Generation 5 Group 323 members · 400 stories
Comments ( 33 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 33
Huk

I didn't see such a thread here, which in this particular group is pretty much sin :P Obvious spoilers ahead, so if you didn't see it, avoid the thread!

So with that out of the way... What did you think about the movie :ajsmug:?

I like it - it wasn't perfect, but it was good all-round, with interesting characters, settings, nice humor and good music. Now, it just makes me wonder what the hell happened between G4 and G5...

Bendy
Group Admin

I made this a sticky.

During the 'Fit right in' song. "Oh, watch you shake your unicorn butts." I loled hard on that particular scene. I feel they have been reading Bendyfics. XD

Seriously though. It felt like fan service. Which I don't think is bad. Fan disservice is worse.

Gonna play devil's advocate here and say I didn't like it.

Don't get me wrong, there were some bits that made me laugh and Hitch is still my favourite out of the main characters but it has too many flaws for me to say I enjoyed it.

I haven’t watched it yet but I will soon and then I’ll give my review and thoughts on it on my blog

Bendy
Group Admin

Feel free to link your blog post here.

Huk

Could you be more specific why you didn't like it :unsuresweetie:

I won't call it great, but I don't think it's bad. Higher up then middling, a little less than very good. In a way it almost makes me think of FiM's first episode. Not especially terrific, but it set the characters up and what made the show great really centered around that. Hopefully the rest of G5 follows suite.

Let's see, the plot was predictable (even without Netflix consistently uploading clips of the movie to its YouTube channel), some of the main characters come off as carbon copies of the Mane Six, it's not really subtle about its "racism bad" message, Sunny turns into an alicorn at the end and I find the reason for the magic disappearing to be baloney considering this movie is supposed to be in the same universe as G4 and yet, rather than have all of Equestria be frozen solid by the Windigoes, the prejudice of the pony tribes make the magic disappear.

For anyone interested, I posted a long list of questions, comments, and observations about the film over here.

Can we link reviews? I wrote one and published it just now. It's a lengthy read, but it does go into more detail about what I thought.

Huk

I agree that it has its flaws, but IMHO compared to FiM's 2017 movie, it improved many areas (although the pacing and the ending could both be better). Let's hope the G5 series will follow suit.

I don't think you need to use spoiler tags here - I assume everyone in this thread has seen the movie...

As for what you said... If you expected something totally fresh, I can understand your disappointment. But honestly, making something truly unique is a tricky thing to pull off, especially when you're constraint by the limits of an established franchise. That's also why some characters will be more or less relatable to their G4 counterparts. Although I would argue that aside from Izzy acting 95% like Pinkie and Sunny acting somewhat like Twilight, the rest had personalities not directly related to any G4 characters :trixieshiftright:.

[...] it's not really subtle about its "racism bad" message [...]

Can't say I agree here. It's pretty much the same argument presented in G4 episodes when they talked about the past tribes (one accusing another of being the bad guy/idiot/manipulator/thief and all that causing general distrust). I mean... how much more 'subtle' could they have done it than to show it as stupid and destructive :unsuresweetie:?

[...] rather than have all of Equestria be frozen solid by the Windigoes, the prejudice of the pony tribes make the magic disappear.

Why Wingiegoes didn't show up is a good question, but judging by the cast referring to the ruins of Canterlot as 'ancient Equestria,' it means that most likely a few thousand years had passed since G4. Maybe they were able to defeat Wingiegoes some other way or just used technology to counteract them.

Hopefully, we will learn more when the show comes up.

Whoa, that's a lot of good questions. I think we will find the answer to some of them in the show. Although I'm not sure whether I would want to find out what happened to alicorns and Discord... especially if they decide to just kill them off.

Of course, and... whoa :rainbowderp:! That's a really cool review you got there - was worth a read :twilightsmile:.

Hitch had the whole thing with animals and scenes with bunnies, and would arguably be the Fluttershy. I feel like Pipp and Zipp were probably supposed to be this generations answer to Rarity and Rainbow Dash, and there's obviously no Applejack...

--Sweetie Belle

Huk

I got the same 'vibes' regarding all of them. Aside from some hints, however, their core personalities seem vastly different, I mean:

• Fluttershy was a meek and shy person, while Hitch was shown to be a risk-taker and a leader (at least until Sunny took the lead)
  • While both Dash and Zipp seem to be sporty types, Dash was much more cocky/awesome and talkative, while Zipp seems more down-to-earth kind of pony... (she kind of seem like a mix of Dash and AJ to me :twilightsheepish:)
  • Aside from sharing the desire to look great, Rarity and Pipp seems rather distant (Pipp seems more like the version of Rarity she dreamed of in season one, before meeting Blueblood)

Of course, these are just my feelings, and we won't know for sure until the show starts :unsuresweetie:

So I was taking a look at Sunny's cutie mark. Now, what I see is three stars, two of them regular, and one big shooting star. Now this could have many different meanings, but my hypothesis is, is that Sunny is going to be a traveler across the land of Equestria, spreading the knowledge of friendship among the three pony tribes, and perhaps eventually bringing it to other species. And having become some version of alicorn, I can see this being possible. She provides a voice for all three races, being born an Earth pony, and now having the horn of a unicorn and the wings of a pegasus, there can be no claim that she is trying to favor one race over the other, and even if there is, I feel with hitch by her side, that should be cleared up quickly.

Again, this is just a hypothesis. It could be that because she's an alicorn now, all three races would be naming her a queen of Equestria, even the Pegasi royals themselves and this restricts her from doing certain things. We won't know til the show comes out later this spring.

I will say that I loved how they had some male lead roles in this generation. Makes me ponder if I should make a road trip to California and see if I can audition for a line. Get my voice out there.

I do look forward to when the show releases. I have a feeling that just like the animation quality that was had with Paw Patrol before it's movie, that MLP ANG will have similar quality to the level of the Paw Patrol show or the level of the Dragons Riders of Berk show, though, I would like to be proven wrong and have them stay at the level of the movie quality.

Two other things:
One, I totally would ship Hitch and Zipp, and I'm sure I am not the only one.

Two............ Magic! Wing! Feather! MAYONNAISE!!!!

I actually liked the movie but i think it was mistake them linking it to g4 friendship was magic. During the movie it did bring up a lot of questions like why did the ponies seperate, where did these magical crystals come from, what happen to every creature that lived among the ponies, whers luna, celestia, and discord, and many other questions.

Again i personally had nothing against the movie and the characters in it for i for one enjoyed it. But linking it to g4 in my opinion was a mistake and i think habsro should just made its own universe with the movie just leading to the cartoon.

As a solo venture... It was fun! Not in my top ten, but still something I'd say 'yeah that's a good film.'

The thing is, though, it's not a solo venture. It's a prologue to the series coming out in spring. And as a prologue, it's actually pretty good. It establishes the setting, shows us our characters, and leaves enough to explore.

Partially retracting my earlier comment. I still don't think it crosses into great territory, but I've warmed up to it a lot since my initial watch and now that my thoughts have had time to settle a bit. Fun and good start to G5 and hope it goes more uphill from here.

I loved it. Great introduction to G5.

The Blue EM2
Group Admin

Personally, I'm glad the Windigoes didn't turn up. Jade Dawn puts it best;

if staying in harmony is done to keep ice demons from killing everybody, then it becomes less about doing good for goodness' sake and more of a cheap survival strategy.

As do I. I've watched the movie three times already. I think it will set things up great for the specials and the series we will be getting.

Here is why the windigoes didn't show up. They are magical creatures and with magic gone, they don't exist. I'd think anyone would be able to understand that.

The Blue EM2
Group Admin

I was waiting for somebody to point that out.

Well it was one of the things that first crossed my mind. Yes the tribes were divided but magic was gone. With as much as some people are analyzing the movie to the point where it is an obsession, I'd think that would be the first thing they'd think about.

The Blue EM2
Group Admin

Well, this is the brony fandom. We do love analysing things in ridiculous levels of detail.

I must not be that good of a brony then. I simply watch and enjoy. After all, if you analyze something too much, does that even allow you to enjoy it?

The Blue EM2
Group Admin

Not at all! We all get different things out of the show.

Yep, we're all different. Just as some people love to closely analyze what they watch, i simply sit back and enjoy.

What a coincidence! I watched it about three times too!

I'm hoping I can get their personalities down well enough that I can write GOOD G5 stories....I botched Izzy so bad in those ones that I wrote prior to the movie. I simply went off of that one leak and wrote her as a valley girl....damn I feel bad for botching my favorite pony so badly.

Speaking of which I’d like some feedback and critique on my characterization on Izzy in this story

EIzzy The Teacher
Class is in session…
sunsetshimmer_13 · 1000 words  ·  35  3 · 1.1k views

(If I’m not allowed to promote this then I’ll take it down.)

Whether you're allowed to promote it or not is up to the group owner. I have a primary group that is specifically for promotions if you are looking for a place to promote.

The Blue EM2
Group Admin

And that is fine.

Huh - pretty short given the topic and the group... but then I can't think of much to say about it either. I wonder if I'd have more thoughts if I'd been entirely unspoiled...

Overall, I didn't hate it, but it's not exactly exited me for the series either... and I think having to wait a whole year for said series is a big mistake.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 33