• Published 4th Apr 2013
  • 29,778 Views, 2,809 Comments

Metroid Equis - Flammenwerfer



A meteor impacts the nation of Equestria, Planet Equis. Tranquility is quickly snuffed out when a poison begins to spread violently. The Princesses cannot combat this unknown threat, as no knowledge of it exists. Help comes from an unexpected source.

  • ...
57
 2,809
 29,778

PreviousChapters Next
20.5. If You Want Something Done Right...

Metroid Equis

Chapter 20.5

If You Want Something Done Right...

Several hours later, the instruments at work on Ridley's form retreated into their places, allowing the Pirate Commander to stretch himself out and ensure that his body had been fully repaired. That would normally put him in a somewhat better mood but Ridley had gotten word that a Galactic Federation Fleet had made it to Equis much faster than had been predicted. He made a mental note to personally execute the group of analysts who provided him with the previous time estimates.

Of course nothing may proceed the way it's intended.

Ridley got on all fours and stretched his wingspan out, craning his neck and ensuring his plating had a comfortable fit. The Dragon twisted his neck back and fourth until several audible pops could be heard, him sighing in some relief with the somewhat better range of motion this action offered. He snaked his way to a large monitor, letting his large hands work the electronics fine-tuned to his stature.

"Greetings, Lord Ridley," his flagship's AI spoke in a somewhat soothing monotone.

"Feed me all information and key events that have passed while I have been incapacitated. Do not squander details," Ridley ordered. After a couple of seconds of silence, the computer responded:

"Yes, Lord Ridley. Firstly, as of almost eight hours prior, our forward base operating in the Everfree region has been completely annihilated. All contact with personnel has been lost, presumed casualties."

"Samus?" Ridley inquired.

"Negative. After your encounter with the Hunter, her presence was not seen in the outpost thereafter."

"Then how did we lose an entire base?!" Ridley ordered for answers, his temper already needing to be stayed.

"We were able to receive video-footage from maintenance drones and cameras linked directly with Mothership Vengeful Subjugation. Observe," the AI responded. On command, a large pop-up window on the giant monitor revealed several camera-angles from numerous areas of the outpost. Ridley was greeted with footage of black-clad unicorn troops wreaking absolute havoc upon his forces. There were at least ten of the enemy combatants in the outpost at a given time but even the Pirate Commandos had enormous trouble. In the end, he witnessed only three ponies fall as opposed to easily over two hundred casualties for the Space Pirates. This infuriated him even more.

"What can you tell me about these... soldiers..." Ridley asked, tracing his long mandible with a claw as he studied the footage.

"Apparently what was witnessed here, aside from the original and first large Equine intruder, was not an anomaly. Shortly after this incident, over a dozen reports within tens of minutes of each other came flooding into our BattleNet. The general armed forces of the Equine race is largely pitifully trained and equipped for ranged combat and thus have been reported as little match for even the lowly Trooper. However, reports of highly specialized Strike Teams consisting solely of unicorns were received from over ten outposts in the Frozen North, Whitetail, Everfree, Saraneighvo, Manehattan, and Trottingham regions of operation. We have lost complete contact with at least six of these outposts."

"Go on..."

"These Teams, each member clad in nothing but flexible and composite black armor made from unknown material, are highly skilled in the magical arts. They appear to be trained for nothing but war and possess enhanced alacrity, magic potential, and strength highly uncommon with other unicorns. They rival our own doctrine in pure mercilessness. The gap in sheer battle-readiness between these teams and the common military of the Equines is quite astounding. By my logic, it appears these forces were raised in secret."

"Do they have a central leadership?" Ridley asked, gently pacing away from the computer.

"Uncertain. Gatherings of these unicorns have not exceeded fifteen-count and due to subtle differences in exterior, it is difficult to determine commanding officers, if there is even a ranking system. They are highly coordinated and very precise and lethal in their execution, which suggests a high probability of a Central Power or Figurehead directing their actions. Whether this is the Equine Leader or linked to the first intruder remains uncertain. I apologize, but information beyond this is mere speculation," the AI explained. Ridley gave a low growl of thought, his orange-hued eyes narrowing.

"Where do we stand?"

"The arrival of the Federation Fleet has certainly complicated matters, but so far the Orbital Space is merely contested. Our ships and fighters are engaging to the best of their ability but no progress forward nor reverse has been reported through the BattleNet. Federation Troops have landed on the ground and deployment is increasing. Major battles are predicted in the coming days. As per Phazon exploration, Science Teams working in the Frozen North have discovered large deposits of the substance seeping out of the ground as if being produced locally. This leads me to believe the impact site would not be far off."

"Any notable landmarks?"

"Yes, Lord Ridley. There is a rather large civilization, colloquially known as the "Crystal Empire" that has been able to shield itself with some degree of success against the spread of the substance into its borders. As well, they sit on top of a large deposit which rests underground. I recommend this particular area to start an expedition and eventual dig to excavate and procure the Phazon."

"Very well. Where do our forces stand in the area?" Ridley asked, not skipping any details.

"We have approximately twelve-thousand infantry and hundreds of pieces of armor stationed collectively within four major outposts and citadels in the Frozen North, sir," the AI answered. "Shall I order the deployment of more?"

"Hmmm..." Samus's nemesis thought to himself. "Deploy three-thousand more units and include as many Commando and Grenadier variety as able without impeding of combat capability. I as well will depart personally to the area."

"It shall be done, Lord Ridley. When do you wish to depart?"

"Immediately."

"Very well. You're cleared to leave the ship. I recommend using our current controlled airspace under our ships to penetrate the atmosphere. I'll highlight a route on your internal positioning system to avoid contact with Federation Fighters."

"Excellent. Before I leave, any word on Samus?"

Silence reigned as the computer processed Ridley's request.

"I apologize, but the Hunter's whereabouts after your confrontation with her are unknown."

"No matter. This battle will continue to be fought in the north. It is almost inevitable I'll run into her within the coming days," Ridley reasoned, hunching down and ready to take flight out of his ship. He also mentally prepared himself for another confrontation with Samus, one that he was somewhat eager to fast forward to.

"Very well, Lord Ridley. Be advised, pane is opening to the vacuum of space. You're cleared for departure to the planet and the Northern outposts are expecting your arrival," the AI had the final words. With that notice, Ridley was off as soon as the pane to his lair was opened. He angled himself downward and made a speedy descent into the atmosphere before turning north, using the cloud coverage to obscure his presence as best as he could.

Author's Note:

Chapter 21 inbound soon. Ridley needed more of a part though, since I classified him as a major character. So, here's a light read to tide you over. Exams have just ended for the time being and I'm getting back into the swing of things.

Let me know what you think! Cheers! :)

PreviousChapters Next