The Writers' Group 9,303 members · 56,548 stories
Comments ( 103 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 103

I’m talking prizes. I’m talking fame. I’m talking nose-rubbing, finger-pointing, hearty laughing, and fan fare playing on your cellphone when someone calls you of all the people who will swoon over you because of your amazing victory. I’m talking glory!

What am I talking about? I’m talking about T.W.G.’s first ever official group contest, and what contest would be complete without cash prizes (provided by yours truly, Cosmic Afro)? It’s a writing contest, as all contests should be in the textual entertainment digital world. What do you have to write? That’s a fantastic question.

Words. A fair amount of them. No more than fifteen thousand words. I’ll write that again in the rules. What are you writing about? Prompts. No, you’re not writing about prompts and making a Twilight-esque essay about prompts and how prompts make magic or something; I shall be giving you four amazing* prompts and you get to write about them! You’ll have until the end of August to submit them. I’ll be accepting until Septermber 1st. Where am I accepting submissions? I’ll tell you in a minute.

You want to hear about the prizes, don’t you? Well, what if I told you right off the bat you can double your winnings with minimal effort? Yeah, minimal effort. The good stuff. The prizes are as follows:

First place wins $100
Second place $50
Third place $25

Because I want this contest to be spread around and this totally isn’t any kind of ploy to get more people to join The Writer’s Group, if the group reaches three thousand members before the end of August at 11:59p.m. Central time, the prize pool is doubled. So:

First place wins $200
Second place $100
Third place $50

The winner, should it be desired, may ask to have an online digital gift card to a store. But it needs to stay digital, I’m not sending a physical gift card. Otherwise, it’s paypal. Or maybe I gift you a whole lotta stuff on Steam. There's many options. I just want to give you money for winning, is that so wrong!?

Here’s all the pretty rules you need to know:

-You must be a member of The Writer’s Group
-You have until September 1st to submit your story to TWGFimfiction@gmail.com
Submit it with the prompt number and your Fimfiction name in the title. Example: 2 Cosmic Afro
Send in either a link to a Google document or an attachment of Microsoft Word or its equivalent. Google docs are preferred.
Please leave your Fimfiction name, title, editor (optional) and prompt on the actual submission.
-Updated: Please do not exceed 15,000 words. A grace limit of one hundred (100) words will be allowed.
-One entry per person. If found that you made multiple Fimfiction accounts for extra submissions OR to boost the prize pool, you and your clones will be banned from T.W.G. and I’ll create a thread labeled “_____ has found the mirror pool. Stay away from _____”. And we will mock you. Excessively. We WILL check. I may consider not doubling the prize pool or removing the prize pool entirely if this does happen.
-If you are found contacting the judges trying to get a little extra favor, your story will be immediately disqualified and you’ll be immediately banned from TWG. I’ll also post a thread labeled “______ is a CHEATER” for all to see and we will mock you. Excessively.
-You’re free to submit your entry on Fimfiction after the contest has ended. Should we find your story on Fimfiction during the time of judging, you will be disqualified. If you are caught, a thread in your honor will be created saying, "____ is an early bird." And we will mock you. Excessively.
-Please no NSFW content or excessive gore. If you have to ask yourself if it’s going too far, it probably is. Teen rating at most.
-Judging will begin on September 1st
-The judges are the Admins and Contributors of TWG.
-Judges will not vote on stories they have written or helped edit.
-Admins and Contributors, except for myself, are free to join in the writing as they had no idea about this until now… which is also why I’m giving them until September to forgive me when I ask them to help.
-Please consider splitting your cash winnings with your editor, should you choose to have one and should you win. I will not be your editor.
-Once you submit your entry, that's it. No, "oh no I spotted an error!" and sending an updated draft. No, "I decided I had a better idea." You should save it for some other day then! When it's here, its up for grabs. Updated drafts and uploads will be ignored.
-If you have any other questions or concerns, please drop me a PM on Fimfiction. I’ll be sure to answer them as best as I can.

Prompts:

Prompt one: You may choose any of the mane 6. She has found a glittering stone that will grant one wish. It’s exactly what she asked for, right?

Prompt two: The Cutie Mark Crusaders tell Zecora how they earned their cutie marks. Zecora returns with a story of her own.

Prompt three: Your neighbors next door were always strange. They only left at night, always wore clothes that covered everything, and green lights tended to softly pulsate from their windows. One day, their front door is open and curiosity takes the better of you. Just who… or what are your neighbors? (Set in either Earth or Equestria, your choice).

Prompt four: It’s their third dinner date between two characters of your choice. One character has a vial of love potion and is internally debating during the evening whether or not to use it. The other has a confession that he/she needs to let the other know.

Get those writing gears working! I want to see class, I want to see excitement, I want to see words! WORDS! Get to it! Why are you still here!? Commenting below? That's cool too!? You should be on a document. Outlining, drafting, writing, supposing, being blocked by writer's block and then triumph over it like a T-Rex in a kiddie park! ROAR at the screen! Make the screen write your story for you and then tell it how bad it was and how much better you can do! THEN WRITE THAT AND SEND IT IN.

You're still reading this!? What's wrong with you!? Get out of here!

Live, Learn, Let go
~Cosmic of T.W.G.

*I can't believe you scrolled down here to read this.

>effort
Yeah, I'm gonna pass.

And here's the old good Cosmic again. Ah. Always enthusiastic and stuff. Nice contest man, but I'll have to pass. I am absolutely sure I can nail that last prompt if I write an OctaScratch, but I want other people to have a goal at it, especially aspiring writers. Because I already have cash, fame and glory. :derpytongue2:

Also, if you need me to judge, I'm for it. I have written stuff, and I know what to look for when judging a fic.

Uh... did you miss the entire "We're hiring Contributors and if you're a current contributor you need to sign this form so we know you're still active" deal that happened almost... what a month ago? You're... not exactly a contributor at the moment.

Minimal effort, you say? sounds like my kind of contest!

Luminary
Group Contributor

But... but... Prompt One would be so perfect for a Rarity. But I'm not an acceptable entrant. Truly the Worst. Possible. Thing. :raritydespair:

Okay, I'm over it. I look forward to judging things. Snobbishly and crushingly critiquing things is practically what I do for a hobby around here anyway. Finally, a way to earn that 'Contributor' thing by contributing! :raritywink:

Admins and Contributors, except for myself, are free to join in the writing as they had no idea about this until now… which is also why I’m giving them until September to forgive me when I ask them to help.

You just can't judge your own story is all or any story you helped edit.

Oh. Seems like I missed it. Oh well. Anyway, as I said, if you still want help with judging those fics, for the sake of the old times, you could contact me. Cheers.

Very sorry about that.

The money says yes, my self respect says no.

Hey, that's all right, man. I initially joined the group only because I was a pal of Ty's, and the group was just created, and he gave me that post. I haven't done anything productive since TWG stopped being what I liked it for, so it's all right. :twilightsmile:

Hm. Sounds interesting. Lemme have a look at these here prompts--

Prompt one: You may choose any of the mane 6. She has found a glittering stone that will grant one wish. It’s exactly what she asked for, right?

Hehehe.

Hahahahahaha.

MWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA--

Well, see you soon. I have a fic to write.

1444337 For prompt one, when you say "It's exactly what she asked for, right?"
Is that implying that it shouldn't? Because I could totally write an awesome story where it is. Starring Pinkie.

If this is a stupid question, feel free to mock me. Excessively, as you would put it.

Luminary
Group Contributor

Ahh, I misread that. Mea Culpa.

Still, regardless, will indeed be nice to contribute. Don't be a stranger at prodding me when the entries pile up. Will we all be attacking each fic, and rating them. Best average rating wins? Each getting a few, with finalists going to a different judge? Some unknown method entirely based on how many entrants we get?

I would say you might want to consider sending an email to EqD. But given their readership and dangerously attached dollar signs, we might get, like, ten thousand freaking entries.

Generally it implies there's a twist or something goes wrong, but it could completely go right if you want it to. And I only mock cheaters, not people who need a little guidance on a prompt. That would be rude.

What have I DONE!?

Oh gods, the amount of members we would get would be enticing.

But holy hell would the amount of writing we'd get be far too massive for any small team to handle. please, do not do this.

1444485 Ah. In that case, grab some tissues... because we're going on a feel trip. Now I have work to do, excuse me.

Yeah, cant believe it either. How come the writers group never had a contest before? I mean, it exists for quite some time, doesn´t it?
And 200$??? Holy.......is that legal? o.o
5000 words isn´t that much though. And I also dunno about the prompts, they don´t really excite me very much. Well, maybe I´ll give this a try, maybe not. Surely could make a good experience and get some constructive critics though.

What does your self respect have to do with it? Getting paid to write is a big reason that people write... I'll be in on it!

1444337 Do we need to create a title for the prompt or just use "Prompt one, prompt two, etc."?

Challenge Accepted! :flutterrage: I-If that's okay with you, :twilightsheepish:

No more than five thousand words

Ah, maximum lenghts. I have a serious problem keeping my stories short, so this is usually what gets me with online writing contests.

Still, my latest story was just short of four thousand, so it should be doable. And Lord knows I could use some free money. So, I guess I'll give it a shot. Heck, I have a pretty good idea already.

Yeah, I think I can win this. :ajsmug:

Yes, please create a title for it AND let us know what prompt you're doing.

1444462 1444554

To win a contest like this, you have to write a story that significantly panders to the audience of the Writer's Group. I cannot do that. So, in order to win, I would have to write something that is completely soulless and lifeless with no other intention than to win the money. That's disrespectful as a writer to myself.

All my future stories cannot be below 5k. So I'd have to write something new. That's why. I'd be putting all my stories on hold that I've put my soul into in order to write a pandering piece of garbage because I'd WANT the money.

Blood is fine I suppose, but nothing too graphic or violent. The Fimfiction rating of teen.

Nah, I wouldn't say significantly panders. Thanks for inadvertently calling the group soulless and lifeless, even though I know what you mean. I chose four prompts that almost all writers could get in to. An open prompt that requires a twist, a flashback/ narrative, a mystery or possibly an HiE or PoE, and shipping/ romance. It wouldn't be difficult at all to fit something to your style of writing. There's nothing to lose and only everything to gain!

But if you don't want to participate, that's fine. Gives someone else the chance and I'm perfectly ok with that.

There's no sign up sheet, just get writing you fool!

~Cosmic

Deadder
Group Contributor

Oh, NOW you tell us indirectly!!

Anyway, I'll help in anyway possible for thee, Cosmic! :pinkiecrazy: I am thee minion!

Be sure to participate too!

Deadder
Group Contributor

As you wish! :pinkiecrazy:

Also, I'll promote this in my stories so people can have an opportunity in this!

This. This made my day.

OK, I'm in. I got an idea for prompt number four but first I have a question. I know you said excessive gore, but is dark permitted? My plan involves minimal gore, if any, but is rather dark. Now, considering that I've been reading Stephen King since I was 13 and have yet to get more than a slight chill ,my definition of dark is much darker than a normal person's. So my question is this: how dark can I get before I seriously damage my chance of winning by scaring off the judges?

That is kind of disrespectful to this group. I did not mean that and my apologies. I'm just not a fan of contests, apparently.

Dark enough that you feel it would break the Teen rating on Fimfiction. If you have to ask yourself if this is too far, it probably is.

From a judge's standpoint, I can't have the contest going on for too long to grade everyone's work. Is 15k words maximum fair enough?

Just one question? How will you send the person who won the money?

Yup, I'll let everyone know. Sounds like a plan.

1445890 1445903
Hm, I'd be concerned about too high of a minimum word cap. The idea rolling in my head would sit nicely around 5k or so, though I have yet to do more than a quick outline. Perhaps this is something best debated, especially since we're already almost a week into the month?

Yep, I see the new thread. Yay!

HAHA! YOU FOOL!

I'm so sorry. Uh. I guess I could try it out if I have a good idea, but I'll be honest, they (my ideas) pretty much all suck.

BTW, is this your own $ you're putting in, Cosmicnaut?

1444337 Money? WELL WHY DIDN'T YOU JUST SAY SO!:pinkiehappy:

Yupperz!

I DID SAY SO!

1446719 :pinkiegasp:
That's mighty generous of you! I kinda want to try winning just so you wouldn't have to pay that!

1446719 But you could have said it so much simpler! Just say: "Write some shit and win cash":rainbowkiss::rainbowkiss::rainbowkiss:

*sigh* These prompts never appeal to me at all. In the slightest. Seriously, I want to participate, but I know that I would never be able to produce anything of quality with a prompt I can't get into. I know you were trying to appeal to most writers, but somehow, I don't fit into ANY of those categories. Maybe next time…

Good luck to all who do participate!

~Lupo

1444337 Can I still publish it on the site? Or does it have to be exclusive to only the contest mods?

1444337 I just love this competition because of this thread opener. I'm being blown away by the happy spirit of writing madness:pinkiehappy::twilightsmile::raritywink: I'm in!

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 103