• Published 8th Feb 2012
  • 5,541 Views, 268 Comments

Blue Skies - WinterTwister



Blue Skies, third and last story of the skies trilogy

  • ...
13
 268
 5,541

Chapter 6

The lights were dim upstairs as Soarin' was searching through his and Twilight's room with nothing but a candle in the corner of the room. He was trying to be as stealthy as possible as he searched around for her saddlebag. He poked his head under the bed and started to strain his eyes, desperate to find his objective.

"Come on... where is it..." He emerged from under the bed and sighed, "I can't let Spike see that letter... or anypony else... Dear Celestia the look on Starfall's face when she read that letter..." He shuddered as he remembered the laughter he heard after she read that accursed letter from the manager back at the Hayton Hotel.

Soarin' tip hoofed over to Twilight's personnel library that she kept upstairs for her favorite books. "Maybe she put it in one of her books?" He thought to himself out loud. He put out a hoof on a book that looked like it had been pulled out slightly.

"Soarin'?" Twilight opened the door, the light from the outside lit the room up better. She saw Soarin' reaching out to something, but it was still to dim to tell, "Honey, what are you doing?"

Soarin' had frozen; he didn't think he would be caught. "I-I... I was uh..." His eyes moved frantically around, looking for something to tell her that wasn't the truth, "I was... organizing your books." He told her quickly, nailed it... he didn't ever want to lie to her, but this was a matter of great importance. If Spike were to read that he would show Big Macintosh, and then they would both tell Hayseed and then all of his friends would be mocking him for years.

“Well, I just wanted to tell you I’m going out of the house today to... do some field studies.” She told him, wanting it to be a surprise.

“Field studies?” Soarin’ turned to her direction from across the room.

“Y-yeah, field studies... I’ll only be gone until noon, do you need anything while I’m out?” Twilight asked as she was about to turn and go back downstairs to leave their home.

“No, I’m good, you have a nice day Twilight.” He smiled as he told her. She turned and started to trot downstairs.

As she went he noticed she had her saddlebag with her and a few curse words shot through his mind as he saw it leave the house and out of his reach.

“Ugh, sure, back when I was in the air force I could steal necklaces off a griffins neck, but I can’t take a piece of paper from a unicorn...”

Soarin’ just sighed and shrugged it off for now. He trotted down the stairs and looked around the near-empty library. ‘What do I have to even do today other than unpacking things from storage?’ He scanned the bare shelves and thought about Twilight’s job, she was still a student of Celestia and she was the librarian. Ponyville paid her to just make sure books got returned and weren’t misused. He just got paid for letting companies use his name on their products, but he never got to do anything. Sure the money was good, but he realized he had no hobbies. Twilight has the library... Spike has the farm to work on with Applejack... I need a hobby. He slowly walked to the front door as he thought of jobs he could look for in Ponyville, he thought of the time Spike told him about how he almost went crazy over finding a quill for Twilight when he was younger. What was that store name? I remember Spike telling me they only sell two things...

Soarin’ opened the door and trotted off into Ponyville in search of a hobby to kill his time with.


Twilight stood in front of Sugar Cube Corner, she took a deep breath and mentally prepared herself for the task at hand. The subject was one she dreaded with all of her existence, the difficulty was too much for her to bear and was never brought up to full attention for her to practice, until now. Today she was going to learn how to bake properly from Pinkie Pie.

She trotted up the steps, luckily Sugar Cube Corner was being slow today and it looked like Pinkie would have some time to help her out.

Twilight briskly trotted up to the counter, hoping Pinkie would be there but she was out of sight.

“Psst…Twiii-light...” a voice whispered out to her.

“Huh, Pinkie Pie?” Twilight looked in all directions to see where it came from.

“Up here...” The voice whispered again.

Twilight froze up and slowly moved her head to look above her, and Pinkie was attached to the ceiling, “P-pinkie..?”

“Twilight... follow me...” Pinkie whispered as she started crawling on the ceiling towards the kitchen. She disappeared into the kitchen, entering from the ceiling.

“...What.” Twilight watched as her friend crawled off, defying the laws of physics. She shook her head and quickly galloped into the kitchen, where she saw Pinkie back on the ground and waiting for her.

“What can I help you with Twilight?”

“...Pinkie were you just on the ceiling?” Twilight asked as she trotted up to her.

“No, don’t be silly Twilight!” The pink mare giggled.

Twilight opened her mouth to protest and tell her she clearly saw her on the ceiling, but decided to just go on with the reason why she was here. “Well, I was wondering if you could teach me how to bake a pie, I always order a pie for Soarin’ but I really want to make it for him myself...”

“Say no more!” Pinkie exclaimed happily, disappeared behind a table for a moment but came back up, wearing an apron and hoofing one over to Twilight.

Twilight took the apron and quickly put it on, but she had to loosen it to fit around her waist than she usually had to. The memories of all of her failures at cooking, and even attempting to do so flooded her memory, This is going to be a long day...


Soarin’ looked up at the sign that had the stores insignia on it, a couch with a quill over it with bold words above and below it, the top saying ‘quills’ the bottom said ‘Sofas’. He trotted inside where it was seemingly empty, all besides one stallion who was lounging in a recliner near the service desk.

Soarin’ trotted up to the stallion, “Hello?”

The stallion’s eyes were closed, but as he heard the voice his eyes shot open and he quickly got out of the recliner and was already shaking Soarin’s hoof. “Hello sir, I’m Davenport, owner of Davenport’s Quills and Sofas! We have some fantastic deals to offer you today sir.” Davenport pushed Soarin’ back to the front desk where his premium quills were kept, “Sir I think you’re the type of stallion that really could use a quill, well if you act now I’ll include a quill set on your first purchase! How’s that for customer service?”

“No thanks I-”

“But wait there’s more! I’ll even offer you the deal of a century, if you walk out of here with a sofa today, not only will I include the quills, but I’ll also give you a free one year warranty!” The stallion said enthusiastically with an odd pitched voice. The stallion also had a strange smell of cleaner detergent on him.

Soarin’ looked past the stallion for a moment and saw some white tubs at the back of the store on a shelf, he squinted and read the words ‘Minotaur clean’. He turned his attention back to Davenport, “W-well, that all sounds really nice, but I just came to see if you had an open spot for a job?”

“Oh... so no sofa?” Davenport calmed down and looked at the pegasus.

“No sorry not today... so about that job...” Soarin’ asked shyly, it’s been years since he’s even tried to apply for a job.

“Alright, you’re hired.” Davenport said plainly.

“Really? I don’t even have to apply or anything?” Soarin’ couldn’t believe it.

“I’ve seen you help ponies around town, you’re a hard worker, and besides what could draw in more business than an ex-Wonderbolt working for me?” The stallion thought out loud giddily, the potential of new customers made him start to imagine himself on a pile of money. The thought of bathing in bits made him almost drool in delight.

“So when do I start?” Soarin’ asked happily.

“This weekend, is that fine with you? And today I can run you through the routine here.” Davenport told him as he trotted over to the recliner he was napping in and set it upright.

“Sounds good.”

Soarin’ and the stallion trotted to the back of the store to begin his training.


Two hours later Soarin’ was leaving the store with Davenport talking to him in the doorway.

“Thanks for the job Dave; I’ll be early for work Saturday.” Soarin’ said as he turned to trot off back home.

“See ya’ tomorrow Soar, oh and I’ll have the boys bring your new sofa over later too.” He called after Soarin'.

“Thanks!” Soarin’ called behind him as he trotted off. He took a few more steps but then slowly reached a stop at the sudden realization, “...Damn he’s good.”


Soarin' sighed as he trotted up to the library, he couldn't believe he had bought a sofa from Davenport as he was being instructed. It wasn't all bad; he was starting to think about buying new furniture now that the library was larger now anyway. He saw Spike outside, waiting for him.

"Yo Spike." He smiled as he trotted up to the drake whose eyes were shadowed by the hat.

"Hey Soar, Twilight asked me to help take everything out of storage today." Spike said as he tipped his hat up out of his eyes.

"The hat looks great on you Spike," He complimented.

"Not looking to bad yourself, now that you can't... you know... you are getting a bit built there." Spike told him cautiously, not wanting to make him feel bad.

Soarin' held his smile, "it’s fine Spike, and thanks." He trotted up to the door to open it and the two entered the nearly empty library.

"I'm glad Twilight won't let us touch the books... she's always alphabetizing them, it would be a pain to put all those books back in the main lobby." Spike sighed in relief.

"Yeah..." Soarin' gulped at the thought of having to fill the shelves with mountain of books.

The two began to head towards the cellar to take everything out of storage, thanks to Spike's strength they were able to quickly get everything out that wasn't a box full of books.

"Alright, let's get started." Soarin' said in determination, he wanted everything unpacked before Twilight got home from her studies and that she can rest easy.


Twilight was trotting up to the library, she was at Sugar Cube Corner for a good four hours that morning, but she emerged victorious from the flaming battlefield that was a kitchen with her prize levitating in the air. A pie in a basket covered with a tablecloth to keep it warm. She trotted into the empty library, trotting past the main lobby and going to the part that was used as a home for her and Soarin'.

She entered their home-part of the library and as she entered she saw Spike effortlessly lift a couch and place it in a neat spot against the wall. Everything was already unpacked and neatly placed. She trotted up to Spike, "Incredible Spike... Living on Sweet Apple Acres is really treating you well isn't it?" She smiled at her step-brother.

Spike stood up straighter and put out an arm to flex, "You know it!" He said in his usual content self.

"Is Soarin' home?" She asked, wanting to be with her fiancé again after their time apart this morning.

Spike pointed in the next room with his thumb where some more of the library was added-on, it was their kitchen.

Twilight trotted into the kitchen and saw Soarin' organizing some silverware in a drawer. She snuck up behind him and nuzzled him affectionately.

He felt her soft fur and instantly knew it was Twilight and he nuzzled back. The two stood there, locked together in happiness, basking in their love for each other.

Spike walked in a propped himself against the doorway, just watching one of his best friends and his sister in such bliss, 'I wonder if Aj and I look like that...'

After a few moments Twilight levitated the basket on the counter and the cloth levitated off, "I brought you some pie Soarin', I made it myself!" She said proudly.

Soarin's eyes shot open and his tongue had managed to hang out of his mouth in delight, everyone knew he loved pie.

"Spike would you like some?" Twilight offered Spike who she saw propped up in the doorway.

As soon as he was called out he tensed up, he was more than familiar with her cooking. His eyes started to quickly look around, "Uh..." and then he thought of a way around, "Oh I uh... I have to get back to the farm, Applejack is already cooking, and she would hate it if I ate somewhere else!" Spike smiled awkwardly, "So I better leave... now..." He started to back away, "Bye!" He then turned to jog out, rattling the floors a bit as he did.

Soarin had already cut himself a piece just as Twilight turned to watch him, shining eyes as she wanted to see the reaction to someone eating the first thing she cooked that wasn't on fire or already in ashes.

He bit into it, expecting the sweet succulent taste of delicious apple pie, but instead his eyes quickly went bloodshot as it touched his tongue. The taste was similar to ashes mixed with sugar and slimy eels. He swallowed the bite of the 'pie' and fought a shiver as it scraped down the sides of his throat, closing his eyes to help subdue the pain. After he swallowed he mustered up all of his will to show a weak smile and opened his eyes to see his fiancée smiling happily. He saw her expression and then a burst of courage ran through him, 'I don't want her to feel bad... I-I’ll do this... for Twilight!" He put on his brave-face and took another bite to swallow it quickly, not wanting to taste much more of the putrid pie, "I-I love it Twilight, thank you." He said after the second bite.

Twilight clapped her hooves in delight, "I'm starting to take cooking lessons with Pinkie Pie, and today I only started two fires!" She said proudly, enjoying her accomplishment.


Ximenez trotted into the kitchen and saw Pinkie on her back in the middle of the floor; he rushed to her side, afraid for his wife "Darling! Are you alright!" He held up her head in his lap as he sat down next to her.

She slowly opened her eyes and opened her mouth to speak, but no words would escape past her lips.

"Wh-what happened?!" He demanded, now noticing that the kitchen was a mess coupled with the fact that his wife was still weak from a strange force.

"I-it w-was Twilight... she... she's learning to cook." She said weakly.

Ximenez expression changed from worried to hopelessness as he took his hat off of his head and placed it over his heart as he stared off into the distance. "...Dear Celestia."


Soarin' had finished the rest of his piece of pie; he had braved it to save her feelings. He smiled at her, and then went to go put away his plate, but then Twilight spoke up.

"Want another piece?" She asked happily, levitating the pie close to him.

"N-no thank you... I'll... uh... save some for later."

"Oh okay, I need to go start organizing books for the library." Twilight put the cloth back over the pie and placed it on the counter. She trotted up to Soarin' to give him a quick peck on his cheek before trotting off to the storage room.

Soarin' sighed, "I better get back to unpacking some stuff upstairs."


Both Twilight and Soarin were feeling triumphant as they were cuddled up together on their new couch; they looked around at their new family room happily. They managed to get everything unpacked from storage and placed in their home, and Twilight had the library set up and ready to open tomorrow so the citizens of Ponyville would have access to the knowledge of its archives once again.

Soarin squeezed her ever so slightly in the cuddle and kissed her on the cheek. He then asked, "What do you think of our home?"

Twilight only nuzzled a response, almost purring to show her happiness and gratefulness to him.

Soarin' looked at her eyes and he could easily see from her over-relaxed expression that she was exhausted from the task of readying the library. He's noticed that her energy has been decreasing over the months of her pregnancy.

He looked outside and saw that the sun was no longer present, Celestia had lowered it long ago and now Luna's moon was anchored in the night sky.

"Are you tired?" He asked, loosening his hooves from her a bit.

She only nodded lightly, "I'm ready to go to bed..." She opened her eyes to look up at him, "Are you?"

Soarin' nodded and released his grip of her completely and then stood up on all fours, stretching out a little to pop his joints. He then put out a hoof to help her up as well as she was yawning.

He could only grin whenever he saw her yawn, she looked so adorable.

She took his hoof and they started to head to the stairs to go up to their bedroom.


It was in the middle of the night when Twilight woke up and started lightly nudging Soarin'.

"S-Soarin'...Wake up..." She whispered to him closely as she sat up.

"Huh?" He had a line of drool coming from his mouth and his mane was a mess from rubbing against the pillow and slowly sat up himself.

Twilight took his hoof and slowly put it over her bulging stomach.

"Uh..." He looked up at Twilight through the darkness, she was smiling and her face seemed a little wet on the side, "A-are you crying?" From his hoof he could tell that her stomach felt a little warmer than usual.

He could hear a sniffle come from the darkness, "Y-yes..."

He quickly grew alarmed, "What's wrong?" he asked sharply.

"The baby... it... it kicked..." She told him, tears still fresh from her eyes.

It was then that Soarin' felt a little tap on his hoof from her stomach.

Soarin' looked down and squinted through the darkness, his heart rising from the little tap. He started to smile as the joy started to fill his heart. His smile widened to give a purple rhyming cat a run for his money.

Twilight used her other hoof to wipe her eyes, "It won't be long now..."