• Published 6th Apr 2013
  • 9,107 Views, 320 Comments

Twily's Back - Rough_Draft



Twilight's age spell test goes terribly wrong. Thank Celestia she has Fluttershy and Pinkie Pie to look after her!

  • ...
12
 320
 9,107

Back At Home With Mom And Dad

Six – Back At Home With Mom And Dad

The cold breeze provided a clear night sky over Canterlot. Every constellation was visible to the naked eye, surmounted only by the crescent moon in their midst. As she descended from the parapets of the royal palace, Princess Luna allowed herself a tiny proud smile. The weather ponies had a fine job of setting up for the longer nights.

Winter was coming. And once it arrived, Celestia would have less time in the day to manage her Sun. Luna would have her hooves full with watching over the Long Night, providing comfort to all the ponies gathered in their homes and all the animals in hibernation.

But not tonight.

Tonight, she had another duty.

As she landed outside a small brown house in the Canterlot suburbs, Luna composed herself. Then she raised a hoof and knocked on the front door.

When it opened, a dark blue pony stuck his head out. He gasped when he saw Luna and bowed. “Y-Your Highness!”

“Good evening, Nightlight.” Luna pressed her hoof to her heart. “I trust you and your wife are well.”

When Nightlight lifted his head, he was still awestruck, but managed to find some courage in his voice. “We’re fine, thank you. Please, come in. It’s late, but I’m sure Velvet can cook something for you—”

The Princess of the Night stopped him with a shake of her head. “I’m afraid I must decline your offer. I come with news about your daughter.”

“Twilight?” Nightlight’s face turned pale. “Oh, no. What is it now? Please tell me she’s all right!”

“She is… fine.” This was the part of the conversation that Luna had been dreading. “I can explain on our way to the palace. If you and your wife have no objection?”

“Welcome, Your Highness,” said a delicate voice. Luna and Nightlight turned around to see a gray mare with a faded violet-and-white mane come out from the kitchen. She moved slowly, but there was a gentle confidence in her step. So very much like Celestia.

“Dear,” said Nightlight, “something’s happened to Twilight. We have to go to the palace!”

Twilight Velvet nodded and put a hoof on his shoulder. Then she turned and smiled at Luna. “Is she here? In Canterlot?”

“Her train arrived just moments ago,” Luna replied. She smiled back and stepped aside, just in time for her pegasi-drawn chariot to land on the front lawn. “Will you come?”

The two ponies looked at each other, then back at the Princess. A quiet confidence was written on their faces.

“We wouldn’t miss it for the world,” said Twilight Velvet.


“Bouncy beds are the best!” Pinkie Pie exclaimed. She proved her point by jumping up and down on the massive four-poster bed in the middle of the apartment. “You’re right, Twilight! Research parties are fun!”

Twilight turned away from Spike, who was writing up her latest checklist. “This isn’t research, this is gathering materials! It’s a completely different step!” She looked back at the dragon and nodded. “Okay, that should do it for now.”

As he rolled up the parchment and tied it with a ribbon, Spike opened the apartment door. He smiled at the white pegasus standing out in the porch, wearing a blue robe. The scholar took the scroll in her mouth, nodded goodbye, and flew off into the night.

“With any luck,” Twilight was saying, “we should be ready to start early tomorrow…” Her voice trailed off into a long yawn. “Wow. Guess that trip took a lot out of me.”

“We should all go to bed,” Fluttershy suggested. “Little fillies need their rest—” She squeaked when Twilight glared in her direction. “A-and so do Princesses.”

Spike was more than ready to drop off into a beautiful slumber. However, there was a quick knock at the door. When he went to answer it, his jaw dropped.

“Uh oh,” he muttered. Then he caught himself and added, “Um, welcome, Your Highness!”

Princess Luna stepped into the apartment, drawing everypony’s attention. She waved her hoof when they began to prostrate themselves.

“Please, my friends, this is not an official visit. I’m here as a favor to Princess Twilight. I’ve brought somepony who might be able to help you with your situation.”

“Really?” Twilight bounced up and down, almost as excitable as Pinkie Pie. “Who is it?”

The Princess stepped aside. Spike’s jaw dropped again as two very familiar ponies nervously entered the apartment. He saw Twilight freeze in mid-jump, her eager smile turning into a horrified stare.

“Hello, dear,” said Twilight Velvet. She was holding a handkerchief in one of her hooves. “H-how are you feeling?”

“Mom? Dad?” Twilight suddenly sounded very small and lost. Just like a filly, Spike thought uncomfortably. “What are you doing here?”

Nightlight stepped forward and regarded his daughter with an anxious smile. “Can’t we be concerned for our little filly’s well-being? The Princess said giving you our support might be helpful.”

“Well, with an age spell, you just never know!” Time Turner exclaimed as he came in from the living room. “Hello, everypony! Your Highness, always a pleasure!” When he saw Nightlight, his smile widened. “Ah, just the pony I wanted to see!”

“Me?” said Nightlight.

Time Turner nodded and draped a hoof over his shoulder. “Indeed. You’re still Celestia’s official stargazer, aren’t you? Good. There’s a matter about the royal astrolabe that the chaps in the Royal Society wanted to clear up and I knew I could count on you for help. Never mind about Miss Twilight. She’s in the best of hooves…”

As he prattled on, the timekeeper led Nightlight into the living room. Princess Luna offered an encouraging smile to Twilight Velvet and then proceeded to join them, leaving her alone with Twilight, Spike, and their friends.

“Um, if it’s alright with you,” Fluttershy said, “I was going to help Twilight get ready for bed.” She reached down and patted Twilight’s head, much to the filly’s consternation.

Velvet smiled. “Well, if you don’t mind, I’d like to help.”

“Mom, I don’t think you have to—”

“Oh, by all means.” Fluttershy looked down at Twilight, fixing her with a very powerful stare. Spike nearly burst out laughing when he saw Twilight shiver and quickly nod in agreement.

He watched the two mares lead Twilight over to the other side of the room, where she’d be changed and dressed for bed just like a filly. Spike felt bad for her, but he had to be strong for her, too.

He’d get started on that right away—just after he joined Pinkie Pie in jumping on the bed.

Author's Note:

A thousand apologies for not posting sooner, but I was constantly distracted while trying to write this chapter.

I'm trying to map out the rest of this story, especially as Twilight will be trying very, very hard not to slip all the way back into foalhood and recover her status as both an adult and a princess. All that remains is to decide what role everypony else will play in that struggle. As always, your patience and support in reading this story means a lot to me.