• Published 8th Jul 2013
  • 6,917 Views, 808 Comments

Diary of the Night - CalebH



After Luna returns from imprisonment on the moon Celestia suggests keeping a diary might be therapeutic. What will the princess of the night see fit to write?

  • ...
27
 808
 6,917

PreviousChapters Next
Reunion - Interlude II

Dry Wheat looked out over the field. Yesterday the old princess had burned every stalk of wheat and scorched the earth so badly that it may never grow a crop.

Discord had told him not to worry so he didn’t. He had spent the whole day not doing anything and especially not worrying. It had been nice doing nothing. He always worked so hard but he didn’t have to anymore, Discord said so.

He used to be an important pony, he made sure the village had bread to eat, and he always worked hard. His cutie mark even showed that. It was a plow being drug through the earth, a mark only fit for a hardworking pony.

He had liked doing nothing though, a lot. Part of his mind still argued against the laziness that had overtaken him. Get up, it said. Ponies depend on you, it said.

It was drowned out by a voice not his own, you’ve always worked so hard, surely you have earned some rest. The village can find its own food; you don’t need to do anything.

“I don’t need to do anything,” he droned as his coat faded from brown to grey.

He slowly repeated the mantra, lacking the will to do anything more. A flash of blue caught his attention outside the window. It took him a full thirty seconds to turn his head and focus on the night princess standing in his once bountiful field.

She looked down at the scorched field with disdain, as if it were some crude attempt at magic by a rival rather than a display of power that rendered acres of land unusable.

“this is why I handle the fighting Tia, you don’t know how to do anything but collateral damage,” she muttered.

He shouldn’t have been able to hear her. It didn’t make sense. Discord said things didn’t need to make sense anymore. Discord was always right. He liked Discord.

Down the path came the villagers, they had pots, pans, buckets and anything else that might make some sort of impromptu armor. They carried brooms and ladles and a sundry of other items that had no place in the fight to come. Odder yet than the adults were the foals riding their parents back, they were beating out a marching cadence in perfect rhythm on their parents impromptu helmets.

Part of Dry Wheat wanted to go find his bucket and a mixing spoon and join them, part of him wanted to get the ponies off his field so he could start healing the scorched soil, most of him wanted to do nothing. He liked doing nothing. Discord let him do nothing. He liked Discord.

“Welcome, welcome Princess Luna to the new Equestria,” Discord said from the front of the marching ponies. Had he been there before?

Dry Wheat blinked lethargically as the answer to his unspoken question came automatically. Discord was always there. He liked Discord.

“Who are you, what is the meaning of this?” Luna demanded.

“This is my new Equestria, and I of course am Discord-“

KRAK—KRAK KA-KRAK

As Discord spoke his name four lightning bolts struck him on the head. His fur stood on end and his skeleton showed through as his body spasmed uncontrollably. After just a moment too long he fell to the ground dead.

It was a shame. He liked Discord.

Luna did not take her eyes off of the mismatched body as she looked for any sign of life.

“And the Oscar goes to…John De Lancie!”

Luna turned towards the voice only to come face to face with the being she had just killed.

Discord said some things that didn’t make sense. Its ok things don’t have to make sense. He liked Discord.

Luna only lost a second to surprise before she threw Discord into the field. Nopony could pick out a single bolt from the fury that followed. As the column of lightning faded and thunder echoed in the valley Discord tapped Luna on the shoulder.

“I’ll let you run away now,” Discord said.

Luna scowled at Discord and at everything around her before she reluctantly took to the skies and flew away.
Finally the villagers could be alone with Discord. They liked Discord.

Author's Note:

I'm not sure that these are technically interludes but i'll keep titling these chapters that break diary format interludes until I figure out the real name for them.

PreviousChapters Next