• Published 4th Apr 2013
  • 29,720 Views, 2,809 Comments

Metroid Equis - Flammenwerfer



A meteor impacts the nation of Equestria, Planet Equis. Tranquility is quickly snuffed out when a poison begins to spread violently. The Princesses cannot combat this unknown threat, as no knowledge of it exists. Help comes from an unexpected source.

  • ...
57
 2,809
 29,720

PreviousChapters Next
34.1 Hero's Welcome

Metroid Equis

Chapter 34.1

Hero’s Welcome


[Canterlot |~28 Hours after Crater Collapse]


It was over. The crisis, the Phazon threat, it was all categorically and officially over. Princess Celestia and Luna both lifted the states of emergencies, as did surrounding nations, while the Federation Fleet took a much more friendly, protective position in the upper atmosphere. Celebration erupted immediately, with the largest being in Canterlot as ponies celebrated and danced in the streets. Pegasi put on little air shows as well as to convey the first welcome to Equestrian and Federation troops marching back from the North. The sun shined brightly and there was nary a cloud in the sky for this special day.

Canterlot's position on the side of a mountain allowed for a perfect place for Federation transport ships to pick up Armor and materiel that was no longer needed, so tanks slowly rolled through the main streets, careful of partiers, but they were quite well received with cheers and thunderous applause. Marines even hoisted up mares from the street to ride with them on the tanks as a show of camaraderie and plain-old fun. Magickakorps Troopers intermingled with Marines to reinforce this bond between human and equine.

The eight troops that brought up the rear of this particular convoy, however, had a slightly different destination. CV-Squad, sans helmets, armor polished and shining brilliantly in the afternoon sun, stood tall and confident as they waved in all directions in response to deafening cheers which were especially for them. All had smiles that could rival the brightness of the sun, and there was not a frown to be seen throughout Canterlot, for that matter. They were the rumored 'joint task force' that had become famous over the course of the conflict, and for their success in both combat and relations, they were to be honored personally by the Princesses at an award ceremony being held on this day.

The rest of the convoy made a right turn at the end of the street but the eight soldiers continued straight through the gates to the Castle, being saluted by Royal Guards as they entered in perfect step. Crossing the moat, they were let into the Castle through the massive double-doors, leading to the main hall in which the throne room was just beyond the next set of doors. A Royal Administrator trotted up to the new arrivals with a pep in her step, much like everypony else in Canterlot.

"Right on time!” she exclaimed. “I’m Lumina! Feel free to relax here for a little while, as you’ll be called in a couple of minutes. Give me just a few moments and I’ll explain everything you have to do for your part in the ceremony,” she said quickly before trotting off yet again. All eight troops watched her go, barely having time to absorb her words.

“Well… she’s certainly spry,” Nathan spoke softly with humor evident in his tone. The others gave sensible giggles but Jacob had the next few words:

“Guys… we did it.” All shared jovial looks amongst each other and took long, deep breaths of fresh air. They could finally rest easy. For the four humans, another mission was successfully completed with their bodies intact. For the unicorns, it was an overwhelmingly victorious defense of Equestria. Bonds were formed, and losses were suffered, but the new squad and friends ultimately came out on top.

“So… what happens after this?” Starry voiced, realizing that there was no conflict in Equestria anymore. What would happen to their squad?

“I honestly don’t know,” Sydney replied. “I hope they don’t split us up…”

“They better not!” Radiance interjected, angered at even the prospect of losing some new friends.

“Yeah, I’ve grown fond our little setup,” Arianna commented, genuinely happy that there was someone else to talk to (and get annoyed by) other than Nate, Jake, and Syd. At that moment, Lumina chose to return to share important details:

“Alright, you’re up! Once the doors open, just stand tall and proud, walk in at ease and approach the Princesses. You’ll know what to do when you get there, trust me,” the mare quickly uttered with a beaming smile. All nodded at her and looked forward, but not before Jake also had the final word:

“We’ll just have to wait and see what happens, but for now, let’s enjoy the ride while we’re on it,” he concluded encouragingly right as the throne room doors opened. The throne room was covered in decour of both Equestrian and Federation design including national flags and the GF insignia. Royal Guards flanked every pillar in the room and a massive red carpet lead from the throne room doors straight to the Princesses, who had just finished giving a small speech to the spectators after honoring others. On Celestia’s left, stood all six Elements of Harmony plus Spike, clad in gorgeous dresses and a sharp tuxedo respectively. High ranking military officials from both the Federation, Equestria, The Griffon Kingdom, as well as dozens beyond dozens of soldiers who were previously recognized were present. Video cameras were also set up, broadcasting live to all areas under Galactic Federation purview, while news unicorns projected the scene around the capital and to be relayed around Equestria.

“And now…” Luna proclaimed through a slightly amplified voice. “Will Crusader-Vector Joint Task Force please approach the throne?” she beckoned. That was it. On cue, the eight soldiers strode forward with a proud posture in a straight line. They formed an alternating pattern of human-equine-human to communicate unity and trust, a big deal especially since they were being filmed for all of Equestria and the Federation to see. Chances were, even the Chairman was watching.

The eight stopped just in front of the throne setup, and Luna continued to speak:

“These brave soldiers were part of an experiment concocted with no preparation… an experiment of whether two physically different, intelligent species hailing from unfathomably foreign walks of life and possessing vast differences in technology could truly bond and coexist. This unit not only proved this hypothesis true, but they were the most effective fighting unit on the battlefield during the short yet destructive conflict. By my own observations as a militarist of well over several millennia, I decree this ‘experiment’ an overwhelming success.”

Starry spared a glance and smile upward at Nathan, the latter returning the gesture as they continued to face forward. The Element Bearers all wore genuine smiles as they looked on. Luna looked down upon the eight with endearment to her own troops and gratitude to the humans, before speaking once more:

“Thus, in agreement with the command of these valiant warriors, it is with utmost pleasure that I award you, Nathan Krandor, Starlight Noctus, Jacob Dittmar, Constant Function, Sydney Exeter, Windfire Galeforce, Arianna Guerrera, and Radiance Emeralda… the Celestial Valor, the highest medal that Equestria may bestow.” Princess Luna produced a rectangular, wooden box that upon opening, revealed eight medals. Each medal took the ‘yin-yang’ form with Celestia’s Sun and Luna’s Moon composed of pure gold and silver respectively. The box still in her magical grasp, Luna gently trot down the steps leading up to her throne and personally placed the medals on each individual soldier’s chest, the accolade sticking like a magnet to the armor. She gave a smile, a curt nod, and a hoof shake to all eight of them.

When the final medal was bestowed, grand applause erupted from the crowd, to which Luna, Celestia, and the Elements all joined in on (with hoof stomps, of course).

It was a proud moment for all of CV-Squad.

As the cheering continued, Rainbow Dash leaned into Rarity and whispered:

“Where’s Samus?”

“Probably waiting. It will be her time when it is her time,” the gorgeous fashionista replied, flipping her hair and continuing her dignified applause.

“She has to be next. There was no one else to honor on the roster,” Twilight commented.

“Wouldn’t be an award party without the guest of honor!” Pinkie Pie exclaimed, bouncing up and down excitedly, eager to see the woman in question.

“Think she’ll come in a dress?” Applejack asked humorously, earning a snicker from Rainbow Dash.

“Oh believe me, Darling, I tried. She flat out refused. At the very least, though, she let me clean her hair, her face, and her usual… what does she call it… her ‘Zero Suit,’” Rarity replied seriously, Rainbow Dash having to stifle her laughter along with Applejack. They just could not see Samus in a dress.

“I think she looks quite pretty in it, regardless,” Fluttershy voiced honestly, the others nodding and bobbing their heads in synchronous agreement. At that moment, CV-Squad chose to step aside and join the ranks of honored soldiers in the crowd in the front row. The applause died down and Celestia held up her hoof to signal for silence before she began to take her turn to speak:

“Now, we have come to the conclusion of our ceremony and as such, we shall honor one more; one who bears nearly all of the responsibility of our success and survival; one whose aggression, determination, and confidence allowed us to rally behind her. A battle-hardened warrior through and through, yet through her stoic exterior she harbors a caring, generous heart able to warm others through the coldest of nights… will Samus Aran please approach the throne?” Celestia finished right as the throne room doors opened, revealing the Zero Suit-clad Huntress standing tall and content.

Samus entered the light of the throne room and strut forward at a respectable pace, all eyes upon her as she bore her gaze forward. A few things were noticeable immediately: firstly, her Zero Suit was absolutely pristine, having been washed and polished to Rarity’s neurotic standards. Secondly, her hair, tied in its usual ponytail fashion with the two omnipresent locks framing her face, had been washed and conditioned, split ends had been taken care of entirely, and it had been somewhat straightened, also courtesy of Rarity; as well, her natural blonde color seemed much more prominent. Thirdly, her face was cleaned to perfection with nary a blemish on her, and though she would refuse to admit it if asked, the slightest hint of coloring was added for purposes of presentation.

As she continued her saunter towards the Princesses, the Mane Six could not help but stare at her with an odd sense of surprise. There was no question that they all saw her as a friend and held a deep respect for her, as well as acknowledging the fact that as a warrior constantly deployed, she had little time or patience to devote to personal appearance. Nevertheless, Samus held a sense of innate appeal, all who laid eyes on her knew she was undoubtedly beautiful beyond the roughly brushed, slightly greasy, unkempt hair and dried, sweat-laden face. Rarity looked on with pride over her ‘work,’ yet all seven were thinking exactly what Spike voiced:

“She certainly cleans up nicely,” he commented under his breath.

“Not bad…” Rainbow Dash breathed.

“Keep yer wings down, partner,” Applejack sternly joked.

“Oh shut up,” Rainbow rebutted, nudging her friend with her shoulder.

“They’re addressing her now, shut the buck up!” Twilight scolded both of them through her teeth, keeping a bright smile on her face.

Indeed, Samus had concluded her walk right in front and center of both thrones, crossing her forearms behind her back and straightening her posture even more. She, Celestia, and Luna all sported proud grins, the princesses looking down upon her from their slightly raised positions.

“Samus Aran,” Luna began announcing. “The actions you have performed and the responsibilities you have taken on in Equestria’s name… are beyond words. Mere statements of eternal gratitude and indebtedness would offer little in the way of value or compensation, in our personal opinions. This is why, we have two things to offer you…” she continued, Samus’s complexion becoming more stoic out of respect as she stayed silent, waiting for the next words.

“Samus, you are not part of any formal military nor security force, which is why awarding you the Celestial Valor would be inappropriate. As stated previously, we have two things to award you with… both of which you may accept or reject at your own discretion. Firstly, Celestia, I, and all of Equestria would be honored if you would allow us to knight you as an eternal hero of our great nation!” Luna proclaimed, eliciting several murmurs and gasps from the equines in attendance. All of the Mane Six plus Spike were greatly impressed.

“Whoa…” Spike muttered.

“Do you accept?” Luna asked softly, locking eyes with the Hunter.

“Yes, Princess,” Samus agreed with a nod, a pleased, gentle upturn of her lips gracing her features once more. Acknowledging her decision with a nod of her own, Princess Luna trot down to Samus.

“Very well, then…” Luna spoke before conjuring her magical sword for all to see. “If you would, Samus…” she did not even have to finish the sentence, the Hunter understanding the message immediately and kneeling down, resting her left forearm on her left knee and quad while her right lay stretched out behind her. She bowed her head marginally, the small, contented grin not leaving her face.

“Loyalty and Generosity...” Luna tapped the flat of her cast blade on Samus’s right shoulder, the magic giving off somewhat of a cooling sensation. “Honesty and Laughter...” The Lunar Princess tapped Samus’s left shoulder. She then carefully placed the blade under Samus’s chin, aiming it towards her heart. The Hunter adjusted her head as necessary. “...Kindness…” Luna then finished by gingerly tracing a straight line from the human’s chest to her forehead. “... and Magic. All six qualities that promote the spread of Harmony, yet in no way limited to the Bearers themselves,” she continued, Celestia looking on proudly while the Mane Six plus Spike observed intently, having never witnessed a knighting ceremony.

“In displaying and holding true to these traits in the most trying of times, you, Samus Aran, have gone above and beyond the call, and are hereby knighted as a True Hero of Equestria for all of eternity!” the Night Princess decreed. “Rise, noble warrior,” Luna finished, offering her hoof to Samus. The latter accepted the gesture and she rose to her feet to the sound of glorious applause and cheers.

“Thank you, Your Highness,” Samus finally had the chance to speak, shaking Luna’s hoof with gratitude. Celestia held out her hoof again, calling for silence.

“Finally,” Luna began speaking again. “Do you recall an offer that I extended to you previously on behalf of both Celestia and I?” she asked, referring to the offer of legal Equestrian residency upon discovery that Samus had lacked a place to truly call home. Spectators were left in the dark, however, by lack of context.

“I do, Princess.”

“And have you come to a decision at all?” Celestia inserted herself, asking the question.

“I have...” Samus replied without hesitation, stoicism taking over her complexion once more. All of the Elements and Spike had varying degrees of confusion covering their faces, looking to each other for answers.

“Would you like to let us know of the outcome of your deliberations right here? Or would you rather speak in private?” Luna inquired on her preference. Samus shook her head.

“It doesn’t matter to me. After careful thought…” the Hunter began, sparing a glance at her surroundings, her gaze eventually falling on the Mane Six who all smiled at her excitedly and endearingly. She gave a subtle, amused huff with an accompanying half-smile.

“I… accept your offer.”

Both princess’ reactions were immediate, discernable by simultaneous deep breaths and gratified, full smiles. Princess Luna’s horn flared momentarily and produced a set of papers rolled up into a single scroll, a teal-blue ribbon holding it all together. Twilight recognized the color of the seal immediately, feeling confused yet inexplicably excited at the same time.

“Are… are they…?” she thought out loud, whispering.

“Then these...” Luna magically handed over the ‘sealed’ documents, Samus taking them in her right hand. “...belong to you. Enclosed are your legal residency papers. Welcome to Equestria, Samus,” Luna stated with the proudest smile yet, Samus taking absolutely no issue in reciprocating. Once the words left Her Royal Highness’s mouth, all attendees and honorees erupted in ear-shattering cheers. Samus and Luna shared a firm hand-hoof shake while the Mane Six and Spike were quite literally jumping for joy at the news.


[Twilight’s Library | Five Hours Later]


The front door to the Library opened inward, Twilight, Spike, and then Samus entering inside from the night. The formal ceremony and subsequent celebration lasted a few hours but ultimately, the train-ride back was a bit slower than any of them would have liked. As a result, all were tired and in desperate need of sleep, no one more so than Samus. Spike bee-lined up the stairs into the main bedroom and Twilight tiredly turned to Samus:

“It’s… been a long few weeks, eh?”

“Heh, I’ll say,” she replied tiredly, rubbing both of her eyes with the back of her hands. Everything was starting to catch up with her now, and Samus could tell that she would be getting some of the best sleep of her life. That thought alone made her smile unbidden through her fatigued expression.

She was looking forward to every minute of it.

“Let’s just call it a night, then. The bed in your room has already been made and everything.” Without even thinking due to her weary, clouded mind, she nuzzled the side of Samus’s stomach briefly, the Hunter slightly startled by the sudden action.

“Goodnight, Samus,” Twilight bid, trotting up the stairs and leaving Samus to her own devices before she could properly react. In the end, though, she wasn’t phased at all. Another gentle half-grin worked its way onto her face after mulling over the little display of friendly affection. Having slightly vague recollections of being smothered by six ponies while nearly comatose, Samus mused to herself that she maybe... just maybe, could get used to all of this.

The Hunter took one last look around the darkened Library before heading straight to her room for some much deserved rest and recovery.

I’m gonna sleep the shit out of this bed.

PreviousChapters Next