• Published 8th Jul 2013
  • 6,916 Views, 808 Comments

Diary of the Night - CalebH



After Luna returns from imprisonment on the moon Celestia suggests keeping a diary might be therapeutic. What will the princess of the night see fit to write?

  • ...
27
 808
 6,916

PreviousChapters Next
Reunion - Chapter 87

Mortals are odd things. We I have lived years beyond count yet in their fleeting lifetimes they can find wisdom that must be shown to one such as me. It is a humbling request to ask a child to teach you, even more so to ask a child to teach you to lose.

These games are like nothing I have known. There is no consequence to them yet they inspire passion and competition in those that play them. In my madness I lost many battles. In hindsight I am thankful that I did, that the suns still rises to shed light and life on Equestria, yet my losses meant death to those who were most loyal to me. Even as I am thankful for my loss I resent my defeat for the sake of those who died.

To lose at these games is refreshing in a way. We I do not always sit comfortably at the center of attention. For centuries my every failure has had consequences that reach across Equestria yet in these games I can lose and it does not matter.

These games do not recognize thrones or authority; to them I am merely a player. There is no pretense and no expectation, it is not required that I be excellent and set an example, it is not even required that I am victorious. It is a comfort to know that failure can go without consequence.
-L

Author's Note:

***sorta spoilers for episode 1&2***
So apparently the cannon timeline is at 1 year in now...yeah....and I thought it didn't make any sense before. hopefully the writers building a season long adventure arc and establishing a timeline means they're going to stick with it a bit more instead of skipping around the seasons for the sake of episode plots. So that's this fic's first official break from cannon, the timeline just isn't right.

***actual episode 1&2 spoilers***
So right now i'm thinking the flashback where we see Luna transform into Nightmare Moon is after some time of civil war otherwise shoutout to Tyrantlestia for banishing her sister for a thousand years after two minutes of rebellion.

Celestia and Luna getting the elements didn't quite go how I wrote it but for a total shot in the dark I thought I was pretty close granted I had nothing on the whole tree of harmony thing but here are some of the things I got right:

Celestia and Luna don't have the elements before Discord and it's his reign of chaos that makes them need to go get them.
Celestia and Luna are wearing their crowns in every flashback suggesting that discord's reign is an interruption to theirs.
I can't really pick out the other five but Celestia did have magic so i got that one right.

Overall i think my speculation was pretty close to what's been established in the premier.

sorry for the weird hovertext stuff I tried to format it as two big blocks of text but these the [ spoilers ] thing is silly and will only do one line of text at a time.

PreviousChapters Next