smoke Knight could probably take all of us down without breaking a sweat. I've seen them fight, and they are very tough opponents,” said Spitfire, and Rainbow Dash turns to stare at her. Spitfire was rarely one to admit that she couldn't take somepony in a fight, but this time she spoke with almost a fearful twinge in her voice. That alone was almost enough to make you probe a bit deeper, but Soarin's eyes seemed shadowed as well, making you wonder just what the pair had seen of Smoke Knights, and if you might be very lucky to have won.

“Well, anyway, I made a killing thanks to you, so next time you and your marefriend go out, hit me up for some bits, and I'll give you a loan,” said Dash, dropping the subject.

“Oh really? You bet on me winning?” you ask, remembering that Shining usually kicked your flank in things like this. Heck, yesterday was a fluke, if Rex had really been going all out, he'd have beat you bottom, or if the fight hadn't stopped after one punch during the second round.

“Of course. I got your back, human boy. Besides, I needed a long shot to clear my debt with that Guard jerk,” she told you, getting closer to you for that last part which she said quietly, her eyes flickering over towards one of the ponies in your guard formation. You smirk at that, and decide not to question it farther, as you proceed towards the lab.

The instant your inside, DawnChaser grabs you, his hoof wrapping around your waist, and tossing you into a chair. With a flash of magic, you have dozens of devices floating around your head, some beeping, some wheezing, and a few making clicking sounds like Geiger counters. Not that the Professor explains what's going on, just letting his eyes drift from one to another, as several books float in front of him, quills flying over the pages.

Beyond him, you could see your guards looking a bit nervously, a few probably wondering if they should intervene, before Deasly, Tailfire, and a few of the other Apprentices appeared, and the group was slowly led towards a sitting room just to the side, where several chairs and couches waited. When the Bolts and their fellow guards just flopped down, the others did as well, and soon you could see the groups talking to each other, some pointing at you as they did so, either with expressions of awe, or laughter as some joke was made at your expense.

“Hmm, interesting,” said DawnChaser finally, several minutes after you'd been sitting there.

“What?” you ask, curious, since he rarely spoke while writing things in so many journals at once, it interfered with his concentration.

“You are slightly taller than my last few measurements, and have lost weight. I had assumed that your lifestyle before was active, but it seems not quite active enough. Truly I wonder how your species fares with physical activity,” he comments, poking at your gut, and making you grunt as he underestimated just how powerful his hooves were.

“Yeah, yeah, I was out of shape. Anything else?” you ask, rubbing at the spot where you'd been poked.

“Yes and no. The no is easy enough, as it means no, but the yes...well, your power as a Flux, it should be returning quicker than this. I had thought that your victory earlier might have been due to that, but my sensors are saying your field has grown negligibly even now. It's growing to be sure, but not quick enough to have made the difference,” he tells you.

“Well, maybe I just got lucky?” you suggest, to which DawnChaser nods.

“It is possible. The statistical probability of someone of your weight, height, and strength levels defeating a Smoke Knight are quite low, but still within the realm of possibility,” he admitted, the sensors around you vanishing as fast as they'd appeared, while the purple pony trotted away, continuing to write in several books, before vanishing around a corner.

“You fight good, that reason for your win,” said a new voice, and you turn to find Rex standing behind the chair you'd been in. His paws then quickly move down to your arms and legs, popping off the bands from you with an audible bang and small light burst. He then shoved the magical items into his pockets, as your rose from your seat.

“I think it was more those things,” you tell him, feeling your body's full weight again. It was quite the change, going from lighter than a feather, to someone who nearly toppled forward as he got up, but you'd been getting practice at it for a while now, and so were able to just barely catch yourself.

“No, bands are tools, but bands don't think. You use thought, not strength, to beat smokey pony,” says Rex simply, as he walks away. That vote of confidence, from someone you knew could hold his own in a fight, was enough to get you swelling with pride. Luckily...sort of, you had several ponies who could burst that bubble as you made your way back into the city, and stopped by Rarity and Frazzle's shop to get your final measurements for the suit.

“Hmm, we need to take the waist in by a quarter inch, and give the arms a few more inches of play, what do you think?” asks Frazzle, as you stood almost stock still on a podium. Rarity, who was looking you up and down, nodded, her needles flying out, and piercing your suit. The armor beneath protected you, of course, but it didn't help that you winced a little, getting some gawfaws from the peanut gallery, who all seemed to be enjoying themselves just a bit too much.

You soldier on though, the suit getting a few last tucks, trims, and one or two joints loosened, until you stand in front of the mirror, staring at yourself. You aren't what you normally think of as handsome. Your face is too angular, and you get stubble too easily, coming up in uneven patches, your hair is unkempt, and you slouch even while trying to stand up straight. Still, looking at yourself, you think you can see what Octavia does, a man, standing there in an ebony black suit that shimmers a little in the light.

“Hmm, I should have made a cape for this, but I think it works better without it. Bipeds need more height than width in their clothing,” commented Rarity, who trots around you one last time, staring up and down your body.

“I think he looks handsome, Ms. Rarity,” said a new voice, and you turn to find Octavia, in her dress from the Harmony Ball, standing there. She was radiant as ever, her dress creating a halo of light effect in the afternoon sun coming in through the windows. It made her hard to look at when she turned too far, but at the same time, your eyes were drawn to her, and you found yourself unable to look away.

“I suppose he does,” admits the white unicorn with a sigh, as she walks towards Frazzle. The two fashion ponies then vanished into the back of the store, a low chatter heard as they discussed dresses to wear to the party themselves.

“Hello there, my lovely bit of sheet music,” you tell Octavia as you step off the podium. The mare, smiling at you, nods in your direction.

“Hello to you as well, my handsome human toy,” she responds, standing on her hind legs, and then with a flourish, she kisses you. Not on the lips, just a quick peck on the cheeks, but it does feel quite nice, and you return the gesture, before she gets down on all fours.

“Yuck, mushy stuff,” said Dash from where she and your guards still sat. None of them had fallen asleep this time, either due to last night, or just because there was enough to play card games. Whatever the case, as you and Octavia started for the door, the Honor Guard formed up behind, creating a wedge of horns on the ground, and a trio of wings in the sky as you marched across Canterlot.

The discussion between you and your gray mare turned to tonight's events, with Octavia regaling you with how she and her ensemble had been preparing all morning for this, practicing a few slow dance songs. Vinyl, despite not really enjoying such parties, seemed to have been excited as well, and Octavia made a point of telling you to avoid the punch, just in case.

Soon enough, you and your entourage arrived the home of Fancy Pants. It was, interestingly, not actually the largest such place in Canterlot, despite Fancy supposedly being the richest. In fact, it seemed down right utilitarian in some respects, with the living quarters only taking up a small wing, barely larger than most other homes in Ponyville. Of course, beyond the living quarters, which housed Fancy, Fluer, and a few others, there was a massive ballroom, mostly for parties such as this.

When you entered, the stallion at the door not even asking to see an invite, you found the party already going. Well, sort of. There were groups here and there talking, creating the usual din one might find in such locations. Octavia, after another quick peck, went over to where her friends were already tuning her instruments, and practiced with them, while your guards fanned out, some joining the various groups, while others, Rainbow and Soarin included, went to some chairs and fell asleep almost instantly.

“Ah, my human friend, so nice of you to come,” said a familiar voice, and you turned to find Fancy Pants himself standing behind you, a smile on his face, and several glasses held by his magic floating around him. He quickly passed one to you, which you took and sipped a bit, finding the liquid in the glass to be Sage Blossom juice.

“Not bad,” you compliment, as you sip on it some more, and Fancy nods.

“Quite. It's from a fine vintage that's been going around the city. The last of the blossoms made by a visitor from another world,” he tells you, and you return a warm smile, as Fancy, seeing somepony else he needed to talk to, walked off. Sipping at the glass again, getting the warm feeling inside you that came from the golden flowers, you walked towards the chairs were Soarin was sitting, with Dash leaning on him, and sat down yourself.

Over the next hour ponies, dignitaries, and even a dragon arrived. The last caused only a slight stir, as he was about twice as tall as the teen dragons from Dragon Quest. Otherwise, the gentle music, the soft conversation, and not knowing enough of anypony to join in, caused your eyes to drift closed. You never reached the Void though, as before you could, you felt a gentle hoof on your shoulder, and your eyes popped open to find yourself staring at your host again.

“Heh, not exciting enough for you?” asked Fancy, and you began to stammer out an apology, only for him to let loose a very pure sounding belly laugh.

“No need my friend. I know how some feel about such gatherings. Just look at your guards?” he said, motioning towards Soarin and Rainbow Dash, who had both flopped over in their chairs. Spitfire beside them was seemingly still awake, looking at the party, but if you looked closely, you could see that she was breathing regularly, using that trick of the Guards to sleep with her eyes open.

“I suppose this just isn't our element,” you admit, as Fancy Pants motions for you to rise and follow him, which you do.

“Indeed, some days I tire of this sort of thing as well. Yet, one must keep up the appearance of playing the Game of Houses, lest they lose for never sitting down at all,” he tells you, as he trots over towards the door that led out onto a balcony.

“I understand,” you tell him, remembering a few of your lessons with Celestia about how the Noble Houses of Canterlot worked. To them, power and intrigue was a game, one you played to win, and while she was able to keep it from becoming violent, as it had in the days before Equestria, she still found them a bit underhoofed, and often had to resort to playing a bit herself to keep tem from starting wars or some such non-sense.

“Ah, the things one has to do. Regardless, I have a visitor who said he would like to meet you for a bit of a private chat. I think he wants to offer you some deal for some more weapons or the like, and I told him I'd get you to at least hear him out,” said Fancy, as he opened the door with his magic, and led you outside. Out on the balcony, you stared into the glimmering forests of Equestria's night, tiny dots of light marking cities in the distance, the view rivaling that from Lookout Point.

“I suppose I'll have to tell him no, since I can barely wield the sword most days,” you admit, as Fancy shuts the door behind him, looking around quizzically.

“Odd, I thought I-” he's cut off suddenly, as you feel a swirl of wind about you.

“Cone of Silence!” shouts a voice, the wind whipping at you harshly, Fancy and you turned to the sound of the cry, finding that a dark vortex spreads out from it.

“I say, what's the meaning of this sir!?” demands Fancy, his horn glowing brightly, and he blasts outward with magic. He bolt, really powerful looking actually, hits the darkness, but it does nothing to it, either dissipating once it hits, or flying straight through. You try to test the latter theory, by rushing towards where you know the door was, only to be knocked aside by a wing, the smacks you, hard.

“No, no, I went to too much trouble to let you do that,” says the voice again, this time in lower tones. The voice is now familiar to you, and when you look up, an eagle claw, covered with some golden metallic brace, comes out of the dark, pointed right at Fancy, who prepares to fire again.

“Thunder Claw!” shouts the voice again, and his outstretched claw crackles with electricity. An arc of it shoots out, and strikes Fancy full in the chest, causing him to fly backwards, and then vanish in the darkness. All of this takes less than ten seconds, and by the time your hand finally goes to the blade at your hip, your find yourself grabbed by twin eagle claws, while a massive flap of wings carries you into the sky.

PreviousChapters Next