• Published 8th Jul 2013
  • 6,910 Views, 808 Comments

Diary of the Night - CalebH



After Luna returns from imprisonment on the moon Celestia suggests keeping a diary might be therapeutic. What will the princess of the night see fit to write?

  • ...
27
 808
 6,910

PreviousChapters Next
Reunion - Chapter 35

Tonight is the night. After a thousand years the moon and stars were shepherded across the night by their true mistress. I agreed to put off my return for another week once Celestia explained to me what the ‘nightmare night’ celebration really was. Though I am eager to let ponies know that their princess of the night is no monster, returning to my ancient duty on such a holiday would only warrant more fear. But now this night is mine.

Do the ponies notice? Celestia’s nights were passable. Better than that oaf Discord’s, thankfully short, nights.
Celestia arranged a ceremony for my raising of the stars. She disappeared a half hour before it was to begin and the guard was doubled, then doubled again. At first I thought they were afraid that raising the stars surrounded by my night guard would reawaken my madness.

As the moon crests the horizon musicians play a fanfare and the modest gathering of nobles before me gives a polite hoof stomp. Then night ponies begin parading into the courtyard. There are hundreds; far outnumbering my modest few guards. Whether from fear of the night ponies or disgust at their rough dress the nobles shrink back into a tight circle in the courtyard.

When the last of the night ponies enter the courtyard my guard step forward and call out, “Vivas Nactus.”

“Vivas Nactusss,” the crowd answers. Rather than loudly roar they hiss their response through their fangs.
It is an old salute that fell out of use during my madness. It simply means ‘long live the night’. Even after I have been gone a thousand years, and even after how I used them these ponies still hail me. Truly I am unworthy of their loyalty.

I fly down to the courtyard and prostrate myself. It is not a bow or kneeling, I spread my wings across the ground and lay my horn along the earth. It is a gesture of repentance inviting those who will not forgive me to damage my horn or step on my wings should they withhold their forgiveness. As I lay before these ponies I confess every mistreatment of their ancestors I can remember.

The head of each family comes before me and declares me forgiven. I rise from the dirt weeping yet I have never been happier. I declare a feast to be held, the likes of which Canterlot has never seen, I call for wine, mead, ale, and cider to be brought up from the cellar.

My celebrations have always been much more raucous than sister’s and they only ever end two ways. Either I am forced to replace much of the grand halls furniture or Celestia becomes very drunk very quickly and makes a fool of herself.
Whatever may come this will surely be the best night since my return.
-L

Author's Note:

this chapter takes some ideas from Luna's Story by Aegis Shield. If you haven't read it i recommend it, it's a good read.

PreviousChapters Next