The Writers' Group 9,331 members · 56,843 stories
Comments ( 18 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 18

Sadly, I've had to make this choice more often than I would have like with stories both in progress and in development. I have a story sitting in my stories list waiting to be submitted, but it probably won't ever see the light of day because of my distaste for most clop and my inability to write it with a bit of conviction and confidence. The others died off die to an inability to keep it going properly.

Have you ever quit on a story of yours? Why?

2115084 I'm currently debating cancelling a story of mine... I just don't know if I'll ever get around to it ever again.

2115084 I quit my first fic, Icarus, about 8 chapters in (I think), because I'm past it. That was when I was a God-awful writer and I was completely uncreative.
(I'm not exactly "good" right now, but I'm better at writing than I was.)

Yeah, usually just because I can't nail the beginnings. Yes, multiple. I have 7 stories posted but about twenty sitting around in my stories section waiting for me to write more than 500 words in them.

Lots of plans, not so good as following through with them. And tehre's this one story that I'm really not sure I'll be able to finish, despite actually having a plan and being something like 30 chapters into the fool thing.

2115084 Nope. Everything is at least vaguely planned out in my mind before I even put pen to paper. If you're stumped with clop I highly recommend trying something else. Though I must ask, if you don't like clop (like me) then why are you writing it?

I've quit stories that were either generic or just... stupid. I've come CLOSE to deleting one of my most popular stories. If you feel like you should delete a story, give it some crucial thought, because tomorrow, you might just have the urge to write again. Then where will you be? Unless you, like, not delete it or something.

I really hate canceling a story, but it seems to happen a lot.

My first two stories ever written were removed from fanfiction.net by me, because they were terrible.

Then I posted an HiE onto FiMfiction.net, and that was cancelled and removed for the same reason. It was terrible and wasn't going anywhere interesting.

Now that I know what it's like to have the cancel something, I'm determined to not quit again. I used to think that I was just a bad writer, but with my fourth story (I Could be Your Rarity), I've learned a lot and have really improved as a writer since my early days. And now I won't make the mistakes I've made before!

I try not to. I have a good idea of where I want to go (sorta) and make up the rest as I go along.

Plus, writing one shots is usually good practice.

I have yet to cancel a story. I write them for good reasons, and I only post them if I think (or thought at the time) that they are up to my standards and are worth sharing. I don't think I'll ever really end up botching a story in a way that I couldn't work on and repair it. Sure it might not turn out quite as I had wanted it to (looks at all my one-shots) but I'd never delete them. I love writing these stories and people seem to like reading 'em

I quit a story once. It was an HiE fic "My Little Pony: Friendship is AWESOME!!". I wrote it back when I was first assimilated into the herd getting into the fandom. I'd written two chapters for it when I realized that the fandom was glutted with HiE fics. I deleted the story, quit the site, and didn't write MLP fanfics for another two years.

2115084 Quitting my story isn't an option. If my readers didn't kill me, the characters swirling around in my head would.

No. On several occasions, I've decided not to post things at all, but I haven't actually quit on a story I DID start posting.

Then again, I only got one long-running story that's completely character driven without overarching plot, and a bunch of one-shots of which I expanded one to full length, and that expanding was all pre-written before I posted any of it.

So really. There's no much to quit on, and if I do quit on something, no one here will even notice it.

And people know I write my character-driven one just because I can't stop writing about the characters. If I ever quit that, it's because I write some sweet sappily-ever-after epilogue on it.

I'm keeping myself from doing that by writing a full half of any story I post before uploading any of it.

I haven't quit my first story, per se, but I did put it on extended hiatus when my second story exploded in popularity and was a concept I much rather appreciated exploring in any case. By putting it on hiatus, I reserve the right to go back to it if I desire to, but I honestly don't think I will.

2115084 It happens. Usually because you lose interest in it or you just get stuck and can't figure out where to go with it. (Or because you realize how much it sucks. I've been there a FEW times...)

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 18