• Published 4th Apr 2013
  • 29,721 Views, 2,809 Comments

Metroid Equis - Flammenwerfer



A meteor impacts the nation of Equestria, Planet Equis. Tranquility is quickly snuffed out when a poison begins to spread violently. The Princesses cannot combat this unknown threat, as no knowledge of it exists. Help comes from an unexpected source.

  • ...
57
 2,809
 29,721

PreviousChapters Next
7. Ponyville

Metroid Equis

Chapter 7

Ponyville

Nothing moved or sounded in Ponyville through the steady rain. Normally, Twilight enjoyed days like these as all she could really do was stay inside and relax, usually with a good book, some food, etc. Well, she did that anyways no matter the day but at least she had an excuse due to the weather. That suited her just fine. However, it would have suited her even more fine if the current state of affairs was... Nonexistent. Naturally, the worried mare's mind was continuously occupied with the future and safety of her friends and Equestria.

Indeed, that was not too relaxing a thought.

Of course, even through these troubling times, Twilight still managed to find some comfort... but that was ultimately diminished when the gentle white noise of the rain steadily striking her wooden residence was slowly drowned out by an enormous roaring sound that happened to emanate from outside her front door.

"Uhhh... Twilight?" the curious Spike asked in confirmation to the deafening noise as the walls were slightly trembling. Twilight shrugged and cautiously fancied a glance outside her door, gently opening it and peeking outside. There, she found an enormous orange, green, and red carriage-like thing about thirty feet in front of the door.

"Well... didn't expect that," Spike chimed in, having joined Twilight in taking a look. Soon after, a hissing sound resounded from the ship as well as a few metallic clinks, and Samus emerged from the top of the hatch, revealing herself clad in her telltale armor.

"Oh it's you!" Twilight remarked in a friendly manner, opening the door completely and trotting out to meet her right by the enormous carriage that she inferred was Samus's "ship," using some magic to protect her from getting soaked by the rain.

Samus didn't respond but merely hunched down and launched herself off the top of the ship, somersaulting gracefully through the air before landing on her feet in a hunched position to absorb the impact, right in front of the lavender unicorn. She stood back upright after a second or two.

Nope. Still hasn't gotten old.

"Hi, Twilight," Samus finally replied as she took one more step towards the unicorn so they proverbially were face-to-face. Samus believed her visor could perfectly hide her face and subsequently, her emotions which would be on display to the world. Somehow, Twilight was able to see past the visor and to the troubled gaze that lay beneath... probably most given away by the fact that the Hunter's posture was a bit more relaxed than normal. Samus had little idea that the Celestial student was that observant until the unicorn piped up.

"Are you alright, Samus?" Twilight asked, Spike joining her side and both meeting the hunters faceless gaze. Samus heaved a gentle sigh, visible only from her physical breathing patters portrayed by her body. This was an interesting mental development for her: in her (almost) three-day stay in Equestria, Samus was already starting to see the benefits of some regular social contact. It definitely offered others to confide in other than her own mind. However, she didn't spill what was on her mind... As she felt it would be necessary for the Princesses to hear them as well. Samus's form was enveloped in a bright flash of light, diminishing immediately and leaving the Hunter in her Zero Suit; the same stoic expression was ever present on her now visible, fair-skinned face, and remaining that way even as the cool rain ran down her face and figure.

"I'm fine. However I need you to contact the Princesses. Something has happened and they need to hear this as soon as possible," Samus stated. Twilight nodded.

"Alright, not a problem. Let's go inside."

For the short walk back to the front of the house, Twilight extended her magic coverage over Samus, shielding her from the rain. She appreciated the gesture. Soon, the two of them found themselves inside the Library, Samus still somewhat soaking from the rain before Twilight covered her. She honestly didn't know why she unequipped her Varia Suit. Her musing was interrupted when she looked down on Spike, who was handing her a large towel. Samus gave the little dragon a friendly grin and a nod before accepting the fabric, drying her figure off and finishing with wringing her hair out a bit before taking a seat on the armchair.

Ahhhhh... Comfy.

"Spike, Samus needs to send a letter to the Princesses. Take it down for her, will you? And make it top priority," Twilight instructed her assistant as she went to prepare some nourishment for them.

"You got it, Twi," he replied and looked up to Samus, scroll and quill in hand. "Alright, what'll it be?"

Samus pursed her lips in some thought, subconsciously shifting a lock of her hair behind her ear.

"Tell them... My suit has been fixed and is fully operational, save for the lack of a few abilities which were lost in the earlier fight. However, one of my fears has indeed been founded. Luna has some knowledge of the situation as she contacted me a bit earlier but I feel that both of you should be here to hear this and discuss the ramifications of such an event. As such, I formally request an audience with both of you as soon as possible."

Spike continued scribbling for a few more seconds and forcefully punctuated the last sentence with pride.

"Here's what it looks like. Want me to send it?" he asked in confirmation, handing her the scroll. Samus skimmed over the admirably neat writing. It looked great to her.

"Send it."

And like that, the message was away in a burst of fire from the dragon's mouth, who then excused himself to join Twilight. Samus raised a brow but didn't question the method of mail delivery. She spaced out momentarily before opting to go upstairs and change into her newly dubbed 'civilian clothes,' returning to her same position on the chair and letting her hair down.

Twilight and Spike soon returned and indulged Samus with some light conversation over some snacks. Samus didn't reveal anything that happened in the forest, so she just enjoyed the lull in activity while snacking on a cookie of some sorts. Whatever it was, it was good. As with other 'normal' food, sweets were particularly hard to come by for Samus when she was deployed... Which was pretty much all the time anyway. As a result, she treasured and savored sweets whenever she was able to get her hands on them. Six medium sized cookies later, a bright flash of light originated from the middle of the common room, several feet from the three occupants, and died out as fast as it came, leaving Celestia in its place.

"Hello, you three. I'm glad that... Where's Luna?"

Another bright (blue) flash of light illuminated the common room and died out, leaving Luna in the midst of an enormous yawn. She nudged her crooked tiara back in place.

"I'm heeee... Ach! Here." Luna attempted to say through another yawn. She obviously had been forcibly woken up not to long ago.

"Didn't I just talk to you like... half an hour ago?" Samus asked, concerning Luna's state of being dead tired. Luna turned to Samus with droopy eyes.

"As Princess of the Night, I have complete Lucidity in my dreams. I can literally contact you in my sleep... And I did just that," Luna stated somewhat drowsily.

"I see..."

"How are your injuries?" Luna asked drowsily. Samus lifted her shirt up over her midriff, exposing her toned stomach and the healing bruises that lined it.

"Doesn't really hurt anymore compared to earlier, thanks for asking. Any updates on the Phazon spreading?" Samus asked in return. Celestia sighed.

"Most of Manehattan had to either be quarantined or evacuated completely. Sporadic instances of Phazon corruption are dotting areas of Las Pegasus and Detrot. In other words, it's spreading... slowly but surely," she replied. Samus nodded and and a small silence fell upon the four as Samus was lost in her thought.

"At any rate, Samus, you requested an audience?" Celestia stated. Samus nodded and crossed her legs in a lotus position on the chair.

"Well, like last time, I'll get straight to the point. On my leisurely stroll to my ship in order to repair my suit, I discovered a small recon detachment of Space Pirates."

Celestia's expression didn't change all that much and Luna merely held her gaze in deep thought. Twilight also was quite worried and Spike only listened intently. Samus took advantage of the silence and continued speaking:

"It was a small recon group of about ten to fifteen Pirates or so, I wasn't keeping too much count during the skirmish. There's an almost absolute certainty that they relayed their position to one of their fleets, and even my presence when I was forced to engage them."

"Were they the only ones to land?" Celestia asked. Samus... actually didn't consider that. She didn't anticipate the Space Pirates even arriving for at least a week.

"Honesty, I don't know. I didn't anticipate their arrival so soon. The fact that they were that organized and 'on top of their game' so to speak, is quite eye-opening. Going back to being completely honest, I wouldn't doubt if small scouting parties landed sparingly around Equestria."

"What about the rest of the world?" Twilight asked.

"Chances are, like myself and the Federation, that they were able to ballpark the general area where the meteor could have landed by basic probability from its trajectory. They also most likely have the same problem with actually isolating its exact location. With your help in telling me where the meteor actually landed, we have an advantage should the Pirates have already set up forward outposts. I recommend keeping a vigilant eye out and ensuring any military forces you can spare are deploy to areas of suspicion and the nearby civilian areas if any," Samus explained. There was another bout of silence, and Samus, this time, wanted an answer to her statements. The three were obviously thinking over their current predicament while Spike was just silent.

"You would know better than us on how to deal with these Space Pirates. We'll deploy the Guard and the Armed Forces to discussed locations. We will likely consult with you on that matter," Celestia finally responded. Samus gently nodded.

"That's fine by me. But, a warning: The Space Pirates are ruthless. They care not for other lives but their own... sometimes that's even questionable. Their only goal is power... power to fight against the Federation. They will slaughter any ponies they come across, if not capture them for experiments. Do not attempt to reason with them. If they attack first, or you even find a patrol of them wandering around, dispatch them with utmost prejudice," Samus proclaimed. Celestia and Twilight were taken aback by this, while Luna seemed indifferent either way.

"Samus, please bear in mind that Equestria hasn't been to war in nearly a thousand years. Issuing a terminate-on-sight protocol could be a bit... problematic."

"Your armed forces... what are they trained to do?" Samus asked, knowing the answer already.

"They're trained soldiers," Celestia responded.

"And what do trained soldiers do?"

"They defend their homeland from whatever threat rises against it."

"And what does that often entail...?"

Celestia didn't show it but she knew she was beaten.

"Loss of life will be inevitable."

"Indeed it will be. The Space Pirates have no qualms with genocide. You can either fight back and defend your subjects, or leave them to fend for themselves. What's it gonna be, Princesses?" Samus asked, still slightly irritated with their attitude towards conflict... but then again, what else could she expect from a nation dedicated to peacekeeping?

Celestia lowered her head in admission and turned towards Luna. Luna had a stoic look on her face but soon met her eyes with Celestias. Seeming to communicate instantaneously by mind, Luna concluded their little glance with a curt nod.

"Very well, Samus. We shall place our forces on high alert and issue the necessary orders to effectively combat the Pirates should the need arise," Celestia acquiesced.

"I knew you would understand," Samus replied sincerely.

"And suppose we do uncover an outpost...?" Luna proposed.

"Inform me of its location and I'll infiltrate it and destroy it, along with any Pirates I find."

"Alright. What will you be doing as of now? The main priority is still the spread of the Phazon!" Luna pointed out.

"I'm well aware of that, but after the fight with the ghosts, things have become more... complicated. I've lost most of my equipment... again. I thought just this once I could go without losing or having some creatures stealing my shi—ahem... getting said equipment stolen. As a result, I'll have to procure replacements." Samus bitterly replied.

"How would you do that? I'm pretty sure anything physical we have to offer in terms of technology won't be compatible," Twilight observed. The others nodded in agreement.

"Either way, it poses a problem. I was counting on my arsenal to be able to combat the Phazon and the Pirates with maximum effectiveness. Having only two weapon systems in my standing state doesn't suit my fancy. The Federation can only send me so many things in certain amounts of time and I can only make so much with my current skill set in construction, circuits, and what not."

Luna had a thoughtful look on her face.

"Your Kinesis... is it still active?"

"Actually yes... I had to use it against a Pirate Trooper."

"Your... what is it, Grapple Beam?" Samus nodded. "Your grapple beam acts as a magical link to your body. We can probably exploit that and restore some of your weaponry, or simply create our own," Luna proposed. This piqued Samus's interests.

"You could transfer a whole weapon system via magic?" Samus asked incredulously.

"But of course, that's the point! As I've heard some of my younger subjects state: 'It's magic. Ain't gotta explain shit.'"

Samus gave a sensible chortle.

"Fair enough. And as well, I have a hunch what you might mean, but could you clarify what you meant by 'creating your own?'" Samus asked.

"Of course. Many of the threats you face here will have certain vulnerabilities that we know of through our magic. We can channel different kinds of weaponized magic into your cannon and ensure full adaptive capabilities of our own design. However, cross-engineering takes an enormous amount of magic, so we wouldn't be able to simply replace your entire weapon systems in one spell."

"I figured as much with the last addendum. Then I'll have to resort to other magic found unnaturally on the planet. On the quick flight back here, my scanners picked up some anomalies of magical origin in different areas of Equestria. Chances are these areas will hold the keys to rearmament," Samus speculated. Celestia seemed doubtful.

"How can you be sure that random 'magical powerups,' for lack of proper nomenclature and the purposes of over-simplicity, will just be readily discovered and or uncovered through exploration?" the Solar Princess asked. It almost seemed... too linearly planned for it to be an actual reality. Samus shrugged.

"Let's just say from my years and years of experience... I merely have a hunch. The Chozo also seem to enjoy leaving things of great power behind for a random wanderer to stumble upon. As well, my exploration and search may indeed aid me in that little... assignment you gave me. It's relevance coincides with the direct mission at hand and the two will likely cross paths very soon."

"The Chozo?" Twilight and Celestia asked, having heard Samus mention the name before but not seeing the connection.

"The Visitors," Luna uttered. The two other mares connected the dots almost immediately. Luna had forgotten to mention Samus's colloquially recognized name for The Visitors while explaining the events to Celestia and Twilight. Soon enough, all matters had been covered.

"Well, thanks for listening, Princesses. Better earlier than never to get started on some searching and digging. The faster I'm up to full strength, the faster we can ultimately deal directly with the Phazon core," Samus noted. She then stood up, along with the other mares. Luna, however, wasn't done with her own thoughts.

"Samus, would you mind equipping your suit? I believe I have something for you," Luna stated, still halfway in thought, as if she was trying to figure semantics out in her head.

"Umm, sure. One moment," Samus stated, bounding up the stairs and reappearing with her Zero Suit before equipping her Varia Suit in a bright flash of light. Luna walked forward and circled around the Hunter, Samus and the others curiously watching the Lunar Alicorn's movements.

"Extend your cannon, please?" Luna asked. Samus complied without a word as she straightened her cannon out in front of her. Luna's eyes roamed over its features... Gazing as if attempting to find a way inside it. She started gently tapping the green, seemingly nigh indestructible metallic appendage with her horn before charging it. Her horn became enormously bright, almost blinding, before the magic slowly diffused out of the spiraled appendage and into Samus's arm cannon. The teal blue aura seemed to surround the cannon and slowly but surely seep into it as Luna poured more and more magic into it.

[Data transfer in progress...]

This is interesting...

[Arm cannon has been magically charged! Weapons Systems may now assimilate magic-based weaponry.]

Before Samus could even react to that statement, her visor cut her off once more as magic continued to pour into her cannon and consequently, her suit:

[Data transfer in progress...]

"Luna... What are you giving her?" Celestia asked. Luna only smiled as magic continued to pour out of her horn.

"Oh, just a little something of mine..."

The flow of magic abruptly stopped as Samus's arm cannon lit up with such luminosity that it shown almost bright white. Soon the magic dissipated, leaving her cannon glowing as if she acquired a new weapon. Samus felt her cannon grow unstable as was common when something new assimilated.

Samus felt this new weapon embed itself in place of her former wave beam. She felt compelled to relieve the cannon and as if Luna knew what was going to happen, she magically opened the front door as Samus took aim and fired. The cannon emitted a loud, almost distorted firing explosion as Samus shot. A single teal projectile a bit larger than a Power Beam shot left the gun barrel with a subtle trail of what looked like star dust, slamming into a nearby tree with enormous kinetic energy. All that remained was a singed, destroyed area on the bark that was left with an iconic magical burn. Twilight and Celestia looked on, Twilight staring with wide eyes and Celestia with a gentle look of surprise. Luna wore a smug grin on her muzzle.

Samus was pretty impressed with the results although she was still trying to process the events, as the final assimilation all transpired in about five seconds. She examined her cannon, which took on its Wave Beam orientation. However, instead of the purple, coursing electricity, she found a black, navy blue and violet twinkling night sky within the cannon's rifts. It was as if she was looking into deep space.

[Night Beam Acquired!]

[Lunar magic has augmented your arm cannon and allowed the assimilation of the Night Beam. The Night Beam is similar to your power beam, but differs in the respect that its projectile is magical energy rather than hard light. Use this new weapon against entities which would otherwise be extremely resiliant or bear immunity to your other weapon systems.]

"Well then... I can't wait to have a rematch with those damn spirits," Samus finally said as she examined her cannon. Luna chuckled and Celestia mustered a smile.

"Your first magic based weapon, one of my favorites of I do say so myself. Simple yet effective. This will allow you to engage magical entities at range rather than up close," Luna added. Samus nodded to her.

"Thanks."

"Twas no trouble."

"Samus, tomorrow I wish to discuss a development in the Cloudsdale incident. I believe we may have found something and I won't know until then, when the investigative report is in my hooves," Celestia stated. The Hunter nodded to her as well.

"Very well. Then in the meantime, I'm off to do some exploring," Samus said as she took a couple tentative steps towards the door.

"Where will you go?" Twilight asked.

"My ship's scanners have picked up suspected areas of ruin sites; Chozo origin most likely."

"That may be true, but realize that the Alicorns and Visitors lived in cooperation, often times with each other. You may stumble into Alicorn ruins as well. Take heed, for spirits may still lurk there," Luna pointed out.

"Thanks for the tip. I'll be in touch," Samus acknowledged. She nodded in thanks to the Princesses and Twilight before exiting out the door and bounding up and into her ship. The three mares watched as the ship's engines roared to life and rose up through the rain and disappeared into the white cloud canopy, it's sound slowly dying out as it cruised towards the Everfree.

The three plus Spike continued to watch as Samus's ship eventually faded from hearing.

"Princess Luna, weren't we supposed to give her magic training?" Twilight suddenly remembered. Luna chuckled along with Celestia.

"Indeed. We did say that we would, but worry not. I've already anticipated her destination. She will... 'receive' her training," the Dark Alicorn replied cryptically.


[High Command of the Galactic Federation]

[To: Samus Aran]

Thank you for the update on the situation. The news of the Space Pirates establishing a foothold on the planet in such a small time frame is concerning. Address the Pony Leadership as to the increased likelihood of direct Federation intervention at next next opportunity. In the meantime, work to replace your equipment and achieve maximum efficiency to combat the Phazon. We will aid you when possible in that respect. Other than that, your actions are at the discretion of these Princesses.


The Hunter sat comfortably in her chair as her gunship cruised comfortably and fairly slowly (relatively speaking). Looking over the maps that were given to her, Samus made the obvious conclusion that no sites worthy of exploration were near or in civilized centers. The closest ruins site besides Nightshade Temple was, according to her scanners, located somewhere in the deeper Everfree, where popular nomenclature referred to this lost area as Starfall Fortress. According to research able history, this place was built by the Chozo and Alicorns as an "impenetrable" fortress against the Dragon Hordes.

"A fortress. As good of a place to start as any I suppose."

Samus soon closed in on her destination, obscured by enormous cloud coverage, and descended into the canopy, once again finding a suitable clearing for her ship due to luck. Samus heard nothing but the sounds of the sense forest, this time even farther from Ponyville, as she exited her ship via the hatch. She checked her map, noting that nothing was explored, as she expected, save for a place of interest, an even larger area than from her previous adventure with Luna, this time known as The Siege Front.

Samus figured that if this area was that enormous, then the Fortress itself must be a lost wonder of the world. Samus opted to just leap off her ship and land on the ground comfortably. Arming her Power Beam, she followed her map into the forest in search of Starfall Fortress, eager to see what laid inside.

PreviousChapters Next