• Published 8th Feb 2012
  • 5,519 Views, 268 Comments

Blue Skies - WinterTwister



Blue Skies, third and last story of the skies trilogy

  • ...
13
 268
 5,519

Chapter 4 Part 2 : Dad?

Orion was taken aback by the grossly stallion in front of him, "Soarin's father?"

The stallion nodded, "Yes, I'm his father Clip, and I want to talk to Soarin'." He said with an almost grim expression on his face, memories of his son coming back to him now that the gin was wearing off.

When he heard the stallions name, his mouth dropped, "Clip!? The director of 'From Stalliongrad, With Love'!?" He burst out, not keeping control of the volume of his voice. "I'm a huge fan of your Con Mane movies!" He put out a hoof in hopes of his favorite director shaking it.

Clip almost missed his hoof, and shook it weakly, "Now... May I come in?"

Orion opened the door wide open, and Clip half stumbled into the house. The door closed and the two stallions on their way to the living room.

Twilight was giggling as Soarin' was kissing at her neck, with her mother blushing and giggling along with her daughter.

Orion and Clip walked into the living room to see the happy couple playing with each other and Starlight keeping a respectable distance from them.

Clip looked at his son, he had changed so much, but he could still see his little colt. He took a step towards Soarin' while he was playing with his fiancee and spoke to get his attention, "Soarin'."

Soarin' stopped playing with Twilight as he heard his voice, the source sounding familiar, but he couldn't believe it until he saw for himself. He saw the stallion, dark yellow coat, with that same short black haircut with the horn prodding from beneath it. He froze in place as he looked at the stallion he knew as his father.

Twilight looked at the stallion and she froze as well, feeling Soarin' shake in anger, she could guess who he was.

Clip took a few more steps forward, "Soarin', I want to talk to you...Please." He tried to keep his voice straight, but sincere as he approached his son.

Soarin' immediately snapped at the sound of his fathers voice, he quickly stood up and was on Clip, towering over him as his father scrunched away from him, "Talk!? Now you want to talk!? You push me away, and ignore me for all these years, and NOW you want to talk!?"

"S-Soarin' please, just hear me out-" His father tried to stammer out, but was cut off by Soarin's booming voice.

Orion hastily made his way to his wife, ready to shield her if a fight started.

"No! Get away from me, and my fiancee!" Soarin' shoved Clip away, sending him stumbling backwards, but keeping on his hooves.

Twilight gasped and put her hooves over her mouth, she had never seen Soarin' so angry so quickly. She looked over at the stallion that was his father, and saw a look of despair on his face.

After being shoved away, he felt his heart drop that his son wouldn't even listen to him. He lowered his head, now completely sober, he began to remember...


(14 years ago)

Clip walked up the stairs, his throat sore from holding back the sobbing, his eyes red and exhausted. Each step weighed down on him, his wife, found dead earlier today had devastated him. He reached the top of the stairs and pushed himself towards his sons room. He then pressed his ear against the door, silence, Soarin' had finally fallen asleep. The door cracked open, seeing his young colt asleep on a soggy pillow.

His mother... she was so beautiful. She taught Soarin' things he could never teach him, life without her is to hard to imagine...

Clip choked out the words silently, his eyes building in tears again, "He...he looks just like his m-mother..." He bit on his lip and closed his eyes shut, quickly retreating from the room and shutting it silently. He collapsed on the floor right outside of his sons room, burying his face in his hooves, "Thunder Cloud... I love you so much..."

(12 years ago)

Clip was supposed to be writing the script for his new movie while taking a break from directing his current movie, 'The Galloping Stallion' but instead he just sat in his seat and looked down at the blank paper. He felt hollow inside, even after 2 years of his wife passing away, he couldn't get over it. He looked at the bottom drawer of his desk, where he kept his gin that he drank only a little of on occasion.

He looked at the standing portrait of his son on his desk, realizing he hasn't been there for his son ever since it happened. Clip picked up the picture and looked at it, "I promise Soarin'... tonight, I'm taking you to the fair in town..." He dropped the picture back in its place and tried to focus on writing, but couldn't think of anything to write. Memories of his wife's face began to depress him, wishing they would just go away, his eyes drifted back to his bottom drawer and found his hoof inching towards it.

Minutes later, one of the studio's guards entered the room to find Clip crying over Soarin's picture with an empty flask on the ground.

Clip's mind was blank, his vision blurred. He held the photo of Soarin' and saw his wife smiling at him, "Thunder Cloud... You look so beautiful today... A-are you doing anything tonight?" He was in firm beleif that he was a teenager again, and asking out the mare of his dreams to a date.

The guard felt nervous as he saw the stallion talk to a photo, "S-sir? Your son is at the door outside the studio, should I let him in?"

Clip looked up from the picture, his face flushed from the alcohol, "Son? I don't have a son! Now bring this fine mare your finest wine!" He commanded at the guard.

The guard told Soarin' that Clip said he didn't have a son, and the guard saw Soarin' run off crying.

Clip woke up several hours later, the alcohol made him forget the promise he made to himself to take Soarin' to the fair. He looked up at the clock at it was almost morning, he dropped his head back on his desk to sleep.

(4 years ago)

Soarin' becoming a Wonderbolt had become hot news, and as it reached Clips ears, he became over joyed and saw a chance to meet with his son again. He wasted no time, he would ask his son to be in a movie and give them a chance to bond together again, he called Spitfire and asked to speak to Soarin'.

When Soarin' picked up the phone, it was four years since he last heard his voice.

"Hello? You wanted to talk to me sir?" A more refined voice rang in Clip's ears, and he was almost at a loss for words, but spoke in hope.

"Y-yes Soarin'... it's your father. I called because I heard you became a Wonderbolt, and I thought this would be a great opportunity for us to mee- I mean... you to become famous."

"Dad."

"Yes son?" He asked hopefully.

A voice of anger came back, and Clip didn't catch it, he was too excited to try and meet his son again. "You don't talk to me for all these years, and now that I'm a Wonderbolt you want to make a movie about me?"

"Yes! It would be fun, imagine how the fillies would be all over you!" The words came out wrong, and as soon as he said them, regret washed over him as he realized he said the wrong thing.

The receiver was slammed, and Clip's heart sank, "S-son..."

Ever since that day, Clip knew that his son would never speak to him... he had done too much damage, and even though he was still a revered director with all the money he could ask for... he was truly alone.


He stood before his son, his wife and her parents. He stood before them, a lonely stallion, with a broken heart of his own forsaken course of action. He looked up, the flooded memories giving him a powerful headache. He looked up at the face of anger that was his son, and he understood why.

Clip tried to stand up straighter, but he was in no condition to try and show he had respect for himself, "Soarin..." he spoke sincerely, almost choking on his son's name, a single tear rolling down his cheek. His thoughts on Thunder Cloud dissipating enough so he could speak to his son as normally as he could. His wifes death was still heavy to bear after all of these years, but all he wanted was his son back.

Soarin's scowl dropped, only his eyes showed hatred, his expression became clueless as he waited for his father to speak more slander towards the gravity of the situation, what possible reason could Clip have to ignore his son for so long?

Clip thought for a moment, it was time to tell Soarin' the reason he had forsaken him. "I'm not a strong stallion... and I'm not the father I should have been," Clip looked like he was about to break down, "I loved your mother so much... I didn't want to see anything that reminded me of her, and by the time I realized I was losing you, I was to late. I fucked up Soarin'...I'm asking for the forgiveness that I don't deserve... and I hope you're the father I wasn't..." He finished speaking, telling his son he looked too much like his mother to bear.

He felt his hatred of his dad slowly die, the words touched him, regardless of the hate he had shown just seconds ago. He began to see his fathers sorrow in his eyes, it was all because he thought that Soarin' looked like his mother he had forsaken him.


He saw that his son remained silent, and then he realized he was more than late for forgiveness, "Soarin'... no matter what you think of me now, or the future, I know you will never forgive me. But I want you to know one thing before I go...I love you son." Clip turned to the door, forcing each step in front of him, unwilling to leave, but he knew he was far to late.

The moment he heard the final words, Soarin's heart rang in sorrow and forgivness. He had toughed the air force, become famous entertainer, and now with his soon-to-be wife, he used to think he had everything he could want. But now Soarin' wanted one final thing, he wanted his father. He stood frozen at first from his fathers words, but seeing him walk away ignited emotion inside of him, and forced him to move.

"Dad!" He yelled abruptly, to make the stallion stop walking and Soarin' kicked off the floor and his wings expanded out to glide to his father as quickly as he could, a trail of tears already streaming down his face.

Clip turned around and ran to his son as he flew to him, and they collided in a hug. He hugged his son tightly, unable to control his emotions, and kissed the top of his sons head, "Thank you..."

They stood there for minutes, healing the bond between them, the wounds would very much still be there, but at least they were closed for the time being. As Soarin' held the hug with his father, he couldn't help but still feel small amounts of dislike towards him. The years before just couldn't be forgotten right away, but at least they were starting to disolve. He was finally with his father for the first time in fifteen years.


Clip joined in meeting the family, he met Twilight and her parents. He showed heavy gratitude to Twilight, he knew that she was the right mare for his son. He thought of her as highly intelligent and very caring... and he couldn't wait to meet his grandfoal.

Hours later, Starlight and Orion left to go back to the Inn and turn in for tonight, Twilight was tired as well and said goodnight to her father-in-law with a hug and went up the stairs into the bedroom.

When Clip was sure Twilight was out of earshot, he spoke to Soarin', "Son?"

He faced his father, "Yeah dad?"

"Why does Twilight not have a ring?" He asked quizzically as he saw earlier that she wasn't wearing one.

He became instantly embarrassed,"I did have one for her... but I lost it... I was so careful too..."

Clip smiled, "Well this is good news for me... because, I have this." He reached into his pocket and pulled out a golden ring with a purple diamond in the center. "This was your mothers... You should give it to Twilight, it has a dragonstone." He gave the ring to his son, "Dragonstone isn't available to the public anymore... it's become almost priceless over the years that I've had it, but it would mean more to me if you gave it to your fiancee." He smiled gratefully at his son, he would willingly give him anything if it meant keeping a strong connection between them again.

Soarin' took the ring and looked at it, and it felt so fragile. It was his mothers, and giving it to Twilight would mean alot not only to Clip, but for himself. He quickly pulled in his father and hugged him. "Thanks dad... Your the best."

Clip stayed for only awhile longer, he promised Soarin' he would be here tomorrow instead of going back to Canterlot, he wanted to spend time with his son. He left after another quick hug and a goodnight. Clip could finally sleep soundly tonight, with quality time with his son to look forward to tomorrow.

When Clip was gone, Soarin' looked over at the small table next to the couch.

Twilight had added their memoirs to the scrapbook, and he went over to the table and opened it. He first flipped through the beginning, the first page with his old hospital band and other memoirs from when Twilight and he first met, to now. He then began to flip through the empty pages, "I can't wait to see whats going to fill these pages..." He said out loud as he thought of their foal... only seven months away.