• Published 8th Jul 2013
  • 6,918 Views, 808 Comments

Diary of the Night - CalebH



After Luna returns from imprisonment on the moon Celestia suggests keeping a diary might be therapeutic. What will the princess of the night see fit to write?

  • ...
27
 808
 6,918

PreviousChapters Next
Interlude VII

“Are you sure about this Cadence? I can always send a few pegasus guards with you,” Shining Armor asked his marefriend as he removed his captain’s helmet.

“For the last time, YES, Shiny. I’ll be lucky if she doesn’t catch me trailing her as is and, well, that armor isn’t exactly subtle,” Cadence said as she tapped Shining’s golden plate mail.

“But why do you need to follow her?”

Cadence sighed and rolled her eyes at her coltfriend’s overprotectiveness. “Because she needs my help. Look don’t tell anypony but my aunt said that her and Luna never had any romantic relationships before. She would have no clue what to do on a midnight rendezvous even without being stuck a thousand years in the past.”

“Then why don’t you just talk to her before she leaves?”

Cadence couldn’t keep a devious grin from her face as she answered, “I may want to see her make a fool of herself as payback for snubbing a certain coltfriend of mine.”

“THAT!?” Shining quieted himself after a glare from Cadence. “Cadence that post would have been a step down and I would never have seen you. She did me a favor passing me over,” he continued in a harsh whisper.

“But she wasn’t a bit nice about it and you’re not the only one that gets to be overprotective,” Cadence said in a tone that meant this discussion was over.

“Fine,” Shining said with a defeated sigh, “just be careful okay?”

“I will,” Cadence promised. She gave Shining a quick kiss before she took off to follow the night princess.

Shining watched the pink alicorn until he could no longer see her from the castle battlements.

“Coward,” he berated himself as he pulled an engagement ring from his armor, “You should have just asked her but you always have to hesitate don’t you. You big dumb idiot.” Shining gave a dejected sigh and leaned his head against the cool stone of the battlement. “It’s just moving so fast, it seems like just yesterday she was Twiley’s foalsitter.”

Shining gasped as he remembered a letter sitting on his desk, buried and nearly forgotten under the mountain of paperwork his position came with. He had meant to tell his little sister about everything that had happened but he could never find the right words. Now he was about to propose to her foalsitter and only real friend(except him) growing up and he hadn’t even figured out how to tell her they were dating, or that he had been promoted, or anything from the last two years of his life. Determined he pushed himself off the wall and made his way to his office. It may take all his off time this week but he would finish that letter to his sister.

***

Luna had flown high and steady only a few miles of her journey. Cadence had used the opportunity to think about Shining. His nervous behavior, that little telltale box he thought she didn’t see in his armor. She already knew her answer, she nearly squealed it again and again every time he looked like he was reaching for it, but she would wait for him to ask.

Cadence was panicking. Once out of sight from Canterlot Luna shot off with a burst of speed Cadence had never seen. Now Cadence was stuck over the blurry line between the Whitetail Woods and the Everfree Forest trying to spot a midnight blue alicorn in a midnight sky.

Something hit her wing from below. It broke off easily leaving a patch of numbness behind but as she broke off one five more struck her leaving patches of unresponsive muscle. She couldn’t flap; she couldn’t stay in the air.

“HELP!” she cried out before crashing through the forest canopy.

The soft earth of the forest floor could only do so much to cushion her fall. In the corner of her fading vision she saw a flash of green fire the she saw…herself? No that wasn’t possible.

“Ah Princess Cadenza,” her doppelganger spoke in a voice that buzzed and hummed like a hive of angry bees, “Don’t you worry I have a feeling your life will become just perfect.”

Author's Note:

This was actually written months ago. One of the first things that popped into my head once I got this version of Luna established was to see how she would react to the changelings.

As you can probably guess Chrysalis doesn't let that letter make it off his desk except on it's way to the trash can.

PreviousChapters Next