• Published 4th Apr 2013
  • 29,722 Views, 2,809 Comments

Metroid Equis - Flammenwerfer



A meteor impacts the nation of Equestria, Planet Equis. Tranquility is quickly snuffed out when a poison begins to spread violently. The Princesses cannot combat this unknown threat, as no knowledge of it exists. Help comes from an unexpected source.

  • ...
57
 2,809
 29,722

PreviousChapters Next
8.5. Foreboding

Metroid Equis

Chapter 8.5

Foreboding

The cold silence of space... only punctuates the feeling of singularity and void. Trillions of stars, billions of galaxies, yet still so much empty space... empty. Silent. Yet this silence and emptiness was purged when an enormous slip-space rupture revealed an gargantuan ship, followed by eight more large ruptures in space-time, which were in turn followed by dozens of minuscule ruptures. The modest fleet of warships slowed their speed to cruising, ensuring strict formation of capital ships and patrolling fighters.

The small spacecraft were garden-variety and comprised of the standard makeup of fighters, fighter-bombers, interceptors, and bombers, all running their normal patrols around their host ships. Their bluish hued, almost tadpole-esque hulls of the fighters cruised lazily in their premeditated patterns along with their slightly more attractive looking counter-classes. The larger ships were of Frigate classes, or at least six of them were. Of those six, four were Conqueror-class Frigates and the remaining two were both research and battle Frigates. The two remaining other ships were transport vessels. Unlike their much smaller fighters, these ships took on a more elegant look with more angled hulls... they looked ready to decimate anything in their paths. Their formation evenly surrounded the first ship, although there was a gap on the larger ship's side where another Frigate was undoubtedly supposed to be positioned. If one was to stumble across the fleet's registry, one would find the missing Frigate to be under the name of Orpheon. However, it's brethren, the Siriacus and the Vol Paragom were present on opposite sides of the central capital ship.

The largest of the capital ships, undoubtedly the flagship, was a Mothership-class cruiser. It had a definitive red hue to it... and it was unmistakable to certain individuals who would lay eyes on it. The fall of Zebes was not kind to the original bastion of Space Pirate might, as the Hunter took their base of operations and everything else with it in her escape. This ship, however, was freshly launched just days before the fall of Tallon IV. It arrived too late to relieve the Pirate force on the ground, or more importantly, retrieve the valuable experiments and other Phazon related data. However, when the newly commissioned fleet finally arrived at Tallon IV, not all appeared to be lost.

Pirate commanders did not expect to find the intact remains (although the word 'intact' would be used very loosely) of the Commander of Space Pirate Security Forces. With the help of several ships, their advanced technology, and a bit of specifically targeted cloning and printing, the second resurrection was complete. The fruits of that project sat in his lair within the Mothership, gawking at space as it passed by. However, even his enormous size couldn't even begin to put a dent in the space of this particular Mothership cruiser, as it was built nearly one and a half times as large. Nevertheless, he sat with his legs folded and weight on his haunches... his enormous organic and metallic wingspan pressed lazily against his back.

Ridley was alive. Pride and body marred by enormous lacerations (the latter of which was replaced by more augmentations of metal and composite material), yet very much alive. His bright orange eyes scanned space, as if expecting to see the intended destination.

Soon, however, a door rather far away to the rear had its shield deactivated and it opened, revealing a Pirate Admiral, dressed in full Pirate Naval attire. He stopped to give a salute and bow. Ridley barely acknowledged him until he spoke:

"Lord Ridley, please pardon my intrusion..." the Admiral spoke with slightly (but unusually) higher pitch than normal Pirates. He was obviously younger. Ridley barely even craned his long neck and head towards him. He responded with his iconic screeches, squawks, and grunts... but of course translators had been created for a reason.

"What is it, Admiral?"

"Our scouting parties have reported back from the suspected planets of the strike. All were negative, save for one."

Ridley remained silent. The Admiral took this as a cue to continue.

"One of our scout teams on a planet designated as VK109H by Federation directories. Decryptions reveal it's colloquial name as Equis. They landed in a lush forest but were subsequently wiped out."

"Why do you waste my time with these sickening reports of our scouts being destroyed?! I have little patience for their bumbling around and getting disposed of by the fauna like the weaklings they are!" Ridley roared. The Admiral kept his composure on the outside.

On the outside...

"That's just it, My Lord. The last transmission that we received, seconds before all communications went dark, was 'The Hunter is here!'"

Ridley said nothing for tens of seconds, but to the Admiral, it felt like hours. He could also make out a low growl of indignation from the Shipmaster himself. Meta-Ridley then let loose one giant roar of determination.

"Set course for Equis. If the Hunter is there, the Phazon meteor will certainly be there as well," he ordered.

"My Lord, please forgive me but does that necessarily mean that the meteor has--"

"A former shipmaster once made the mistake of questioning my judgement and orders, Admiral. What I am certain of is that you certainly will not make the same mistake," Ridley interjected and added the last word with a venom.

"Indeed not, Lord Ridley. Course will be set for Equis. All fighters and bombers are ready to launch in minutes notice and ground troops are ready to deploy planet-side when we arrive. Calculating the projected time before-hand revealed approximately five-day's travel unto our destination."

"Very well. See to it. Dismissed."

The Admiral didn't reply, but merely bowed and saluted once more before he strode off, the door closing and sealing behind him with a green glow.

The Metallic Dragon himself turned back towards the empty void of space, looking straight ahead as the ships all kept formation and changed course, entering slipspace once more with many things on his mind.

A score to settle was one of them.

Author's Note:

A little glimpse of the proverbial 'shit about to hit the fan.'

Hope this will tide you over JUST a tad ;)

Thanks guys!

~Flammen

PreviousChapters Next