• Published 6th Apr 2013
  • 9,108 Views, 320 Comments

Twily's Back - Rough_Draft



Twilight's age spell test goes terribly wrong. Thank Celestia she has Fluttershy and Pinkie Pie to look after her!

  • ...
12
 320
 9,108

Friends Forever

Seventeen – Friends Forever

Spike raced to the door when he heard the rapid-fire knocking. When he pulled it open, he fell back at the sight of so many ponies crowding through the doorway.

“Weren’t expecting us, huh?” said Rainbow Dash. She jumped ahead of the others, her scarf trailing behind her like a superhero’s cape. “So where’s the Filly Princess at?”

“Mind your tongue, missy!” Applejack trotted in with concern written all over her face. “I hear she’s back to normal and no mistake. Thank goodness fer that alicorn magic.”

Spike waved them in, pausing when he took notice of Rarity. She seemed even more beautiful against the backdrop of snow-covered Canterlot. Her mane had been styled into a fine coiffure of violet with blue highlights. She’d further adorned herself with a simple yet stylish red jacket and beret, accented with an emerald scarf of the finest silk…

“Why, Spike, whatever’s the matter?” Rarity tapped his chin with her hoof. “You look as if you’re starving! Hasn’t Twilight been feeding you?”

“Huh?” The dragon shook his head, freeing himself from his reverie. He then realized, much to his embarrassment, that his tongue had been hanging out his mouth. “Oh. Oh, gosh, I’m sorry. I-I don’t know what came over me…”

Rarity smiled and rubbed his cheek. “It must have been the sight of my ensemble. I had it made in a exact shade of ruby! My hungwy widdle Spikey-wikey!”

Sighing, Spike let himself be pestered as he waited for the three new arrivals to settle in. Pinkie Pie soon came tumbling out with a trio of pies, though Applejack was quick to point out that somepony had taken a bite out of each one already.

“Well, of course!” Pinkie Pie answered cheerfully. “After I took a bite out of the first one, I didn’t want the other two to feel left out!”

Rainbow Dash warily eyed the pie in front of her. “I think I’ll wait until lunchtime.”

“Shucks, I ain’t waitin’!” Applejack dove right into the pie, eating with gusto. “Mmph! These apples are nice an’ fresh, too!”

Rarity gasped. “Really, such manners! We should at least wait until Twilight and Fluttershy get back from…” She turned to Spike with a questioning look. “From wherever they’ve gone.”

“Oh, they’re in the next room. They needed some time alone. To talk, I guess.”

But even as he said it, Spike’s cheeks were burning. He knew exactly what was going on. It was obvious to anypony with ears and a brain what those two were getting up to in the other room. Far too many squeals and giggling for just “talking.”

“Knowing Twilight, she could talk Fluttershy to death,” Rainbow Dash quipped. She hopped off the couch and trotted to the bedroom door. “I’ll just peek in and see for myself.”

“Oh, do give them some privacy!” Rarity insisted. “Poor Twilight must be exhausted from her royal duties.”

Rainbow Dash opened her mouth for a retort, but a sudden pair of high-pitched giggles from inside the bedroom cut her off. Everypony—including Spike—turned and stared at the door.

“Okay, that does it.” The blue pegasus reared up and kicked the door open.

Ahh, close the door!” Twilight cried out. Spike joined the others in a mad rush to get a glimpse.

The bedroom lights were on a low setting, casting the whole bed in soft shadows. Twilight was sitting upright under the covers, her wings spread out defensively and a hoof covering her face. Fluttershy was curled up against her, shuddering under the unexpected scrutiny of her friends.

Spike crept forward, wringing his hands. “Um, sorry to interrupt, but… look who’s here!”

Twilight’s face had turned a powerful shade of crimson when she looked up at her shocked friends. Although Pinkie Pie was the first to speak the tension, oddly enough.

“What?!” She stamped her hooves on the floor in protest. “You guys had a slumber party and you didn’t invite me?!”

Rarity cleared her throat. “Darling, I don’t know what to say. Are you and Fluttershy… that is, have you, er….?”

Twilight looked down at her bedfellow and sighed. “Yes, Rarity. For your information, we are, in fact, an item.”

For a long moment, nopony said a word. Spike looked back and forth between the two groups. The two ponies in the bed were holding onto each other anxiously, while the rest of the gang from Ponyville were shuffling their hooves and twitching their tails. It seemed as though the spacious bedroom had become a lot smaller and oppressive.

“Heh!” Applejack pushed her hat back and smiled. “Well, I’ll be darned. An’ here I thought you two weren’t the kind fer romance!”

“A-are you mad at us?” Fluttershy asked, still huddling against Twilight for security.

Rainbow Dash laughed. “Mad? I’m just glad you of all ponies actually found someone, Fluttershy!” She winked at Twilight. “And one heck of a catch, too!”

“Cut it out!” Twilight replied. With a telekinetic blast, she sent a pillow flying at Rainbow Dash’s head.

Rarity’s horn glowed as she removed the beret from her head and pressed it against her chest. “Personally, darlings, I could never judge anypony for how they live their lives—provided they have some sense of style!” Her face suddenly lit up. “Oh, my! Just think! Your colors go perfectly together! You’ll easily be the most gorgeous couple at the Grand Galloping Gala…!”

As everypony began to chatter away with the same words of encouragement and conviction, Spike decided to step out. He snuck out of the bedroom without being noticed, grateful for some time to himself.

Somewhere in the kitchen, there was a gem-encrusted cake with his name on it…


An hour later, Rainbow Dash hovered in the middle of the living room with her forelegs crossed. “So, do you get it now, Pinkie?”

“I think so!” Pinkie Pie gave another goofy grin, but quickly glared and pointed her hoof at Twilight and Fluttershy. “But if you guys are gonna have a slumber party without me, you’ve got another thing coming!”

“Right. Slumber party…” Twilight was fighting the urge to tell her that she and Fluttershy weren’t doing much sleeping. The thought made her giggle like a school-age filly.

She was grateful to be done with this age spell business. Well, almost done, anyway. There was still that whole coronation…

“Twilight?” Fluttershy nudged her gently. “What’s wrong?”

“I was just thinking. I don’t know if I wanna do another big coronation tomorrow.” Twilight looked around the room at her friends, taking a little time to focus on each familiar face. “I mean, I felt like I haven’t done much as a princess before. I’d rather do something else. Something big.”

“Like what?” asked Rarity. Her eyes lit up. “Like a royal ball? Ooh, please say it’s a ball!”

“No, not like that.” Twilight sighed and put her face in her hooves. “Ugh, this is hard to explain! Right now, all I’ve got is a title, a crown, and a library in Ponyville. And it’s all great, but I’d like to do more. I want to give Ponyville something new. Something wonderful.”

Applejack smiled. “I hear ya, sugar cube. I feel the same every time I gotta organize another Apple family reunion.”

“Well, since you’re becoming an awesome flier,” Rainbow Dash chimed in, “how about you sponsor the construction of an aerial racetrack?” She flashed a grin at everypony in the room. “Sounds awesome, am I right?”

Rarity tossed her mane and scoffed. “Hardly! Why waste all that on a racetrack? Ponyville deserves better! Like an art gallery!”

“Nah, racetrack!”

“Art gallery!”

“Or a full stadium, Twilight!”

“No, an authentic pâtisserie!”

“Enough!” Twilight hung her head, wracking her brain for solutions. Nothing seemed to come. All she could think about was how she was just a librarian pretending to be a princess. An alicorn who got herself into trouble with age spells and screwed up important dinners with griffin royalty.

She turned to Fluttershy. “What do you think?”

“I’m sorry. I wish I could be more helpful.” Fluttershy leaned against her, quelling some of the butterflies in Twilight’s stomach. “But I’ll support you in whatever you decide!”

“Thanks.” Twilight smiled and pulled her close. “I know I can always rely on you—”

She froze. In her mind’s eye, she saw herself looking out at Ponyville’s changing skyline. With Fluttershy faithfully by her side, and all the ponies in town looking up in awe at the sight of something big and new. Twilight put herself in the middle of that vision, trying to see what it was they were seeing.

What no princess had ever done before.

“I’ve got it!” Twilight exclaimed. A huge smile spread across her face as she leapt to her hooves and turned to the kitchen. “Spike, come quick! I need you to take a letter!”

“M’here!” the dragon called out. He came running out, still chewing on a mouthful of gem cake. When he noticed everypony staring, he stopped and swallowed. “Right. A letter to the Princess?”

Twilight grinned. “Yes. I want to tell her that I’d like to suggest an alternative to my coronation.”

“But Twilight!” Rarity gasped. “What about the age spell? Don’t you have to go through the event to make sure you’re fully healed?”

“The coronation’s just a formality. What matters is my development into marehood.” Twilight shared a warm smile with Fluttershy. “And I’ve got a feeling I know just how to get there.”

Author's Note:

This is the penultimate chapter to the story. The last chapter will be up by Tuesday, bringing our quirky little tale to a close. And if you can guess what Twilight's brilliant idea for Ponyville is, I'll give you a Web Cookie! (It's like a real cookie, only imaginary!)